Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cra711cra711 Posts: 2
    To message #2097... new tires put on 100 miles ago and the noise was already there. Made an appointment at the dealer and she goes in tomorrow to get that rattle checked out. I will mention the tie rod ends to them, for I mentioned stableizer bar. THANKS for your help!
  • 02whttrib02whttrib Posts: 39
    I am so happy that some of you are having a great experience with "any" vehicle. This however has not been the case with me and my Tribute. If any of you read these threads completely you will see person after person reporting the same problems. Go to Escape-central.com and read the horror stories. Dedicated, loving Escape/Trib owners have been let down by the product and the dealerships.

This has been my bad experience. Mazda has chosen to ignore me. It makes me feel really good to tell others of my experience and inform ppl of what a sorry company Forzda is. And I tell anyone who listens to avoid Mazda. YMMV!

My Tribute was purchased 1/02 while my Lexus was purchased 3/03. I was having the Trib problems long before I purchased the Lexus. And yes Lexus has spoiled and pampered me so that I am sure I'll be a buyer for life now. When the Lexus rolled off the dealer's lot new, it was perfect, quality control was 1st rate. My Trib went back after 3 weeks of new purchase with 3 pages of problems. Most of which still haunt me.

Ford could learn a lot from Lexus!!

Ray
  • jdh1965jdh1965 Posts: 4
    Cant get the antenna to go down on my V6. Is it supposed to be electric..in which case mine is broken. If its not electric...then how is it done-it seems to be threaded...does it screw back in or what?
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    The U.S. Escapes do not have power antennae so you might have a hard time finding an answer to that one around here.

Is there a toggle switch for it maybe?
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    when did that become an option...LOL (j/k)

The antenna is threaded for less wind resistance.
    There is NO power antenna on the escape unless you had it put on aftermarket.

Hope this helps

Odie
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    It's "wrapped" for less wind resistance, and likely "threaded" at the junction with the bonnet <g> so you can take it off at the car wash, etc. Here's the real buzzword:

ateixeira "Honda CR-V" Apr 28, 2003 4:41pm

Can an owner confirm that the antenna unscrews at the base, like most seem to?

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    it does unscrew at the base.

Odie
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    can also swing the other way too. Toyota and Honda have had thier problems/recalls in the past. Get out on the net and you will find plenty of peeved off Toyota/Honda/Nissan owners out here too! I base my purchase on pure 80 years of family experience with Ford/Mercury products, 15 years worth of my own. I purchased my Escape in late 01. I waited intentionally because of the initial recalls. I have just over 26,000 trouble free miles on mine.
    With all the hoopla about how unreliable these vehicles are last year I did a non-scientific poll. I made it a point to stop and talk to other owners of Tribs and Escapes. I spoke with over 20 owners of all types of styles/models/trim levels ect.. and not one had any horrific failures. Granted there were small problems but not any to persuade people to dump thier Trib or Escape.. Anyone see the review on the Honda Pilot by Edmunds??? Take a look.. My point nailed on the head.
  • alwaysedalwaysed Posts: 55
    While at my dealer, I asked the service advisor about the excess travel and spongy feel of the brake pedal of my new ES. His response was similiar to that reported by vinnyny(Post 2093). However, he went on to say that the Tributes have "soft rotors" and if an owner tried to use harder pads to avoid dusting, it would chew up the rotors even faster than normal. I asked what was the life expectency of the rotors; he was non-committal.
    Has anyone experienced premature rotor life?
  • jdh1965jdh1965 Posts: 4
    Thanks folks. Thats answered my question.
    I'd just like to add that my Escape (badged Ford Maverick over here) is a very fine vehicle. I have had it about a month and already done some long trips. I cant fault it. Power, comfort, high spec, command driving position....everything. I have had many cars over the last few years and none have satisfied like this. As for reliability...lets wait and see. cheers for now
    jdh1965: You are probably aware of this, but here in the States, the Maverick was a 70 or 80s Ford compact whose claim to fame was its exploding fuel tank when gently bumped from behind. It was the inspiration for the song, " You light up my life." Hope you enjoy your new Maverick. My Tribute is 2 weeks old and I feel the same as you.
    My brakes are needing replacement. Mazda dealer quoted me $159.00 EACH for rotors. I need both. Pads $98.00. Labor $200.00. That's a lot for a 34,000 mile vehicle. The earliest I have ever had to put pads on a vehicle is 60k and honestly I have never had to replace rotors. This is another ploy for Mazda/Ford to rip us off.

There are lots of "opinions" out there re any vehicle. You can't please everyone and I realize that, but at least acknowledge me that I am having problems. Do you think the hoopla of how unreliable these cars are is lies? 20 people out of say 90,000 is very unscientific.

I certainly invite anyone to come view/drive/inspect my Tribute and see what you think. I'll be glad to discuss the "few" warranty claims that have been attempted and let you look over my paperwork/maintenance receipts.

