Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    The newest TSB (02-11-06) does make a big difference in the way the PCM handles rpm levels and transmission shifts.

Again, I am not going to say that this is the end all fix all for stalling, but it has to be very close if it really is not. We've only stalled once, but I used to be able to get the tach to drop well below 500 rpm before they flashed the PCM this past week. Now I can't get it to drop below 600. The idle rpm is also higher when you are coasting (about 900-1000) and doesn't drop back down to the base 750 until you are just about at a complete stop. It's now a nice slow steady decline that stops at 750.

If I were you, I'd get it done and see what happens first. Especially if you really like the vehicle.
  • eld1eld1 Posts: 10
    My 2001 Ford Escape has stalled 7 times since September 01 (downhill at 40 mph - first stall around 13,000 miles). I have 26,000 miles on the car and have been fighting with Ford since April. It was not accepted by my state as a Lemon because I did not notify Ford in time and the mileage exceeded the limit.

I received a call from Ford last week just prior to a my scheduled Dispute Board Hearing. Ford offered a replacement or a refund (partial). I chose the refund. I am just baffled while after reading this forum, anyone would accept another Escape.

On my way to work 2 weeks ago I noticed an Escape pulled over to the side with the hazards on. I pulled over ran back to the Escape. The woman proceeded to tell me the car had just died on her --- it only had 197 miles on it! I gave her this address and faxed her a copy of the TSB that was recently posted.

I'm finished, but I want to thank everyone who posted. With the TSB's I was armed with knowledge and able to get through the "stone walls" at the 3 dealership service departments I used. My personal experience with the 800 Ford number was terrible thus another reason not to accept the replacement and return to Ford for an Explorer.

Good luck to everyone who is watching the dash instead of the road!
  • vmatevmate Posts: 1
    I was glad to find this discussion board and find I'm not crazy! The Tribute has a stall problem. My dealer says they have never seen the problem and that there are no service bulletins from Mazda. Yah right. This is the 3rd stall and it's not funny. Try and brake a fully loaded SUV with no power brakes or powers assist !

OK...does any body have the answer to what the problem is ?

My SUV is at the dealer waiting to see what part they might change now ! I'll keep this message board updated on the problem.

If anybody has a solution please let me know.
  • eld1eld1 Posts: 10
    The latest Ford stalling "fix" calls for reprogramming the PCM. My 2001 Escape was reprogrammed in Mid-April, it stalled again at the end of June about 2000 miles later.

Refund check is due to arrive from Ford in 30 days. I pick up my new car (NOT A FORD) tomorrow night.
    2001's need to have the PCM replaced AND reprogrammed. The latest TSB that was issued in May (updated with some PCM calibrations in June) states this very clearly. You're service dept. screwed up. Your PCM was never reprogrammed because it couldn't be. If they just replaced it, you still had the old calibrations too.

I had the PCM reprogram from the June TSB done a couple of weeks ago. There are many noticable differences in engine and transmission performance. So far all have been for the better. The most notable is that the tach will not drop below 550 rpms at any time now.
  • Hi,

my wife owns an 01 Tribute with 23,000 miles. In the past week the battery and cooling idiot lights are coming on and staying lit. Both the battery and cooling levels check out OK. Anyone experience a similiar problem? Any solutions?

Thanks
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Posts: 149
    Yes,
    If it is a 2001 with only 23,000 miles, it is still under WARRANTY. Take it back to the dealer.
  • I have a 2001 Escape with 42000 miles on it and the coolant light and now the check engine lights have been coming on and staying on. The coolant is fine, but I am bringing it in to the dealer to see if it is a sensor. I love this vehicle, but all the problems have been very unnecessary and frustrating.
  • jetfly65jetfly65 Posts: 1
    My Tribute has been great except for a few minor problems.

I have had 2 incidents where the idiot lights came on and stayed on. The dealership replace the sensors both times.

My recent problem has been a hissing air noise whenever I take my foot off the brake pedal. I took it into the dealership and they said that this is a normal sound for this braking system (even though it never made this noise the first year of ownership). They also said that they checked new models on the lot and they also make the same noise.

Does anyone else have this problems?
  • cbuswell1cbuswell1 Posts: 3
    I purchased a Ford Escape on 6/28/02. The vehicle stalled on me on 7/1. I had the vehicle towed back to the dealer, not knowing what the problem was. They could not duplicate the event. I had been driving about 40 mph, on a decline, power steering and brakes became disfunctional. Upon coming to a stop, it appeared to me the vehicle had stalled. The dealer replaced an IAC valve. The problem occurred again, under nearly the same circumstances on 7/8. The vehicle is returning to the dealership today. I did notice on 7/8 that when I took my foot off of the accelerator, the RPM's dropped to about 500. Appears this is a common problem. Has anyone had this same problem with a successful outcome? Please let me know.
    Thank you!
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    This is not a "common problem". There are some who want to make it look like a common problem.... There is a TSB or two for this issue. Please scroll back. A Tech from Mazda posted these TSB's. PCM reprogram, idle may be to low and not go to below 680RPMS..
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Scape2 - Do car companies normally issue TSBs for problems that are uncommon?

