Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    That was a factor in my looking at a Quest instead of a Villager the last time I got a new car - the Nissan powertrain warranty was better, and they are the same van under the trim.

Longer warranties have become a big competitive weapon. Mitsu is counting a Hyundai style warranty to bail them out of the zero/zero/zero mess they got in:

Detroit Free Press

Steve, Host
  • csf1csf1 Posts: 4
    Hello! Just subscribed to this site because I wanted to share some of the issues I've had with my 03 Tribute over the past 18 months. No problems with the engine thankfully! Purchased the car in January of 03 and when summer rolled around realized the air conditioning was very musty smelling, especially when first turned on so I would have to turn the vents away from me and drive fast with the windows down to blow out the initial mustiness. When I brought it back the dealer told me it's the type of gas we have in Ohio. ??? Where they got that one is beyond me. They admitted they had those complaints before and "sprayed" the air conditioning and it helped initially but then was back to foul air within a couple of weeks. Also, free oil changes are nice if you can make it to the dealer M-F from 8 - 5, which I can't. My husband complained that the seat warmer on the passenger side went on by itself, which drove him crazy. Initially they told me they couldn't replicate the problem so they couldn't fix it. The next time I brought it in I asked them to look again. They explained that they get this complaint every couple of weeks. When anyone "large".. any typical man, gets into the car by sitting then swinging legs in, the bottom of the seat is pressed down onto the button turning the heater on. I'm having it disconnected next week. They can do that while they are taking the seats out to buff and seal the rusted metal runners and supports under the front passenger and drivers' side seats. Service told me they never see rust like that unless a car has been submerged. (Does this explain the musty air conditioning?). Just for the record, the district manager refused to cover new metal supports under the warranty but the dealer is trying to make the customer happy. This is not surface rust we're talking about.. So that's it! Overall I'm happy with the car. No mechanical problems yet!

CSF
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard!

"sprayed" the air conditioning and it helped initially but then was back to foul air within a couple of weeks.

It may take more than one spraying to get the job done. Actually, you can do it yourself for practically no cost. There was a post by another user on these boards who spelled out in detail how he did it but our software upgrade seems to have our search feature paralyzed at the moment. I think the recommendation was to spray Pine Sol into the air conditioner intakes - somewhere beneath your windshield wipers.

I also recommend turning off your air conditioning shortly before you turn off your engine (a minute or more).

tidester, host
    Thanks! And thanks for the suggestion! I'll ask the service team where the intake is when I take it in next week and give it a shot. I'll let you know if it works.

Have a great weekend!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    While you're at it, ask you dealer what they use and what they would recommend. The other user may have said Lestoil - I just don't remember for sure.

tidester, host
    Thanks! And thanks for the suggestion! I'll ask the service team where the intake is when I take it in next week and give it a shot. I'll let you know if it works.

Have a great weekend!
    I'll ask...
  • lanceflancef Posts: 8
    You can also go to www.ford-trucks.com Then go to the forum for Ford Escape. There is a writeup and link titled "cab air filter" which details how to install a cabin air filter. There is a place for a filter but one is not installed when you buy a new Escape/Tribute
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    There were some problems with the early model Escape evaporator drains plugging up or collapsing; I can't remember what model years were affected. Anyway you might mention this to the SM next time you're in, just to see what they think.
    Yes, but they were counting on the zero-zero-zero mess to bail them out of their previous problems, namely poor quality. Mitsu has been way behind the top Japanese marques in quality/reliability for a long time. And their products are neither sophisticated nor sporty; there really is no "Mitsubishi market." Longer warranties can actually spell disaster for a company incapable of building durable products.
        This 100k warranty craze is pretty curious when you consider that mostly companies with spotty quality histories are pushing them. Honda and Toyota haven't yet felt the need to match it: most of their products across the board still approximate the base warranties of their domestic competitors. It's ASSUMED their products are fairly reliable to 100K, and most loyal Honda/Toyota people are willing to pay an extra 10-20% retail for their vehicles up front with the understanding that they'll recoup their investment with lower long-term repair costs.
         Tripling these base warranties is expensive. I think it's actually another form of cynical short-term strategy: Lure buyers in with the feeling of security, create some cashflow, get your greasy mug on the cover of every business magazine as the next "Turnaround King," then high-tail it out of dodge (or Kia, whatever) with a sack of cash leaving your successor to deal with the millions of dollars of warranty repairs your company can't pay for. When those bills come due, it will be the buyer of the next-generation models expected to pay the extra cost of the company's new "upscale" models. Problem is that if the Kias, Suzukis, and Mitsus of the world haven't established quality reputations, customers will balk. "Why pay Honda prices for a Daewoo?" A lot of these borderliners will crash & burn. Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but every market has a saturation point.
    If you don't like Kia or Hyundai, I'll offer up Dodge as a good example of a company that turned its recent fortunes around with an extended warranty in its marketing quiver.

