Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Tires, Tires, Tires

Comments

• batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    Has anyone in this forum tried to order from anywhere in the USA or Canada a set of 4-tires Yokohama 225/55R18 IceGuard IG20? If yes, I will be very grateful to have the information
    I have told by a Tire dealer in CA that the IceGuard IG20 (225/55R18 97R M +S) will be in the USA middle of September 2008 at $1000 (shipping included) set of 4-tires.

The Yokohama Geolander i/T GO72 235/55R18 100R (M+S) is another choice.
    The Nokian (Brand new) Hakkapeliitta R SUV $200 each (225/55R18) (included shipping).

The Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 or the 215/55R18 Firehawk GT4 (Firestone) 94T. All the tires mentioned above have a off-road bias (M + S + ice).
  • I am in Canada presently. A dealer after somebody hit and scratched my brand new wheel said that the he can see that the wheel is slightly wobbly and the scratching on it awards the need of having a new wheel. After a day when he realized that he cannot get the 7-spoke wheel in Canada and it has to be imported from the USA, he said that the wheel needs refurbishing only and that the wheel balance is OK. Can a normal wheel balance find out that the wheel is slightly twisted or not? If the balancing machine is unable to find out about the twisted wheel how will this anomaly affect the tire wear of the whole car?

How can be find out if a wheel is lightly twisted?

Any comments will be much appreciated.
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 395
    Sounds like you are talking run-out and that is easy to check (especially if it's the front wheel) normally you place a dial gauge against the side of the rim and rotate the wheel.

I hardly think you really need a dial gauge for this application , but just jack up the wheel and place a rod on some sort on a base and place a few sheets of paper between the rod and side of the rim and then remove the paper and then rotate the tire and check that it is not hitting in places as you rotate it. It will be real apparent if it's bent.(you can do the same on the edge of the rim (diameter)to check for a dent on that plane. Even rotating the wheel at a slow speed should allow your eye to detect if it is bent if you sight along the side. If it was a front wheel I would check the front end alignment to be sure a tie rod is not bent, etc.
  • Many thanks for the comments. Will a routine wheel balance machine in any tire garage detect small unevenness in an alloy rim? I took the wheel to a tire dealer so he could use a dial gauge (axial and radial) but he told me he hasn’t any and that is not needed that the balance machine will find out if something is not right. Later he told me that he detected about 3 mm up and down when the rim is rotated. Is this value a serious value? Or do I not need to worry.

My insurance company said that if the rim is slightly twisted he wants the rim be to repaired first, and if the rim cannot be repaired (bring it to standard deviation tolerance) then he will approve the buying of a new rim. I am afraid that repairing a twisted rim is not an easy job and perhaps it could make further damage to the rim or perhaps it could cost more than buying a new rim.
  • There are several terms to describe the usefulness of tires in general: summer tires, winter tires, all-seasons tires, all-weather tires, all-terrain tires, off-road tires, etc. Could someone in this forum give some comments about all of these terms? Also what happens if I use a set of winter tires all the year round instead of using them only in winter? Is the wear of the winter tire at higher temperatures the major reason for not using them in summer?
    I don't know what the tolerance spec on the wheel is. 3 mm (about .1 inch) does not sound like much and you say it's up and down (not really a twist) and I would think that the tire flex could handle that, but no expert.. I also don't know about straightening the rims. I do know I chose in LS (not an XLS) in part because a CUV is not a sports car and with lower profile tires you are asking for dents in the rim with potholes, etc driving in the real world. I'll take all the cushioning effect of taller sidewalls I can get!! :)
    Regarding using winter tires year round: I have found a true snow tire has too much squirm for summer driving as the deep tread blocks are like your wheel riding up high on the bristles of a toothbrush (great for digging in snow, but too much squirm/flex on
    surfaces that don't give). The winter tire compounds also wear real quick on dry pavement. Most people I know desiring true snow tire performance buy some cheap steel rims for the snow tires and have a decent all season or summer tire mounted on the fancy summer alloys (which spares them from winter corrosion also) By using steel rims you also can choose a narrower higher profile tire (better traction in winter than wide tires....compare to LS wheel size for example. The rolling diameter is the same so the speedo reads correct, but the wheels are 16" with taller sidewalls and profile to make up the difference)
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    The Michellin Primacys were installed yesterday. Handling much better and the noise was reduced tremendously.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 905
    Anybody with a LS with the Yokohama's that has over 20,000 miles on them. My car has about 16,000 and the tires are showing some wear. Probably normal, they are no longer new but I was wondering how many miles people are getting out of these tires.
    How will it affect the ride and stability of my Outlander’s XLS V6 AWD if I change the original Goodyear tires (225/55R18) for the Hankook Optimo H418 (225/60R18)?

I have seen that the majority of 4x4 SUV have tire profiles above 60% and I think there must be a reason for this. Will these new all-seasons tires (e.g. Hankook) with a 60% profile make my ride smoother? Will these new tires diminish my car ride’s stability?

The Hankook H418 costs only $100 each and Hankook has shown for many years to be good tires with performance and durability similar to those prestigious tires makes.

Thank you for your comments.
  • I have been checking around and decided on the G.Year Comf.Tred or a Mic.
    I asked about these tires @Sears but they will only guarantee the tire that CAME on the car and nothing else. The tire mgr told me that an SUV rides higher so they need a stiffer sidewall and will only sell me Goodyear LS2's.

Any ideas out there re: guarantees and road hazard guarantees? :confuse:
    That is the most absurd thing for the Sears MGR to say. Many OEM tires are crap and I find cheaper Goodyears are among the worst!!! (check out survey results on LS2 tires on tirerack.com and it shows red, yellow and pink in many categories as opposed to light and dark green) Find someone else that knows something to do business with (If it's got the same load rating or better you are fine and I know Outlanders are far from the heaviest vehicles out there so finding alternative choices with better ratings should be easy) Visit tirerack.com for ideas (type in the vehicle and they'll show you options and read the graphic charts survey results from owners ). I know I'm heavily leaning for the Avon Ranger TSE for my LS (XLS size however isn't available). The Avon tires look like an excellent choice for winter traction, noise and price for LS Outlanders.
  • I thought the Sears guy was a wack-a-doo but thought I'd run it by the Outie line.
    I've check Tire Rack and came up w/a good Mic and the Comfortred. A mgr @ Goodyear even recommended the Comftrd...80K tread sounds good. The Tripletred is no good in snow or ice. I live in S. Fl but often go to the Smokey mtn area in winter. I will be retiring and moving up permantently in 1 1/2 years so I need tires good for teh ice,too.
    I don't know what you are talking about with the Tripletread vs Comfortread. The Tripletread is far superior to the Comfortread in all categories except "comfort" and "noise" (the Tripletread being much better in snow and only slightly worse in these 2 categories.) As for ice: any tire will have trouble there vs studs (any tread compound for ice is very marginal vs tread pattern benefits for snow ability traction). My wife put Tripletreads on the front of her Malibu when she got a sidewall puncture on one of her front tires and so far so good in NYS. (upgrading from the OEM garbage). We'll probably swap these to the rear next year and get new Tripletreads for the front to replace the OEM tires remaining on the rear that now have the "whup whup" sound (at 35k tread is still OK on rear, but noise is BAD).

See what I'm talking about in the chart:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=AS
  • I just purchased the Michelin Primacy MXV4 from Sams Club ($20 off each tire). Tires are a far cry from the OEM tires that came with the car (I only got 20K miles, which are 5K more than I should have). With the first snow of the season I noticed the car sliding and hard to control. When I had the car inspected the mechanic told me I needed tires ASAP. I was blown away because it was so soon (2007 Outlander). After reading these posts realized that the tires that came with the car are crap. The Primacy tire is proving to be a great buy so far.
    I see the Primacy are also tops in their class (grand touring all season) vs the Tripletreads that are tops in their class (passenger all season), but upon looking further I see only the Comfortreads are available in the XLS sixe of 225/55-18. I've always had very good luck with Michelins and if the price wasn't much different would lean towards them (since Goodyear also makes some pretty poor tires to the few that are good) I do see though that the Michelins do cost a lot more ($179 vs $128 for the Comfortread, but they do appear to be worth it by the survey results). Luckily my Outlander LS tires will cost far less . i.e, for 215/70-16 in the for the Avon Ranger TSE it will only be $82 each and they rank 3rd in their class, but very high overall in the categories I'm looking for and even better than the 2nd place Tripletreads by a bit in some categories while only losing out slightly in others while being less expensive. I don't think there are too many miles yet on the General tires in first place for this category and have never been too impressed with General over the years, but who knows, maybe they do have a winner here but alas they don't come in a LS size and if they did I'd have to see more survey respondent miles.
  • Did you replace the TMPS valves?....I was told that they should be replaced every time new tires are installed...

I'm planning on 4 new Yokohama YK520's in P225/60R-18 size for my 07 XLS from Discount Tire...They quoted me at $562 "out the door" That will include new TMPS valve rebuild kits and lifetime spin balancing.
    They will give me $15 per tire in trade for the Useless LS Goodyears with 1/4 inch of tread left after 27,000 miles.
  • Today only (Dec. 1) - Discount Tire is offering $50 off set of 4 tires. This covers most tires but not all (the Yokohama yk520s I wanted aren't included).

Better yet, order any BuyItNow item from their ebay store anytime and get 25-35% (currently 30%) cashback instantly from Microsoft Live.

After seeing my yk520's didn't get the $50 deal I got them from the DicountTires's ebay store and saved much more with the 30%.

Cashback details

Hope this helps some tire buyers out there.
  • This is OllieXLS. Still thump,thump,thumping along on the OEM LS2's w/37,000 miles and now FOUR plugs!

Do any of ya'll have info re: the reliability of"
    1. Hankook Opitimo H727 225/55 R18 (Sears $746 w/everything incld. rd hazd) Or......
    2. Cooper CS4 Touring 225/55 R18 98T not sure of the $ yet

I know what the tire companies say and what the dealers say...I need to know what the word is in the real world.

Thanks for any reliable (particularly on the road experience) user info.
    Thanks again. OllieXLS
  • solowalkersolowalker Posts: 118
    I put on a set of 225/60R18 YK 520's in Jan. from Discount tire...

100% improvement from the OEM Goodyears. :)
    I like Cooper Tires. I have Zeon's on my Lincoln LS.

Anyone with an Outlander LS and the factory Yokohama's with much more than 20K on them? Mine with 20K are wearing but have life left in them, I was wondering about what I could get out of them.
  • Yes.
    I too was very unhappy with my OEM tires, very poor performance. No grip.
    I did my research, I wanted max performance and I am willing to pay for GRIP on corners and especially on freeways. I found TWO good choices, The Consumer Reports recommended Goodyear, which I generall prefer or the Perrelli, which I have now. Very happy.
    I have nothing good to say about Michelin, I used to run these but their quality deteriorated so badly and I had so much belt seperations and car damage at highway speeds that I wouldn't used them if they were free. By the way, the Perrelli has been outstanding so far, my tires will out perform my Outlander for top end thats for sure.
    One minor issue I have had though, I am having to ungrade to a full laser jammer, this outlander is just a little too quick, but it's a nice problem to have......happy motoring. Now if I could just get decent service......
  • I just replaced my 07 xls pieces of crap Goodyears for a new set of michellin primacy . I can't believe Mitsi put those tires on the Outlander . I has 22k on them and they would slip all over , worn tread and very noisey. Even my wife who knows nothing about tires commented on how bad they were . The new tire change the whole driving experience , much less noise and the ride is improved greatly!!
  • i have a new outlander( < 1 month old) and just drove x-cty with it and now have 6100 miles on my vehicle (purchased thanks to "cash for clunkers", endless research, and a fair price that i got when i included my jetta as a two-fer).
    going x-cty i saw only 4 other outlanders! what's up with that? is mitsu happy enough with foreign sales that they don't promote this vehicle? oh well that's for another forum, but thus far my car has performed flawlessly and i'm very happy with my purchase. mitsu needs more advocates i guess.
    anyway, was unhappy as soon as i read my first review of the stock tire...so i'm looking, especially now, for a replacement. i'm down to 2 tires; an all season and a snow as i'm in northern new england. both i had on my jetta and loved. the first was the goodyear assurance triple tread . my question with that one is whether it would be adequate in a fairly snowy, cold region? i know it's great on wet , but how about snow?. the other tire is the nokian hakkapeliitta which made driving in snow like night and day compared to my stock jetta tires.i'm open for other tires as well, but for those who have the 18" wheels you know there's not that much "good" available. thank you for your reply and help
    Your car all wheel drive? If so, you'll have no problem with an all season tire.
    I was going to get the Avon Ranger TSE tires for my 2007 Outlander LS, but I see the tire rack no longer has them in the 215/70R16 size (seem to be phasing them out and only a few sizes remain). After a bit of research I ended up ordering some General Grabber HTS at $91 each. (I'm not working now and keeping cost down, but these appear to be a great value for LS owners, though not as cheap as the Ranger TSE's would have been at $79. ea). I like the somewhat blockier tread vs the almost straight lines of the original Yokohama Geolander tires that wore the fronts out at under 20K with no rotation (my bad) . Review shows the to be fairly decent in snow and noise level, etc. nobody local came close to the shipped price from Tire Rack.

Have a look and I'll review after I get them mounted in the next few days.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+HTS
    The Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 225/55R18 is an excellent tire on tarmac, ice, snow, mud, gravel, sand, and water. I tried this tire for more than 6-months in Europe. The grip is fantastic. My previous car had 235/60R16 Geolandar A/T &#150; S. I expect to use these tires in my new 2010 Outlander GT instead of the Goodyear LS2- all seasons. Four years ago the size 225/55R18 was not manufactured but from this month October this new size is offered in the US. Very good news. Price is $136 each from tire rack.com

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • mayda1mayda1 Posts: 12
    thanks for the comeback. i thought about the Geolanders but decided on (and have ordered) some Nokian Hakkapellitta's as several local dealers think the Nokians are one of the best on the market if price isn't an object( price is but i won't mess around when it comes to safety and tires). i had these on my jetta for 2 winters and they were great. hopefully that will transfer over to the Outlander. my only hesitation was that in one of the forums or reviews hydroplaning on wet was given a low rating. that wasn't the case with my jetta hakka's, so i'll give 'em a try and review them here later being that it's October and the snows already flying they may get a workout earlier than expected....now that that decision has been made what am i going to switch to come next May (as i'm just not happy with the LS2's).
    suggestions?
    Just to clarify: There are Geolanders and then there are Geolanders.(I see Yokohama has no less than 14 different tires sporting the Geolander name) The OEM tires for the LS I referred to in my post are the Geolander HTG033. It's not the worst tire I've ever had, rather so-so, but the wear is bad. I look for something decent in snow when I buy a tire and once again they are rather ho-hum there. I see some other people agree on the Tire Rack review of the tire (It's not me as one of the 2 Outlander owners posting in the review at the bottom)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H%- - 2FT+G033