Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hi everyone,

My first try at posting. At issue is my mom's 2001 Tribute ES which I drove this past weekend. When cruising at various speeds, sometimes the transmission seems to clunk as the RPM drops to around 2.5K. It is almost like it is dropping into another gear but certainly is not very "normal" like as the car lurches a bit and there is an audible clunk. It always happens when decelerating. Twice, a fairly loud vibrating noise was also heard which went away after a couple of seconds. (ABS?)

Well my brother and I checked what we could visually and the only thing we found is a strange unequal wear on the right front tire. This tire does not show an uneven wear pattern indicating that alignment seems OK but it is clearly worn down with respect to the other three. I would say that more than half the thread is gone while the other three still show 3/4.

Is there a transmission problem causing the tire wear or is it the other way around? We have heard of a dragging brake causing similar problems with unequal tire wear but have not seen anything about transmission/differential problems. The steering is fine with no pulling and the transmission oil levels and color looks good.

She has only 24K miles on the Tribute. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John
  • I have an '03 that made some noise when I would brake. I thought I had a rock in the brake. Before I could get it to the dealer the whole thing broke and now I need a new case. What kind of noises were you hearing? Thanks
  • My car was broken into the other day. The glass on passenger side was broken. Door is ok. All broken glass was removed by window replacement but the door will not close properly. It has been up at the Ford Dealership 3x's this week. Each time told the door is fixed but when I drive home the door flies open. I have an appt on Monday with the Ford manager but I figured I would check the internet to see if anyone else has had this kind of problem b4. Please help!!!! :mad:
  • I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this has already been suggested. My 2002 Tribute also had crackling / flexing sounds soon after I purchased it (Sept. 01). They drove me crazy. After spraying/oiling/lubing every possible thing, it turned out to be the door hinges (most noticeable in cold weather). Since I started spraying them regularly with white lithium grease, I have had no more problems and in fact my Tribute has absolutely NO squeaks or rattles at 76k miles.

I hope this helps
  • I own an 01 Tribute that is now decesed due to a ceased engine. I personally took care of the maintance on this vehicle including every single oil change, air filter change, tune ups etc. This car is 5 years old this month and had 81,000 miles on it. My wife was driving on a highway and almost got killed when the engine died. If the check engine light continually comes on, please be very careful. The dealer's official diagnosis "your vehicle needs a new motor". Garbage Frod engine. I am awaiting a response from Mazda. I have no idea why I thought anything with a Ford engine would be anything disposable.
  • Hello,
    I have a 2002 mazda tribute and while starting the intake valve blew apart. Can you please tell me more about the dealer recall specifics since the dealer is ready to charge me over $800 to replace the valve, gasket and one other part that got damaged as a result.
    Thank you
  • The LCD back light for the gear selector has gone out. The gauges are still lit but the P R N D 2 1 digital LCD is dark. What could be the problem? I hope a fuse and not a costly repair. Any ideas?
  • Sorry to hear about your engine, was it the 4 or 6 cyl. ? My '01 Escape XLT V6 so far shows no signs of premature failure or anything, but it's hard to gauge as I'm sure you know, what may be happening internally all the time. I've got 83.5K miles now using synthetic oil from 25K.

Will Mazda have engineers come and take a look at the engine to see if they can find out what may have caused this? If not, they should. You may want to insist on this or there may be a legitimate claim agianst Mazda. I agree that it was a totally dangerous situation for the engine to seize-up. Also, see if Mazda may be willing to contribute good-faith money to the cost of an engine. It happens a lot when customers push a little, that is you're willing to do this, which you may not be at this point.

A new 3.0 V6 short-block engine (probably re-man'd in actuality) is listed at FordPartscheap.com for ~$1334.00 + shipping. The install could be ~15-hrs. at $75.00/hour or thereabouts. Total could be as high as $2700+ by my figures for another engine. :(
  • According to FordPartsCheap.com the parts needed to repair the intake manifolds(s)[upper and lower] should cost ~$240.00+ shipping. Two (2) manifolds, 6-gaskets, gasket-lube, what else is needed ? I'm not sure if you have the 4 or 6 cyl.. The 4-cyl. manifold is $135.00+ shipping. Not sure what the other part you mentioned is, but I'm not sure why the dealer is figuring $800.00.

Changing spark-plugs, where you have to remove the intake manifold(s) and change gaskets pays about 2.5-hours which would be $190.00. Factor a little profit for the dealer and you have ~$500.00 Total. Ask the dealer to be specific and line-item all of the charges in advance.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Posts: 130
    Has anyone notice a popping noise come from the seat when you first go to sitt in the seat. It comes from the back of the seat(cushion) and not the bottom cushion. Sounds like a plastic popping noise, only happens once when you first sit in the seat and push back into it to get situated. ???
  • i had the same problem 2003 escape v6 it was the rack & pinion cost about $350 parts & labor at a reasonable mechanic.
  • I have a 2005 Escape and my light for my 4X4 isn't working right, it blinks three times then stops and repeats every minute or so. In some cases I can't get the light to come on at all.

I have had it in the shop 3 times (this will be the 4th). Is anyone having this problem? I can't drive 40 miles to work everyday wondering if my 4 wheel drive is going to kick in.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Posts: 130
    I have a 2005 tribute, and I can tell my 4wd is working but the light never goes on when it kicks in, I figured it wouldnt due to the automatic 4wd system. Did know it was suppose too? Anyone else notice this?
  • We own a 2002 Tribute with 75k miles. For the last several months our Tribute cuts off right after starting. We have to keep our foot on the gas to keep the RPMs above 1000 for a couple of minutes before it's ok. The longer it sits without running, the worse the problem. Any suggestions?
  • Two or more issues may affect the hard-start problem:
    1.) Have you changed your IAC (Idle Air Control module)?
    This could have an affect on starting, and stalling,
    etc.. To replace takes about 10-minutes and costs
    $75.00 for the part.
    2.) Have you had the factory EPROM updated per at least 1-
    recall ? This also could affect stalling at speed.

There very well could be other issues, such as a dirty intake, which should be cleaned every 15-20K miles, bad coil-over plug boots, corrupt spark plugs, etc..
  • When I took my new Tribute (3.0 L, V6, Classic 2005) the first time to the beach I did not deflate the tires and got bogged in the ruts. Sand was very soft and all 4 wheels were covered with sand (about 1/3rd). Tried to reverse down the embankment, but none of the wheels moved (I was in 4WD lock). Got free with snatchum strap. Same happend again in the country trying to get up a steep hill. Mazda had no answer to this.
    Could this be normal and if so, why?
  • I have the same problem with a 2005 Escape. Will try lithium grease. Thanks for the hint
  • I have the same LCD light problem with my 2004 Escape.

I was wondering if you ever figured our how to fix this.

Thanks
  • Hey pygomer, i am also noticing the same behavior in my V6 2wd, wondering if you found out more about this issue.
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    I can't for the life of me, find where in the manual it tells you how to calibrate the compass on the mirror. I can always call my dealer, but I figure that some input here might save me the call. Thanks!