Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• jplymanjplyman Posts: 90
    You were right - I calculated the MPG on our recent trip to Florida and it was off about 1 MPG - That said I don't think many of us buy these for there stellar MPG...

Why would the computer compute a different MPG?
  • wkohlerwkohler Posts: 74
    Not sure why; could be set up that way to make you happy. Could be that the program isn't the most accurate; any number of reasons come to mind. A friend of mine has a 04 model cadillac that has this feature and his trip computer is dead on the money. I didn't say too much at first, but I did take an extended trip in the vehicle and it was right on. And...........you're right; if I was really worried about gas mileage I'd by a Prius.
  • expoman2expoman2 Posts: 1
    how do i drop the front of my 2000 xlt expedition and how far can i go, torsion bar in front
  • snowmannsnowmann Posts: 3
    my sub-woofer has quit working. the bass is turned all the way up but i don't have much bass in the other four speakers. i put a volt meter on the connection coming in to the amp. near the back seat. it has juice. but the sub-woofer is not working. does this mean that the amp has gone out?
  • mbjbmbjb Posts: 39
    Hey Snowmann,

It sounds like your amp is fried. Did you test to see if power is leaving the amp? I would bet that is your problem.
  • I just bought a 2000 EB Expedition. I know nothing about the various models of Expeditions, but this one has a reverse sensing system and a load level suspension. When you start it, just after putting into gear, an air compressor motor sounds for 10 to 20 seconds. Occasionally when driving it will come on too. Seems to work well; I've noticed it generally raises the vehicle maybe 1 to 3 inches. Any ideas if this suspension system is prone to failures and costly repairs? I got a very good price on this vehicle, perfect condition interior & exterior. Another question: how is gas mileage (km) compared to the F150? I have the 5.4L Triton V8. Thanks.
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    Start putting money aside for when it breaks; it's pricey. I purposely sought a Expy w/out air suspension, you really don't need it on that vehicle, I tow an 18' boat w/mine and the suspension doesn't sag at all, even with a load of people (I have 3rd seat as well). Otherwise, our 2000 XLT has been very reliable, has 41K, bought it w/24K, no real problems other than a finicky rear wiper, and the current speed control switch recall (which you should do asap, see previous posts on this thread). We get 15 mpg hwy w/the 4.6 (have the K&N air filter), 12/13 around town. Best of luck w/yours- from what I read about some of the new ones the old design is built better.
  • Fitguy, thanks for the reply. Yes, they already did the speed control recall. Yes, I'll put money aside, because I think I'll be replacing breaks sooner than average on this heavy truck. Generally, I don't like gadgetry--they are usually opportunities for things to go wrong--I would never have chosen air suspension, but buying this used, I just took it "as is" and it came with it. Regards.
  • edcpedcp Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2004 E/B EXPY. It is Aspen green and the lower parts are a Tan-ish color.

I need to Know the name of the color as it is not on the door pillar card.

All I find is P5=Aspen Green.
    Is It Pueblo Gold , Gold Ash Met.,Arizona Beige?

I need a little for touch up.
    And dose the truck come with anything else that say E/B then the name plate on back?

Ed
  • jerryrunjerryrun Posts: 1
    I have seamed to have blown the fuse that monitors the center console rear aux cigerette type power hole. Where is that fuse... I have checked all fuses under the dash.

It is a 1998 eddie bauer. Please help... my daughter wants her portable dvd player working again.

Jerry
  • tourguidetourguide Posts: 188
    It is Arizona Beige. I remember it from my invoice.
    Thanks,

I will check it out.

ED
  • snowmannsnowmann Posts: 3
    i have power coming into the amp. but none coming out to the subwoofer. But, does the amp. serve the other speakers as well
    Anyone know what the box under the Rear view mirror
    is for?
    Looks like there is some kind of switch on it!

Ed
  • fx4fx4 Posts: 72
    I have a 2004 Expedition NBX (4wd with 260 hp 5.4L). This engine does well in my NBX, but is not nearly as strong as the 5.4l 3V when comparing the engines wide open, pushed to the limit. I drove a 2005 E/B 4wd 5.4L 3v for several days and found that it would reach 83mph up a well known steep grade to a certain mile marker versus 80 to 81 mph for my above 2004 NBX.

When pushed all out, the 5.4L 3V clearly out shines the older 5.4L 2V when hp matters. However not much difference in towing torque in real world.

