Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Chip Upgrades Worth It?

Comments

• I have an Infiniti FX45 which has the same mill as the Q45 and M45 but makes 20 less horsepower for what reason - no one at Infiniti can say... I have hit a brick wall trying to find out if I can swap a Q45 chip with the one in my FX45 and recapture the "lost" horsepower. Does anyone know why this would not work and who can help me?
  • Does anyone know if there is a programmer module for an Infiniti G35? If so, do you have a link? I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks!!
  • I'm planning on adding an AFE cold air intake with a granitelli mass air flow sensor to my 99 sierra. I have a superchip programmer, that a rep told me not to use it with the mass air sensor. So Im leaning towards the diablo to see if I can get a coustom program to make eveything smooth. I will add the intake and sensor for a while then get a dyno test. I need to know a good place to send the dyno info to burn a custom program to fit my truck. SO Im in the same boat as you in a way, I just need some info if possible. TY for reading.
  • CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT.... I NEED INFO ON THE CHIP AND WANT TO KNOW IF ITS WORTH IT...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Which chip are you thinking of buying? Name of product or manufacturer? Do you have a website link we can look at?

• WELL I'LL BE HONEST WITH YOU...I REALLY HAVE NO CLUE... THIS IS MY FIRST CAR AND I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT CARS SO I KINDA CAME HERE FOR SOME SCHOOLING OR JUST FOR SOME HELP AND GUIDANCE ....MAYBE YOU CAN HELP ME OUT ON GETTING THE RIGHT CHIP ...I JUST INSTALLED AN INJEN COLD AIR INTAKE WICH MADE A REALLY BIG DIFFERENCE.. AND I WANT TO DO OTHER LITTLE MODS THAT WONT COST ME TOO MUCH.... IM ACTUALLY SELLING THE RIMS IT HAS RIGHT NOW AND LOOKING TO GET SOMETHING BIGGER 19X8.5 19X9.5 BUT I HEARD THAT CAN SLOW U DOWN SO IM THINKING OF 18'S ...ANNY SUGESTIONS?

HERES A LINK :
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=1044235&imageID=25- 8588582&Mytoken=C7F101CB-A0A1-4846-B5674390A9575ED22639079390
    I wouldn't go over 18", no way. Harsh ride and heavy tire wear, not worth it IMO.

As for the chips, you need to get their technical specs and read carefully HOW they achieve what they claim to acheive. For instance, are they trying to advance your ignition timing? Or do they merely extend your automatic transmission shifts (heck you could do that for free in manual mode). Is it a real chip or a re-flash? What proof do they offer for their claims? Who tested it for them? Are they impartial and independent testers?

You need to do your homework and the BEST thing is to talk to someone who has installed the chip and tested it themselves.

• THANK YOU. I'LL DO SOME RESEARCH AND ASK AROUND... BUT YEAH IM STICKING WITH THE 18'S AND PROBALBY BRINGING THE CAR DOWN ABOUT AN INCH. OR MAYBE 1.5 NOT SURE YET.. BUT IF THERES ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN HELP ME OUT ON ID BE STOKED.
    Well don't bring the car down TOO much or you'll hammer the stock shocks to pieces.

• A shop was charging me $450 to lower it with different shocks...dont remember the name. should i even lower it ? and if so how low?
  • Hopefully you will get some good lowering springs to adjust your ride comfortbility. 18s and cheap springs will really make your car bouncy without even going over 45mph. For the shocks, if you don't lower it too much, you'll probably get by them in several yrs or so IMO./ I have stock shocks right now and still doing fine for about 2 years now. Car is lowered 2 inches front and 1.5" in the rear. Also, get a camber kit if you need one.
  • FYI: For those of you who own B7 A4 2.0t's, ECU tuning for these cars is not what it seems. Tuners such as APR and REVO are seeing massive gains just by flashing the ECU. APR is showing 232hp, 273lb-ft estimated to the crank on 91 octane, and 241hp, 292lb-ft estimated to the crank on 93 octane. Stock numbers are 200hp/207lb-ft from Audi, but these numbers are very conservative. APR dynoed a stock B7 2.0t and found on 93 octane, it pulled 178hp to the wheels. If you assume that you are losing 20% power to the drivetrain loss (this is pretty conservative), that would equal 220+ hp to the crank. I own a 06 A4 2.0t quattro and I have to admit, this thing pulls as hard if not harder than my 98 Mitsu Eclipse GSX (210hp, 214lb-tq) I owned previously.

Also, the new Civic was first advertised with 200hp, but since SAE changed the way it measured hp, they legally had to post 197hp. Funny how Audi didn't have to lower its hp rating.

Word of advise, if your gonna chip your car, it will definately increase power/torque. But the fact of the matter is, if your car is not forced induced it turbo/super, I would imagine the gains won't be that impressive and therefore not worth it.

The solution? Force induce your car! :shades:
  • Kloud9: Doyou have a chip recommendation for 2.0t A3 DSG. Thanks.
  • ...and I certainly do feel the extra torque. The B7 might not look like much of an upgrade from the B6 but, man, what an improved car. I've had my '06 B7 since August and even with the cold weather here in NE Ohio, the car hasn't had a burp or squeak.

And naturally it's Quattro with the sports suspension and manual tranny :)

My only regret is that I only average 30 mph on my short drive to work. I used to be able to nearly do that on a mountain bike.

B.W.
  • has anyone heard any good news or results from these performance modules im goin to put it in a 99 cavalier 2.2 l engine. any feed back would be appreciated thank you
  • Trying to chip my vehicle, i have read all the posted messages and i am indifferent about what to do. Is it a good idea or a bad one and who should i work with?
    Please give me some information thanks, I have done a little homework on this, but gettin confused about the 1.0 and + numbers and so forth. Thanks?
    please email if possible
    Josh@mega1.net
  • Here is some information, what are the differences and does anyone have any further guided info.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=1.8T- &model=Passat%20B5&submodel=FWD&category=Engine&subcategory=Chip%20Tuning

thanks
    Josh@mega1.net
  • flash11flash11 Posts: 98
    Just heard from the Chrysler salesman you can mod the new 2007 Sebring 3.5L from 235hp to 280hp with a simple upgrade to a larger air manifold and change out the chip to a Chrysler 300 performance chip. Maybe just hogwash but I will do a little more research. Just test drove the production line version, nice power with the 3.5L with the auto stick and sport tuned suspension, 18" wheels, she flies, imagine at 280hp on that midsized car. He also mentioned the new Chrysler Caliber SRT4 will have 300hp with a turbocharged 4 banger, wow,how will that thing stay together,thats a kids car, so cheap for so much horsepower.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,141
    45 hp on an NA car with a chip and intake? I don't buy it for a second.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• I have 2002 chevy with a programmer and dual exaust im wanting to add more after market parts but I dont want to dump a hole pile of money into mods that r not going to do anything can anybody help me!Perferablie sombody who has gone though the same problems and has found the best results.
This discussion has been closed.