Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Tires, Tires, Tires

Hi fellow Outlander enthuiasts. I am wondering if anyone has swapped out their OEM tires for a new set yet (not for wear...obviously but for performance)? When you look at the oem tires that come on the LS model they look pretty decent but they are on the scarry side at 65 mph. The car wandered all over the road and the steering was super hyper sensitive. Move the steering wheel a quarter of an inch and find your self in the next lane at higher speeds. I should probably add that I actually love the really tight steering and am used to driving high end autos with similar steering.

So I went for broke, did some research, and bought a whole new set of tires for my Outlander at the youthful age of 410 miles. My outlander has been reborn! $750 later my Outlander drives like the sports car it is and stays in one lane on the frwy. The performance is so improved it feels like a completly different car. Next I went to visit my parents and it snowed during the visit. Put the tires to the test on snow and a serious patch of ice and I have to say I was very impressed. The car tracked and steered perfectly with all for wheels in abs lockup at about 35mph on solid ice.

So here's the specs. The OEM tires were Yokohama GO33's. The tires I switched to are Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred's directional tires. I selected them by reviewing the tire ratings at tirerack.com. They were the highest rated tire in this size and performance catagory. My friend who drve the car before and after could not believe the difference. The he looked up his own oem tires that came on his Subaru Baja and saw how low they ranked. By the next day he was shopping for new tires too.

I am sure there are other good tires out there besides the ones I bought. Just curious if any one else has made a switch and how much difference they noticed.

Happy outlandering...

Comments

• rcpaxrcpax Posts: 580
    Tires are always one of the important factors. It's the only thing that contacts the road so it'd better be good. I've seen WRC rallies won and lost by tire choice alone. But what's not clear though is if you changed to a different brand/model or did you changed tire size too? I'd probably buy a Michelin or a Pirelli on my next set of tires. But the 18" OEM tires on my XLS are doing a fine job, it's such a waste to throw them away.
  • growwisegrowwise Posts: 297
    I am glad someone brought this topic up. I looked up tire choices (no I will not swap now) and there is limited choice out there for P225/55R18 on XLS.
    Apart from OEM GoodYear Eagle LS2, I see only Michelin HydroEdge and Pirelli P6? 4 season. I noticed that UTQG rating on Michelin is really high (800) vs Pirelli's 600 and LS2's 400. So technically, michelin has to last twice than goodyear. But the catch is that LS2 is quieter and comfortable :surprise: compared to hydroedge which is supposedly more noisier. Ofcourse none of these tires are cheap so I better make the most out of each set.
  • Thanks for both of your comments on the tire issue. Growwise I made a quick spin over to tirerack.com and there are at least 10 tires in your size. I should add that I have never purchased from tirerack so I can't recommend them as a seller but they seem to be one of the best comparison sites to see what's available and how they rank. It can be a little confusing to find the rankings on your tires on their site. Start by entering the tire size you are looking for and pull up the list of available tires in that size. Then click on one tire in the list and go to that tires page. Then click on the "SURVEY" link on that page. From the "SURVEY" link page click on "Compare this tire to other...tires". This will give you a comparison grid of all the tires in this size and catagory.

RCPAX I agree would be a waste to throw away the tires. No worries, I saved them and plan to sell them through the classifieds. Also I didn't change tire size. I stayed with the 215 70 16's.

I had a good laugh. Yesterday, in a parking lot, a man and woman walking past my car stopped to admire it. That last thing I heard him utter as they walked on was and "Wow - look at those tires!" Can't say I ever got my tires checked out before. Happy Motoring..... ;)
    10 tires? try again
    225 55 18

btw, utqg of pirelli is 400 which is same as goodyear. Michelin is the king when it comes to long lasting wear - 800 utqg :surprise:
  • I noticed a significant improvement just by deflating the tires to OEM specs (32psi instead of 44+psi).

I have no idea why these things came overinflated from the factory.

XLS 18" wheels/tires
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    They are overinflated for transport from overseas. Its SOP. The dealer is supposed to deflate them before delivery.
  • Thank you for that statement. I replaced my factory 16" with 18" after just a few days and the tire pressure sensor went off. They even replaced a sensor that appeared to be damaged. The tire pressure was about 47psi. I think I'll try dropping to the oem specs and see if that helps with the sensor.
    The Goodyear Eagle LS P225/55R18 OEM tires on XLSs are not bad at all. Treadwear of 400, Temp A, Traction A. Beside the 400 treadwear, the tires has good heat dissipation and grip (according to the UTQG ratings). The Michelin Hydroedge has somewhat lesser temp dissipation at B rating.

When do we get to see a P225/55R18 size tire with Treadwear of about 800, traction of AA, and temp of A? Seems like a dream for this tire size.
    I was just going thru manual and I remember reading a section which warns people not to change tire/wheel combos. Part of the deal was that TPMS will be thrown off.

