Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,259
    If you don't like Kia or Hyundai, I'll offer up Dodge as a good example of a company that turned its recent fortunes around with an extended warranty in its marketing quiver.

But to your point, their warranty costs have dropped 34% in three years, so they got the build quality under control at the same time they extended the factory warranty. (Forbes)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    "If you don't like Kia or Hyundai, I'll offer up Dodge as a good example of a company that turned its recent fortunes around with an extended warranty in its marketing quiver.

But to your point, their warranty costs have dropped 34% in three years, so they got the build quality under control at the same time they extended the factory warranty."

Build quality and warranty costs are not the same thing. Warranty costs can be artificially reduced by refusing claims and cutting labor pay to dealer technicians, among other ways.

A lot of companies are showing incredible decreases, in the 20s and 30s% in warranty costs over the past few years, modeling their new math after Ford's "streamlined" claims system. But the same companies are showing far less gains in quality or problems per vehicle during the same period. Huh???

If, over the past three years warranty costs and build quality have been moving Chrysler's favor, why was their market share at its lowest point late last year? And in the middle of the aggressive financing period/price cuts? Because a quality reputation is established over a long period of time. That article goes on to mention the hot selling new models recently introduced, like the 300C, Magnum, and Durango, and the reduced scrap rates in their plants (which is a better indicator of quality), as major contributors to their (very) recent market share increase. Certainly, an extended warranty will lure more buyers, but if a customer's decision is made based on a warranty, then doesn't that show how little faith he had in the product's quality to begin with?
        New model introductions always put a quick spike in manufacturer's earnings. But will Chrysler sustain quality improvements? Odds are they won't in the short term. New model intros are usually accompanied by teething problems that temporarily retard quality reports. My contention is that simply tripling base warranties will be a long-term disaster for companies that can't *greatly* improve and sustain their quality.
    Ok, but if Mitsu doesn't have the quality reputation to attract buyers, how will they get people to the dealer without some hook?

If they are making the most dependable cars in the world right now, it still will take a few years for the word of mouth and long-term reliability ratings to generate sales.

The highest warranty claims among auto makers right now is Ford (trying to stay a little topical!) with 2.5% of sales, according to that Warranty Week link. So if Mitsu can get sales going again with the Hyundai style warranty, and keep their claims rate down (the norm is 1.9% for US manufacturers), then maybe they'll be in a lot better shape in three years than they were after three years of zero-zero-zero.

I really think that a 5/60 powertrain warranty should be norm these days whether it's an Escape or a CR-V.

Steve, Host

"Ok, but if Mitsu doesn't have the quality reputation to attract buyers, how will they get people to the dealer without some hook?

If they are making the most dependable cars in the world right now, it still will take a few years for the word of mouth and long-term reliability ratings to generate sales."

Im not saying they shouldnt try every angle to get people in, but if they cant fix their quality problems, the extended base warranties will indeed cost them more in the long run than a 3/36 warranty. Desperate times call for desperate measures, but Im sure thats what they thought at the start of the 0-0-0 campaign.

"I really think that a 5/60 powertrain warranty should be norm these days whether its an Escape or a CR-V."

If you're saying "should be" like "I sure would like for this to be so" then yeah I agree. Shoot, manufacturers "should" give us 10/100 warranties. But if Honda can sell a certain amount of cars and make a hefty profit, increasing their market share slightly each year, offering base warranties, why would they spend more on 5/60 warranties? Loyal Honda and Toyota buyers will return to replace their Camrys and Accords based on brand loyalty built on years of positive experience. That's where the money is in any business-repeat customers. When you have to spend all your profit on advertising and incentives trying to replace dissatisfied lost customers, you're right where Mitsu is now.
  • chuck1chchuck1ch Posts: 15
    2001 Tribute LX 45,000 miles.

Started getting light and dealer said it was the overflow tank. Had to order part, which they sent to me for self install. Two nuts, two hoses and one electrical connector. Done in 30 minutes, most of which was straining the coolant from the tank through a filter which caught alot of crud. Had coolant flushed at 40K. Thought the tank would be flushed too.
  • idleidle Posts: 8
    I don't have a stalling problem but after the recall my escape idles at 2200 rpm when I start it up, this happens even if the engine is warm. It quickly goes down to 750 rpm but the 2200 is too high when compared to the 1200 to 1400 rpm it reached when starting before the recall fix. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this. Ford tells me that 220 is normal.
    My Escape, after the recall idles at 2200 rpm when I start it up, this happens even if the engine is warm. It quickly goes down to 750 rpm but the 2200 is too high when compared to the 1200 to 1400 rpm it reached when starting before the recall. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this. Ford tells me that 220 is normal. The recall was to fix the deceleration stalling problem.
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    It can be corrected but you need to visit performance shops, the shops that sell chips and other hi tech things. They'll hook up handheld PC and overwrite idling speed.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Why there are two Escape/Tribute problem rooms? There is very little to no difference between an 04 and an 05. Not enough to warrant two rooms...
    And why is there no CRV problem room again??

