Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• sjeskesjeske Posts: 1
    Started my vehicle yesterday and heard a whistling sound. The sound continued as I drove the vehicle. I took it by the Ford dealer and they think it maybe the transmission. They checked for service bulletins on this problem and found none. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The vehicle is 15 months old and has only 16,000 miles.
  • brock55brock55 Posts: 2
    I'm looking at purchasing a new expedition. Was looking at the XLT's but the dealer showed a 01 Eddie Bauer that had 6600 miles put own by the dealer. It is a still considered a new car. They would sell it to mefor 34400. Is that sound like a good deal?
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    We paid only about $2K more than that for a loaded 2001 EB back in January. Seems to me that they could do a bit better, like $33K or so. A friend just bought a nicely loaded 2001 XLT with 13K miles on it for $28K.

BTW- What state do you live in? Hard to believe that 6600 miles still constitutes a "new" truck. Here in Colorado, state law says that once a venicle has over 2000 miles on it, its USED, even if it has never been sold to a consumer.
  • ejzejz Posts: 18
    Just completed a round trip to Texas. Traveled 70 - 75 most of the way and got about 15 MPG for the trip. I have an EB 4X4 with the 5.4 V8. Car now has 1800 miles and seems to be doing fine. Have a small issue with an air leak at high speed in the area of the driver side rear door/window.

Brock55, About the semi-used Expy; We test drove one similar to what you are describing before buying new. I would be cautious because you don't know how it was broken in. As for the price, seems a little high depending on the options. The 34400 sounds like around dealer (after rebate) cost for a new one but with 6600 miles you should be able to get them a little lower.
  • sstaylorsstaylor Posts: 35
    Greetings,

I am in my second week of my new Expy EB. I got a good deal on a lease, and I am happy :^)

...except that Ford went and changed the dipstick on me. My previous Expy, a '98 with the 5.4L, had a cable-type dip stick that was much easier to use. The new truck has a traditional "strap-type" stick. Anyone out there hear anything about why they may have switched?

SST
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    If you have enough free time to ponder the dipstick, I've got lots of stuff around my house you can come do.
  • klkrauseklkrause Posts: 96
    Without knowing the actual cost differences the only reason I can guess Ford made the change was a cost save.
  • brock55brock55 Posts: 2
    The truck is a 2001 Expy EB 4x4. Options include: 2nd row captains chairs, heated seats,moonroof,side airbags,reverse sensing, and dealer installed remote start.

Does 34400 still sound good? Just want to see what anyone else has saw.

Thanks for the help.
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    Hey guys (or gals)
    I'm using a cargo roof carrier for the first time this week. I Have the Expy EB with LLS. I think it raises the car about 1" while in transit. Is there a better position on the roof for mileage or noise. In other words should I put it as far forward as possible, as far back as possible, or somewhere in the middle? Any ideas.
  • tigerstutigerstu Posts: 4
    Is it possible to turn off all interior lights & running board lights when a door is open? This would come in handy when vacuuming or cleaning interior and need doors open. I feel it runs down the battery to have all the interior lights on. Any way this is possible or is it a minimal drain on the battery?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    It is a minimal drain, and after 15-20 minutes they go out if you don't open or close any additional doors.
  • joshuah1joshuah1 Posts: 22
    According to Edmunds, Ford factory rebates of $1500 on the Expedition end on Jul. 2nd. THis rebate has been in place for three months. Any chance it will be extended.
  • settleitsettleit Posts: 9
    See my post on town hall-finance,warranty & Insurance- Ford engine failure 2000 Exp. 17,200 miles - "Firestone tires could blow-out but this could have blown up!" Ford mechanic - -
  • I also find that the lights staying on very annoying. I love to travel in my 97 XLT and sometimes when we go camping I leave the doors open while unpacking. Iam always afraid that I will drain the battery. This would not be good when iam up in the mountains. I found that the third seat overhead light can be turned of by the switch. I bought a big car because I needed it for traveling but why didnt ford think about the lights? I think that the 15 minutes that the doors have to stay open before the light go out as alwaysford described is not a good thing to do because that is still draining the battery. Does anybody know any other possibilities? If so can you please post them.
  • I just bought a 29ft Travel Trailer. Unloaded weight is approximately 5300lbs. Shopping for a vehicle to tow it. Like and can afford a 1998 or 1999 Ford Expedtion - not sure if it can handle the load. The specs on Edmunds say 6100lbs. Am I cutting it too close? Should I be looking at the Chevy Suburban? I am not interested in a pickup truck. I will be traveling mostly shorter distances but there will be the occasional long trip. Any Advice??
  • klkrauseklkrause Posts: 96
    First of all, U.S. automakers generally underestimate the towing capacitities of their vehicles because we have so many lawyers in this country - liability.

Secondly, if you get and Expedition with a 5.4L the towing capacity is 7,300 lbs. so you should have pleny of capability. (This 7,300 lbs is for a 2001 Expedition ... I don't think it was any different a few years ago.?)
  • mstanertmstanert Posts: 2
    I am in the process of buying an Expedition and trying to decide whether to buy one with a 5.4L or 4.6L engine. One dealer I spoke with told me that with the new Trinitron engines the difference in gas mileage will be minimal and would not be noticeable. My question is what kind of gas mileage can I expect, with the 5.4L or 4.6L, in the city and on the highway?
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I have gotten about 10 years to no gallons out of my trinitron. What a great picture!
    (Sorry couldn't resist)

Now for some helpful information. We have the 5.4 L Triton V-8 4wd Eddie bauer and get 14mpg around town and have been getting around 16.5 - 17mpg on long trips depending on the incline. We now have 17,000 on our 2000 Expy. Definitely worth the upgrade to power and quiet ride. Almost idles up small inclines so overall less downshifting and more quiet.
  • sbrotzsbrotz Posts: 1
    I have a 99 EB Expedition with 24K miles. I have recently experienced problems starting the vehicle. When I turn the key in the ignition I get nothing. No cranking of the engine and no clicking sounds. The lights and accessories work. The radio does not. If I wait a while (10 min to 1 hour) the engine will start like there is nothing wrong. Has anyone experienced this kind of problem? Ford service is looking over the vehicle now. Hope they can identify the cause.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    your problem could be a bad ignition switch, or a bad starter. Please let us know what the dealer finds, and what they do to fix your truck. Thanks!