Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• caly58caly58 Posts: 2
    Not really an equal comparison, but I am torn between the two and thought I would ask for input from all the knowledgeable folks out here.
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    Got the call from my wife yesterday.
    'I was driving around 40mph, going around a bend, and then it felt like I lost the power steering went out and all the dash lights lit up'.

'dang, sounds like it stalled'

'No, I don't think so, I had to turn it off after I pulled over, I think the engine was still running when I did that'

'Where are you now'

'On the side of the road still'

'Did you try starting it back up?'

'Ok, yep, it runs fine now, make the call to service though'

Anyway, it started back up and she drove the rest of the day with no problems..
    Interesting parts:
    She really didn't think the vehicle stalled, her main concern was all of the dash lights and loss of power steering. When this occured she immediately started the process of pulling over. (she mentioned that the power braking was also not working). This is why she was in no hurry to try to restart the vehicle, because she didn't realize that the cause for all of her symptoms was a stall in the first place.

She said she had no problems pulling over or controlling the vehicle, she said without the power steering, the wheel fights back a little, but not even close to losing control.

I asked if she was going downhill, she said it was a very very slight downhill.

Appointment is scheduled today to have it looked at.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    bess,
    That's pretty much how my wife felt about it too. I was the passenger at the time of our stall so I knew exactly what it was and was able to tell her what to do right away. We were on a really steep winding side street hill at the time and she had no problem pulling over and stopping.

My wife was confused for a second too because everything was still on (radio, HVAC fan, etc.). If it wasn't for the dash lights, and the fact that she was braking, we never would have known the engine wasn't running. Maybe that explains some of your wife's confusion.
    (My summary)
    Checked a bunch of sensors, refered to TSB for stalling, replaced IAC, MAF, Throttle bdy assy, EVAP valve and reprogrammed PCM.

My check engine light also stayed on so for that they:
    Replaced DPF EGR sensor.

In at 8:00am out at 2:30pm.

========
    Baggs,
    Yeah, thats what I metioned to my wife (about all interior fans/radio/road noise still on) and thats when she said, well maybe it did stall..

In her previous experiences with vehicles stalling many many years ago (Olds cutlass and caprice classic's), you tend to notice when a 350cc V8 stops running.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    "you tend to notice when a 350cc V8 stops running."

Yes, I would think so!
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    These are really two different vehicles. I'm just curious how you can be torn between these two? Highlander is about $5-$8,000 dollars more than an Escape, depending on level of trim of course.. Not to even include space..
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    We have a 2001 Trib LX V6. My wife experienced a typical stall at 12,000 miles. Took it in, they "reprogramed it" & we have had no reoccurances.

Is this stalling a gender thing? Seems like the vast majority who experience are female. Do more females drive tribscapes or do the males not complain or what???

Other problems have included some leakage from the brake cylinder reservoir cap, brake warning light stayed on, and the tailgate creak. All fixed occured within the 1st 12 months & were easily fixed Current mileage is 23,000. The reports of tranny failures does worry me a bit
  • If I read everything that was to be read on here concerning wind noise, am I correct in assuming the mirrors were redesigned on Jan. 02' Escape models and later, and if you have an '02 model pre-January, you are stuck with the old style and excessive wind noise? Mind seems to start whistling around 40 mph, and by 80 mph, is quite substantial. It makes the tire roar seem minor. Is this common with all '01 and early '02 models?
    Has anyone looked into getting them replaced or cost involved?
    I never felt that the wind noise on the 01 Escape was that excessive. Is it possible that your roof rack is backwards? I've heard of others where this is the case. (I believe the roof rack cross slats are installed after delivery by the dealer).

