Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Front turn signal replacement requires removing retaining bolts, screws and nylon fasteners along the wheel well trim in order to gain access to the turn signal bulb receptacle. Removing the receptacle will require some patience and a bit of manual dexterity because a wire harness partially obscures access to the back side of the receptacle. You will need to twist the receptacle gently to detach it from the head lamp assembly. Total cost per side: $2.25, plus 45 minutes labor. I hope this helps.
  • There was a recall to remedy sudden power losses. The very same scenario occured to me. Please ask your local Ford Dealer to research applicable recalles based upon your VIN #. I cannot remember precisely the component that was replaced, but after paying for the repair, later that same year Ford issued a recall and refunded to cost of the repair.
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    "Nobody called anybody a "liar" that I can see, but to pretend that everything you read here is accurate and meaningful is just plain foolish."

Snowman's original post:
    "My personal opinion is that there is massive trolling going on here since January. Looks like winter months are "national transmission gone bad" months for some fictitious escape owners."
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 134
    My 2002 ES-V6 was in for the accelerator cable recall last week, so I had them do an oil change. When I left, I could smell burning oil, which I figured was from the oil hitting exhaust and them not wiping it up. When I opened the hood, I also found they had spilled oil on the engine when filling it, and had not wiped it up.

What slop, and from a Mazda dealer, yet.

I've also had a similar experience after an oil change from a Honda dealer. Being a dealer doesn't mean your'e guaranteed high quality work.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    I have always changed my own oil. In a rush before Christmas, I took my Accord to a Firestone dealer for a change, and sure enough, as I had expected, there was the smell of burning oil for a few days following the change. The Tribute with the 4 cyl is the perfect type, with the filter hanging vertically. I will be able to fill it before spinning it on. Read the message from a fella in Canada who had a dealer change his oil on his Tribute. Very expensive, exchange rate and all, and also sloppy work. Must be the school these guys have to attend...... There are some great mechanics out there, but in order to make big profits, they have to cut the little corners we don't when we do the work ourselves.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    Let's steer away from making this a debate about others' honesty and personal accusations.

I like to think the majority of our members are intelligent enough to weigh the pros/cons of each situation and decide for themselves.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• cparkercparker Posts: 1
    I have a '02 Escape XLT 4WD with 39,000 mi. It's currently in the shop to have the torque converter replaced for the second time. First time went up at 21,000 mi. This vehicle has been nothing but problems. The bearings were replaced last week. I have had it serviced per Ford specifications. The following has been replaced...throttle sensor, manifold, some kind of modulator, rear wiper assembly, sunroof switch, and all recalls have been done. More has been done but I can't remember them all. The rear window still leaks from time to time and I have had problems with the starter. I only drive 11 mi. to work each day and have only needed 4WD to get out of my driveway on four occassions. I do not abuse my Escape. I actually pamper it. I have contacted the National Hghwy Trans. website to file a complaint about the torque converter. I was informed that that is how many recalls are initiated. My dealer also told me that the transmission dipstick has the wrong spec.'s on it regarding the type of fluid to be used. The dealer has been working with me to lessen the costs for these repairs because they have been the only mechanics to work on it.
  • ryan41ryan41 Posts: 21
    Jag:

You are the only person who seems to have expierenced the same ticking/tappet noise that both of my Tributes have had. Traded in my 02 when the warranty was expiring because of the noise. Dealer kept telling me that it was normal. Bought the 05 after two months same exact noise when the engine was warmed up. Did some research and found the TSB that describes it exactly. I am bringing mine in next week along with the bulletin. I would like to keep this Tribute for a long time. Is that what they did for your car? Did it work?
  • escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    You mean you actually got your dealer to admit that the dipstick label is wrong? I've asked my purchasing dealer about this and they disavow any knowledge of there being a problem. I've called
    Ford Quality Care, and been told the same thing.
    However, the person on the other end of the line didn't seem too knowledgeable anyway.

If there was a mislabeled, misplaced, tranny dipsticks placed in the filler-tube on a bunch of
    Escapes or Tribs., then the truth will eventually come out, may take awhile but it will. But then again it could be a silent-type of admission, with no repecussions.

