Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• slandyslandy Posts: 46
    How in the world can you say the exp is better than the Seqouia? It is less efficient, less dependable, resale is worse, not as strong off the road-there is a reason for the solid rear axle. Drive both vehicles for 5 years and see which one is holding up better, squeaks, rattles, loose suspension etc....
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    Done. If that means you will count in the last generation of Expeditions. My 1999 Expedition EB is at 96,000 miles and has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have not driven a Sequoia before, but I think your assuming that Expeditions wont hold up as well as Sequoia's and that is why you want people to drive both. Repairs to date have been:

New alternator due to shorted bat. (@~65,000K)
    New brakes (@~90,000K)

I live on a bad, dirt, Michigan road, so it gets it fair share of abuse, and it remains to be extremely quiet.

I have seen the reliability ratings in CR for the new Expy, but they, like many other manufacturers new vehicles, have first year problems. I will be anxious to see if they do any better in CR's up coming Annual Auto Issue.
  • Expedition has been a great SUV so far:
    75K miles. So far only had front end work done @ ~$350.00. Had some minor things done during the warranty period. The worst seems to be the breaks that need to be replaced every 40,000 miles. Maybe the weight of the vehicle. Other than that it's been a solid ride. In Fact I've been tempted to "down size" to 2004 Mercury Mountaineer or Explorer but my kids would not be happy! Lots of room. Ride quality the same as when the day I bought it (Very Good).
  • Hello,

I recently created a Web site dedicated to the 2003 Ford Expedition. There is no commercial slant, just took some time to share various reviews, photos, etc. that I have compiled and thought others may be interested in.

http://www.ben.org/cars/expedition

Ben
  • Ben,

WOW! GREAT job on that site!! I'm going to have fun looking through all that you have there. I can see LOTS of time invested and I know that others will appreciate your efforts too.

Are you taking contributions too? I'm going to be ordering either a late build 04 or an early 05 and I'd add my thoughts too if you're taking submissions. I'm holding out for this particular time frame because the 3 valve 5.4 is supposed to be coming for some of the late build 04s and will be offered in the 05s for sure (if the guys at the local dealership are to be believed).

Thanks!

-TG
  • The link below will take you to a pic of a 2004 EB Premium Edition in red. I know there have been a few people here asking about this option and this is what it looks like in red.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 37555

After seeing this pic (it's only one view I know) I've decided there are better ways for me to spend $895. I just don't care for this option. The marketing slicks from Ford show the black monochrome and after looking at this I can see why they chose to do that.
  • dolliraedollirae Posts: 4
    Our 2001 Expedition is nearing the end of it's warranty. We don't have tons of extra money to purchase this extended warrenty, but are wondering what everyone out there thinks about it. I'm tempted to just 'play it out' and not buy it. And if I need a repair, then fix it. I do have 4 children, and one of my concerns is the electric windows. What has your experience been?
  • tourguidetourguide Posts: 188
    Ford Warranty Central lists the following things that people should consider when thinking about the purchase of an ESP:

You should consider an ESP if you are.....

-Buyers of well equipped vehicles, with extensive high-tech components.

-High mileage drivers.

-Customers who keep their vehicle beyond the original factory limited warranty period.

-Customers who like and can afford premium programs.

-Customers who can't afford or don't want to deal with unexpected repair bills.

In addition to those I would say ESP plans make sense if you KNOW that you're going to be keeping your Expy for a longer period of time. If you plan to trade out of it then it makes little sense.

When we buy our 05 I am planning to make that part of the package. 7yr/100,000 $0 deductable. That plan can be had for about $2650 on Fordwarrantycentral.com. Oh and BTW, I wouldn't consider ANY other plan than a Ford ESP. Third party warranties cost about the same and are often difficult to get payment on. Most people who purchase these plans have found that they have used them and gotten a good value for the money. (this is of the people that I've asked who've responded)
  • I like the features of the Expy/Nav vs. the GM alternatives, but I'm concerned about the third seat. I wish it didn't have one. Unfortunately, it is not removable. I occasionally need to carry a pallet load of heavy equipment. Would 500-700 pounds of cast iron crush the flat folded third seat? Do they make custom heavy duty rubber cargo mats (e.g., Weatherbeaters) for this yet?

