Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commander Windshield Crack

2»

Comments

• ms5ms5 Posts: 1
    Glad to hear it's not only us. We purchased a Commander in November. We now have 4 cracks in our windshield. The crackes occured all within one month. I swear it cracks even if a bug hits it. We will definitely call in a complaint.
    Thanks for the info!
  • 9er9er Posts: 2
    I picked up a small stone last week which left a chip in my w/s. One day later it ran about 4". Another two days after that, I was driving down the road when this greybeard on a lawnmower ran over some dirt, which savagely flew at my Commander. Wham!! The windshield immediately spider-webbed like there was nothing to it. Here in Alberta, Canada it's $780+tax for a Chrysler replacement, and $460 at Speedy. What am I in for? I just bought the Jeep two weeks ago... Cheaply made? Poor positioning/angling? Plain old rotten Luck? Does the Hummer suffer from this "weak link", or is it simply that Chrysler has to address this "flaw" in the glass itself? The only way to fix this problem is within the glass, that I firmly believe, is too thin and, as a result, too weak. Would there be a recall on the 1000s of these inferior windshields currently stocked by glass shops everywhere? I don't know, but I do know one thing, every Commander owner should somehow get together and make a lot of noise....! :surprise:
  • I can't complain about anything else for the Commander. It's a great car for the money. It's one of the smoothest riding cars I have had. The steering is very responsive too. The Commander feels very solid. If only they can find a way to redo the windshield, I would consider getting another one.
  • tardifftardiff Posts: 2
    2 Months 2 windshields. Just adding to the post. I did file a complaint on line with NHThsa listed on this site.
    Still like the truck but seems to be an issue with the windshields. This looks like a definate pattern.
  • 9er9er Posts: 2
    To be fair, the Commander truly is a great vehicle overall. Perhaps if the windshield were just a little thicker and stronger, then there wouldn't be anything to complain about. I'm disabled and have been looking around for a comfortable vehicle (no minivans for this guy!). Just like putting on a new pair boots that you know right off are a perfect fit, no such thing as saying, "ah, they just need a little break-in period, this Jeep fit perfectly. I', a happy camper to say the least. :)
  • bandb832bandb832 Posts: 2
    I hope if you had your windshield replaced that it is still free from chips and cracks...I had a problem with the original Jeep windshield for my 3.7 V6...7000 miles, 35+ chips, cracks from top to bottom an side to side.... my insurance company and Chrysler/Jeep use the same company/glass, so at 11,000 miles I chose to pay $30 above my decuctible to another company and leave the insurance and service depart out of it...so far, things are good, but everytime I hear the sound of a rock hitting the glass, I hold my breath, pray and look over the windshield--- not a good feeling, but it now has almost 19,000 miles and I've only had to purchase 1 windshield....unfortunately, it is leaking transmission fluid and back at the dealership...it also hesitates/stalls while driving (which is really bad when you're making a turn), the traction control works when it shouldn't, shakes at times from low idle when in park and drive, hydroplaned several times, delay/hesitation/hard shift when put in drive/reverse/changing gears, 2nd row seats hard to fold up, the stereo system had an electrical problem and has been replaced....AND, believe it or not I told the guy at the service department today that I would trade out of it....unsure of which step I will take next regarding a trade in, but will definately go to the web site you listed. Good luck.
  • I also have two cracks in the 1st 3,000 miles of operartion with my Commander. I filled out the NHTSA form registering my problem. I haven't changed the windshield out yet as the cracks are small and not directly in my line of vision.

