Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    HI ALL,

I HAVE MY TRIBUTE ABOUT 2 WEEKS NOW AND SO FAR IM VERY PLEASED(A LITTLE OVER 1000 MILES) SO FAR NO SMELL OF GAS,NO RATTLES OR VIBRATIONS,NO STALLING. ITS QUICK AND LITHE.. GAS MILAGE ISNT GREAT.. BUT I HAVE A MERCEDES C240 THAT GETS THE SAME MILAGE BUT ON PREMIUM GAS... GUESS WHICH CAR COSTS LESS TO OPERATE?
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Congrats on your new purchase. Your Mazda will do just fine. I have a 2001 Escape V6 4wd with just about 16,000 miles with no problems.. wait, I did have some squeaking in the rear tailgate/glass area, fixed myslef, I also lost my subwoofer 1 in my Mach 6 stero system. Type in Ford Escape and you will find other chat rooms with Escape owners. There is one inparticular where there is over 4,300 members and less than 1% have had this stalling problem or any other problem that may have forced them to trade or use a lemon law... Search the net the information flows..... These are quick SUVs. I like to merge and hit the gas at about 50mph, throws you back pretty good...
  • Unless on absolutely flat road serface, constant squeak. 16,000 miles on vehicle. How fix? Or take in on warrenty? Also pulls left after dealership wheel rotation and alignment. Take in on warrenty?

Thanks,
    Don
  • My new 2002 Escape has stalled twice since I got it in July. This is a very dangerous problem when it happens to you. I am surprised no one has been injured or killed yet. The dealer said the ground wire was loose the first time. I do not beleive this after it has happened again. I don't beleive this is being blown out of proportion by those it happening to. We will see if it gets fixed this time. I will file a NHTSA complaint the next time if I am still alive.
  • The Phantom just struck again, above!
  • bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    OH OH Get after him , he's bad.
  • I hope you have a better outcome than I did. The dealer attributed the stalling first to a relay part, then a need for a computer reprogramming, then a defective idle bypass part among other items. I got the feeling they didn't really know. You are right that it is a dangerous problem - going 40+ MPH and losing power is not a pleasant experience. I was very lucky to be at places where I could get the car to a safe area each time it happened. However, I didn't want to press my luck one more time.

I tried to trade the car in at the dealer where I purchased it for another Ford vehicle - he offered me a price that amounted to 40% depreciation on the Escape in less than a year. Doesn't say much for the Ford Escape holding its value - although I believe the real issue was the dealer didn't want the car due to the number of stalling problems.

FYI - A friend of mine just purchased a Mercury model. While going over the lemon law disclosures, he told the salesperson a friend of his had problems with a Ford model. Completely unprompted, the salesperson said "it must be an Escape - there are issues with that car."
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    There is NO Mercury model... perhapse you meant the Mazda model?

Odie
  • This person is a lurker on this board who tries to minimize the seriousness and danger of any Escape problems, especially the stalling problem.

I would say he/she probably is paid by Ford as another of their dirty tactics to try and protect themselves from lawsuits. Has anyone seen the Ford Focus records - more recalls than any other car, ever, anywhere. Name a Ford product and it will have a dangerous condition.

I would imagine Scape2 is really more than one person - Ford probably has minions out there to try and to damage control.

Murphy (the owner of a stalling Escape and soon to be owner of anything but a Ford)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Let's stick to the topic. Individual TH members are not suitable topics for discussion.

Incidentally, a lurker is one who looks but does not participate. Obviously, someone posting messages here does not qualify as a lurker.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    "Has anyone seen the Ford Focus records - more recalls than any other car, ever, anywhere."

The BMW X5 has had more recalls, and it costs about 4X what the Focus does. The X5 has had at least 14-15 (10 of them were issued last year), and the Focus has had 12 that I could find.

I'm betting that there have been other's too.
  • Sorry I wasn't clear on the "Mercury model". My friend and his wife bought a Mercury Mountaineer (that's what I meant about Mercury model) - the Mercury salesperson who sold him the Mountaineer was the one who told him Ford was having issues with the Escape.

I certainly wish I had read this Town Hall Board before I purchased the Escape - had no idea about the stalling problems until it happened to me for the first time around 4 months after I bought the car.

Audia8Q (Post 1648) - would appreciate if you would provide the list of vehicles with more stalling problems than the Escape - I do not want to make the same mistake twice.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    I feel the need to speak up on Scape's behalf. Certainly he is not a lurker. Neither is he a mole, a troll, or a corporate shill. Scape is exactly as he appears: an Escape enthusiast with a large emotional investment in his vehicle.