Cbuswell1 - Scape2 is correct about looking back several posts. This link should take you to a post with the TSB information.

varmint,
    I believe that they do. From what I understand, it only takes one or two instances of the same problem for a TSB to be issued. Most of them even start off by saying "Some YYYY model "insert vehicle name here" may experience.... They are basically a pre-WWW form of a bulletin board.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Sounds like a faulty brake booster. The hissing is a vacuum leak around the pushrod shaft. Did you verify that new cars on the lot had the same issue? I'd go back or check with another dealer.
  • kirkland3kirkland3 Posts: 2
    My 2001 Tribute has 52000 miles, which puts it right past the warranty period...and it stalled 12 times between Friday, when it started and Saturday, when I got it to the dealer. They charged me handsomely for labor and a part they installed. The rpms are still very low and drop sporadically...I had it "fixed" 2 weeks ago.
    I only found this message board because someone else told me about it when she started looking to buy a new vehicle. Since the Mazda dealership told me they didn't know what I was talking about, I am very angry. There is no way that all of us are having the same problems and they don't know. I am even angrier that they charged me for the parts and labor for a design flaw. My mileage is high because I travel a lot, which is why I need a dependable vehicle...Mazda just lost a customer I'm afraid.
  • astorey1astorey1 Posts: 41
    I am seriously considering buying a Tribute in the next month or so. I've read some pretty bad stories(and some good ones) about the 2002 models. Has anyone had any serious problems with the 2002 models?
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Remember a few things about the things you read here...

1. People who are unhappy ALWAYS complain (for good reason, sometimes) whereas very few who are happy tell everyone.

2. Ford/Mazda have sold hundreds of thousands of vehicles. By far the best selling vheicle in it's class. If it was as bad as this board implies the sales would not be there.

3. The huge majority of issues were on the first year vehicle only.
    What fool buys a first year product of anything? My daddy taught me that lesson early in life!!

4. Some of the posters here don't even own an Escape/Tribute and are talking about third and fourth hand experience and theiories.

So...that said. Do your homework and buy the vehicle you like the best for you. If it's the Escape or Tribute go for it...Neither vehicle is a big service problem and the level of customer satisfaction with the Escape/Tribute at both our Ford stores and both Mazda stores is quite high. Higher than some "percieved" better products!!!
    Well said audi8q.

astorey,
    You can have problems with any vehicle that you buy, so buy the one you like the best.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    What fool buys a first year product of anything?

It occurs to me that were it not for those "fools" there would not be a second year product! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Also well said.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The fools feed your family...and mine.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I had to toss something in to rev up everyone...haha
  • tbaytbay Posts: 22
    But some makes are on the ball from the word go and others still have not sorted out problems several years into a production run
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    Sorry to see you had some problems.
    What you described is not anything like what others have described. This would lead me to believe the cause for your failure is different than the 'stalling issue' that has been reported here.

Main differences are:
    -no such symptom in the first 50k miles. Most folks see the problem much earlier in the vehicles life.
    -that many occurances that quickly in a row.
    -not related to going down hill
    -most folks can correlate the stall to the same stretch of road.

What did the dealership replace? Do you know if there any codes generated and stored in the computer? (when the 'stalling issue' occurs, one symptom is that there are no codes stored).
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 134
    I just got my 2002 Tribute ES this week. The 0% financing helped my decision.

I find I'm having trouble getting comfortable in the leather seat. The seat is OK, it is the back that is bothering me, the upper portion. Has anyone else experienced a break-in period with these seats? I bought a bottle of Lexol Leather Conditioner and applied it, it seems to have helped. I will apply it a few more times to see if it makes the leather softer.

We have a Volvo S60, and the leather in that is much more soft and supple. I know, it also costs $10k more than the Tribute.

Norm
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Posts: 149
    NORMKOL,
    Don't forget, the back of the drivers seat has an adjustable lumbar support. Have you tried to adjust same?
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 134
    Yes, I adjusted that. That seems to adjust the bottom of the seatback. My problem has been the upper portion.

I'm getting used to it. Actually, I get back pain, and I think these seats are probably going to be good for my back in the long run.

Thanks.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Audia8q - Points well taken. However, how is any of that different from the other vehicles on the market?

Are happy Ford/Mazda customers somehow quieter than happy customers for other makes?

Is there a vehicle out there that has not had first year issues?

Is there a forum on these boards that does not have participants from other makes/models?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Is there a forum on these boards that does not have participants from other makes/ models?

Probably not but prospective owners coming from other brands are encouraged to join the discussion.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    We can mention to Karen that there's interest in a Tribute and/or Escape Owner's Club....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.