Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• I have a 2000 Expedition 4x4 with 124,000 miles. It started making a loud whine during accleration, but stops when not accelerating, almost sounds metallic. I had it to the dealer who, although heard the noise, could not find a cause. It is becoming quite disturbing, especially after reading about transmission problems in expeditions. Anyone had similar problem? Thanks.
  • Are you sure it is up front? The rear LS diffs whine also when they go bad, and sometimes the sound travels and almost seems to be from the front
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    It's just the supercharger... ha...
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    So I was playing around with the "build your own" websites for Ford and GMC. It looks like the Expedition EL is going to be about $2,000 less than a comparably equipped Yukon XL. (Suburban seems to be a few hundred less than GMC.) The major differences I notice are that the Ford has a little lower gas mileage, but in its favor are the fold flat third row and the 6-speed. The third row's not too big a deal for me. Only has to be roomy enough for children, and given that I have three and will use it every day, I won't be removing it or folding it very often. Although I would like them to keep their feet off the backs of the middle row, and I have seen photos of actual adults in the third row of the new Expedition and it's pretty impressive.

Style is a toss up. The new GM interiors are nice, I actually like the fake wood trim. The Ford has some nice touches too. I especially like the Ford's A/C vents, and the center-mounted, as opposed to column-mounted, shifter. And there is one detail photo of the Ford's gauge cluster that looks exquisite. I sat in a new Tahoe a few months ago just for fun, and found the driver's seat to be narrow and my right leg bumped up against the center console. Haven't been inside a new Expedition yet. If that seat is just a bit wider, or the console is mounted lower, that could be a deal-maker for me. I'm not fat, mind you, just long-legged. I've been inside the Sequoia and Tundra, and they don't have especially wide seats, but the console is very low to the ground, and the dash is not intrusive, so there is a feeling of spaciousness and your right knee doesn't hit anything. Back to the topic at hand, I also really like the two-tone paint on the Eddie Bauer Fords.

Only GM has the remote start, which I'd like with the auto climate control. But only ford has the ventilated seats. I wonder how effective those really are, but what a cool idea. And GM has OnStar, of course, which I fortunately have not had to use yet, but really really like the idea.

I currently have a 2005 Yukon XL. At the time I bought it, there was no other option as far as I was concerned, Expedition just didn't have enough room behind the third row. (There was the Excursion, but that was much more expensive). Now I can't wait until it's time to trade in our 2005 and try out both of the new ones!

Any other key points I've missed? What swayed the rest of you one way or another?
  • ...But only ford has the ventilated seats. I wonder how effective those really are, but what a cool idea...

I test drove several Expeditions with the heated and cooled seats. The cooled seats were pretty nice. It isn't like sitting on an ice cube, but after the car has been running for 5 - 10 minutes (depending on external temp), you do feel a nice "coolness" on your back and bottom. It's welcome relief if you live in a hot climate. Note that it won't immediately cool your bottom on a 90 degree+ day when the car has been sitting in the sun. But give it a few minutes, and it will make you comfy.

Also note that the cooled seats have their own air filters that require periodic changing. No idea what those cost, but I believe you can get them through most auto parts stores and, of course, at Ford.
  • you can add remote start to any fuel injected automatic. Ford has a system and there are tons of aftermarket vrsions.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,642
    "According to a recent study by the U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), ventilated automotive seats not only can improve passenger comfort but also a vehicle's fuel economy. That's because ventilated seats keep drivers and passengers cooler, so they need less air conditioning to be comfortable."

Here's some more info about those cooled seats in the Expy:

Keep Your Cool....And Perhaps Save Some Gas

And here's Part 2, an aftermarket solution.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• to the person whose lookin at the expedition/ yukon xl models...

On new stands, motor trend released a magazine comparin the el and the suburban and that might help. i dont wanna give the winner away but the winner won because of stringer acceleration, usuable cargo and people space and overalll capability
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    My dad is looking at an 03 expedition thats priced at $19k It has dvd entertainment, ac/heated seats, power fold 3rd row, and tow package. It comes with a 1 year bonus warranty that includes 3 free detailing, and 3 free oil changes. Its the big 5.4l v8 (not the 4.7l) and with 43k miles. Is this a good deal? Our 4runner (1996) is worth 4.5k and they say 3.5k so its kind of irritating. We make take it to carmax.

