Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• Thanks for the info. Hey steve(host) the gas milege does improve.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,778
    What, me skeptical? :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    I don't think our 2000 EB 4x4 has an external antenna. Is this possible?
  • klkrauseklkrause Posts: 96
    I noticed that my Expedition doesn't have an external antenna, either. However, our rear-most, passenger-side window has what looks like a built-in antenna. Kinda' nice, actually!
  • 390gt390gt Posts: 17
    Will trade in 99 E-150 on new Expedition on Monday. Any issues with the 2001 that people have? I read something about driveline shake at highway speeds in the 2000 model. I noticed the extra muffler near end of tailpipe. Is this new, it does'nt look too good. Seems pretty nimble after driving van. Are stock shocks any good?
  • frankno1frankno1 Posts: 68
    My wife and I bought a XLT 5.4L three seats with enough options to float a boat for XMAS 2000. I haven't had any problems or complaints to register as yet. We have driven it 1000miles on a trip and the gas mileage could get better. The only thing I wish is I had boutht the EB package so I could have the air suspension. I hope you have as good of luck as I have had. Keep on motoring.
  • I have been driving minivans for ten years. It is time to trade this one in, but instead of another minivan, I am considering an Eddie Baur Expedition or other large SUV. Since so many more vehicles on the road are now higher-riding SUVs, I am not feeling as safe on the road with another minivan.

My problem is passenger space. With 2 kids, carpooling, dog and grandparents toting to dinner 2 or 3 times per month, we need 3rd row seating. I have tested all the new large SUVs and was most impressed with the Expedition and Toyota Sequoia. Although these are really impressively easy to handle, I am really not comfortable driving something as big as these. I also searched the midsize SUV market, but I haven't seen any with REAL back seat room. Many 2002 midsize SUVs are coming out with 3rd rows, but I don't know if I should wait to see how roomy they are compared to the Expe. and Sequoia. I just want some feedback about this 3-part delemma.

1. Exped. vs Sequoia...which is better and why?
    2. Wait for the 2002 midsize SUVs
    3. Get another minivan with dependable ease for passengers.

Safety is my main concern, while the other needs above are to be factored in also.......someone help!
    Well, I am definitely Ford biased and my wife and I just bought an Expedition. However, we did not even consider the Sequioa because my wife works for Ford and we get a decent discount on Ford products. Also, you can get 0.9, 1.9, and 2.9% financing on the Expeditions until the beginning of April.

So far we like our Expedition a lot, but my guess is that long-term the Sequoia will have better overall reliability. Toyota is well known for their reliability.

As far as the size goes ... I have always driven smaller vehicles (compact cars), and it didn't take me long to adjust to the Expedition. The steering at low speeds, especially, helps a lot when moving around in parking lots, gas stations, etc.

I was very impressed with the new Explorer and Mountaineer (2002). The '02 Explorers have just started arriving at dealerships so should be available and inventories should be increasing quickly. The third rows in these vehicles are actually quite impressive, especially for mid-sized SUV's. I'm 6'3" and sat in the third row without much difficulty. Also, the new Explorer and Mountaineer have 4-wheel independent suspension which greatly improve ride quality and handling.

Please let me know if you need any more info (klkrause@speakeasy.net if you'd like to e-mail me).
  • Thank you so much for your response. I am very curious about the 3rd row seating on all the new midsize SUVs. I assumed they would be tiny, but being a tall family ourselves, more room back there is mandatory! I will go see if we have any 2002 models at our dealerships.

But about the Expedition, I also have some questions. The salesman I dealt with for my test drive turned out to be a novice (his 5th day on the job!) and later I discovered he mildly misinformed me about some features. Maybe you could help. In the Eddie Bauer, does 4 corner load leveling suspension really help with rollover prevention? And is it that feature that actually gives the vehicle air suspension or are those 2 different things? Also, why are some models so much higher off the ground than others? Is it the difference between 2WD and 4WD, or air suspension/load leveling? And didn't I read somewhere that ground clearance is actually adjustable (for easy entry and exit) or am I thinking of another SUV?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
    As far as I know the load-leveling suspension is the same as the "air suspension." It is supposed to lower automtically to help ease of getting in and out, but I haven't seen it in action. I've heard some people say that the ride is a little better, as well, but again haven't ridden in two of them to compare.

