Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alwaysedalwaysed Posts: 55
    jdh1965: You are probably aware of this, but here in the States, the Maverick was a 70 or 80s Ford compact whose claim to fame was its exploding fuel tank when gently bumped from behind. It was the inspiration for the song, " You light up my life." Hope you enjoy your new Maverick. My Tribute is 2 weeks old and I feel the same as you.
  • 02whttrib02whttrib Posts: 39
    My brakes are needing replacement. Mazda dealer quoted me $159.00 EACH for rotors. I need both. Pads $98.00. Labor $200.00. That's a lot for a 34,000 mile vehicle. The earliest I have ever had to put pads on a vehicle is 60k and honestly I have never had to replace rotors. This is another ploy for Mazda/Ford to rip us off.

There are lots of "opinions" out there re any vehicle. You can't please everyone and I realize that, but at least acknowledge me that I am having problems. Do you think the hoopla of how unreliable these cars are is lies? 20 people out of say 90,000 is very unscientific.

I certainly invite anyone to come view/drive/inspect my Tribute and see what you think. I'll be glad to discuss the "few" warranty claims that have been attempted and let you look over my paperwork/maintenance receipts.

The foreign bias you have here should be eliminated from this chat, it's very obvious. The Japanese big 3 don't have the best dealership service either. But their products will outlast anything Ford makes.

I still stand on my soapbox and say, The Mazda Tribute is a piece of junk unworthy of your hard earned dollar!

Ray
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    "I need both. Pads $98.00. Labor $200.00. That's a lot for a 34,000 mile vehicle."

I feel you pain. We had to do the same thing on our Civic at about 22,000 miles.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Alwaysed - Actually, that was the Pinto.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    you had a civic that needed replacement ROTORS at 22K??? I must admit that is the first time I have ever heard of that in a civic. In fact, I would think you would have a decent case for warranty work in that case - rotors are not the type of wear item that should be exempted from the b-to-b warranty.

02whttrib: had you had them turned (resurfaced) more than once already before replacement?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    "you had a civic that needed replacement ROTORS at 22K???"

Yep. We're on the third set of pads at 54,000 miles too.

"In fact, I would think you would have a decent case for warranty work in that case"

Not according to Honda at the time. My wife is rough on brakes, but not that rough. The hills around here just add to the problem.

"I must admit that is the first time I have ever heard of that in a civic."

It's not all that common, but I have seen it on various Civic boards.

I'm not so sure that the rear brakes are doing their job as they are still fine according to PA's inspection program. That may add to the problem as well.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Brakes are a wearable item. Brake replacement depends on how the vehicle is driven. How does a brake job make a vehicle a piece of junk?? Ever look at how much better your Mazda Tribute comes to a stop when comparing other vehicles in this class? Ford/Mazda have chosen to use "soft" brake pads making braking distances shorter. and another reason for all the doggone brake dust. Try a raybestos brake pad.. And don't go to a car dealership for brakes.. if you do you a making a huge financial mistake...
    varmint: You are right, I stand corrected
    Honda are well known for having warped rotors at a young age. I've had 3 Accords since 1976 and all have had warped rotors.

We should not use Honda as brake system benchmark.
  • 02whttrib02whttrib Posts: 39
    A turd is still a turd even though it looks like a candy bar. Enough said!

Ray
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    We might have found a better way of expressing that sentiment.

tidester, host
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    I'm not disputing that you ended up with a vehicle that had problems. Every manufacturer ends up with a few vehicles that come off of the assembly line that experience problems. It also sounds like you also ended up with a poor dealership as well.

If I were in your shoes, I also would avoid the brand as well. I think thats the way it 'should' be. If a brand gives you problems, switch brands. I also believe the reverse is true too. If a brand has always been good to you, and they have a vehicle that fits your needs/wants, look towards that brand again.

When your in your Lexus at a stoplight next to a Tribute, feel free to look over and smile because someone else is driving the Tribute and not you. It won't hurt their feelings.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    I own a 2001 V6 XLT 4WD with over 28,000 trouble free miles. Scape2 5/12/03

I have just over 26,000 trouble free miles on mine. - Scape2 6/14/03

Lots of driving in reverse? OR lots of hot air?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    OR lots of hot air?

OR how about a typo? Of course, YOU'RE immune from that! ;-)

tidester, host
  • domettgdomettg Posts: 55
    I have a 2003 Trib. with 300 miles and have noticed a high pitch squeak above 35 mph. It is not the brakes because if I step on the brakes, it doesn't change. Could it be a wheel bearing? Anyone else have this?
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    Just foolin around. It's a healthy little rivalry.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I'm driving in reverse...
    How is that lawn mower engine doing in that CRV??
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    A reporter is aiming to interview someone who recently bought a new Ford for less than $38,000 after either owning used cars or waiting a while to replace a paid-off car.
    Please send your response including Ford model and daytime contact info by Monday, June 30 to jfallon@edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tribstertribster Posts: 20
    Hello everyone... New here... I bought a new 2003 Tribute LX with Tow Package and other Goodies. It has 800 miles on it now in about a month. I need help from anybody who can offer it.

I had my first problem a couple of days ago. I started noticing oil under my car. It is engine oil for sure(not red in color). I looked under the car at the engine oil pain area, and sure enough it is leaking oil. There is a cavity located right where transmisson(i think) meets the oil pan. It has a very cheap looking piece of rubber covering another cavity. The leaking oil seems to be coming from one/two bolts located in the oil pan. Not sure if it is leaking from the engine side or the Pan side. I am very disappointed and very upset. only 800 miles and one month of use.

Has anyone else experienced such an oil leak problem? Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. I guess in my case, Ford forgot about "Quality is Job one".
  • rmhivrmhiv Posts: 1
    Well! I also have 34,000 miles. My Escape is in the shop right now and is getting front pads AND rotors! I complained to the dealer AND Ford. They say it's normal wear and tear.
    I DON'T THINK SO! - I even took the car in at 5,000 miles to log a complaint about the dust - just to provide a basis for what I knew was going to happen today. That was no help. Buyer beware - $429 for brakes at 34k miles!