Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zaimonzaimon Posts: 124
    The Tribute's AT is supposedly programmed with different shift points for livelier acceleration. Tests have only proven though that acceleration differences between the two are insignificant.
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    interesting, so i was wrong, and right. (wrong in there was a computer change, right in that it had no performance impact).
  • marys235marys235 Posts: 23
    FYI, I was getting a hissing, whistling noise when I let my foot off the brake pedal in my 2001 Ford Escape 4x4. I was told (after 2 trips to the dealership) there was a defective seal in the master cylinder which caused the noise, and the entire master cylinder will have to be replaced. It doesn't affect brake function, just causes that irritating noise. The service guy told me it is a common problem in Escapes, just thought I'd pass it along. He mentioned they had tried lubricating the seal on some cars, but the noise always comes back. Glad it's still under warranty.
  • lboadalboada Posts: 1
    I had an unfixable puncture on my right/rear. Because of the awd system, do I need to replace both tires on that axle or can I get away with putting another of the same type and size? It currently has General Grabber AW 225/70 - 15 on it now all around. They have about 25K on them now.

Any help greatly appreciated.
  • I had a previous post describing my brake hissing noises on my 01 Tribute (when I released the brake pedal). Dealer had tried to tell me that this wasn't a problem, but the hissing was incredibly annoying. The car turned out to have a bad master cylinder, but that wasn't the problem. The dealer called the Mazda tech line, which had the dealership replace the brake booster rod. That solved the problem. It took a lot of arguing to get them to call, but it was well worth it.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    what's the mileage rated for the wear out on your tires. (ex. 30k, 35k, 40k, 50k, 90k mile tires)

You say you have 25k on your tires... if they are due to wear out around say 30 or 35 k ... I would just replace all 4. But that's only my opinion.

Odie
  • utopiautopia Posts: 24
    Haven't been on msg. boards in a while. Just an update -- we have now owned our '02 Escape over a year. It's perfect - no problems, drives like a dream, gas mileage is approx. 22-24 mpg around town. We intended to buy the Tribute (after much comparing between Tribute/Escape/CR-V), but once we parked them side by side, decided we liked the sportier look of the Escape. Tribute's are nice too, just "dressier" looking. Anyway, bottom-line, we could not be happier with a vehicle!
  • reb22reb22 Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2003 Mazda Tribute and after 4 months, I noticed all of the metal parts under the dash and under the seat were rusting. I took the car to the dealer and they had to remove the seats, carpet and dash to remove the rust. When the car was built, they did not seal the windows correctly and water slowly leaked into the car. The service manager stated that the 2003 Tributes interior metal parts are not sealed like the previous models.

Anyone else having similar problems.

If you purchased a 2003 Tribute you may want to look under the dash and under the driver seat.
  • I have enjoyed driving my Escape over the last month or so, the only complain I have is the excessive wind noise, especially on the highway. I check all the doors, windows and sunroof to make sure they are closed. I do not know where the wind blows in. Does anyone experience the same ? How do you deal with it.

Thanks.
    dkexplorer
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,963
    Did you check the roof racks?

rotarykid Jan 23, 2003 10:38pm

Try a discussion search for "wind" for other posts about this issue.

Steve, Host
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    the roof rack syndrome. The dealerships at one point were putting these on backwards. This was causing one heck of a howling noise at speeds above about 50MPH. Check your manual they show a picture of how the racks should be on the Escape. Its kind of a crude outline but you can see which way is supposed to go forward. I changed mine the day I got home from buying my Escape. I read about this issue here at Edmunds and knew what the sound was on my way home. Other than that.. the Escape/Trib are a bit noisy inside..
  • zaimonzaimon Posts: 124
    I've found that the Tribute's side mirrors make a lot of sound as well... I have an '01 Tribute and I believe Mazda/Ford changed the side view mirrors halfway through 02 (although I've heard the new models are just as noisy)...

35,000 miles and nearly flawless performance!
    I found a really nice remedy for the outside noise. And it only cost me about $40 in parts.
    I got alot of the Dynomat self stick sound padding from circuit city.

1. make sure it's a nice day before you start and that you have alot of extra time.
    2. make sure you have a second car or buy stuff before you begin.
    3. you have to remove your headliner, door panels, side panels, rear hatch panel. (but not all at once, there are alot of screws)
    4. stick the Dynomat anywhere there is exposed metal (you have to cut some to fit)
    5. replace headliner, door panels, side panels, rear hatch panel when your done with each.

Not only does it reduce the noise from outside, but you don't lose alot of sound from you stereo either.

Odie
  • firstovfirstov Posts: 31
    Did anyone try to reduce the engine noise?
    I wonder if I change the tires to less noisy that would decrease the road noise significally or not..
    Any comments?
    Questions you need to ask yourself before switching tires...
    1. Am I going to need traction in snow / mud.
    2. Am I going to go off-road (back-yards, dirt-roads, gravel-roads, beach sand)

Go to http://www.goodyear.com they have a nice selection of tires for SUV's, I myself got the Goodyear Wrangler RF-A (Rotation Free - Aquatread), I had the dealer that I purchased my Escape at put these on because I didn't want the Firestones or Continental Tires. what is really nice is Goodyear has their lifetime warrenty on their tires, plus every 6000 miles you get FREE Re-balance and Rotation, even though I don't need the Rotation I still get the Re-Balancing.

Odie
  • firstovfirstov Posts: 31
    thanks for your comments. All I need is just a quieter ride. I got 20K trouble free miles (almost).
    But on the long trips (12+ hours) the road noise is killing me. And I wonder if someone has experience with less noisy tires. Will they (tires) decrease that noise ?
    The only noise that bothered me is related to engine and tires.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    if you never go offroad or into the snow, what is the quietest tire you can buy for this thing? There is a lot of tire noise at highway speeds.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• gheimurgheimur Posts: 88
    I've posted in the past and the car had about 3 minor problems that were fixed under the
    warranty. The car is a fully loaded 2001 Escape XLT except for the sidebars, It is now over
    2 years that we have owned it and 36,500 miles. It feels solid, has no squeaks. Same goes for
    my 96 Ford Taurus 122k no squeaks either and engine runs great. Everything works including the AC. My teenage daughter says its BRRRRRRRRRRRR cold
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Nice to see your post. This room has really slowed down over the past 6months to a year. No where near the people popping in and reporting problems with their Escapes/Tribs.
    Hey, I also own a 2001 XLT, I just passed 24,000 trouble free miles. Wow! 36,000! Don't forget to get your transmission fluid changed and check those brakes out...
    I'm just shy of 30,000 trouble free miles. I got my 30k service coming up on 4/25. But as of yet, I have NOT had any problems with my 2001 Escape XLT 4wd

Odie