As far as helping to prevent roll-overs ... I can't imagine that would be the case. If anything, the higher the vehicle is off the ground, the easier it would be to roll-over. After driving a few hundred miles in our Expedition this weekend, I noticed that you definitely have to take it a little easier when cornering, but it's not so bad that you feel like you're going to roll-over all the time. Once you are adjusted to the taller, larger vehicle I'm sure it will be second nature to drive like you really should!

The 4X4's are indeed higher off the ground that the 4X2's. We ended up getting a 4X4 without the load-leveling suspension and I personally like the higher ride, but again I'm quite tall and have no problems getting in or out.

Where do you live? How many dealerships do you have in your area? We have literally 10 Ford dealerships within 20 minutes of where we live, so I found one I liked and purchased from there. If you are seriously considering a Ford vehicle, please let me know and I can probably help get you a lower price, as well.
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    I concur with KLK that the air suspension and load-leveling suspension are indeed the same thing. I don't have the air suspension on my new 2001 EB, and having looked underneath, there's nothing connected to the rear axle or suspension except shocks. That's it.

I compared the Expy to the Seq extensively before I bought. Our Eddie Bauer saved us about $9000 over a comparably equipped Seq Limited. This was two months ago, when Toyota dealers absolutely would NOT discount their vehicles. MSRP or see ya later! We now have about 2000 miles on the new Expy with no problems. Its primarily my wife's vehicle and she is quite happy with it. She says the size doesn't bother her. Make no mistake though, the Expy is a HUGE truck. So is the Seq.

One thing: DO NOT SIGN THE FINAL PAPERS UNTIL YOUR DEALER CHANGES OUT THE FIRESTONE TIRES. Don't budge an inch on this! Your family's safety is what we're talking about here. Those Firestones are "DEATH TIRES". I now have Michelin LTX M/S tires, and both the steering and ride were dramatically improved.

KLK is also right about 4x2 vs. 4x4. If your climate/hobbies don't require a 4x4, you might consider the 4x2. The ride height should be a little lower on the 4x2. Also, the EB and the XLTs with the Sport Package have 17" wheels, also adding to the ride height.

Once you get used to how a tall 4x4 handles, there's no problem. you just don't take corners as fast.

BTW- Any vehicle can be made to handle like a sports car these days. HOWEVER, most of the changes to suspension and tires that improve handling also adversely affect the ride quality. Your choice....
  • jmwiijmwii Posts: 1
    For those of you who might be looking in N. New England for an Expedition....We just purchased our 2001 EB with heated seats and sunroof. MSRP was 42,300. Grappone Ford in Concord let it go for 37,000. This is less than the Edmunds invoice price for the vehicle. This was at 2.9% for 60 months as well...This seemed like a fair price. Is this price comparable to what others have paid in New England? Thanks!
    Can't compare to New England, but its similar to what we paid for ours in Denver two months ago. Bought it for $650 LESS than Edmunds/dealer invoice.
  • hdlouiehdlouie Posts: 8
    I first tested a 1998 4x4 with 16 inch wheels and loved the way it handled and road. I ordered a 1999 4x4 with 17 inch wheel and it was quite a bit higher than the 98. Both were XLT's and road very differnt. The 99 was so sloppy it was scary to drive on the freeway. You had to constanly make corrections with steering to keep it staight.Well as someone mentioned I made a few modefications to stablize it. One, new shocks(Edlebrocks), two, sway bar (helwig) for the rear. And I had Ford replace the steering box for a late 99 and up Expedition. It's not perfect but can corner pretty fast. Down fall is a little on the stiff side. Then I decided to change out the 17's for some 285/75/16's BFG KO's, on 16x8 wheels. Love these tires so far but have to get them in the dirt now. These tires were 1.1 inches taller. You can take a look at my cheap web site that earthlink gave me to take a look at it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~louladot/
  • cobhothcobhoth Posts: 3
    Anyone have the Rear Seat Entertainment System in the 2001 EB? Just trying to get some feed back on it. Right now in Northern Cali. The dealers are giving this package away for free.

Thanks for any info.
    What is the difference in gas mileage with each rearend. I can't find the difference.

