Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• klkrauseklkrause Posts: 96
    Yeah, get the Firestone Wilderness AT's ... I've heard there are a lot of them out there right now! Heh heh!

Mine came with Goodyears and I've been happy with those so far. Any problems with the Uniroyals? I can't think of anything problems with 'em ...
  • tvbraintvbrain Posts: 10
    My wife is dead set on an '01 Expedition. We can buy through Ford's X-plan, so it's a done deal. I'm wondering if the vibration problem will show up on the freeway on a test drive? Is it something that I can have repaired on a Due Bill?
    Plus, CarsDirect.com has 2wd XLT's listed at under invoice. Anybody else getting them for that cheap?
  • sstaylorsstaylor Posts: 35
    klkrause,

I actually think they are using General Tires (Grabbers?). I had read on previous posts that people were disappointed with their performance (but no blowouts...).

Yeah, that's the ticket. I'll switch to Wilderness ATs. They'll probably give me 2 sets just to get rid of them.

Thanks,
    SST
  • sstaylorsstaylor Posts: 35
    Greetings,

I have a dilemma, and I am seeking some advice. I am trying to decide between to EBs. One has the factory rear seat entertainment system, the other is being offered with an after market system. Has anyone out there had any experience with the factory unit or the after market systems from Audiovox? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    SST
  • la1010la1010 Posts: 1
    Purchased 2000 Expedition with 23,000 miles approx 4 months ago. We love the vehicle except that it ocassionally stalls when coming to a stop. Seems to happen when there's only 1/4 tank of gas of less. It restarts and is fine for awhile. Dealer has it for the first time and is unable to find the problem. When put on computer, it doesn't register any code. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?
  • alsuudalsuud Posts: 1
    I bought 2000 EB 4x4 in Jan'00 and have driven 9000 miles so far without any mechanical problems. It still looks like brand new and smell like brand new,... kind of...

See, the interior has very strong odor. My wife says "It's new car smell". I don't know if it comes from A/C,vent or leather seats, but it's definitely not a new car odor. It's more like some kind of chemical or petroleum odor. It is a sharp, unpleasant smell. It started bothering me after driving a few months when I started smell it in or out of the car and day in day out. Sometimes I don't drive it a week or so, but I smell the odor everywhere I go and constantly. The smell become specially strong when I come close to varnished furniture, plastics, etc.

Does anybody have similar problem or know anything about it?
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    I Have had some experience with the Ford stalling problem, but not with this Expedition. I had a 98 Explorer that would stall at unpredictable intervals, usually when attempting to start off at a light or stop sign. we had it for 2 years and 35k miles and "it could not be reproduced" in the words of the serv. dept after 2 years we gave up and traded in on a new 01 PF. That was the best decision we have made in a long time. Man the Pathfinder is a great, quality, tight vehicle.
    Anyway, back to my story. Ford seems to have a stalling problem over many different models. Several of my friends who have explorers had the same problems, a Co-worker with a 1999 XLT Expedition has had Her's stall on a few occasions. California is considering forcing Ford to do a mass recall (if it hasn't happened already) due a stalling problem in several models from the early to mid 90's. The point is you are not alone, but it is unlikely to be fixed. If you had somekind of purchase return warranty on your Expedition, I would return it now and try your luck with a different one. Our 2000 EB Expy has not yet reared the stalling monster's head.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    The vibration happens at 1600 rpm between 60-65 mostly. It is easier to fell when you approach a grade and try to maintain speed. It will vibrate until it downshifts. It will keep doing it as long as you like if you prevent the downshift. I don't understand your comment about fixing it - nobody here has been able to get it fixed. If we had, we wouldn't talk about the chronic nature of the problem and the 400 fixes that have been tried.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    Also, (at least with our experience) its more pronouced on smooth blacktop roads than it is on rougher concrete roads. The smoother the road is, the more you notice it.
  • tvbraintvbrain Posts: 10
    >>I don't understand your comment about fixing it - nobody here has been able to get it fixed.<<

I thought I read a few hundered posts back about somebody getting it fixed. Sorry, didn't mean to tweak you so badly.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    With the report last week that Ford was replacing ALL Wilderness AT's, I decided to call the dealer just for the hell of it to put our name on the list to get done.

I figured it would take all summer for them to call me back, but they already called back, and are replacing them this week.

The only problem is, we were hoping for the Michelins, but my dealer is only doing Wrangler RTS's at this point. I guess we'll give them a shot.

Anybody have any feedback on these Goodyears?
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Posts: 146
    Feedback...they are round, black and roll really well. I SERIOUSLY doubt there is any difference on what brand is on there as any kind of feedback from this 3 ton tank is minimal at best.
    tvbrain
    One or two posters did say the issue got better, but most have not been that lucky.

joelis
    I've had the Wranglers on a Bronco and an Explorer, and currently on a Jeep Wrangler and an Expedition. On the Explorer I got 68k on the first set, and still wasn't at the wear indicators. Rode fine, as they currently do on the Expy at 40k. Never any issues of any sort. I was thinking of trying Michelins on the Expedition next only since some have commented that they thought the ride improved. Best ride improvement was Edlebrock IAS shocks on the Explorer and Jeep. I will eventually do it to the Expedition.
  • klkrauseklkrause Posts: 96
    Geez, I think that's pretty generous.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    I put Edelbrock IAS shocks on our '98 Isuzu Trooper when it was only a month old. The ride stiffened and the handling improved dramatically. However, the stiffer ride sure seemed to loosen up lots of squeaks and rattles. It was pretty obnoxious when we traded it for our Expy in January.

Personally, I'll try Bilsteins again when the Expy needs shocks. Their ride isn't as stiff as the Edelbrocks.

I'm also replacing the rubber bushings on the Expys sway bars with polyurethane bushings. I've finished the rear, but really didn't notice a big difference in handling.
    The two vehicles that I did it to didn't have any issues with rattles or shakes (I guess I should say that the Wrangler didn't develop any new rattles). The Explorer stayed rock solid. I will more than likely stay with the Edlebrocks because of the huge increase in handling. I hadn't considered the bushings for much the reasons you mentioned - I wasn't convinced that there would be a benefit. You would probably notice more of a difference if you upgraded the sway bars.
  • cappy1cappy1 Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1998 Expedition with 39,000 miles on it and am looking for advice. I am considering purchasing an extended warranty on the vehicle via warrantybynet.com. Any advice on the need for a warranty and/or purchasing the warranty via the interned will be appreciated.
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    There is no doubt in my mind that you will need the warranty. Get at least 100k mile coverage. It is a piece of mind I now enjoy. I have owned 3 explorers and 1 F150 and without fail they have all had major problems. When we bought the Expy we bought the Premium Care Ford ESP 100k miles and 6 years. Cost us 1400.00, but I can pass 36k miles and not have to worry about trading in a car that is worth less than I owe on it.
  • jmincherjmincher Posts: 65
    I currently own a 1995 Toyota 4Runner. Its been a good vehicle but its not big enough anymore (baby on the way).

There is a local car salesman who purchases wrecked vehicles (salvage titles) and fixes them up. Many people I have talked to have purchased numerous vehicles from him and swear by his work.

The guy is upfront and honest and even has pictures of the vehicles prior to being fixed. I realize I will have trouble on resell but his prices are very good.

He has a 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD White with all the bells and whistles that comes with it. He is asking $19,900 and was told he would come off $500 but that its.

What do you think? Should I go for it?

Thanks in advance.
  • jmincherjmincher Posts: 65
    Sorry it has 39,000 miles on it.

Thanks