Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan

Comments

• tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    Has anyone heard about the T&C getting the 4.0 engine or the option for the 4.0 instead of the 3.8 (like the GC has for Dodge) before the end of the model year?

The latest news doesn't show that the 4.0 will be an option on any of the other T&C packages anytime soon but it is standard on the Limited.

You can see a quick video of it if you'd like. I know, it's not the same. :(

2008 Town & Country Engines
  • odymommaodymomma Posts: 6
    Great review. We di similar and at first purchased a 2007 Odyssey based on Edmunds and CR but after 7 months and 5,000 mi. realized it was a huge mistake. The ride was NOISY and the mpgs were only 13.9 in town driving. We decided to go back to a T&C but ended up with a GC 28M /with Leather, DVD's, and Sirius TV. Love it couldn't be happier. People need to take professional reviews with a HUGE grain of salt.
  • I am in the buying process now. Test drive a Sienna and did not care for it. The Odyssey was ok, but I dislike most Honda vehicles. The Town and Country is my fav by far.
  • scoutllscoutll Posts: 40
    After our comparisons, we were sure it was going to be the Town and Country, but ended up with the Grand Caravan. They happened to have one of each that were basically identical. The only differences were the T&C had remote start and the Grand Caravan had Automatic Climate Control. Town and Country was about $800 more. The real kicker in the end was my wife prefered the dash on the Grand Caravan over the T&C.. That is, until we were driving home and she realized that on the Dodge she couldn't see the speedometer from the passenger seat.......... Hee Hee Hee ;)

Right now we are getting 20.4 mpg doing about 60/40 short highway/city driving.
    It is very close to our 2003 Grand Caravan with the 3.3.

By the way... After the comparisons, if the Chrysler twins had not existed we would have "settled" for the Hyundai.

Order of finish in our tests were:

1. Dodge/Chrysler (finish order here is really just visual and trim preferences )

3. Hyundai
    4. Kia
    5. Honda
    6. Toyota
  • sean9sean9 Posts: 82
    Any one else experience a rather loud and annoying exhaust ping after driving your 08 GC and parking it. Goes for a good 5 min until it cools down. Is this normal?
    Goes for a good 5 min until it cools down. Is this normal?

Yes. I noticed my Sebring doing that when it was new. It still does it a little after 7,000 miles but it doesn't seem as loud as it did at first.
  • scoutllscoutll Posts: 40
    Mine pings a bit for a couple minutes after it's parked. The only time I really notice it is when it's inside the garage though.. I think it is coming from the exhaust heat shields around the catalytic converter. They heat up and expand while driving, then ping a bit while cooling down. I have heard a lot of cars do it. The loudest one I ever owned was a 97 Ford Explorer.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    I must question your claim of very poor mileage with an Odyssey. My 2006 Odyssey EX-L now has 45,000 very mixed use miles. The van has averaged 20+ mpg since Day One. The lowest mpg I have experienced is 19 in stop and go and extended idling usage. I average 25 mpg on the highway at 70 mph.

Yes, we have to doubt reviews by publications accepting advertising dollars from the same manufacturers whose product is being reviewed. It is for that reason I read Consumer Reports but even then I I try to get as much other independent information before making a purchasing decision. These forums are an excellent source of real owner data.
  • rktechrktech Posts: 25
    ...odymomma...I have an 06 Ody with only about 20k miles. I have to say that it's just recently started to get good mileage. Most of my driving is in town, and that remains in the mid-teens, while highway mileage has just started to reach 22 mpg.

If a Dodge or Chrysler gets better than that from day one, I'd like it just swell. My lease is up in October, so I'm exlporing the possibilities of the GC.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    I asked my dealer/service proffesional about the exhaust ping, I also thought something is wrong, since my recent Dodge van did not do this. But he stated it is perfectly normal. But I feel that this should not happen... Overall, I think Chrysler still needs to improve in the powertrain dept. and driving dynamics - improve NVH is the most important, fuel effecincy next, and the handling also needs big improvement.