He's at the dealership not and i'll report back soon!

-Cj :)
  • Is it true that Ford is doing a lease termination program that waives up to 6 months? If it is I will speed up to manhattan ford and finally get rid of my 04 JGC, and sign a new lease on a 07 navigator or expedition EL. I heard that on the radio today. I believe it was 710 wor in new york.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    I'm sure you can go to any Ford dealership -- not just the one you mentioned (nice free plug by the way -- I hope that dealer deserves it) and they'll waive" your remaining lease payments.

It's all marketing double-speak.

What they'll do is apply any rebates, incentives available on the Expedition (I think there are some great deals out there for the 06's now) towards your new deal.

You'll end up paying more than if you had not come in owing money on your other car, but you'll be taken out of your old lease and you'll have a brand new ride.

The important thing is you get a deal you feel comfortable with and a car you really like.

I'm a big fan of the Expedition -- a roomy and useful ride for families with lots of "Stuff"

Good luck!!!
    We just got an 03 Expy eddie bauer. Our problem is that it only came with one key and no alarm. In fact we don't even have the door key pad code.

WE LOVE IT!!

Does anyone know how to get the key pad code?? Does the dealership charge for this information?

-Cj :confuse:
  • By no alarm you mean no key fobs? The EB comes with the alarm and remote entry. Fobs can be found on Ebay for around $20 a pair. The dealer will have to program them since you don't have one to start with. If you did have it you could do it yourself. The key is what will set you back because it has a chip in it, they run around $100 each. The key pad code is on the underside of the dash - not sure which side, but if memory serves me it is under the glove box. you can also program yuor own code in once you have the factory one.
    We went to ford and the key fob is $41.50 for the expedition. They're going to install it for us on monday. Thanks for the help :).

This truck has alot of inexpensive minor problems that we're willing to pay for. Things like

2 bad tires (dealer is replacing all 5 free)

stock dvd laser doesn't read anything (they installed a temporary player until a new one comes in stock free)

Wheel clicking (previous owner left the brake pin out free)

The smaller radiator cracked and freon blew into the cabin with ac causing the engine to overheat. (By-passed the small radiator until tuesday and will replace entire small radiator free.)

We love this dealer! He will give us 3 free oil changes and 3 free detailing! So far the only thing we paid for was 3 wipers and a steering wheel cover.

-Cj :)
  • bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    Sounds like the dealer is bending over backwards to make you happy! I just bought a 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition. I am in a similar situation as you in that I only have one key and will get key #2 made this week.

I believe the previous poster was a little off with the note about having to have keyfobs programmed at the dealer. According to the Owner's Guide, you can program several key fobs yourself (Note: I did this last week with a new keyfob I bought on e-bay for $10). However, the keys themselves will need to be programmed at the dealer if you only have 1. Once you have two, you can program extras yourself if you buy the blanks (you can get them on e-bay for $10 + shipping) and get them cut by any key shop.

Also, the keypad code is under the dash on the passenger's side. There's a small plastic cover that will need to be removed. Then you'll see the black cover for the fuse panel. Above that and to the left behind another piece of plastic that can't be moved, you should see the 5-digit code printed on a white sticker in big bold numbers. It's really hard to see, and you'll probably need a flashlight.

Once you have that code, you can program in your own personal code following the directions from the owner's guide. I did that also a couple of weeks ago, and it was very easy.

As for whether or not your price was good, as long as you feel good about the deal, that's all that matters. And it really sounds like the dealer wants to keep you happy.
    I've seen 2003 EB Expeditions going for anywhere from 17,500 to 20,000 on e-bay and at local dealers.

