Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chimpancychimpancy Posts: 1
    I've had the Ford Escape XLT for probably 5 months now..and my cd is stuck in the 6 cd changer. It won't load, or eject, or even play. It will only play the radio. Does anyone know the trick to this?? Thanks..
  • steven998steven998 Posts: 1
    I was going to buy a tribute knowing that they had a stalling problem in the past. I test drove the car I was thinking of buying. It pulled to the left while driving and when I was coming to a stop after driving for 10 minutes it stalled, ebgine light came one and wheel froze. I couldn't beleive this problem still exists. Built date was 5/02. I walked away will not buy a tribute now. too bad I really liked the design and power
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Yeah. The trick is spelled w-a-r-r-a-n-t-y.

Meade
  • nandlmdnandlmd Posts: 4
    My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a 2002 Escape XLT 4WD, but what do I need to ask the dealer to make sure that they have fixed the stalling problem? My wife will be using it to commute to work, and I want to make sure that they've done all they can to resolve the problem! Thanks for any advice (or any explanations what the TSBs mean in layman's English).
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I have owned a 2001 Escape for over a year now and have almost 13K miles on it with not one stall or problem. This stalling issue has gotten blown way out of proportion. Edmunds seems to be the only place where you see multiple posts about stalling issues. Please visit other chat rooms around the net and you will see, there are many, many happy Escape/Trib owners that have never had a stall. If you really like the Escape/Trib, buy a warranty.
    There is a TSB about this issue, its a few hundred posts back or so... Good luck..
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    "This stalling issue has gotten blown way out of proportion. Edmunds seems to be the only place where you see multiple posts about stalling issues." -scape2

Translated, this means stalling is not really a problem, because it hasn't happened to scape2.
    He seems to think that someone is coming onto edmunds under different log-in names and making trouble for Ford. So he blows off any stalling posts here.

Of course, that doesn't explain the TSB from Ford.

Maybe the TSB is a permanent fix for the older Escapes, and the newer ones are stall-free right out of the box. Let's hope so.
  • nandlmdnandlmd Posts: 4
    Can someone give me the link for the TSB? I found one for the Tribute, but I didn't see one for the Escape? Is there another link to it? If I walk into the dealership with this are they going to look at me like I have two heads?

And does the stalling thing only happen with an automatic or manual transmission?
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Posts: 219
    "If you really like the Escape/Trib, buy a warranty."

WHAT? You mean Ford has stopped offering factory warranties on their cars?
    OR do you mean Ford is requiring its owners to purchase an extended warranty because it cannot fix its problems while under factory warranty?

Just what do you mean, scape????

Oh my, lions, tigers and bears, oh my, lions, tigers and bears, oh my, lions, tigers and bears, oh my
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    nandlmd,
    The stalling only happens in the V6/Automatic equpped Escapes and Tributes (same engine and tranny in both). Ours is a 2002 that was built and bought in January. It stalled once in February, we had the TSB performed at the end of June and, to make a long story short, it seems they have the problem solved.

I do not know if they have implemented the PCM flash into the newer Escapes, but the full TSB can be found in posts 1492 through 1495. 02-11-06 from post 1495 is the one you want. It is essentially the same as the other one, just a little newer with a few technical updates for the service techs so you might have to tell them the number. They definitely should be able to find it without any problem. Read on from there if you want to learn a little more.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I now know 2 other people with Escapes and another that owns a Tribute. None of those people have had stalls either. And there are people who do loggon with different screen names here at Edmunds. If you would take the time and visit other chat rooms/Escape clubs you will see for youself the percentage of people with the stalling issue is very, very low.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I don't doubt your postings that there are 'thousands upon thousands' of happy Escape owners. I think there have been hundreds of thousands of the Escapes/Tributes sold.

I wonder how many have had the stalling problem.
    Hundreds upon hundreds? More? Less?
    You or I don't have access to the info.
    What did you mean by telling a poster to buy a warranty for the Escape/Tribute?

As for amount of stalling problems - just based on the number of people in this one forum that have reported this AND based on the fact that Ford has issued a TSB indicates to me that the number of stalled Escapes/Tributes is in the hundreds, if not thousands. If this is a rarity like scape wants people to believe, Ford would not have issued a TSB. Lets hope Ford gets this resolved, so new owners will not be stuck with large repair costs after the factory warranty is up. Or just take scape's advice and buy an extended warranty, hoping that will cover this situation.

Oh my ...
    It only takes one occurance of a problem for a TSB to be issued. That way if it happens again somewhere else, it can be fixed very easily.

No this stalling problem probably isn't as widespread as some people may think, but it is a strange one to say the least and I 99.9% believe that the latest TSB fixes it if you do experience it yourself.

You might notice that muckyduck does not own an Escape/Tribute and that he hails from Texas. It seems that the excessive heat down there makes him want to talk about things he knows nothing about.
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    It doesn't take hundreds of problems to get any manufacturer to put out a TSB, they all have engineers that look for recurring issues like this. It can be as few a 10-20 instances to generate one, especially if a potential safety issue is involved. I don't know if that is the case here, and I have no clue how many Escspes or Tributes have this problem, just giving an insider's insight to the process.
    I doubt any car company would issue a TSB on just one occurance. Texas heat - well, it is hot here, but 2 years ago, a Ford salesman told me not to consider buying an Escape for at least two years. Gee, the early models even had the steering wheel come off - its not like Ford has never built a car before (a paraphased quote from Edmunds).

Them lions, tigers and bears are lurking everywhere!
    Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas!
    It must be really really hot down there today!
    Steering wheels a'flying, engines a'stalling,
    whats next, take my escape and give me a brew ...

Sounds like a C&W song to me!!
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Granted, there was a problem with 1500 early production Escapes and Tributes having the steering wheel retaining nut installed incorrectly, but Toyota recalled over 200,000 Camrys with the same problem in 1997 that spanned over 5 model years. Recalls happen to every manufacturer, and none of them started building cars yesterday.
    OH NO - you don't mean Toyota has problems. OH NO - whats next?

The cow and spoon divorced, the three little pigs ate the wolf and the 7 drawfs were found to be cooking the books in their highly successful business of making poison apples.
    Don't waste your finger strength to type explanations for mucky's benefit. All of that has been explained to him several times on other boards but he just keeps finding new places to bash the Escape.

He is entitled to his opinion, no matter how little value it now holds with a lot of folks around these forums.

I think he really drives a late 80's Chevy pickup.