Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• slotoyslotoy Posts: 14
    Thanks for the prompt reply. He has it working now.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Didn't come with the optional owner's manual, eh? :)
  • fx4fx4 Posts: 72
    My 2003 FX4 Expedition had the same ContiTrac TR on the ground and non-matching ContiTrac SUV as spare. Many other new Expedition inventory has had same 4 TR, 1 SUV setup. I thought when the manufacturer says "conventional spare" the purchaser assumes a tire that matches? The OD spec on the TR is 31.8", while the OD for the SUV is 31.6" The SUV would be the same height somewhere along the way. Ha!
  • duceduce Posts: 3
    Anyone know when the 05's will hit
    the floor?
    somebody traded one out on you, probably long before you selected the car. Who knows why...but I've never seen a new vehicle with a full size spare not have matching tires, even if the wheel was plain. Unless Ford is trying to save a half-buck on one tire per car suddenly, this makes no sense. I'd check on the lot and see what four or five other Expeditions have underneath, myself. In fact, I may do that.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 293
    I think build one is due for early August
  • tourguidetourguide Posts: 188
    Yes, job 1 for the 05 Expedition is August 2, but the guys at Michigan Truck Plant would tell you that they've been building the 05 model year for a couple of months now.
    Anyone know if the 05's have any significant
    differences or improvements over the 04's?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy an 04
    now or wait for the 05's. The current incentives
    are good now but I assume they'll still be
    around for the 05's.....good assumption or
    not?
  • nckracernckracer Posts: 7
    The new 3 valve 301 HP 5.4L engine is the only engine available on all '05 models. Raised roof rails replace the luggage rack. A new safety and security package. A new technical convenience package. A heavy duty trailer tow package. A redesigned instrument cluster display. Second generation Advance Trac w/ roll stability control. Pueblo gold clearcoat metallic replaces arizona beige for body cladding on Eddie Bauer. A new color for XLT and Eddie Bauer called charcoal beige clearcoat metallic.

There is a new Limited version which is equipped like an Eddie Bauer plus 17" chrometec wheels. Monotone body color cladding, including front & rear fascias, wheel lip moldings and grille. Chrome tipped exhaust. Black-out headlamps. Power folding mirrors. Chrome roof rails. Body colored running boards. There is a new color called Cashmere tri-coat clearcoat metallic. (Premium option$$)

Interior: 1st row low back bucket seats in monochromatic, leather trim, 8 way power adjust for driver/passenger, power lumbar and recline, adjustable headrest, and 3 setting heated and cooled control, 2 position driver side memory.
    Steering wheel has real wood and leather wrapped tilt w/ duplicate audio and climate controls. Instrument panel grab handles w/ simulated wood.

I'm sure I missed a few things, but this is all I can remember.

I've had an '05 EB ordered since May 25th. I just recieved a VIN and a scheduled build date for the week of August 2nd. Dealer said I should take delivery by the end of August.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    A touchscreen, voice activated DVD navigation system becomes an option for '05, replacing the cd based version now available.
    Thanks for the response. I think I'll wait for
    the 05's!
  • nckracernckracer Posts: 7
    From what you've seen, is the new DVD navigation system the same one that's used in the Lincoln Aviator. I know the Aviators have a touch screen that flips down with a 6 disk in-dash CD changer behind it.

If it is the same as the Aviator, then it's ten times the system the current Expedition uses. The screen lacks a little color definition but the quality of mapping is wonderful. I live in a small town of about 4500 people, and my Dads Aviator's navigation mapped out 15 different eating establishments in this small town alone. I was really impressed with the features of this system, and looking forward to getting mine in August!
    There is no activity on the P & S Expy board, so I assume the Expy has no problems!!!