Same goes for my experiences with two or three Enterprise 2004 F-150s with 5.4L 3V. More power
    when pushed to the limit. Gas mileage slightly lower than expected and hovered around 16-17 mpg for mostly easy suburban driving for all the 2004 F150 5.4L 3V rental units whether 2wd or 4wd.
  • I to have just been robbed to get an alignment done on my 2002 Expedition. I was charged $380.00. The thing that really gets me is that they say this is covered by the normal 36 month 36k mile warranty. Well my millage at the time I took it in was 36,900. The thing that really got me was when I called the dealer to ask how much the cost of the alignment would be I was told $60. Nothing was said that there could be a need for parts to be installed to get the thing into specs. At this point I was being charged the $60.00 for the alignment whether or not I approved the other charges. I just spent $900. on new tires so I didn't have a choice. I think as many people as possible need to complain about this to Ford. I have already written my letter.
    Before going off on FoMoCo, you need to realize: dealers quote a price for a basic job (FE align or brakes, for example) but until the vehicle is brought in and looked at, no one can know what other parts may be worn and need to be replaced. Rotors warp, ball joints wear out, etc. You should always require a shop (dealer or otherwise) to call you if additional work or parts are needed, with the price. If it is too much or seems out of line, you have the right to have your car put back together, be charged for inspection time, and go elsewhere.
    I'm not a dealer or service guy; this is just standard procedure and everyone should be aware of it.
  • I think what he is talking about is the fact that the expy doesn't have adjustability in one of the required planes (can't remember if it is caster, camber or toe-in), but there is definately one that can't be adjusted without ordering a kit from the factory. It is done that way on Explorers too. If you run into the alignment problem under warranty many dealers will put the kits on. If it happens out of warranty you are on your own. The fact that the dealer didn't handle it at 36.9 is a differnet issue. Either the person is not a repeat customer and has no customer loyalty "brownie points" or they could have rubbed someone the wrong way which led them to not be so helpful. I guess the third option is that the dealership is in fact not that helpful. I am freinds with a LM dealer principle and from discussions with him, dealers have lots of lattitude to help in situations like this but it is at their discretion. A lot of their interaction they base on the loyalty of the customer too. If you are bringing it to them for service after buying it in the next town, they aren't going to bend over backwards to help you out. I guess we need more info to really try to understand it. I do agree that the dealer should have called before taking the liberty of doing the work.
  • Sometimes I will hear a very low rumbling noise in my Ford 01 Expedition before I even start the vehicle. I will get in it, be doing something before taking off, and I will hear a low rumbling noise. What is this? Thanks.
  • john57john57 Posts: 1
    1999 front driver's window does not go up or down. A clicking from the relay is heard and felt. Switched identical relays from fuse box and still no go. Checked for continuity by operating the switches and the continuity was good. Are there problems with these window motors? If so, best place to get a replacement?

Thanks
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    Rest assured, that is your air suspension pump-that is unless you don't have the air suspension?
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    Does any one knows if the cross bars on the luggage rack for Expedition 2005 are the same as the cross bars found in 2002,2003 and 2004?..... hard to believe but I just purchased an EB 2005 Expi and it has just about everything BUT the cross bars..when I inquired about them i was told that the cross bars are a separate item to be purchased for about $180.00 from dealer. I have someone in EBAY selling a pair ($60,00) of these cross bars and I could save some money..but they came from an EXPI 2002...thanks for the help
  • amorejonamorejon Posts: 1
    Hello, I am in the process of putting the K & N filter kit in my 5.4 Expedition and would like to know if you also had to change any of the exhaust system to accomodate the increase of air intake. I am doing this to improve my towing HP and gas milage.

I appreciate you info.

A.Morejon
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,322
    Check out K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power? too.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• wkohlerwkohler Posts: 74
    It sounds like you've already bought the kit. :( If you do install this, please note that if your vehicle is still under warranty, most dealerships will deny any warranty work associated with changing the intake and MAF sensor issues REGARDLESS OF WHAT K&N TELLS YOU. With that said, be careful not to apply too much oil when servicing your filter so as not to cause problems with your MAF sensor. I did have a K&N (just the filter) on my 03 Expedition about a year after purchasing the vehicle new. I noticed NO improvment in performance or mileage with the K&N. The only difference I noticed was a little more intake noise during acceleration.
  • I had the FIPK kit on my '99 Expedition with the 5.4 and also on a '96 Explorer with the 5.0 and noticed no change in anything except intake noise. I would save my money given the option again. I had to learn that lesson twice but I'm pretty sure I understand it now. Never had any MAF issues but was careful about oiling. All told I probably had around 60k miles using the K&Ns.
    Have had the filter only on my 4.6 for about 8 months; slight improvement in towing performance and about 1.5 mpg increase. No MAF issues so far. I've never heard of exaust mods needed to accomodate increased airflow, but I'm no expert.
  • belle6belle6 Posts: 1
    I bought my 97' Ford Expedition 8 months ago, and nothing but problems.
    I drive it off the lot and the battery died.

2 weeks later, they had to replace the fuel pump after the vehicle left me stranded in a bad area., it was still under warranty. So they fixed it.

4 months later, the transmission failed and left me stranded on the road again. That cost me $2500.

3 months after that, in fact, today, the fuel pump went out again, and there are also problems with the fuel filter plug and the ignition coils.

Oh yeah, and the rear winshield wipers do not work! Haha-Very funny Ford

I am so done with Fords, this is my first American car and I regret it. I have always bought Japanese in the past, and had no problems. I will buy Japanese or German after this thing dies on me, which after reading about all the head gasket problems with these things, I am sure won't be long! So long Ford!
  • gheimurgheimur Posts: 88
    I have a 2004 EB and it came with the cross bars. I would go to the dealer
    or other dealers and see if they are installed on the 2005's and than go do
    what you have to do with the dealer
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Someone dumped an 8-year old problem used vehicle on you.