We paid $19,500 for ours, but my dad knows the dealer who sold it to us and buys a car a year from him, so he gave it to me for a little above what he gave the previous owner in trade. He also tossed in a set of new tires. However, as I said before, I am having to have a new key made, needed to purchase a new key fob, and I also had to have new TPMS (tire pressure sensors) installed. So I've got an extra $350 in it above what I paid. Still, I am very happy with this truck. It has all the room we need.

I think you'll find that you'll be very happy with the space. Search for the forum for advice from other drivers for how to maximize MPG, and that will make you even happier!

Enjoy the new car!
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: Ford Expedition. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the Ford Expedition discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the Ford Expedition board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for Ford Expedition owners!

Be sure to visit Ford Expedition: Meet the Members! to stay in touch.

tidester, host
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • ....?

Why'd you close it?

-Cj
  • So about the air filters in the expedition's Ac seats... Our dealers is going to re upholster the really worn front seats. Should we change the"air filter" in the seats also?

Oh and I found the code for the keypad without taking off the thing in the footwell. What all does the keypad do?

after putting it in then pressing 3 all doors unlock. And after putting it in then pressing 5 the rear glass opens. Is that all?

Our TPMS was disabled by the dealership. They will fix it when we take it back. ON the way back, It will need the power points in the passengers footwell and the back of the center console(rear ac knobs).
    -Cj
    Why'd you close it?

Long story but we're basically trying to restructure the Forums to make it easier for people to find what they need. Feel free to plow through the Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion for details.

tidester, host
  • That imo was complicated... Good luck with all that!

-Cj
  • nottynotty Posts: 1
    I have an 03 expy with the 4.6 and 4x2 was wondering how much it could tow safely and what I need to do to make it road ready for such. Also when i go in reverse it makes this pop noise, does anybody know what that is? Any help would be great please e-mail me at nottyb24@yahoo.com asap. I am planning a trip in about 2 weeks and I need to tow my 05 sentra. Thanks
  • need to know relay location for air suspension system. have fire going to control moduel,leveling sensor and on/off switch but on fire going to pump,nor wire harness connected to pump.please help
  • gheimurgheimur Posts: 88
    I think the 04 Expy is a great vehicle, that outloads the Toyota Landcruiser,Lexus, or Honda SUV. I went to Costco and was able to fit a Full size Mattress and Boxsapring in the back with the seats down and the hatch fully closed .
  • We have a 98 and an 03 Expedition. Yes, we have more money than sense regarding gas guzzling, but I needed to add that we have had NO major problems with either vehicle, in fact, we are thinking of trading in our Jeep on another Expy. We travel 2000+ miles in 3 days twice a year, driving the 03 Expy and love the height, size, safe feeling driving across the United States with so much reliability! :)
  • We had a '99 (95k miles)and now have an '03 (85k) both bought new. We are are buying an '04 to replace my wife's car. We have had a couple of issues - right side cylinder heads on both the '99 and '03, fixed under warranty in one case, for $500 in the second case (the $500 included an extended power train warranty 7yr/100k). The '03 is on it's third set of LSD clutches. I'd say they are problem free with those exceptions. Basically 180k miles for $500 out of pocket over normal service. I'm very happy with the Expy's, and can't wait to add the new one.
  • ohgtoohgto Posts: 1
    I am on my 5th Expedition and never had any big issues at all. Drove all for about 120,000 km or 72,000 mi.

I think I would check to see if this truck had ever been in an accident at some time and repaired and sold off.
  • gheimurgheimur Posts: 88
    :lemon: My 2004 Ford Expedition has been reliable with 38,400 miles. A few minor issues that I had fixed when it was new under the warranty. Today I had it aligned and the tires rotated . The original continentals are still on with proba bly 35% of usable tread left. The place where I went to told me that I should replace the tires, because there are cracks on the outside edge of the thread. He told me its dry rot and the tires are dangerous to drive on.I noticed the cracks when the car had about 20k miles, so I decided not to do anything for the time being. Any opinions? I get wheel alignments and tire rotations every 5-6k miles as I have a lifetime wheel alignment agreement.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I would doubt dry rot at 3 years old - if you have air leaking through the sidewalls, maybe you do. Otherwise I don't think so....