Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    another case of a single post. another 1 and done. i would ignore it.
    you asked some good questions and got no reply.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    if i were you, i would sell my vehicle and walk everywhere for the rest of my life.
    hope this helps. ;)
  • I have a 2002 Tribute LX V-6 with 122K that is well maintained and has been running fine. Unexpectedly, the steering wheel started to shake at 65 mph, the engine felt like it was running rough at 1800 rpm and below (but the engine was smooth above 1800 rpm), and the Check Engine light started to flash. I drove home right away and the engine ran rough the whole way. Opened the hood and there was no obvious problem. Turned the engine off and called the tow truck. The operator restarted it and the Check Engine light did not flash but the engine ran a little rough. Had it towed to the local Mazda dealer. They ran the computer diagnostic check the next morning and found no codes had been recorded (strange!) and no problems were found after driving it around during the day. Any ideas???
  • I have just joined so this is a late response. I have a 03 Escape. I was vacationing in the south. Same thing, had a coil fail. 19 days later, 2 more failed. Reason? The boots failed and let moisture in. On the 2nd repair I told the mechanic as long as the engine was apart to replace the plugs and other boots. He agreed it was a good idea! I had 75,000 on the vehicle. Total bill $1200. I contacted Ford and after lengthy conversations, letters, support from my dealership, and copies of the repair bills, they refused to admit there was a problem or contribute to the bills. I was requesting 1/2 of the repair. So a word to the wise, while they claim the plugs are good for 100,000, the boots won't last that long and you'll be paying for expensive coils. Change the plugs and boots early. I just found out the other day from a dealership they have changed the compound of the boots. Don't know why if the originals were fine?? While my dealership is fine (for a dealership) Ford Customer Relations really put off this customer for $550 bucks. I'll remember that when I purchase a new vehicle again.
  • deaundeaun Posts: 6
    Back in the day I had any number of cars that did not have power steering. I built up some pretty nice bicepts for a girl. Imagine how glad I was to have those muscles when the big ol' Pontiac Lemans I had lost the power steering on a sharp curve.... I feel for you and can well understand how your darling wife must feel right now (vulnerable).

Ignore the guy who thinks you are "making it up"; he must be either very young and foolish--or very lucky.
  • deaundeaun Posts: 6
    Hey guys and gals,

I traded my RX-8 ("internal engine failure" :lemon: ) in yesterday for a 2005 Mazda Tribute. This is my third Mazda, and I have never received a single TSB or recall notice from Mazda. This is especially troublesome when I purchased new, but now I am wondering where/how I can get my hands on the TSBs or recalls for the Tribute. Any suggestions? I know from experience that mazdausa.com is worthless as far as posting them.

Thanks for your input!

Deaun
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide has summary TSB and recall info.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Last night my car gear shifter stuck in reverse and wouldn't move when sitting parked at a traffic light.(had to have it towed to the garage) The mechanic says he can repair my shifter cable for $396 this seems very high just for a cable repair - they are not replacing it. Has anyone had a similar problem that can share any insight on what it cost/took to fix theirs?

Thanks
  • I highly doubt the mechanic is going to "fix" the shifter cable, I am almost positive that he is going to "replace" it. Most faulty parts now are just replaced and not fixed as the old days, and I am truly sorry if I offend a mechanic out there, but most mechanics are not really mechanics like before they are technicians that replace parts.

In anyway, here is the Ford part number and price.

Part# YL8Z-7E395-BA
    List $64.99

2-Hour Labor at $85.00 (average) = $170.00

Part - $64.99
    Labor - $170.00

Total - $234.99

I think your are getting overcharged.
  • racenutracenut Posts: 10
    same problem on my 2001 tribute . On the drivers side under the hood you can look down and see the shift lever that is where the cable end is. if the cable came off the lever there all you have to do is reattach the cable to the lever end and what I used was a push nut to hold it in place cost about .05 cents time it took five minutes to repair.
  • Thanks just chatted with the mechanic and expressed my concerns at the price. He explained that the $396 included a transmission service also. I told him to hold off in doing that and just fix the cable for $301 - he says he repairs it by repairing the ends so the problem never happens again!!! seemed wierd to me, how do you repair a cable when it is broken? It's with Mr.Transmission.
  • How do you prevent it from coming off in future? i.e. permanently?
  • WOW! $301 to just fix the cable...how about replacing it since he is accessing it already and do his "magical" repair on the new cable for the same price.

I think your getting screwed on the price....just my $0.02
  • Maybe so - at least now I can drive it and get to the other problem i am having i.e. it idling badly and having shuttering problem when shifting from 3 to 4th gear.
  • We have an 02 tribute and a 01 escape, they both do that rumble strip thing. I was wondering if you found out what the problem was. I am scared that i am going to be out of some serious money soon. :cry:
  • The shuttering problem, I am having that in my 01 escape and my 02 tribute! Did you find out what it was? :confuse:
  • Change the transmission fluid, that seems to work. It should be changed every 30,000 miles or so.
  • wtdashwtdash Posts: 1
    Please go drive something else. A RAV4 or CRV, perhaps? Yes, they are more $$, but you'll get it back in RESALE. Check out Consumer Reports.
  • kgolkgol Posts: 1
    I recently hit an 8-point buck and this required a new radiator, fans etc. for my 2006 Ford Escape. They did a great job with the repairs but I have noticed that it seems like the radiator fans now run very loud. I can hear them above the engine and when they shut off while i idle or slow down. Is this normal in new fans or should I take it back? Any thoughts?