Chrysler is promising some interesting updates for the '09 model year (built-in Wi-Fi?), but I would beg them to take care of the basics first. More comfortable seats in rear. Quieter engines. I would also love to see the glove boxes lighted.

And please, PLEASE!! bring back the wiper de-icer. And redesign the HVAC controls so it should be more simple, especially the Automatic.
    Also one other thing I notice about my 08GC van is when turning, (could be left or right) once in a while I get a short metal scraping sound. Hard to explain a sound but kind of like the spring is grinding, or adjusts incorrectly. The sound is very brief less than 1 sec, and only seems to occur if the van is turning at slow speed perhaps on an unever surface? I plan on brining it is for service the week, just curious if anyone else experiences this.
  • asdrew1asdrew1 Posts: 19
    On my van, it took 2 trips to identify the source of the low speed noise. It was a problem with a c-clip on the left front axle nut, which was binding on something, then being released in slow left turns.
    thanks I will be informing the dealership when i bring it in, this information is very helpful
    Oh also do you know if they had to change the C-Clip, or make some adjustment? And has the problem gone away since the change?? Mine is also on a Left turn, but sounds like it is coming from the driver side front wheel.. Is this the same side as yours?
  • asdrew1asdrew1 Posts: 19
    Yes, that sounds the same as mine. On the service ticket, they wrote "removed c-clip spring from front axle nut. Binding on steering."

I assume that they meant removed and replaced, removed and adjusted or something like that. I didn't read the exact words until I got home so I did not question the wording.

Not one more noise since then!
    Ok well i finally had my Van in for service. The service tech drove the van and was able to duplicate the noise on the slow left turn. The apparent cause was Backing plates were touching lower control arms on full turns. Adjusted Both FRT Backing Plates. So I will be monitoring to see if this fixes the problem.

Plus they reprogrammed the van to fix the sliding door problems. And also found the Rad Cap was leaking, apparently this is a common problem on the new 08 GC and the Cap needed replacing with a different one. Anyone else experience this?
  • cinann131cinann131 Posts: 27
    Took van into the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the problem. Have you or anybody else been successfull at having this taken care of? We moved the roof rails, then removed them, but it did not stop the whistling...we were hoping that was the cause. Any one? help?
  • I have not had that issue, but I have heard others complaining of radiator cap issues. I saw pictures of the original somewhere and I had a different one. But mine was made in April 08. There is a service bulletin out on it.
    Since it has been a few days since your post regarding the service, did the noise on the slow left turn stop after the service? Mine is going in end of week for second time as they were unable to duplicate the problem the first time. I am taking info from these boards in hopes that it will help them fix this.
    The noise has not occured again since the service. It appears they have resolved the problem. I would get the dealer to check for any signs of wear or rubbing on the lower control arms. Even if they can not duplicate the noise they may be able to see where it was rubbing.

Also the sliding doors have been working 100% since the software upgrade.
  • odymommaodymomma Posts: 6
    You can question it all you like but it is fact. The worst I got over 5000 mi was in the 9 mpg range the best was 18 all highway. With gas the price it is that was not acceptable. The Ody also had bad wind noise/windshield whistle and rattleling rear doors. I most certaintly did not buy a new car with a sticker of over 29,000 to have to trade it with in 7 months of ownership. If you'll look the '07 don't seem to get good mileage at all and especially the LX/EX engine. The EX-L/Touring supposedly gets bettter mpgs because of the VCM but it's louder/vibrations. AS you said your mpgs are mixed mine are strictly in town stop & go many cold starts. My GC now has 1700mi on it and I've been averaging 17 in town and on the 1 trip all highway of 280mi including rush hour stop & go through NYC highways(Van Wyck & 95) 2 times it got 23.9 so I'm pleased. :shades:
    Anyone experience the audio in the van just stop working for no reason at all. I was driving the Van all day and towards the end of the trip the radio just stopped playing sound, I tried playing DVD, CD, AM,FM, turning the Van on and off, the Audio would not come back. Then after I got home I let the van cool down for about 15 min then went back turned the key and the sound came back? :confuse: Only has happened once but makes me wonder why that would occur. It was a very hot day outside.
  • bzhnbzhn Posts: 7
    I'm having the same problem. I believe this is a firmware issue with the MyGIG system. I'm planning on getting it updated at the dealer next week. If you feel like doing it yourself, go to the unofficial MyGIG website at:

mofv.com/mygig/

Is this the only issue you've had with the minivan?
    No I have had several issues. All which I have been discussing in this forum.