Pays to read the manual :P
    There is actually a way for you to retain/transfer those sensors on your new rims, and with a new size wheel/tire, you may need to recalibrate the speed sensor to reflect the correct speed and avoid tickets
  • I did read the manual however changing tires and wheels with TPMS is done all the time either by transfering the sensors or replacing them with new sensors.
  • ibex22ibex22 Posts: 3
    My tires were close to 48 PSI off the dealer lot. I lower them to 36 and it made a world of difference.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Posts: 194
    I bought an extra set of 18" OEM wheels, powerdercoated them gunmetal, bought some TPMS sensors on eBay and a set of 225/55/18 Pirelli P6 tires. So far the Pirelli's ride and handle better than the Goodyears.

I'm struggling to get the TPMS sensors to work, the local dealer didn't have the equipment to do it. I need to do some research to find out what is needed.

biscuit, those must have cost a pretty penny. I must admit they look real sharp. I think they'd look better on my graphite gray xls... not too sure if they'd go with white xls :P
  • I have had my Mitsubishi Outlander XLS for about a week, and just switched the tires. I removed the stock 225/55-R18 Goodyears and switched to a 235/55-R18 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (V RATED). IMMEDIATELY after switching to this tire, I have noticed better grip while cornering. These were well worth the switch.
  • mikejojomikejojo Posts: 7
    I've owned a 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander since November 2005 and had to replace my tires at roughly 40,000 miles.

I had a bit of a limited budget and purchased Fuzion ZRi P22560R16 tires. Given the wintery conditions here, I've found these handle quite well in the inclement weather. Road noise is up there a bit on the highway but I've learned to tune it out.
  • Just got my LS 2WD, this spring and i'm already looking into preparing for the fall/winter. any suggestions on snow/ice tires? how bout all season tires for spring/summer?
    These tires are so noisy. I only have 1800 miles and just can't ignore the noise. Tirerack rates them 26 out of 28.
  • imetalimetal Posts: 4
    I'm shopping an XLS in order to get the occasional "munchkins in the 3rd row" capability. However, for wheels I plan to go with something a little more interesting (20" chrome).

So the 18's won't do me much good. However, the 16" alloy wheels from the LS are interesting, as they'd do nicely to host a set of winter tires.

Has anyone ever heard of "downgrading" their wheels during purchase at the dealer? Would it be worthwhile for them, perhaps by being able to make an LS on their lot a little more attractive? If so, would it be reasonable for me to push for something else out of it (free floor mats, etc)?
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 898
    Can't hurt to ask. I've seen some larger dealers change out the rims on new cars to custom ones, and park them out front to bring in traffic. (A friend of mine was drawn to a Mustang with chrome rims, and ended up buying it as an impulse purchase.)
  • Got the 18" Goodyears. Anyone recommend a quiter tire?
  • The Pirelli P6 is quieter and rides better, I've had both.
  • My UK model has Bridgestone 18inch Dueler Sport H/P fitted 225/55 H 18 :) :) :)
    Any one invested in a set of winter tires? If so, what size steelies go with it? I guess if steelies are of LS size, then tire choices may improve? 'cause there is not a whole lot of choice for 225/55R18. Even then, only michelins seem to get good reviews (atleast on tire rack - they get bad mouthed elsewhere) What size steelies go with 55R18's? Sorry too many questions..

Someone mentioned a wider tire (235/55R18). How's that working out? There are a whole slew of tires in that size on tire rack. Speaking of which, Apparently, canadians can save 40% on tires by ordering them from states..

btw, Toyo seems to be selling winter tires (OBSERVE G02) that fit outlander atleast in canada
    http://www.toyocanada.com/products/BrochurePDF/Winter_EN.pdf
    Got my ice/snow tires put on.. but with the steel wheels, there are no TP sensors. Resetting TPMS is a pain.
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    It appears that there is not a good decent tire brand for the Outlander 225/55R18. The stock Goodyear Eagle LS-2 is just useless in little snow, little wet or little mud. I would like to jump to the 235/55R18 where there are bigger stock of better tires for SUV. Shifting to this size incurs in a 1.6% Speedo too slow and 1.5% diameter tire difference. Will this shift upset the tire Speedo sensors? Comments appreciated!

Toyo (Toyo Versado LX) has a new 225/55R18 that seems to be much better than the Goodyear. This tire is "all seasons". Good grip in snow, water and mud. In the 235/55R18 the Pirelli Scorpio Ice& Snow or the Hankook Ventus ST RH06 will do the trick. For high performance summer the Yokohama ADVAN V802 is a must. Please read the review of the Goodyear Eagle or just observe the design of the rubber groove to find out for yourself that the Goodyear is just rubbish.
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    TPMS based in wheel speed will most probably fail when changing tire sizing. TPMS based in tire stem (remote direct TPMS) will not be affected by tire size changing.
  • 20vcq20vcq Posts: 82
    I'm kinda old school when it comes to winter tires (studs). I've had both of the last two Ice and Snow tires and found them great in most circumstances but lacking when the combination of packed and snow and ice got under foot.
    But I went down size to get more rubber between me and the ruts and holes. I am running 225/70/16 BFGs. I put them on rims I bought from Tire rack for $40 a piece. Going wider is not the best route with snow tires. I would have preferred to go to 205 but the price on these studded noise makers was right.
    At Costco. See reviews at Tirerack.
    I have just about had it with the LS 2 at 17,000 miles. :mad: