Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• We've had the same issue. In our case, it was the intake manifold gaskets. We had them replaced, and the spark plugs too, and then about 2 months later, we had the same problem (vehicle misfiring on 2 cylinders, running rough at idle) all over again. Took the vehicle to a different mechanic, and found out that the intake manifold gaskets were leaking AGAIN, and that one of the spark plugs was white (probably from the vehicle running too lean). Had to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced again, as well as one of the new spark plugs we'd just replaced. Hope this helps. If nothing else, it's something to consider. We even replaced the IAC and a few other emissions related parts thinking maybe those were the problem, but that wasn't it.
  • Up front, I will say that I have owned my 2005 Escape LTD for its entire life...and it's been a great vehicle. It's towed trailers, been there in the snow and ice of the Sierras, and I mean big snow and big ice...the kind that scares the hell out of you. (Even more than the LA freeway :-) It's taken my husband and I through the desert and all manner of weather, without a hitch. It now lives in New England. But it's age may be showing...or at least Ford's. I've posted on these boards: concerns over a Theft light and hesitation that many other owners have experienced, and with different Escape vintages that Ford themselves have created DTCs for as far back as 2007. I said that I would get back to chatters with whatever ensued. So here's the latest installment: I just today, 01-06-2010, trusting that a BBB's report was current, brought the aforementioned Escape to the dea-leur at the crack of dawn. (Well, for me 6:30 was the crack of dawn here in Conneckaticket!) And then Ford's bigger problem poured itself all over me--quality control. Actually, quality-out-of-control is more like it. Here's how it unravelled (as depicted in a letter I sent to the, ahum-m, Manager of the dealership, which shall remain nameless...oh what the heck. They're on Boston Road in Madison. There! That oughta do it. So here it is:

"Hi,

I'm certain that you receive all manner of reports, sent by customers. Consider this one more of a heads-up...something that will hopefully not reach the complaint stage. This morning, Wednesday, the 6th of January, 2010, I came into your establishment for a service check--this the product of a problem that has suddenly reared its head in my vehicle. This was my first time at your dealership. I chose you because I'd read good things about your group, and frankly have checked you out on the BBB site. Here's an account of how its gone so far:

Arrived a bit ahead of my 8:30 appointment, which I confirmed online. Followed the signs where they led me, which turned out to be wrong--was told to speak with person at front desk. Returned to front desk, and person there, who seemed unduly nervous, began the process of checking me in, entering whatever into her database--the usual. The only thing that wasn't "the usual," was the curt demeanor with which she asked her questions and answered mine. And when I was asked for the very same information I'd already entered into the online form, like VIN#, etcetera, and also issued the natural--and politely put--question "Haven't you received the online form I filled out yesterday?", she got unnecessarily short with me--as if annoyed. I went out to get the Registration, returned, and the atmosphere disintegrated from there, but not to the argumentative stage because I avoided it. (Pat myself on the back!) We got it all sorted out, but I think the pall of friction that hit me when I first entered that room is something that you should be apprised of.

The girl at the front desk may have been stressed because of the man sitting just behind her at the second desk. The fellow was on edge. The few questions the girl asked him were answered abruptly with unnecessary edginess--almost as if he were trying to get into it with someone. He even acted this way with another customer whom he spoke with. In my case, I simply asked about the process that was clearly explained on the Ford website and then on the form I filled out online--about what would happen, and how I would be speaking with a rep/mechanic or whomever. Frankly, I have done so much research on the problem I'm experiencing with my vehicle that, thanks to the contributors in various chatrooms, I might have lent someone insight--it's a problem that many are talking about on the net on various Websites.

I had also spoken to someone there at your dealership and pre-ordered a rental vehicle, on January 5th, in anticipation of at least a day's time being needed by the mechanics--in retrospect, thinking about it, I believe that the gruff person at the second desk may very well have been the person I spoke with. But after my asking for my vehicle, he not only claimed to "not know" anything about the reservation but also not even know if there were any vehicles available. We eventually sorted it all out. But the gruff person's parting phrase "someone will drive your vehicle and call today" was somehow not very reassuring; not how the, quote, friendly verbiage on the website explained it would all go.

These are stressful times for many, but there is absolutely no need for rudeness, ill-manners and blanket-anger. Professionals don't do this sort of thing. If they do, their business doesn't make it over the long haul. And your claim, "After 26 years of serving the Connecticut shoreline, we know what works and what doesn't for both vehicles and customers," can't possibly be what was going through the minds of the people I dealt with this morning.

One other thing, the rental car I eventually took possession of was filthy--trash under both front seats, also four bottles hidden beneath a paper mat on the passenger side, dirty inside and dirtier out. I walked backed into the office and calmly let the girl know. She earlier made such a big thing of not smoking in the vehicles--I don't smoke, but the person who used the vehicle I've been given did...cigars!--that I thought she'd appreciate knowing just what kind of mess I found (and I will bring back to your dealership, you can bet on that). To accentuate the point, I carried in just one of the cups--the one left in the console cup holder--and handed to her, after first asking where I could dispose of it.

Thinking you've got some internal morale building to do,

XXXXXXXX-still waiting for a call from your mechanic-XXXXXXXXXX

Well, (this is not part of the letter, but my continuing missive to the chatters) I know this is not your usual Ford chat talk thingy, but, like I asked in the title: Ford had a banner year? How? And is this a B horror-movie? The outcome of this was: I got a call from the Manager. She reamed me non-stop for, like, 10 minutes on the phone. I asked if she'd really read the letter. She reamed me some more. I sat there amazed...so did my husband, who listened to the whole exchange. Manager said "Come get your vehicle, we think your personality will conflict with ours." I wedged a "Is Ford entering the Shrink phase of their business?" There was a lengthy pause on the Manager's end. (Which I doubt ever really happens.) I asked if she'd hung up? She began with the bullying diatribe. I broke the connection, went to pick up "Sir." (Yeah, it's anthropomorphization to the max! But he's clear coat black and beautiful! So "Sir" hit me right outa the shute.) And my dirty rent-a-car tab they picked up...as I'd suggested they should. I'm still on the hunt for a fix to the Escape's problem. I'll be back with whatever happens, hoping it helps some of you out there...and with less text this time:-)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    Yikes. Here's another place or two to post:

Get ratings & reviews on car dealers & repair shops in your neighborhood

Dealer Ratings and Reviews

btw, we frown on posting individual's names but posting the dealer name is ok.
  • Sure, what the heck: First, this doesn't have anything to with "stalling and hard to start". Has to do with what I, and hundreds of other people have said since 2007--backed up by Ford's very own TSB and DTC publications. It's a "hesitation accompanied by a Theft light...mostly at speed, but sometimes while simply pulling out of a parking space. And, second, this has nothing to do--at least in my case and hundreds of other 2005 Escape owners cases--with Ethanol, because most of us do not utilize Ethanol but in fact just old Regular gas (as Ford recommends...at least in my manual--issued by, of all people, FORD. Thirdly, whom do you work for...and please avoid the "20 yrs as a Master Mechanic stuff."

P.S. Sorry if I've hurt your feelings, but there's so much of this sciolist pap on the web, in the guise of true knowledge I mean, that it's an insult to thinking and caring people...of which you are obviously one...I mean.

P.S.S. There will not be any direct e-mails, as requested by the mediator/moderator of this chat room...and a darned good request that is...!
  • pjr4pjr4 Posts: 3
    ap124,
    I recently started having the same problem but it is more intermittent. It started happening in cold weather but I don’t know if that is a factor. Three times in the last 3 weeks the car will not start. It will not crank. The only sound is a relay contacting behind the dash board. In one case it started ten minutes later and was fine for about a week. When it happened a second time it would not start all day until the tow truck driver tried to start if several times. I brought it to the dealer, where I purchased the car, and left it for over a week where it was parked outside. It started every time they tried it. I took it back and used it for a week, it was fine in sub-20 degree temperatures and now it won’t start this morning. In addition I have been hearing a clicking noise behind the dash board when cursing in high gear. Have you had any luck resolving your problem? If so what did they find?
    Thanks!
    pjr4
    chrisadir0057,
    I recently started having the same problem but it is more intermittent. It started happening in cold weather but I don’t know if that is a factor. Three times in the last 3 weeks the car will not start. It will not crank. The only sound is a relay contacting behind the dash board. In one case it started ten minutes later and was fine for about a week. When it happened a second time it would not start all day until the tow truck driver tried to start if several times. I brought it to the dealer, where I purchased the car, and left it for over a week where it was parked outside. It started every time they tried it. I took it back and used it for a week, it was fine in sub-20 degree temperatures and now it won’t start this morning. In addition I have been hearing a clicking noise behind the dash board when cursing in high gear. Have you had any luck resolving your problem? If so what did they find?
    Thanks!
  • Automobile batteries only last 4-5 years. Problem usually shows up on cold morning with solenoid clicking and no start. Today's batteries give no warning like slow cranking. My son's 2005 Escape would not start yesterday morning and had solenoid clicking away. Went to Walmart and bought a new battery for $68 and solved problem.
  • at the started to go it died put it in park, started it up no problem put it in drive it died and i just put in a new engine
    having the same problem with my 2006 escape. Dealer has been no help. Have you resolved the problem?
  • Last week I took a tight corner in my 2003 Tribute and something metallic rolled across inside the dashboard. Then the airbag light came on. It was off and on intermittently for 3 days then it started flashing code 7-4 when the cars starts before it stays on. Might anyone know what that code means?
  • I have a 2003 Escape - same vehicle as the Tribute. I have the same issue that started over 1 year ago. I spoke with the Ford dealership and they advised I probably needed a new sensor. As I recall it started in the cold weather but who knows, it could have been a sharp turn as well. I choose not to fix it due to the potential cost. Soooo, the light remains on. The dealer advised the bag would not just inflate on it's own and it would probably work normally in a crash. But I don't intend to test that. Of course this does not answer your original question....
  • the oil light started flickering the other day when i was on a moderately steep grade and standing still in drive. checked oil and added half a quart. this has been the norm after about 2300 miles following an oil change due to a minor leak that appeared after about 80000 miles, don't know from where. light still flickers even though oil level is fine. sensor,pump, wiring.... any ideas?
  • I have a 2002 Tribute LX V6 that appears to have developed some electrical problems over the past few days. When I went to start it yesterday, the battery was dead and it needed to be jumped off. I had it jumped off and drove it to work and turned off the engine. When the engine was turned off, all electrical appears to die (including the odometer and PRND321 which is always on) and the car has to be locked manually. I did not think anything of it as the battery is as old as the car. Jumped it off again and drove home and it actually started again, although it did take awhile. Fast froward to this evening- the car has been sitting for 24 hours and was started without having to be jumped off, but the electrical system is still dead unless the car is running. We took the car in and had the battery replaced tonight, but the electrical system is still dead. Please note that the interior lights and radio are also not functioning when the car is running and the gauges are still "sweeping" once every time the car is started as if it is doing some type of self-test. The mechanic suggested that perhaps there is something wrong with the computer or electrical system. The car currently has 117k miles on it and has had issues with the airbag light since day one, but has really only had the fuel pump replaced as far as repairs. I find it strange that the electrical system is dead once the car is off but will function when the car is one. Please note that the before mentioned radio and interior lights do not function regardless of the ignition position.

Has anyone else ever seen/had this problem?? I checked the radio fuse and it appears to be fine, but have not had a chance to check any other fuses.
  • It could be the GEM (General Electronics Module) that controls pretty much all the electrical functions of the vehicle. Perhaps, the dead battery and jumping it made it go haywire.
  • Thanks. Do you think this is a difficult and expensive problem to remedy?
  • Before you go and make the expense I would get it diagnosed by a Mazda or Ford dealer. However, if it is the GEM here are the part number/s and retail price.

3L8Z-14B205-AA (w/Keyless Entry) $355.02
    YL8Z-14B205-EA (w/o Keyless Entry) $318.76

This is a plug and go module so there is no need for dealer to program. This module should be in the engine bay area around the Fuse Box area and it will be a square module with a couple connectors coming out the side.

Good Luck!
  • Thanks for the advice! I finally had some more time to look in the owners manual and check more of the fuses since the rain and snow stopped. It turned out to only be a fuse and now everything is working as it should be.

Thanks again!
  • I read your complaint. Rest assure you are not the only on suffering. I have a 2006...I had the same problem.....I had to left my engine block, remove the oil found in the holders for the spark plugs.....also replaced Major Catalic Converter connected to the engine...replaced drive shaft twice.....replace the device, a major component that keeps the oil from leaking underneath the car.....complete sensor overhaul...6 engine sensors replaced because the keep going out...engine comes on and off continously....tie end rods rear need replacing...Transmission rebuilt $1500....went out without warning....just would not go....everything that I have mentioned occurred from 2008 until now....with another $2000 needed in repairs.....talk about a lemon...but, since I have certified mechanics repair my vehicle....I will not qualify for the lemon....but, I still owe on my vehicle.....just to inform you of what is to come next...good luck...try the Lemon Law, because your vehicle will endure these issue....
  • My 2006 ford escape has 37,000 miles. While braking I heard a loud roaring sound coming from the back right tire/brake. I immediately drove to local repair shop and the car did not make the noise while they were testing it.... now the roaring grinding sound is back and louder than before, roars when braking, turning and a slight grinding sound while driving. What could be the problem and why does it make the sound and then stop for two months and now making the sound again? Suggestions? Car does not pull while braking. :cry:
  • Circumstances left the car sitting for about 5 months in NYC (so through the winter). I've just replaced the battery. It cranks, but it's not firing. What can I check/usual suspects, without having to tow it to a shop to resolve? thx for any input.