Can you recommend a shop in the Toronto, Brampton area? Thanks for your suggestion.
    Sorry I can't, but if you google it, you can locate one. Look for places that are selling performance chips for Fords.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Why is this in the "Owners club" and not out where everyone can see this room?
    I'm not sure what you mean.

This discussion happens to be listed in SUVs and cross-listed in the Owner's Club, so it shows up in both lists. Any board related to the twins should turn up in any search of the Escape or Tribute. There are several ways to navigate around Town Hall, so you'll have to narrow it down if you have a specific problem.

Steve, Host

First step is to call the dealer service department and find out if 2200 is the correct cold idle for the reflash you received. That strategy may be intentional to prevent the stall sequence. If it's normal, then ask if there is a later-dated relash with a lower cold idle available. If not then I personally wouldn't worry about it, it won't hurt the car. A lot of pre-EEC cars were set to around 2,500 cold idle.
  • Just got an '05 Tribute and started having problems. I can start the car and at times the signal arrow lights are on solid and I can't shift from park to anything else. Also today, while I was driving, the signal lights came on again solid and the A/C and Air stopped working. When I turned on the signal to change lanes, the problem resolved.

This has been happening all week and after several tries of turning the car on and off, the signal arrow lights will turn off and all is normal.

Please help!!
  • Could anyone tell me why I should buy one vs. the other? The tribute has a 2500 rebate and the escape only 1500 rebate (for 2005).
    They are basically the same vehicle, except Trib has longer warranty and may be very small details. Go with whichever you like...
  • maysmays Posts: 1
    my check engine light comes on and the check gas cap light comes on too i have replaced the gas cap and reset light now it is back on again
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience, and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    I had a similar problem with the lights on my '99 Explorer. I had one signal light on steady, the a/c fan wouldn't work above 3rd setting, one headlight was extremely dim, and when the fan was turned on the highest setting, headlights would turn on dim even without the switch. Turned out to be a wiring harness that melted near the a/c fan. Not sure if this problem would be the same as mine, but I'd almost say yours sounds like a computer glitch or something. All I can suggest is take it to your dealer, since you have plenty of warranty. Good luck.
  • 2001 Ford Escape
    About 20% of the time when starting, my Escape will start, but the speedometer, RPM needles go up to the max. The engine does not rev high. I give it 2-3 seconds and they come back down and I drive away. Some days it starts up with no problems. Other days I have to try 3 or 4 times to get it to start. Is something gradually going bad. I hate to take to dealership until I know what needs replacing.
  • I had same problem on my 2001 Ford Escape. It had to get Brake Booster replace. This is the cylinder behind your brake fluid that controls that vacuum that gives you Power Assisted Brakes.
    Very expensive . I think I paid $250 - 300 just for the Rebuilt part. The labor will add another 100.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Same thing happened to us on our former '02 Escape and a few others on a dedicated Escape forum. Turned out the battery was bad and had to be replaced. Ours was done under warranty because we only had about 6000 miles on it IIRC.

They did check everything out before replacing the battery, basically the whole electrical system because the battery power was well below spec, and all else was fine. After it was replaced our Escape ran better than the day we drove it off the lot leading me to believe the battery was bad from the beginning.
  • Thanks. I have had batteries go bad on other cars, but never with these symptoms. I will swap batteries and see if that solves it
  • Hey guys, I have had my 05 S Tribute for about 2500k, and for a while I have been hearing a noise (similar to when someone blows into a fan, or in other words a really fast puttering noise) ONLY when I have turned the steering to the maximum (or near maximum) it can go. This happens whether I turn the steering clockwise or anti-clockwise and it is particularly apparent at 25+ MPH (generally when I take an off-ramp). I want to take it to the dealer but I would love to have some idea as to the source of the problem before I go. Thanks so much!
    Have some one in the driver seat while you are looking at pulley in the engine compartment. Sounds like you may have defective pulley or loose belt causes pulley to make that noise...
  • philgphilg Posts: 1
    Hello,

I purchased my '02 Tribute in January '02... Which means it is still under warranty for another 3+ months. I have purchased several new vehicles over the years, and this one does not make the top of the most favored list. I would put most of the blame on Mazda and the Dealership. I had engine problems before I had 3000 miles on the vehicle, and the sunroof broke and had to be replaced, which the dealership took two months to complete. Now I am having transmission problems, brake problems, and even the radio is having problems. Perhaps my luck was bad and I happened across the worst in the barrel, but the dealership's, and Mazda's, help in correcting problems has been poor at best. I was willing to chalk it up to the dealership being a bunch of losers, but after contacting Mazda and getting no assistance, I have made up my mind never to buy another Mazda product again. My Mazda just went over 31,000 miles, and is considered low mileage, which should get me a good trade-in, about the only thing it has going for it...
  • what pulley are you talking about?? I am not that well versed in car repair so if you could elaborate somewhat it would be extremely appreciated!! thanks for the quick reply!
  • tdevanetdevane Posts: 35
    Mine is doing the exact same thing. It's driving me crazy. It's not all the time but enough to be annoying. I had my brake pads and rotors replaced recently so it can't be that. I took the truck back in but they didnt see anything wrong.