As mentioned in previous posts, no problems at 67K
    miles on my '01 XLT V6. Currently running synthetic Mobil 1 ATF for the last 6K miles. Will continue to do so, unless otherwise notified. Shift points seem normal and functioning properly,
    with no skips, or hard-shifts. Will keep everyone posted if anything crops up.
  • akgirl1akgirl1 Posts: 1
    My car has only 30,000 miles but is almost four years old so I'm doubly mad about this problem and wondered if anyone else has it- the alarm system seems to be very touchy- opening the driver door just a little too quickly or too roughly triggers the alarm- it happens about twice a week- but never when it's at the repair shop! Today it went totally blotto and cannot be over-ridden with panic button or anything else- blasts repeatedly for five full minutes each time the doors are opened. I took it in and they said it's part the 3 year mark and it will cost $400!!! to fix. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Can anyone help me. I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute. There is a humming noise when I put on the brake. I only hear it when it's in drive and reverse and when I put on the brakes. When I turn the steering wheel it makes it as well. I've taken it to a mechanic and they can't find anything wrong. Has anyone else had this problem.
  • mazdamadmazdamad Posts: 3
    I bought my 2002 Tribute on a Saturday and didn't drive it again until the following Tuesday where it died in the middle of the freeway. After it was towed to the dealership I was told nothing's wrong; 2 months later they found the battery was never tied down and was split in 1/2 leaking battery acid. Six months later it was in the shop because the gas cap indicator light wouldn't go off - found out the seal to stop fumes from coming in the car was defective. Then the parking brake light wouldn't go off - oops this time the master cylinder had fluid on it- from where - who knows. Finally made it to 29k miles - took it in for a check up - they found an axle broken - interesting since the suv is only driven 26 miles on the hwy a day. Then the brakes went bad - only to be told by the dealership that the brakes are European and tend to wear out because they can't support the weight of the vehicle - interesting...and finally it will be back in the shop again for the parking brake light -this time the dealer thinks there is a break in the brake fuel line. My Lemon-Law attorney has agreed to take my case. Mazda/Ford can have their vehicle back...give me a Toyota.
  • Car is back, two weeks to round up new head assy, gaskets, etc. from all over U.S.A. Diag. was burnt valves and seats on cyl. #4. (oil changed faithfully every 5k mi.) Seems to run good, fingers crossed, thank goodness for Ext. Warranty.
  • jag617jag617 Posts: 2
    Sorry, to have not written sooner...
    I have a post, somewhere around #2800?!
    I had the same problem with my 2002 Tribute...and finally, at 29,000 miles; they service writer "acknowledged" it.
    They removed the head covers, and removed, and re-torqued the keepers...at least this is my understanding. That's all...and voila; no more valve train noise!
    In talks with the service manager...I learned there was a recall for this, in December, 2003.
    Good luck!
    jag
  • ryan41ryan41 Posts: 21
    Jag:

Thanks for the info, I went into the dealer that used to service my 02, service writer knew exactly what I was talking about and said it is a cap thrust adjustment, he said they did a 05 last week and said that it was no big deal. I am taking the car there on Wednesday for the adjustment. Its funny it is the same exact noise as my 02. Hope this works. Thanks again for the info.
  • ckohlerckohler Posts: 1
    light in dash panel comes on& off ,have to tap
    on inst panel to get it to come on.
    what type of bulb is in instrement panel ,and how do you get axcess to it.
    on 2004 trib.
  • laalaa Posts: 4
    This weekend we test-drove three 2005 Tributes (V4 and V-6) and all three seem to have the tires squeak or bark when ever we turned. Is this normal for a mid-size SUV or Mazda vehicles. We also drove the Ford Escape, Santa Fe. Outlander, CRV and none of these made the noise with the tires. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I read of noisy tires on other forums about the Tribute but no one explains what the noise is. Would different tires make a difference? I was not turning fast or turning to sharp or even accelerating through the turn. I drove all the others the same way. We really like the Tribute but not sure if I could put up with noise EVERY time I turn. Anyone else experience this?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Hmmm.. This sounds rather strange. For a test, I took my Tribute out for lunch today (05 AWD V6), lowered the windows (thankfully it has finally warmed up a little here in Northern VA), and listened. No weird squeaking or barking during routine turns.

The fact that multiple Tributes did this is weird, but perhaps that dealer has their tires inflated improperly. I had to add some air to all of my tires after purchase (I like them be at the higher side of the recommended PSI).

The problem that most people talk about with regards to tire noise and the Escape/Tribute, is that the tires that come standard have some noticeable road noise at highway speeds. I have noticed it with mine (it is not unbearable, mind you) but will definitely replace with better tires when the originals need to be replaced. My co-worker recently put on Michelin's on his Escape and has noticed a definite decrease in road noise and better handling. I would suggest going to a different dealer and test again.
  • laalaa Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice. I will try another one and have them check the tire pressure. I will also watch to see if I am turning to sharp or acclerating into the turn. Any one have actual mpg on V4 and V6 that they are getting? Thanks again?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Now mind you, I have the AWD V6, and it is not broken in all the way yet, but here is what I am averaging:
    15-18mpg city
    23-24mpg highway
    19-22mpg mixed

This is about normal for a V6 Escape/Tribute, but I also should mention that I live in DC and the cold weather, and stop and go traffic definitely affect my numbers. Some V6 owners average higher than mine, and I also have a case of the lead foot sometimes :)

I figure if you pay for the V6, you may as well enjoy it:)

For comparison, my Tribute gets almost identical mpg to my V6 Nissan Altima.