However, a friend of mine just acquired a 99 with the keypad on the door. He doesn't have the master code though to use or reset it. Is there a label somewhere on the truck with the code hidden on it? I've heard they're under the dash? No trunk to look in. Anybody know?
  • davantdavant Posts: 294
    Try the owners manual, that's where it is for our '03. I imagine 90 percent of folks don't realize that you should change the default keypad code or anyone who knows it (not unique to each vehicle) could enter like you never locked up. If you don't have the manual try the dealer or order one, might even be available online but probably not free. Good luck.
    Unfortunately, this used truck doesn't have the owner's manual with it. But thanks anyway. And yes, it should be changed to a unique number.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 293
    The keycode is under the dash on a sticker, but I can't remember where! My '99 is a year gone so I can't go out to the parking lot to look for you. A dealer should be able to look it up by VIN for you.
    You were exactly right on the location of the sticker, and it worked great! Very helpful.
  • sgtrockbsgtrockb Posts: 8
    I just bought an 04 Eddie Bauer with the heated/cooled seats. I took a 300 mile trip and found that the seat was very uncomfortable. Right where the forward seam is on the seat bottom feels like a heavy duty wire is stretched across it. A couple hours of sitting on this wire hurts, no matter how you shift your weight. Anyone else run into this?
  • jeff88jeff88 Posts: 94
    We took ours on a 3k miles trip earlier this summer w/o any notice of the wire you are feeling in yours. Neither my wife or I have felt it and we drive in much different seat positioning. (Also very happy with the seat/mirror memory function.) We're in Houston and love the air-conditioned feature. You might have a defective seat. Meanwhile, next time I'm in the expy I'll check on the front seam and see if it's the way you describe in our truck, also an '04.

Thanks for the previous post listing out the new features for the expy -- the one I'm envious of is the roof rack rails. I think it's a much better design than the elevated cross bars. The rails are sturdier and invite a better after market attachability (wd?) than the current model. Luckily I still have the thule set up from our '95 explorer eb, the towers slide right into the the '04 rack mounts that run the length of the truck. Now all I need is longer cross bars. we sometimes have both a cargo box and canoe on the top with bikes on the trailer hitch mounted rack. the clampetts...

As far as the engine upgrade goes, am not sure that the 3v will actually return much better performance or mileage than the 2v. On paper it sounds better but I would have preferred another gear between 1st and 3rd for better "around town" or hill driving. The current top end is tracking pretty nicely at high speeds with low rpm's. Some time ago the explorer went the route of adding another lower gear and I think that helped.

Also on the wish list is a better, less boomy 3rd row speaker. Am not at all fond the sound in the current speaker. Would love to find a midrange replacement for it. Our old eb with the jbl was just as boomy. When you tailgate, all you get is bass.
  • fx4fx4 Posts: 72
    2004, Expedition NBX. Yep, that is what the window sticker says if you take the time to read it carefully. Local tire store manager says the clad part should last at least a tire change or two before the clad part starts to dent, cause weights to fly off, look bad, etc. Worse than just painted black wheels for off-road use. What happened to the chrome wheels I thought I was getting--like my 2003 FX4 had? The clad chrome attached plate reminds me of the cheapest chrome wheel covers you could ever find at Western Auto.

Hey Ford, I gave up standard XLT cast aluminum wheels and tire pressure monitoring to get the above clad chrome wheels at extra cost. I feel rather foolish when I discover some of Ford's latest cost cutting at increased MSRP.

..these wheels, the mismatching ContiTrac SUV spare, suspect OEM ContiTrac TR tires on the ground..it's depressing to see such junk on what is otherwise a fairly high quality vehicle in the NBX model..Will someone please refund my money?
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    It's been awhile since I have chimed in here, but just got back from a trip up north to Mackinac Island with the family (we took the Expy). The last 1000 miles have been slightly troublesome depending on how you look at it. I now have 106,000 miles on it and it still runs and drives great. However as age sets in, so do problems with these complicated vehicles.

Over the past month I have had to bring it in for a check engine light, in which my local garage found two vacuum leaks. No big deal, and a relief that is wasn't a lot more. Then the 4X4 light stated to flash. Took to dealer and was told I need both hall effect sensors replaced. Ok, it's gunna cost $300.00 to fix, but still over the life of the truck I still haven't spent much on repairs. Then finally of all things to break, my spare tire crank mechanism broke. I had to put my spare tire on to fix a flat, and when I went to crank the flat back up underneath the truck, the wire (which looks like a steel high tension cable) unraveled and tangled in the the box which it spools into. So another $80 bucks there. Anyway, hopefully the storm has passed, the truck has been and still is a joy to own. Though I am getting really concerned about the rust on the bottom of the doors. It has gotten pretty bad (I am aware that this is a common problem) however it won't show on the exterior becuase it has a small piece of trim there. I am more worried about the rust effecting its resale value, and I am not sure what to do if anything at all. Anyway, again, still very pleased and highly recommended.