But to your point, their warranty costs have dropped 34% in three years, so they got the build quality under control at the same time they extended the factory warranty. (Forbes)

Steve, Host
    "If you don't like Kia or Hyundai, I'll offer up Dodge as a good example of a company that turned its recent fortunes around with an extended warranty in its marketing quiver.

But to your point, their warranty costs have dropped 34% in three years, so they got the build quality under control at the same time they extended the factory warranty."

Build quality and warranty costs are not the same thing. Warranty costs can be artificially reduced by refusing claims and cutting labor pay to dealer technicians, among other ways.

A lot of companies are showing incredible decreases, in the 20s and 30s% in warranty costs over the past few years, modeling their new math after Ford's "streamlined" claims system. But the same companies are showing far less gains in quality or problems per vehicle during the same period. Huh???

If, over the past three years warranty costs and build quality have been moving Chrysler's favor, why was their market share at its lowest point late last year? And in the middle of the aggressive financing period/price cuts? Because a quality reputation is established over a long period of time. That article goes on to mention the hot selling new models recently introduced, like the 300C, Magnum, and Durango, and the reduced scrap rates in their plants (which is a better indicator of quality), as major contributors to their (very) recent market share increase. Certainly, an extended warranty will lure more buyers, but if a customer's decision is made based on a warranty, then doesn't that show how little faith he had in the product's quality to begin with?
        New model introductions always put a quick spike in manufacturer's earnings. But will Chrysler sustain quality improvements? Odds are they won't in the short term. New model intros are usually accompanied by teething problems that temporarily retard quality reports. My contention is that simply tripling base warranties will be a long-term disaster for companies that can't *greatly* improve and sustain their quality.
    Ok, but if Mitsu doesn't have the quality reputation to attract buyers, how will they get people to the dealer without some hook?

If they are making the most dependable cars in the world right now, it still will take a few years for the word of mouth and long-term reliability ratings to generate sales.

The highest warranty claims among auto makers right now is Ford (trying to stay a little topical!) with 2.5% of sales, according to that Warranty Week link. So if Mitsu can get sales going again with the Hyundai style warranty, and keep their claims rate down (the norm is 1.9% for US manufacturers), then maybe they'll be in a lot better shape in three years than they were after three years of zero-zero-zero.

I really think that a 5/60 powertrain warranty should be norm these days whether it's an Escape or a CR-V.

Steve, Host
    "Ok, but if Mitsu doesn't have the quality reputation to attract buyers, how will they get people to the dealer without some hook?

If they are making the most dependable cars in the world right now, it still will take a few years for the word of mouth and long-term reliability ratings to generate sales."

Im not saying they shouldnt try every angle to get people in, but if they cant fix their quality problems, the extended base warranties will indeed cost them more in the long run than a 3/36 warranty. Desperate times call for desperate measures, but Im sure thats what they thought at the start of the 0-0-0 campaign.

"I really think that a 5/60 powertrain warranty should be norm these days whether its an Escape or a CR-V."

If you're saying "should be" like "I sure would like for this to be so" then yeah I agree. Shoot, manufacturers "should" give us 10/100 warranties. But if Honda can sell a certain amount of cars and make a hefty profit, increasing their market share slightly each year, offering base warranties, why would they spend more on 5/60 warranties? Loyal Honda and Toyota buyers will return to replace their Camrys and Accords based on brand loyalty built on years of positive experience. That's where the money is in any business-repeat customers. When you have to spend all your profit on advertising and incentives trying to replace dissatisfied lost customers, you're right where Mitsu is now.
  • chuck1chchuck1ch Posts: 15
    2001 Tribute LX 45,000 miles.

Started getting light and dealer said it was the overflow tank. Had to order part, which they sent to me for self install. Two nuts, two hoses and one electrical connector. Done in 30 minutes, most of which was straining the coolant from the tank through a filter which caught alot of crud. Had coolant flushed at 40K. Thought the tank would be flushed too.
  • idleidle Posts: 8
    I don't have a stalling problem but after the recall my escape idles at 2200 rpm when I start it up, this happens even if the engine is warm. It quickly goes down to 750 rpm but the 2200 is too high when compared to the 1200 to 1400 rpm it reached when starting before the recall fix. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this. Ford tells me that 220 is normal.
  • idleidle Posts: 8
    My Escape, after the recall idles at 2200 rpm when I start it up, this happens even if the engine is warm. It quickly goes down to 750 rpm but the 2200 is too high when compared to the 1200 to 1400 rpm it reached when starting before the recall. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this. Ford tells me that 220 is normal. The recall was to fix the deceleration stalling problem.
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    It can be corrected but you need to visit performance shops, the shops that sell chips and other hi tech things. They'll hook up handheld PC and overwrite idling speed.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Why there are two Escape/Tribute problem rooms? There is very little to no difference between an 04 and an 05. Not enough to warrant two rooms...
    And why is there no CRV problem room again??