Or, do I just put up with the solid rear axle, recirculating ball steering with mandatory service every six months on the steering assembly, cold start knocking engine, plastic pickup truck interior of the GM to get a good space for a heavy pallet?
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    Heck no you don't have to step back in time to be able to transport your heavy loads. I am sure that the seat would be fine, but for extra assurance, cut a piece of ply wood to fit in there for those times that you need to carry those heavy loads. That way your seat and carpet will be protected and weight across the same area will be better dispersed.
  • imsims Posts: 2
    I currently drive a Landcruiser '95 with AWD; my other cars have been AWD Audi and currently an AWD Subaru WRX. Since Expedition 4WD has capability of 2WD, the 4WD system cannot be like an AWD. What are the differences and which type of system will actually give better traction? I am not a car whiz, so try to keep the explanation simple. Thanks
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    Check out the 4WD & AWD systems explained discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • davantdavant Posts: 294
    IMS,

Regardless of whether you have 2WD, 4WD, AWD, manual or automatic transmission, the traction will always be the same in NWD (no wheel drive) as all axles will be unlocked and turn freely. This position is also known as neutral on your gearshift or PRNDL. Just trying to help. =]
  • wilson2wilson2 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Ford Expedition last October. At the time it had 14,000 miles on it. Since then I have noticed a few things that concern me just a little. 1.) Brakes squeal when pressed lightly. No other symptoms with the brakes just the squeak -very annoying. 2.) A rumbling sound, like I have "pipes" on the truck when I start it and until it gets warm. I have read that this might be the rear differential but it happens when the truck is standing still(yikes!). 3.) The transmission seems to hunt for gears when I accelerate from a very low speed, say 10 MPH - then it sort of slams into the next gear. It does this quite a bit in stop and go commuter traffic. All of the issues seem minor but I would like to get them addressed while I'm still under warranty. I mentioned the brakes to the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything (go figure). Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    I would have a set of Raybestos Quiet Stop pads installed if I were you. You could go round and round with your stealership and if they aren't feeling REAL cooperative you're SOL. The pads I recommended are ceramic pads and dust up VERY little. WELL worth the money.

#2 sounds like piston slap to me. If this is what it is, then there is no fix forthcoming from Ford. You could switch to a full synthetic motor oil and this will help with the sypmtoms. Keep in mind though this is much like taking sudafed for a cold.

#3 sounds like somthing Ford should be able to help with.

Is your 03 an early build?
  • Trying to build a 2004 Exp. I do not understand what the Advance Trac and Four Corner Load Leveling are. Also, the air sup.??? Can anyone explain what these are , why you'd want them??
    Thanks,
    Babs
  • califjohncalifjohn Posts: 101
    Has anyone seen any info on the 2005 Expy? I have read very little about what may change. The small diesel seems dead for sure at least until 2007 or later, but the F-150's 3v 5.4 and 5 speed auto are possible. Either or both should help fuel economy. For tourguide: Do the Raybestos ceramic pads improve stopping distances as well as reduce black dust? Does this result in increased wearing of the rotors with these harder pads? For edistobeach: You may want to search in some of the previous posts going back some time as I believe these topics were discussed. Perhaps our host will help point you in the right direction too.
  • dwgutwirdwgutwir Posts: 60
    Advance Trac is Ford's stability control system for the Expedition.

The four corner load leveling suspension is the air suspension. You'd want this if you planned to tow a fair amount, but that's really all. It might provide a better ride in some situations and also lowers the vehicle slightly when parking for easier egress. I've heard of reliability issues with this system, and its not cheap to repair post warranty.

If I wasn't planning on towing an awful lot I'd pass on this and take the Advance Trac for the improved safety in ever day driving circumstances.

Note, on the Expedition these two options are NOT available together. It is one or the other.
    I don't know if the Quietstops reduce stopping distances or not. Most people who have them claim that they are at least as good, some say better at stopping power. In my view, if they are as good at stopping and eliminate (or severely cut back) the brake dust they are a win.

Regarding the rotor wear. I think this is a myth. This was the thing everyone was saying about semi-metalic pads when they first came out. Oh, they'll tear up your rotors. I think this is a rumor started by techs who want a few more hours on the clock.

You should (IF you don't neglect them) get about 100,000 miles on a set of rotors provided your driving style isn't too agressive. The worst thing you can do to the longevity of your rotors is allow the pads to go metal on metal. Then you're screwed and it is going to cost you big $.
  • califjohncalifjohn Posts: 101
    the Raybestos info. I agree totally with your advice to not let the pads wear to metal.