Most have been resolved, but since I had the software in the Vans computer upgraded I have had this temporary loss of audio on the radio. Now I live in Canada, and the radio I have is standard. No U connect, nav or anything like that. Just the touch screen with the DVD player and hard drive. These radios need upgrading in the software then? Why wouldnt the dealer/chrysler have a tech bullition for this to be done on all the vans as they come in for service?
    I currently have REN 8.4, I will try and upgrade the My GiG to the current 9.112ver and see if the problem re occurrs.
  • bzhnbzhn Posts: 7
    These radios need upgrading in the software then?
    Apparently so, as do most consumer products today that have any sort of computer chip in them: digital cameras, dvd players, etc. and, of course, computers and their operating systems.

Why wouldnt the dealer/chrysler have a tech bullition for this to be done on all the vans as they come in for service?
    I have no idea. I'm new to the Chrysler experience, having dealt with VW exclusively in the past. Customer service with VW was great, from automatic notifications of any vehicle issues to getting loaner cars when the vehicle was in for any maintenance or service. So far so good with Chrysler, but I'm not expecting any loaner cars and am looking into purchasing Chrysler's Alternate Transportation plan.
    Acutally after reading a few posts on the mofv.com/mygig/ website if I change my software to 9.112 I will lose the capibility of watching the DVD on the front LCD screen. The wife like this as she can watch movies on long trips. Plus I am not even 100% sure if the upgrade will resolve the audio issue anyways?
    I am with you, I used to drive VW exclusive. Since the family is expanding I made the move to Chrysler. Not quite the same service as VW on these issues. Mind you I would never expect these kinds of problems with VW products. The loaner car thing is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], I just opt to using the curtosy shuttle, means alot of vehicle down time with all these minor service stops. As for their loaner program, I have a hard time spending any more money on these types of things. Where does it end.

bzhn why not just upgrade the MyGiG software yourself. Seems straight forward. and do you know if the software upgrade will resolve the problem for sure? The mofv.com/mygig site re posted the 8.4ver ((There is an issue with REN radios that have factory uconnect when upgrading beyond 8.400. Uconnect still works fine, but voice command button does not. )) So upgrading to the 9.112ver you need to be aware of this. Plus you can always go back to 8.4.
    Acutally after reading a few posts on the mofv.com/mygig/ website if I change my software to 9.112 I will lose the capability of watching the DVD on the front LCD screen.

Be careful of which version your download. That 9.112 sounds like the one for MyGIG with nav. Your unit will say something like RER or REN on the front bottom right in tiny letters. Be sure and d/l the software update for the correct version. I can't access the unofficial MyGIG website here at work, so I'm just going by memory.

Also, on the DVD while moving, there apparently is ONE software version which works with some units that will let you watch a movie while in motion. If you update the software you'll lose that capability. I guess it's a trade-off if you'd rather deal with the occasional muted audio.

There are aftermarket products that you can purchase which will let you view a front seat movie while in motion but they're around $300. They will also let you use the touchpad keyboard while moving and a few other things.
    After second trip for service, the tech was able to locate the problem causing the loud clunk/metal sound when turning slowly all the way to left then back to right again.
    Here is what is written on my invoice: "Lower control arm hitting front backing plate...removed both front brake calipers and brake rotors. Remove front brake backing plate and grind off 3/4 inch from backing plate so will clear from hitting on turns."
    It has only been a few hours, but when I make the slow left turn into a parking space, all is quiet!
    Hope this helps someone else and I'll let you all know if the noise returns.
    My sliding doors also, have been working 100% since the upgrade to the software.
    The tech and service manager were not able to duplicate the whistling noise, but the mgr. suggested it may be that the windshield needs resealed. He even went for a ride with me, but of course the van did not whistle! Anyone else have their windshield resealed?