Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tdevanetdevane Posts: 35
    So now I'm told my steering rack needs to be replaced at 50k miles due to a leak. Does this sound crazy for this part to be going up?
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    Where did you get your rotors and pads replaced? Low quality rotors and pads squeaks when they get hot...
    how funny..i just found out mine is leaking as well. This isn't a part that I should need to be replacing this soon. And Im 2k miles out of warranty.
    Seems to squeek mainly in the morning. Just had them replace 2 months ago.
    Morning squeeks are harmless, don't worry about it. It should go away within 3-4 miles of driving...
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Bought it new, sold with 36K, all options except leather. It had 1 stall (reflashed & no problem for next 18 months), 2 leaky brake fluid reservior porblems, 1 coolant light problem, squeek hatch 2x. I changed my tranny fluid at 20,000 (no problem just did not want to take any chances due to reports of shudder & failures). All in all was a fairly good rig, but I did not have confidence in it for the long haul. Was in excellent condition, but resale was not very good -- got $14,500 on private party sale --took about a month.

Replaced with a 04 Audi A4 1.8T FWD CVT. Audi's have their detractors also, but we have zero problems in the 1st 12,000 miles. The Trib had 4 trips to the dealer in same span. The A4 better than Tribby it in every category.
  • czr216czr216 Posts: 1
    When the gas pump is locked in, once it finishes filling the gas tank and it shuts off, the gas overflows and spills out on to the side of the Escape. This doesn't happen at all gas stations and at some it's worse than others. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 134
    Yes, my rack had to be replaced on my 02 Tribute at about 30k. It was leaking, I saw the resevoir going down and brought it in. It was done under warranty.

I was surprised the dealer had the rack in stock. Must be common.
  • idleidle Posts: 8
    It looks like you know a lot about Escapes. I'd like to ask you a question. I have a 2002 Escape 3.0L that idles at 2200 - 2500 rpm when starting cold. It used to idle at 1400 rpm but Ford did a reflash related to stalling when decelerating below 60 km/hr. Ford says the idle at 2200+ is normal. How can I adjust the cold idle? Is there a mechanical way of doing it or do I have to re-program the PCM? Will a Diablo or Super-chip tuner do the trick? Thanks.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    2200-2500 does sound a bit high. I remember our former '02 did idle a bit higher on a cold start after the stall recall. However, it crept down gradually, within 30 seconds, to the normal idle of about 700-800.

From what I've read on another forum you can adjust the idle mechanically via the throttle body by basically turning a screw. However, that method supposedly can cause other driveability problems and I don't know exactly what they are.

Apparently the safest way to adjust the idle is via the PCM and sometimes simply resetting it (disconnect the battery) does the trick.

More info can be found on Escape-Central if you're interested.
  • burb72burb72 Posts: 1
    Does the 2005 escapes 2.3 four cylinder have the stalling problems. Or what other issues should I be concerned about, also is the mileage posted on the ford website accurate. my other option is a pontiac vibe. thanks for your help mike
    Before you go further, go to Vibe problems forum and read it...
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Only the first models of the Escape had trouble and it was mainly the V-6 models. 2005s are fine.
  • ottawanottawan Posts: 31
    I checked Vibe out before ordering escape.
    Vibe is much smaller, and ride is so-so, and that strange placement for antenna...

Plus, if you plan to lease, the monthly payments will be at the same range, as Escape have much higher residual.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    No Escapes are affected by the stalling problem anymore as a recall was issued earlier this year to correct it. Only 2001, 2002, and most 2003 models were part of the recall.
  • escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    For those replacing their pads and rotors for the
    first time on 2004 and older models, please note to use the best quality materials and possible and only use a reputable shop or mechanic to do the work. I used PROSTOP ceramic-enhanced from
    PepBoys. I also used the same make rotor. I'm not sure if Ford is stilling using the dust-ridden
    pads and disposable rotors like I had on my '01
    XLT 2WD V6. The new pads are way better and don't dust-up near as much as the Ford OEM pads.
    The PROSTOP rotors are turnable too, instead of
    throw-away. The front disk system on the '05's seems to be beefier and still does a good job stopping the Escape, which is one of it's better
    attributes. A friend who's a mechanic helped put them on, paid him instead of the dealership or shop.

So far, 58K miles but no signs of trouble ahead on the tranny or steering rack that I've read from the postings. I've had two (2) complete BG chemical flushes, on the cooling system, transmission, and power steering systems. Maybe this has helped, I don't know, but it's peace of mind insurance for me so far.

Then only other issue is that my mileage has gone down from 19 mpg city to about 16.5-17. I've been in touch with the dealer who did the recall
    PCM re-flash, and they claim it has nothing to do
    with the recall. However, oddly enough the mpg drop didn't seem to start happening until after the recall re-flash. I've checked alignment (often overlooked as cause for low mpg), brand new spark plugs, tires balanced, etc... all the
    obvious or what I think obvious stuff, but no better mileage. If any body has ideas let me know. Oh, and btw, I've run BG44K fuel additive,
    (super-concentrated) at $20 a bottle for about the last 40K miles, from what my shop has told me, would circumvent the need for a fuel-induction/injection service. I add it about every
    5K miles to the fuel tank.

Still love the Escape though, it's still got plenty of power for my needs and has been a reliable, good vehicle to date... just keep up with the maintenance.
  • sacksack Posts: 1
    My wife and I bought a 2004 Escape in March and have about 4500 miles on it. Our mileage is about 17 mpg. Is this about average. It has the v-6 FWD
  • escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    My mileage seems to fluctuate from the time the PCM was reflashed for the recall to now. Like I said it was about 19-MPG before. Now, it seems
    to be 16-17 MPG. Of course a lot has to do with
    personal driving habits. I don't consider myself a hard driver. Most posts about MPG seems to be in the 18-19 City / 22+ Hwy range, which should be about right with the exception of the '05's which d/t some retuning seem to be getting a couple more MPG better.
  • marielmariel Posts: 1
    Hello - I can't believe my luck - I also have an '02 Tribute purchased in Jan 2002 - my sunroof just broke (switch seems to work but the window is stuck open) and I am just barely over 50k miles. Because of the mileage, it's not under warranty anymore - the dealer told me it would cost over $2000 to fix. If it hadn't been raining the past week, I would have noticed it wasn't working and it would have been under warranty. I'm not sure what we are going to do, but I know I'm not buying another Mazda or Ford or going back to that particular dealer.
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    I agree you should find another dealer if they can't fix this for less than $2000. Unless someone does a circuit test you can't tell whether the switch is working. It could be something simple, have you checked for a blown fuse? The motor could also have gone bad, that would certainly cost less than $2000 to fix. Also, this could have happened to any vehicle with a sunroof, regardless of brand.