Thanks
    The difference is most likely minimal. Gas mileage is more a function of weight and aerodynamics. We're pushing a VERY heavy, almost square box down the road and I doubt that the gearing will make much difference.

OTOH- If one were to opt for the 4.6 engine, combined with the highest gearing offered, and compared that to the 5.4 with the lowest gearing offered, there would be a noticable difference of as much as 2-5 MPG, on a level highway. Of course, the 4.6 with high gearing would be unsuitable for towing, high-altitude use and climbing mountains.
    Did your XLT have the Firestone tires on it???

If so, they could have been the source of most of your steering and sloppy handling problems.

I had to drive on the 17" Firestones for two weeks until the Michelin LTX M/S tires that I ordered came in. What an amazing difference! Both steering and handling improved noticeably.

Sway bars don't increase the stiffness of your ride. That's strictly due to your new shocks. Sway bars will reduce the body roll in turns, and are a great addition if a vehicle doesn't come with a rear one as original equipment. The front sway bar should always be slightly larger (in diameter) than the rear one for the best results. If the rear is larger, the handling can get squirrelly.

I put the Eledbrock shocks on our last SUV, an Isuzu Trooper and was pleased with the results at first, but after three years with that stiff ride, the Trooper sure had lots of squeeks and rattles. I wasn't pleased with those.
  • mbridermbrider Posts: 2
    We just traded our 99 XLT Expedition in for an 01 Eddie Bauer Expedition and we got the Rear Seat Entertainment System. We really like the Ent System, its made by Audiovox and has a 6.8 inch screen. It comes with two wireless head phones that work well and help keep the kids quiet on longer trips. The only thing I don't like about the system is that with the screen down it partially blocks my view through the mirror, I just have to remember to use the side mirrors. The special deal on this system is no longer offered so you'll have to find one on the dealers lot that still has it. You should be able to get a pretty good deal right now. We live in So Cal and paid $37150 for a 4x4 EB with every option except for the 2nd row captains chairs. The MSRP was $42915 and there was a $1250 rebate and %2.9 financing for 60 months. We were able to trade our 99 Expedition in and we ended up with payments that were only slightly higher. Overall I really like the new Expedition, our 99 had the 4.6L engine and it just didn't have enough power for things like towing and climbing long hills. Given the slight price difference I would highly recommend getting the 5.4L engine. So far I can't tell any difference in the mileage.
    Hi, any recomendations for best and cheapest dealer in the Bay Area of California?

Thanks,
  • I am trying to find out if the 1998 Expeditions are all California emissions compliant. We are buying in the Southeast region.
    And, is 15,500 a good deal on a lease trade in 1998 EB Expedition in excellent condition with 33,000 miles.

Thanks
  • abwndabwnd Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Expedition XLT 5.4L with 6500 miles. I rotated the 17" General Grabber AW tires at 4000. I've clearly got "outside tire feathering" going on and I'm being told by the ford dealership that this is normal (Alignment is perfect - they checked) and that there is nothing that can be done. I've gone all the way up the chain at the Dealership.... Help!!! Do all Expedition do this? Is this normal? Anyone else have similar experience? Where do I go next?
    SUVs are hard on tires. Your tires carry a lot of weight and abuse and yet your tires must be strong enough for off-road use, which makes them stiff and not as flexible as passenger car tires.

Ask around and find out which independent alignment shop in your community is considered the BEST. Take your Expy there and have them check your alignment. If it isn't "normal", have that shop document exactly what they found, but also have them re-align it. Then send a copy of the shop's findings to your Ford dealer's service manager and ask him to pay for the alignment. At least the dealer will know you're serious, plus you'll KNOW your alignment is what it should be.

OTOH, if your alignment is OK, your only option is to rotate your tires more often, say every 4000 miles. If you buy tires from Discount or Big O, rotation is free for the life of the tires. They will also re-balance at every rotation if you request it.

On our last SUV, I rotated tires every 4000 miles to compensate for the extra wear & tear on the front tires. I intend doing the same on our new Expy.

Good Luck!
  • keskes Posts: 7
    My wife drives a 97 xlt with @74K miles. no problems but she now has fever for a new rig. A local dealer has a 2K BE still sitting. not optioned exactly as desired but close enough. I see info @ a 3K incentive to dealers and that there was no hold back? I already have them at invoice minus the 3K (which is $33300). Are there more incentives that I am unaware of. reading this thread it seems to indicate further back that people were doing even better than this. its hard to fight for more if you don't know the facts. Trade on her loaded xlt is 17700 and the dealer is at 14K - that is since the truck is constantly detailed - including the engine compartment. any insight is appreciated
    Dealers have TONS of Expeditions out there. The last thing they want is yet another one.

The lower price you get them to agree to on the new one, the lower the trade-in will be on your '97. Its what they do.

the best you can do is try again to push them into giving you a better trade, or sell the '97 yourself. Seems to me you're getting a pretty good price on the EB.
    thanx for the input. I am satisfied with the $ on the leftover - just wanted to see if there were more dealer incentives that I was unaware of. It is aggrivating to take such a hit on the one she has though I see the market is saturated with used units. If she had time to sell on her own I know she could get another 3K pretty easily - thats still well below retail that would be on a lot. So tell me - is that Rickc5 as in Vette. signed kesZR1. thanx again
    All I wanted as a handle was RickC, but Edmunds gave me the RickC5. Guess that are/were four other RickCs out there before me, maybe more after. My Vette days are over. The Expy is my wife's vehicle (like your's). I have a Lexus ES300 as my daily driver/

Don't forget that most Ford dealers are also offering VERY low interest rates on loans. Ford has its own credit company. I think ours is 2.9% for 36 months. Almost free money.

We traded in a '98 Isuzu Trooper in near mint condition with about 30K miles that listed in all the price guides at $17-18K wholesale, but only got $14K as a trade-in and felt lucky to get that. Had offers of $12.5K from a couple of dealers.
    sorry for the misread on that handle. Guess I've been around vette's too long. Appreciate that added info for comparison - Her xlt has a trade value in NADA of 17.7K - give them 700 for new rubber to get 17K. best we can get is 14K offer and her payoff is 16K:-(. The 13K-14K offer seems fairly consistent he - several dealers and types of cars i.e leftover continental and 300M too. so we know the price we're at on the new one (i.e cost+) no one wants her truck on the lot and are calling wholesalers. 300m seems best bang for the $. but I like her and the baby in the exby - + hers has served us well. But alas - she must be the one that is happy - her car - her bill. I appreciate the feedback though - helps me think.
    You didn't mention where you live. We live in Aurora, near Denver, and all my stories relate to Ford dealers in this area.

The dealer we wound up purchasing from (after visiting four others) split his holdback with us, resulting in an additional $650 reduction in price from the invoice. This was over two months ago, and the best deal we could find then.

4x4s here in Denver are literally spilling out of the dealer's lots, both new and used. Rising gas prices and a declining economy, seem to have taken their toll. No more "dot-commers" with boat-loads of money to spend I guess. This is why dealers here don't want used 4x4s as trade-ins.

However, that little trick of establishing the value of your vehicle by calling the auctions/wholesalers is yet another slimy dealer ploy to convince you that your trade-in is practically worthless. They do it here too. We're buying a Ford, with an Isuzu to trade-in. The dealers all said "we'll call the Isuzu dealers to find out what they'll give us for your Trooper". Of course, since Isuzu is in the tank, Isuzu REALLY doesn't want more used Troopers. Hence the low bids.

The only way I was able to get $14,100 as a trade-in was to assert that I had another offer of $14,000 on the table (I didn't). So I got a little more out of the trade. I hated to lower myself to their level, but if that's how I have to respond to keep from getting screwed, so be it.

Last Sunday, Courtesy Ford (one of the John Elway/Autonation chain) ran an ad offering $8500 off the MSRP on ANY new 2001 Eddie Bauer Expy. However, its really only $7600 unless you're a new college grad ($500) and are going to lease AGAIN ($400). Still, not a bad deal!

Good luck!
  • hdlouiehdlouie Posts: 8
    Rick, I did have the 17" Firestones but took them off after the first 100 miles and put on Goodyear ATS's on which are truck tires. I should have sold them before the recall of the 15's and 16 inch tires.

The shocks took the bounce out and the swaybar took out the body roll.

My X handles ok now, a little stiff but that's what I like. And corner great for it's size.

Sorry it took so long to reply but I've been working too much lately.