Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    that caught my eye, since we are considering that model. how about some more details?
  • I'm just wondering if I'm the only person that has had the worst time with the tribute. Every two weeks there seems to be something going wrong. I've had to replace the headlights, trailer hitch, Engine, Coolant reservoir, gas shocks on rear hatch(bloody thing fell on me), rear hatch window leaks, windshield leaks, the oils is dirty after only 2500km(the last time that happened I had to replace the engine. This vehicle is the worst I've ever seen and mazda will not replace it or give me my money back. I think I should take them to court. Does anybody have any suggestions? Am I the only one out there with this sort of problem?
  • My 2001 ES Trib was getting about 18-20 mpg for the first 30k miles. Not great, but steady. I recently changed the awful Firestones with a new set of Continentals (really reduced the road noise, btw). Mpg has dropped like a rock to about 15-16 and I can't figure it out. Air pressure is around 30-32. Anyone with a similar experience, or should I be looking for other probs... Just had it in for its 30k checkup w. no probs. Thanks
  • I have 2003 Ford Escape XLT. I took delivery 9-13-03. I have 6,100 miles on the truck. Within the last 4 weeks, the following has happened about 9 times: the engine dies and the "Check Engine Oil","Battery", and "Engine" lights came on and the truck died. I put on my flashers, but when I turned the key, the truck started right up and I drove on to work. I took it to the dealership, and they could not find anything wrong with it. Has anyone with this problem had it fixed? Any idea what the cause was? Any advice is appreciated - Thanks!
  • Kcallon1, you are not the only one with this issue. I have a 2002 Ford Escape XLT and it had 10,600 miles on it. For about 6 months now, it keeps cutting off for apparently no reason and then starts right back up like nothing happened when you turn the key. I also get the same 3 lights on the dash as you. I have taken it to Ford several times and they tell me they recaliberated it and it's no big deal ... but it is a big deal because it continues to happen and it may cause a dangerous scenario on day. I have seen on other forums that other people have this problem so obviously ford has an issue it needs to fix, but my dealership claims they never heard of such a problem. I will once again be heading down to Ford to "fix" my escape and sadly I'm a regular there with this FORD=Fix Or Repair Daily vehicle. If anyone has had this problem and has any clue what is causing the shut off please fill us in.
  • Have you looked into your state's Lemon Law?
  • Accelerator pedal sticking on 2003 xlt, fiqured throttle valve sticking on gunk in throttle body, since under warrenty took it to dealer. Said this is a normal maintenance item but that they were replacing throttle body since uder warrenty. they ordered part, went back today, and after they finished work told me they cleaned old throttle body and held off on new part because they were ordering a new type of throttle body. Said new type of throttle body would take at least 2 week to arrive. Anyone else heard of new type of throttle body? Apparently ford thinks this is a problem.
  • carguydccarguydc Posts: 46
    Someone asked about a 2004 Escape Limited and any issues (I think it was transmission). I've got 8,000 miles on my 2004 Escape Limited - no issues with transmission or otherwise. It's been a great vehicle.
  • brian211brian211 Posts: 69
    Ben considering an suv. With gas in nyc now over $2 a gallon, I'm thinking of sizing down from a full size explorer, durango,etc, to an escape, tribute. My question is to current owners, are these vehicles worth the extra gas savings over the larger suvs?
  • rotarykidrotarykid Posts: 191
    that's what it's all about
  • maztribmaztrib Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute ES V6, 31k and it died, all the lights came on, and it locked up on me on the freeway yesterday going 60 mph! I see here that others have had this problem with this car and the Escape and was wondering if anyone has had any luck figuring out what is going on? I took it right over to my mechanic who hooked my car up to a computer which said "No Failure." i've seen that there have been many recalls on this car but i don't know what it is. HELP!!!!!!
    I used to have an Explorer and moved to an Escape. I've been real happy with the Escape - it's really all the SUV I need. In addition, it's more fun to drive than the Explorer.

I used to tow a 21" boat with the Explorer - but I sold that a couple years ago, so no need for a vehicle as large as Explorer.

We have one small child and everything fits fine in the Escape.

Just my experience.
    fun to drive is a mustang gt; not an explorer or escape. :)
    It's all relative - I've had both an Explorer, a Mustang, and now an Escape.

200HP in that small a package is fun to drive - 4 wheel independent suspension and a car-based SUV contribute to this.

Mine is a FWD vehicle and I can spin the tires from a dead stop on a dry, smooth surface. While not great for tires, it is sometimes fun!

Lastly, I can take turns at a far higher speed than my old Explorer - again, not a Mustang, but a lot of fun on some exit ramps, etc.
  • maztribmaztrib Posts: 2
    My mechanic is a member of Alldata online and pays a monthly fee for it. It's a website you pay $200 a month to have access too, so that you can simply go on, punch in the problem, and it tells you how to fix it. SO, for all of you who have had this problem with your Escape or Tribute stalling in the middle of rush hour......and have taken your car to the dealership without it being fixed or them not knowing what is wrong...i have the paperwork here describing the computer glich in our car and how to fix it. If you've been in this situation like i just was, you know how dangerous this is, and hopefully this will save lives! Please e-mail me at cgovea@msn.com and i can either fax this to you or e-mail it to you so we can take this to the dealerships to correct this before someone gets killed!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Is there a reason why you can't tell us here what the fix is?

tidester, host
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    My local library subscribes to Alldata, so it's not like it's a secret resource available only to mechanics. Mere mortals like me can get our hands on the tsb info easily enough.

Steve, Host
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Maybe it's too large of a file to display here. Some TSBs can run four or five pages with pictures included. Alldata subscriptions are only $25 per year per vehicle, the $200/month fee is for unlimited access to all vehicle information for professionals. The information can be downloaded, too, so you don't have to pay $25/year to see the same stuff.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    Assuming it's Service Bulletin Number 0101402R (NHTSA Item Number 635764), it should be easy enough to summarize for everyone. That's the improperly functioning Evaporative Vapor Management Valve one I think.

Steve, Host
    driving in dc is not fun. i'd rather take the metro. maybe i'll get a chance to drive one of those escapes soon(if my wife buys one).