Take care all:-)
  • Just picked up the 2004 Expedition - Eddie Bauer... Has most extras... Thanks for any info you might have...

1) The Premium stereo has buttons for Satellite radio control... the manual says to see the dealer for satellite option... Is what they have the same as what I could get from Circuit City/Best Buy, etc ? Or is it something specifically for the Expedition ? Is it under-dash, on-dash ?

2) I didn't even realize until recently that the stereo has no cassette player... While I don't usually listen to cassettes, I used the cassette in my old Explorer to listen to my MP3 player... Is there any hidden audio input (RCA or headphone-type jack) I could use to connect the MP3 player ? There is an "aux" button on the front of the stereo... I know I could use an FM modulator, but do not like the thought of the loss in sound quality... I have the DVD player in the ceiling - can I use the video/audio input from that ?

Thanks !

Andy W.
    " I would have preferred another gear between 1st and 3rd for better "around town" or hill driving." Doesn't the 05 get the new 6 speed automatic as well as the 3V engine?

"Also on the wish list is a better, less boomy 3rd row speaker. Am not at all fond the sound in the current speaker. Would love to find a midrange replacement for it. Our old eb with the jbl was just as boomy. When you tailgate, all you get is bass." Funny - one of the things that keeps me in Ford SUVs, is that great sub-woofer in the 3rd bay....I just love it!!! YMMV.
  • 69mach169mach1 Posts: 60
    Have a 98 Expedition with 109,000 miles omn it. I've been told that to change sparks plugs will be around $800 dollars. Is this true?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,208
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide says it should cost around $85 (for my zip code anyway). $350 for the entire 120,000 mile service. What did it cost when you changed the plugs at 60,000 miles? Or maybe you didn't own it then?

Anyone do a 60k or 120k service lately for a '98 Exp?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jeff88jeff88 Posts: 94
    The bass sound from the front seats is fine, even darn good. It's just in the back that it is overwhelming. The middle starts getting a little boomy, the 3rd row is tough on these old ear drums. I know, I know, so don't sit back there!

Think the '05 expy keeps the 4 speed auto. have not heard anything about a 5 speed or even 6. The explorer added a gear between 1st and 3rd back in '98 (I think) and with the new engine, it helped a lot in terms of hilly terrain. The top end stayed the same, which was fine. Personally, a 5 speed with a console mounted, semi-auto shifter would be ideal.
  • 69mach169mach1 Posts: 60
    Purchased vehicle from a friend, who was the second owner. My friend was a little a afraid of the vehicle because he was told that it would cost $800.00 just to change the plugs on the car. I didn't buy that story so I offered him a fair price and he took it. Vehicle runs great, but I was just wondering how much it would actually cost to change the plugs and if I could do it myself. I've heard that it uses Iridium plugs, so what else is new since 1994 or 95?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,208
    Well, I suppose it could cost $800, especially if they've never been changed and they've seized, but I think it's unlikely that you'd have to pay that from a reputable mechanic.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tourguidetourguide Posts: 188
    While it IS true that changing the spark plugs on these Triton motors is a PITA, $800 is without question more than double what you should have to pay. I would guess this mechanic just didn't want to deal with it.

With proper direction someone who is handy can do it, but I have heard most novice DIYers can end up blowing half to one full day on the job. The reason for this is that there seems to be lots of stuff that has to be removed before you can get to the plugs themselves. I think a dealership will want a little more than $300 to do the job, but you should be able to find a mom and pop fix it shop to do it for less (probably much less).
    Two issues make it difficult - one, the engine sits back under the cowl a long ways, which contributes to the superior balance and handling of the truck over say, a Tahoe (although the new GM trucks have copied the same design now). So the back 4 plugs are hard to reach. Secondly, this truck has state of the art "coil on plug" design, meaning that the plugs are sitting on the top of the engine at the edges of the intake manifold, with an individual coil on top of each plug. This eliminates the need for spark plug wires, with all of the downside of same. No power loss, electrical noise or spart jumping, and no deterioration of performance as the wires age. No static to the AM radio either. BUT, you gotta take off the coil pack from each plug before you even get to the plug. Special tools may be needed. I wouldn't change the plugs until the engine seems to need it - they are supposed to go 100,000 miles at least anyway. No way I'd pay anybody $800 to do it either. If it's running fine, just drive it.