The foreign bias you have here should be eliminated from this chat, it's very obvious. The Japanese big 3 don't have the best dealership service either. But their products will outlast anything Ford makes.

I still stand on my soapbox and say, The Mazda Tribute is a piece of junk unworthy of your hard earned dollar!

Ray
    "I need both. Pads $98.00. Labor $200.00. That's a lot for a 34,000 mile vehicle."

I feel you pain. We had to do the same thing on our Civic at about 22,000 miles.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Alwaysed - Actually, that was the Pinto.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    you had a civic that needed replacement ROTORS at 22K??? I must admit that is the first time I have ever heard of that in a civic. In fact, I would think you would have a decent case for warranty work in that case - rotors are not the type of wear item that should be exempted from the b-to-b warranty.

02whttrib: had you had them turned (resurfaced) more than once already before replacement?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

"you had a civic that needed replacement ROTORS at 22K???"

Yep. We're on the third set of pads at 54,000 miles too.

"In fact, I would think you would have a decent case for warranty work in that case"

Not according to Honda at the time. My wife is rough on brakes, but not that rough. The hills around here just add to the problem.

"I must admit that is the first time I have ever heard of that in a civic."

It's not all that common, but I have seen it on various Civic boards.

I'm not so sure that the rear brakes are doing their job as they are still fine according to PA's inspection program. That may add to the problem as well.
    Brakes are a wearable item. Brake replacement depends on how the vehicle is driven. How does a brake job make a vehicle a piece of junk?? Ever look at how much better your Mazda Tribute comes to a stop when comparing other vehicles in this class? Ford/Mazda have chosen to use "soft" brake pads making braking distances shorter. and another reason for all the doggone brake dust. Try a raybestos brake pad.. And don't go to a car dealership for brakes.. if you do you a making a huge financial mistake...
    varmint: You are right, I stand corrected
    Honda are well known for having warped rotors at a young age. I've had 3 Accords since 1976 and all have had warped rotors.

We should not use Honda as brake system benchmark.
    A turd is still a turd even though it looks like a candy bar. Enough said!

Ray
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    We might have found a better way of expressing that sentiment.

tidester, host
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    I'm not disputing that you ended up with a vehicle that had problems. Every manufacturer ends up with a few vehicles that come off of the assembly line that experience problems. It also sounds like you also ended up with a poor dealership as well.

If I were in your shoes, I also would avoid the brand as well. I think thats the way it 'should' be. If a brand gives you problems, switch brands. I also believe the reverse is true too. If a brand has always been good to you, and they have a vehicle that fits your needs/wants, look towards that brand again.

When your in your Lexus at a stoplight next to a Tribute, feel free to look over and smile because someone else is driving the Tribute and not you. It won't hurt their feelings.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    I own a 2001 V6 XLT 4WD with over 28,000 trouble free miles. Scape2 5/12/03

I have just over 26,000 trouble free miles on mine. - Scape2 6/14/03

Lots of driving in reverse? OR lots of hot air?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    OR lots of hot air?

OR how about a typo? Of course, YOU'RE immune from that! ;-)

tidester, host
  • domettgdomettg Posts: 55
    I have a 2003 Trib. with 300 miles and have noticed a high pitch squeak above 35 mph. It is not the brakes because if I step on the brakes, it doesn't change. Could it be a wheel bearing? Anyone else have this?
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    Just foolin around. It's a healthy little rivalry.
    I'm driving in reverse...
    How is that lawn mower engine doing in that CRV??
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A reporter is aiming to interview someone who recently bought a new Ford for less than $38,000 after either owning used cars or waiting a while to replace a paid-off car.
    Please send your response including Ford model and daytime contact info by Monday, June 30 to jfallon@edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tribstertribster Posts: 20
    Hello everyone... New here... I bought a new 2003 Tribute LX with Tow Package and other Goodies. It has 800 miles on it now in about a month. I need help from anybody who can offer it.

I had my first problem a couple of days ago. I started noticing oil under my car. It is engine oil for sure(not red in color). I looked under the car at the engine oil pain area, and sure enough it is leaking oil. There is a cavity located right where transmisson(i think) meets the oil pan. It has a very cheap looking piece of rubber covering another cavity. The leaking oil seems to be coming from one/two bolts located in the oil pan. Not sure if it is leaking from the engine side or the Pan side. I am very disappointed and very upset. only 800 miles and one month of use.

Has anyone else experienced such an oil leak problem? Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. I guess in my case, Ford forgot about "Quality is Job one".
  • rmhivrmhiv Posts: 1
    Well! I also have 34,000 miles. My Escape is in the shop right now and is getting front pads AND rotors! I complained to the dealer AND Ford. They say it's normal wear and tear.
    I DON'T THINK SO! - I even took the car in at 5,000 miles to log a complaint about the dust - just to provide a basis for what I knew was going to happen today. That was no help. Buyer beware - $429 for brakes at 34k miles!