Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition

Comments

• sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    Well, Just 6 months into our 2000 Expy EB 4x4 and the Ford Quality :( ,I mean lack there of, has reared it's often seen head. Been having a knocking noise from the front end. Long story short. Out of alignment Chewed up the R front tire and the other we had rotated to the front during our first 12k miles. Dealer serviced and rotated better than scheduled and was not picked up despite my complaints of the noise. It has never been aligned properly and came off the truck that way. I just hope it can be aligned. Had to take it to Goodyear to figure it out. New rattles are springing up every day. Boy I sure am glad this is my Wife's car. I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that puts this Expy to shame in build quality and reliability. I have had the PF over a year and still not a rattle or a mechanical prob!
  • sencsenc Posts: 44
    I have a 2001 4.6L XLT 4x2 with 3k miles. Transmission feels like it's slipping when going from stop to moving(and on dry ground!) Has anyone experienced this problem? I know there were problems with the Trans. in the 5.4L Exp. but had not heard of any with the 4.6L. Is this common? What is the solution? I'm taking it in tomorrow. I guess I get to rent a Focus again....I need to buy one to drive when the Exp. is in the shop...

ps: Had rear-axle replaced at 400 miles, been flawless since, but I'm in no mood for this. My confidence in Ford gets weaker every day...
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    Returned yesterday from a 1,500 mile road trip in our new 2001 EB. All freeway driving on relatively flat ground. Gas mileage ranged from 13.5 to 15. Everything worked as expected, zero problems. Very comfortable on a long, boring trip.

However, I discovered I have the problem where you have to "squeeze" the last 3-5 gallons of gas into the gas tank. Frustrating and uncomfortable when its cold & windy at the gas station.

Also noticed some sensitivity to head winds and cross winds, but nothing serious (where you felt the need to drive slower, for example).
  • bear36bear36 Posts: 10
    I'm hoping to get some responses from folks out there who may have tried some of these modifications. I've already put a K&N filter on my 2000 5.4. Gas milage improved about .5 miles per gallon and I have observed more power, faster response at higher RPM's. However I am still looking for more power and efficiency out of the engine. Like an earlier poster I am interested to know if anyone has put on a Power aid throttle spacer or other type helix device and the results. I've read claims that state as much as 2 more MPG and plus 20hp 30 torque. Also, cat back systems seem to be the next logical step to enhance power. I don't want noise just more power. I understand Gibson makes a good system for mid range RPM's that doesn't make alot of noise. Anybody have experience with Gibson or other brand cat backs that are quiet and still provide good power and MPG increases? On other boards I have read comments from Expy owners that switched out exhaust systems and found little or no difference (although they had brands I never heard of) some even say there has been a decrease in power. Other posters have responded by stating the in the 99 Expy, the exhaust was already tuned so well for the truck that most after market systems don't improve over the stock. Anybody hear that before? Also isn't the 1999, 2000 and 2001 drive train pretty much identical, I think it is? If anybody else has increased power and efficiency I'd love to hear how you did it. Also I know there are (or at least I think based on some posts) some dealers that cruise this board, what are your thoughts and how do these things effect warranty, I am told cat backs and K&N's don't, but what about the helix devices?

thanks
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Posts: 462
    In an effort to provide some negotiating strength to those shopping for Expeditions, I thought the following information might be of help. On the other hand if your considering GM's full size SUVs, they appear to be significantly growing in appeal and popularity.

I compiled this info from ai-online.com for a response on another site and thought the readers here might find it of interest.

All sales figures are in units sold for the months of Jan and Feb 2001 compared to the same months in 2000.

FORD: 2001 vs 2000

Explorer/Mountaineer 54,277 vs 73,840 down -26%
    Expedition 27,494 vs 31,683 down -13%
    Excursion 5,238 vs 7862 down -33%
    Navigator 4789 vs 6215 down -23%

GM 2001 vs 2000 (GMC, Chevy and Olds models combined):

Blazer/Jimmy/Envoy/Bravada 49,950 vs 59,371 down -16%
    Tahoe/Yukon 40,113 vs 27,253 up +47%
    Suburban/Yukon XL 31,061 vs 28,974 up +7.2%
    Escalade 2084 vs 3788 (The sales for the Escalade were almost exclusively in Feb. for 2001 as this is a new model and sales were very minimal in Jan. compared to 2000. If you doubled Feb sales (2x 2723) and compared to Jan/Feb 2000, sales were up +43%).

FYI: The Sequoia is not in the same league in sales at 9,494 for the first 2 months of 2001, however it is an up and comer. Time will tell if they become a real competitor to the full size SUVs from Detroit.
  • ranwinranwin Posts: 15
    Just received my Expedition on Monday, April 9, ordered February 26th. Has tan interior. I have noticed the dash board is a darker tan than the door panels. Is this normal?

Also arrived with 4 1/8-1/4 inch scratches in colored paint beneath clear coat above the rear tail light. Any idea if this can be fixed?
    On my 2000 EB the door panels and dashboard match and the leather matches real close to the panels and dash. The carpet, floormats and cargo bay floor covering are darker but match to each other.
  • stage3stage3 Posts: 1
    I was wondering if it possible to remove the head restraints on the rear captains seats. When they are folded down the fronts seats are restricted from going back all of the way.
    Our 2001 EB has a much darker (tan) dash than the rest of the interior, except the carpet, which is also quite dark, but not the same shade as the dash.

The dealer will most likely respray a large section of your rear fender to "fix" the scratches. Personally, I wouldn't let them do that. Your best bet is to have them give you some touch-up paint and try to fix it yourself. I've done body work (MANY years ago) and there's just no way to make scratches look new again.
  • The fan on my '98 EB always runs and living in Fargo you can be certain the engine is cold at startup about 7 months out of the year. Is this common?

Also there is a vibration I can feel in the floor when traveling over 15 mph. When it is in park but running a vibration can be heard. Like a piece of sheet metal underneath the drivers side is loose. I can't see anything loose underneath. Advice? Thoughts?
    Hey MJenson,
    Make sure that vibration you feel and hear is not your load leveling suspension activating when you start your car. Mine comes on every time at start up and if I didn't know better I'd also think it was some sort of loose metal vibrating on something. However it should only last about a minute or two before it stops.
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Posts: 146
    Interesting post but irrelivant to "getting a good deal". The number that is important is the inventory day count. When the GM400 Tahoe/Burb was on the market, they were constantly in short supply and there was strong demand for them, therefore driving prices up.
    With the GM800, there is increased plant capacity, mainly Arlington Texas coming online last year. as a result there are more unsold units in the marketplace.
    As a result of this, there is PLENTY of supply for all models in question, making it possible to get a great deal on whatever you choose.
    Simple supply and demand folks.
  • Just purchased a 2000 EB 1 year old. It has less than 10K on it and we are very happy thus far. However; the dealer that we purchased it from was unable to provide us with a owners manual. We also inquired about the keyless entry and they could not give us any codes on it either. We had this feature on our van and loved it and would of course like to use it on this car as well. Any ideas on where to get this code from? If i remember correctly the car should have come with a code that you could enter to program your own code (thats how our vans was). Also how do i go about getting a 2000 owners manual? There are several features on this car that I have no idea how to use/program without a manual. For instance the driver 1 driver 2 panel on the door. Some stereo features etc. Any info would be great!
    Thanks
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,206
    They show up on eBay from time to time. Enjoy your new ride!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If you haven't done so already, I would contact a Ford dealer. They should be able to assist you in locating the keyless codes and the owner's manual. Good luck!
  • ranwinranwin Posts: 15
    try this link: http://www.qualitycareservice.com/3002.asp

you should be able to download the owner's manual - it is large 2129k - for the 2000 Expy.
  • s76drvrs76drvr Posts: 15
    I had the same problem when I purchased my 99, no manual, and no code. I asked the dealer who pointed out the master code is located on a white label up underneath the dash on the left side. Then I made him find (pull) a manual from a trade in. It gives the instructions on customizing the lock. Good luck.
  • I just bought a one year old 2000 EB like you did and had the same problem with no owners manual and no keyless entry code. I found the owner's manual online at www.ownerconnection.com and in the online owners manual i found the location of the keyless entry code. Its a 5 digit code in large black numbers on a white sticker on the computer module located under the dash just to the left of the steering column. Its pretty easy to find. The online manual also tells you how to change the code and how to use the buttons to unlock and lock the driver's door or all doors.
  • Why are people taking the owner's manuals out of the cars when they sell them or trade them in? You can order a new one from Helm Corporation for $22 plus $6.50 shipping and handling.
  • Thank You! Your information has been a great help! I will try the links you gave and am going to go look for the code under the dash! For the question asked about why someone would take out the owners manual I asked myself the same thing! Seems weird to me to keep a manual on a car you no longer own. Thanks again!
  • briancorrbriancorr Posts: 67
    Does anyone know of any online forums or clubs where expeditions are the main focus?
    Here's the URL:

http://www.g33ks.org/XOG/index2.html

A lot of the info is old, and its not visited too often, but there's a wealth of information out there and some nice pics of owner's Expys.

• carguy5000carguy5000 Posts: 146
    "Why are people taking the owner's manuals out of the cars when they sell them or trade them in?"

More importantly, who took the manuals? Most of the time it was the rental car company that had the vehicle before you! Hence the reason that the dealer cannot tell you the code either.

Much to my surprise, there were "loaded" 2000 EB's in the Hertz fleet last summer, sounds like thats what you might have.
  • auburn96auburn96 Posts: 43
    Has anyone added wood trim to the interior of their Expeditions? I have a 2000 EB and think I might want to add the wood?
  • aem1420aem1420 Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen negative safety ratings on the Expedition. We are about to purchase a 2001 EB Expedition and have been told to research a possible negative rating.
    the interesting thing is that there is so little real data out there to research.

Here's a link to the NHTSA ratings:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/NCAP/SaferCar2000/table1.html#suv

Here's a link to IIHS, but they have yet to test full-size SUVs:

http://www.hwysafety.org/

The only safety rating that might alarm you is the potential rollover rating recently published by the government. On a scale of 1-to-5, where 1 is bad and 5 is good, all SUVs and 4x4 trucks tested rated a 1 or 2, with a few trucks rated a 3.

• satch5satch5 Posts: 2
    I am getting a 2001 EB with following options: 5.4L V8, Rear Entertainment Centert (TVVCP), Limited Slip, Reverse Sensing, and Dual front side air bags. The Price - $31005 (including destination charge of $715) + TTL. This seems like an awesome price as compared to Edmunds invoice price ($35446) and its TMV ($35, 858). Any thoughts please? Also is it worth getting the side air bags? Thanks
  • aem1420aem1420 Posts: 2
    I am purchasing a 4.6 v-8. Is there valid reasons to go for the more expensive 5.4 liter. I have seen the note that says the bigger is noisier. Does it really enhance the resale value?
  • cbfrnyccbfrnyc Posts: 4
    WOW, I'm getting quoted 41.5k on EB Exp. in Manhattan Ford, where is yours from or are you buying a lemon and not knowing it?
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    You are getting gouged. I bought my EB Expy 4wd loaded with all but captains chairs for 35k before all of the huge discounting and low rates got started. Keep shopping. Of course I wasn't shopping in the NE at the time either. Good luck.