Might be an easy thing to check (just as easy to remove the cross slats all together).
  • I have a 2001 Tribute that just turned 25,000 miles. Around 20,000 miles, I developed a vibration in the front end, along with a clunk sound when turning. Took it to the dealer and they checked the balance of the tires and repaired a leak in the steering. The vibration is still there. The vibration is most prominent at about 70 mph (more so on smooth pavement), and worsens while driving uphill at 70 mph. I also get a clank sound in the front when making sharp turns in parking lots. Anyone else with this problem and, if so, was your dealer able to diagnose and fix it?
  • We had an 88 Mazda 323 AWD with a button that locked the transfer (not to be used on drive pavements). Sometimes unknown to me the kids would activate it and when I drove on dry pavement with it locked - there would be clanking sounds on sharp turns and vibrations at high speeds. My apologies if you have already checked the obvious. I can't imagine driving 5000 mi with that sort of thing being the problem - but it's worth mentioning.
  • Did they check the power steering pump??? Our Escape went through 2 of em -- BTW --- my wife loves her EXPLORER and is so glad that Ford Lemon Lawed her Escape --- just feel sorry for the person that buys that at the buyback auction!!
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    the clicking in the steering is caused by loose lugs...go and have you lug nuts tightend and it should remidy the problem. from what the dealer told me was he prefers to tighten to 105lbs-ft of torque instead of the regular 100lbs-ft of torque. apparently there is a problem with case aluminum wheels that the lugs can loosen over time with higher speed driving. I don't know if that's true or not..but I only had the clicking once and haven't had since finding out about the lbs-ft thing. Hope this helps.

Odie
    (proud owner of a 2001 XLT Escape)
  • ke4yydke4yyd Posts: 30
    At mainly speeds of about 45 mph, several times per trip I experience a rumbling noise similar to the sound when rolling over warning strips. The noise lasts approximately 1 second. It appears to come from the right rear wheel.

Although it may have nothing to do with it I also notice a whining noise that sounds like the old rear end noise in past vehicles with rear wheel drive, also around 45 mph.

I have a 4x4 and I get the reeling the auto 4x4 somehow engages while on pavement and causes a binding binding.

Anyone have any info on these problems?
  • This weekend while traveling I noticed something wrong with my stereo/6 CD disc. While playing CDS in Slot 1 and Slot 6, the Bass and Balance menus kept flickering on. Also, the balance went entirely to the right stereo speaker only. I was touching nothing on the stereo while it started doing these things. Seems fine today but am taking it in. ANyone else experience this?

By the way, my 2002 Escape XLT stalled in June, had the rear wiper replaced last month, creaks like an old lady's rocker and now has a funky stereo. I'm so sad!
  • doseydosey Posts: 1
    I'm test driving a '01 Tribute and I have been looking other SUV's. In reading some of the discussions, I noticed that there are other people noticing problems with a gas smell as well? Can anyone tell me what that is? Should I be concerned about it - enough to take it back to the dealer and keep looking? Is this a sign of things to come?

Thank you for all of your comments.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Like most other reactive AWD systems, the one used in the Escape and Tribute will engage the rear wheels when there is a difference in speeds between the front and rear axles. When you take a sharp turn, the front tires drive a longer arc than the rear tires. This means that they drive farther over the same amount of time. In short, the front tires go faster. That difference in speed may be enough to activate the AWD system.

With This type of AWD activated on dry pavement, you get drivetrain "binding". The front and rear axles are locked together and will not allow one to move at a different speed than the other. Either the wheels scrub off the difference, or the drivetrain gets twisted (not likely, but possible).

I know this is true of the CR-V. Many drivers hear a whining noise during tight turns (steering wheel turned all the way) if the differential fluid needs replacing. I don't know if the Ford system requires similar maintenance. I woud be very surprized if this wsere happening at speeds higher than 20 mph. However, if you are experiencing trouble when taking sharp turns, it might be worth looking into.
    My 2001 V-6 4x4 scheduled maintenance guide in the glove compartment is generic and applies to all Ford autos in 2001. It says to change transmission fluid at 30,000 miles for vehicles with tranny models AX4S, 4F50N, 4R70W, 4R100 and 4F27E. It makes no recommendations for the CD4E in the Escape. Other sources indicate only to check the fluid every 5,000 miles and service (change fluid) when needed for the CD4E.

Does anyone know how to determine the minimum service requirements for the Escape CD4E tranny that is required to keep the extended warranty valid. My local dealer is confused and says he doesn't know. I any not looking for personal recomendations on service trannys. I want the official FORD requirements.
  • ke4yyd -
    Please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-FORD or emailfordcrc@ford.com. They will help you find your answer. Anyone else who has an unanswered question can also use this contact information.
    lfitzge5,

I sent an email as you suggested. Got a reply that they would respond in 3 days. 4th day is over and no response. Don't know why the question is so difficult for them. Every new vehicle I have owned since 1956 had a maintenance schedule in the owners manual for that particular vehicle. Looks like Ford could do the same or at least provide info when requested.