Certainly, if he were on Ford's payroll, he would be much more subtle and less abrasive. By the way, IMHO Scape is the one person most responsible for maintaining a lively disscussion on many of the small SUV boards.

-james
  • Hi,
    I'm getting 17 to 21 mpg in mixed traffic. 2002 4x4 ES model. It has 13K miles on it. I've heard someone was getting much more than this.
    Can you tell me what is yours please.
    Thanks!
    I too must stick up for scape. Just because a person is defending the type of vehicle he/she drives doesn't make them a bad person. (Look at all the people who defent Jeff Gordon when he puts somebody into the wall on purpose.) All I'm saying is that it is a public forum, and gives you the right to your opinion (as long as it's clean and not offensive). I have not had any problems with my escape. But I just may be one of a few lucky little fish in the big pond.

Firstov: I'm getting about 26-27 mpg around town, and about 27-28 highway.(2001 Escape XLT 4x4 w/ V-6) But I also added a Tornado ($74 after pa sales tax)(which steve or tidester will probally post their link to) but IMO the device works.

Odie
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    firstov,
    A lot of us have been able to get about 24-25 on the highway (even with the A/C on) without any tricks. 17-21 sounds about right for mixed driving.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    I feel the need to speak up on behalf of Ford. No company would willing pay money for the posts in question.
  • I can see why someone would think he works for Ford. I mean, look at the great length he goes to defend a product that obviously has serious problems. Why does he care THAT much.
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    I would assume he merely likes to counter mis-information spread by folks like yourself.. ('obviously has serious problems').

What is your motivation?
    Why does he care THAT much.

Everyone here is an enthusiast. There are degrees of enthusiasm. Just realize some may be more enthusiastic than you.

Personally, I've enjoyed the give and take on this board but I do not enjoy seeing the discussion focus exclusively on any particular member. Let's discuss the vehicles and leave it at that.

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
  • bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    I'm sorry but I need to post my opinion before moving on. I don't understand why when someone has had no problems why they would visit a discussion group for problems. I'm not saying he can't, but why slam someone who does have a problem is beyond me. This member has been bashing anyone who has anything remote to say about the stalling issue. This discussion group is for problems and people should be able to come here to ask advice, find out if any problems exist with other vehicles of the same model, and not me subjected to the bashing by certain members who wish only to harass others. You know one time I stated my piece, but was warned not to speak with such a tone again, the post was cut. It might happen again, but I had to say what I did.
    I understand your sentiments and you made your case well. IMO, the proper solution is not to turn the discussion into one about the individual. Rather, we can all choose to not participate in those specific threads and focus instead on the topic at hand.

If I have a problem with my vehicle and someone who hasn't seen my vehicle insists from a distant location that I do not have a problem with it then those preposterous claims simply don't deserve my time and attention.

tidester
    Host
  • Odie,
    pl post a url for that device that you got. Did it affect the car horse power?
    Does it make sense to put better gas (or better brand) ??
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,764
    We could use some new posts in the The accessories to improve mileage and extend engine life discussion.

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

besides for the one steve posted for here..you can goto http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com

But I bought mine at a local Napa that sells them (didn't have to pay the hefty $10 shipping)

Odie

• bessbess Posts: 972
    Your statement should also be shown in the reverse. (so as to apply to everyone)

If I have NO problems with my vehicle and someone who hasn't seen my vehicle insists from a distant location that I (and all Escapes) DO have a problem then those preposterous claims also don't deserve my time and attention.
    I agree!

tidester
    Host
    I know at times I get a bit heated up in these forums. I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings or disrespect anyone. I will however challenge anyones misinformation about the Escape/Tribute. I am not a Ford salesperson, nor a Ford "mole". I am simply a person who owns an Escape that I am very satisfied with. I am also confident that the Escape/Tribute are reliable vehicles. I have checked around the net and have visited other sites/chat rooms ect and see that the majority of people are satisfied Escape/Tribute owners.
    Granted, there are going to be lemons in EVERY car make/model. I hope those of you in this room that have real problems will get them fixed in a timely manner by Ford.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    well. I cant imagine that every person that buys an escape or tribute knows about this forum....and I will assume the vast majority of owners that are happy would never even BOTHER spending the time to come her and say theyre happy... kind like tv news... people love to hear about controversy..not "non issues"... I have no problem at all, being an observer of human nature..accepting the premis that the vast majority of tributes/escapes are reasonably hassle free.
    scroll back and count how many are duplicates, how many are Ford bashers.. Not to even include how many may and may not even be true...
    Yes, I do visit this forum and will continue to peek in once in a while. Just as the Ford bashers do, as the rumor spreaders do, just as the people who spread misinformation do.