Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• I have Cpatain chairs in the 2nd row. does anyone know if you can fit a bench seat there if you wanted too?If I buy a bench seat if the bolts go in the same place or are they different bolt down patterns?
  • nicolunicolu Posts: 4
    In April 2000, I leased a 2000 E.B. Expedition that will expire this April. My payoff on the lease is 22,5000. It is ia 4x2 with a sunroof, captains chairs, 6 disc, 5.4, heated seats and most other options. I am considering purchasing this one or leasing a 2003. Does anyone know whether the price is consistent with a comparable used model? Is it common for dealerships to reduce a previously negotiated price?

Thanks in advance
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    Ask the guys at "Real World Trade Values" under the Smart Shopper message board. They'll know and will give you a straight answer, but all the rebates on the new ones have shot the heck outta the residual values.
  • I would like to buy the 2003 Expedition. I am worried about quality problems close to job 1 date. It am wondering how long one should wait in order for the quality control problems to be worked out.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Our 2003 review and video clip are available from the Helpful Links toolbar on the left side of the screen.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    From my own experiences, I would wait one or maybe two years BEFORE I would buy a new Expy, due to the problems that occur when the assembly line(s) are first started on a new model.

This is not just Ford or GM, even Toyota had a number of early problems with their Sequoia. Visit the early part of the Sequoia board to see some.

Good luck!
  • I hope Ford has built in a safety feature whereby the rear seat cannot fold up when someone is sitting in it. For example, the back of the vehicle is opened while a child is sitting on the 3rd row seat. Someone or even another child inadvertanly pushes the button and causes the rear seat to fold while a child or anyone is sitting there. This safety concern bothers me.
  • In reference to #608 concerns of 2003 Expy Third Row Power Fold Down Safety Feature. Vehicle must be in park, however, your concern is warranted for there is no other safety feature revealed by ford motor co.
  • Does anyone have a 1998 with a keyless entry number pad on the door?
    I am looking at buy a 1998 EB and I noticed it didn't have one. The Carfax came back clean, but I found it odd that an EB didn't have one and my 1998 Explorer does.

Thanks
  • For: wingnut19...utilizing this website for a used 1998 EB Expedition answer your question. Pad is listed as standard on an EB. Possibility, driver door had to be replaced without pad.
  • eran1eran1 Posts: 17
    The keyless pad started with 1999 expys. Both XLT and EB trims.
  • My 1997 XLT has had three major problems under 100k miles, 1) 50k miles rough running tune-up etc $600+ 2) 72k miles running rough collapsed intake air line $300+ 3) 88k really rough running oxygen sensor, plugs and coils $685. Has anybody else had problems
    like these, any help from Ford? I can't afford to buy vechicles with problems like this. Ford refused to help at all.
  • at 97K miles with no problems. I just hope it keeps on running good.
  • Does anyone know whether Ford sells a second row console for Expeditions with 2nd row captain's chairs? If so, from where can I buy one?

Thanks in advance
  • orkwisorkwis Posts: 82
    I have a 2000 Expedition with almost 24k miles on it and am wondering if anyone uses or knows pros/cons for using synthetic oil in these engines. I know that both Mercedes and BMW use synthetic oil for their machines and quote oil change intervals of about 12k miles. Any suggestions on weight and/or warranty repercussions would also be appreciated.
    We have a 2001 Expy EB, which I have used synthetic oil in since 5000 miles. I use Mobil 1, 0-30w (Ford recommends 5-20w, which isn't available in Mobil 1). No warranty problems. I checked with Ford and my extended warranty carrier prior to doing my own oil & filter changes. I have to keep my receipts and a log.

I've used synthetic oil in all my vehicles for at least 15 years, probably longer, and have never had an oil-related failure of any type. I go about 5000 miles or six months between changes.

Speaking in general terms, if you have an engine that is prone to leaking oil, using synthetic oil may make the problem worse, as it's better lubricating abilities allow it to seep out where dinosaur oil won't.

I break-in my engines on dino oil for 5000 miles before switching, as synthetic's superior lubricating qualities do not let the internal engine parts break-in as they need to. After switching to synthetic, the engines always seem to run smoother, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Another con is the expense of synthetic. I consider the added expense as an insurance premium.
    rickc5: Thanks for the info. Did Ford state a different service interval with the synthetic? 5k oil change interval is the normal driving service interval with dino oil. My purpose in moving to synthetic would be to take advantage of a longer change interval to offset the cost of the oil and avoid shop visits. I've read some BMW posters who claim to have done an oil analysis and found no signs of breakdown at 12k miles. I think they use a Valvoline product but the weight sounds the same.
  • I purchased a 1998 EXP 4.6L new, which now has 38739kms. It has Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires and I average 13MPG city and 17.5 on a trip. Last spring I put on 3400 miles on a trip to Calif.- had no problems. So far I have done nothing to the vehicle other than oil/lube jobs. I read some of the problems other EXP owners have had- touch wood- I hope I don't experience any of them. I love my Expedition
    I should have been more clear on that. Ford didn't care if I did my own oil/filter changes and would honor the warranty if:
    1) I kept the log.
    2) I stayed with the recommended 5K intervals.
    3) I used products equivalent to Ford's or better.

There have been several articles over the years that indicate longer intervals are possible when using synthetic. Due to a 2K trip recently, I waited until 6K before I changed the oil & filter. I noticed the oil was pretty dirty. Not that it still wasn't providing superior lubricating qualities, but man, it was REALLY yucky.

Anyway, we don't put many miles on our Expy (like 12K a year) and while you could probably extend your intervals if you switch to synthetic, don't forget that time and short trips also play a big part in the breakdown of any oil's lubricating abilities.
    I was hoping to hear that Ford had studied it and came to some awe inspiring conclusion about the benefits. Seems like they'll be no interval extension benefit to doing synthetic, too bad. I have been driving my Exp'd for the last 2 years and am likely to hand it over to my wife soon. I put on a lot more miles than she, but still no more than 15k in a year, mostly suburban commute miles. We're likely to put on a few more long-trip highway miles in the near future. It would be nice not to have to keep real good track of it and do the changes on a birthday or something like that. Too bad!
  • I am looking at a '97 XLT 4X4. Will you kind folks please comment on your satisfaction with your '97s? Thank you!
  • nicolu,

I recall that a while back, in this very area, the 2nd row console question was raised. One person stated that they ordered a console for the Navigator, and that, aside from having to drill the mounting holes, it was a perfect fit and color match for their Expy.

Scott
  • bornzobornzo Posts: 19
    Does anyone know where I can get a good brush guard and tail light guards for my 2001 XLT 4x4?

I am looking for suggestions. Please help me!
  • Which state do you live in? I had mine done through a place called sportsrack. They are a vehicle outfitter company. Did a killer job. I also got great pricing. I found places on the internet that had great prices and they matched everything or beat it. I saved over $300 on my brushguard w/install. (with 6 1/2 inch PIAA's on it) if you want me to email you a pic let me know or send me your email.
  • Have a 2001 XLT 5.4L 4X4 with about everything except leather seats and air suspension. I have owned Toyota's, Chevy's Dodge's and whatever can be owned. I am 62 years young and don't like small cars I can't get in an out of. This is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever taken a trip in. Plenty of power, high up so you can see something. Only get 13.5mpg around town and 16mpg on the road, but I have to give up something for the comfort. The all wheel drive is sensational especially in snow. If anyone who gets an expedition and doesn't care for it, drive it a while it will grow on you.
    Have a great day.
    Frankk.
    Hey! shand32783 I would appreciate a pic of your brush guard. My email is bornzo@msn.com. I live in Illinois. If you know any shops here in Illinois let me know or if you have info for any online place please let me know.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    Look through performanceproducts.com for brush guards - they've got lots of them. Most brush guards are very easy to do yourself. You could also search some of the more popular brands - Grizzly, Manik, Go Rhino, etc...
  • frankno1frankno1 Posts: 68
    I read on the Ford Website that the towing capacity of the 2003 Expedition will be 8900lbs.
    thats pretty good for a SUV. I'm sure that will be with 5.4L and 4X2. But still thats pretty impressive.

Frankk
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    That is pretty much what the towing capacity already is. That is with the 5.4 and 2wd as you suggested, as well as 3.73 rears and 16" wheels. There had been some suggestions that the V10 or diesel from the Excursion would make an appearnace as well.
    Hey alwaysfords!!
    Thanks for the info, I will be doing some research and hopefully find a nice brushguard.