Has anyone heard of some type of protective cover, (Clear plastic or similar) that can be put on top of the windshield glass?? :D :D :D
  • When you lift up your 2nd row seat look at all of the hardware underneath. We have had our Commander 3 months and only half of my second row seat would come up with a little effort. When we started inspecting the vehicle we found that all of the hardware on all of the seats and underneath was full of rust and is getting worse each day. We have even found it in the headrest of the 3rd row.
    I am not impressed with the vehicle at all. It has been in the shop 6 times in 6 weeks with the service department keeping it anywhere from 1-5 days.
    Since we keep having numerous problems and Chysler can not figure it out, we have opted to file the lemon law. Hopefully the state of Florida will be gracious and we will get a GM product next time.
    Oh by the way Phillips Chrysler in Ocala offers the worst customer service and the service department has not a clue what they are doing.
  • dexmdexm Posts: 2
    Crack Cauded by Defrost Heat -
    My windshield crack right infront of me with no rock. It was about 36 F outside at night, I turned on the defraost high and started down the road. sunndenly a symetrical crack appears shaped like steer horns across the windshield with the center right above the round GPS receiver on the dask spreading outward the same length and shape to the right and left. It looks like the defrost caused it. There is no chip on the outside or inside. This must be a disgn flaw if the defrost used normally can crack a windshield.
  • Sorry to hear about all the problems with the Commander, I was hoping they would finally come out with a new Jeep with no major problems.
    I also have an issue with windshields, but mine is a Cherokee. Besides finding a small chip after cleaning a recent purchase of a 2000 Cherokee, I had all of these water spots on all of my glass. After using a buffer with a glass polisher, I managed to reduce some of the spots. When water dries on the glass, mineral deposits are left on the surface of the glass, and are hard to remove.
    But it seems my problem with the windshield glare was still there. According to local glass dealers, you cannot remove sand pitting from windshields with a polisher. Another issue is that glass made today is not as hard as years ago, that is why it pits so easily.
    It will cost about $250 to replace, but be sure the glass company does not use a tape adhesive to install the windshield. It seems it is a vital component in the structual safety of the Jeep, and must be installed properly.
    I guess I need to buy a bug/rock shield or buy a bullet proof windshield. Keep up the pressure on Chrysler to do the right thing on Commanders. Roger :(
  • Yes, it seems that they have made an outstanding Jeep Commander in so many ways yet have neglected something as basic as giving us a Jeep worthy windshied. I have a 2006 Limited and I have so many spider cracks and chips in my windshied that I have stopped counting! I was so happy after testing my Commander and realizing that they had upgraded/made major improvements in the Jeep construction. This is my 5th Jeep in 14 years and prior to test driving the Commander I swore I would never buy another Jeep. My last Grand Cherokee had lousy, unstable from seats, terrible noise suppresion, and a terrible windshield that was prone to chipping. Of all of the problems I have with this Jeep I still think it is an improvement in overall quality for the Jeep SUV brand. In a few years, assuming that this vehicle lasts, I may give Jeep one more try to get it right before switching to the Lexus or Range Rover brands. Even the GM brand SUV's are starting to look good to me and I have never cared for GM vehicles.... :cry: :cry:
  • Another update: Just a week ago the windshield cracked again. This is going to be my second windshield replaced, and I've got a line on the right side and a chip on the left. Im beginning to doubt whether a rock would even cause the line, because it seems like it only happens in the winter. The line crack, starts at the edge of the windshield and just works its way left. I have recently gotten a Hemi Grand Cherokee and so far so good. However, the ride of the Commander is much better. I can honestly say the windshield is the only flaw on the Commander, otherwise I would recommend it to someone.
  • I read awhile ago that Jeep has already announced that they do not plan to manufacture the Commander after 2009. This seems to me that they realize that there is a problem with this vehicle and they have decided to pull it off their product line instead of trying to fix the problems they know they have.

After reading other's posts, I too think that it was the defrost on the Commander that caused the windshield to crack. Our cracks started underneath the windshield wipers, when they were not being used and quickly spread across the bottom of the windshield. When taken to the dealership to show them the cracks, they insisted that they were caused by rock chips, but I honestly don't think it was. I don't see how a rock chip can happen below a windshield wiper that is not being used.

We too love everything else about the Commander, but we aren't interested in purchasing a $40,000 vehicle to have to replace the windshield every year. We are so happy we leased our Commander so that in another 1 1/2 years we can dump it and purchase something else. The resale/trade-in value of Commanders isn't looking great.
  • dexmdexm Posts: 2
    I think they will dnscontinue the commander not becasue of quality issues but becasue of milage and price position. for the money you can get better milage and about the same features in other brands. If my windshield craks again I will sell the thing or trade it in and not wait. I also like everything about the commander except 1) craking windshield cause by tuning on the defrost and 2) gas milage much worse than advertized in city
  • colaugcolaug Posts: 1
    I've had the Commander since January, 2007. In February of 2007, I got my first crack that was a small hole with tiny spider like legs. That was filled at my expense. Now, in January of 2008, I have a crack that is a straight line starting at the top of the windshield and making it's way down. I am going to have to replace the windshield, but am afraid now that I hear of so many who have done so numerous times. Seems like Chrysler should be responsible. Otherwise, I love the vehicle.
  • I feel your pain, I own a 2008 Honda Accord I believe I drive on the worst interstate in this country. I-4 corridor. I travel from Plant City to Tampa every day in and the past year of owning my 2008 Honda Accord, I have been hit with a rock or small stone 4 times. Each of which has crack the windshield. And just this week I will be having to replace the windshield again after getting hit with a rock or stone on 2/20/09. I am beginning to think there is a design flaw in the windshield. You are right the dealer will do nothing but refer you to a windshield repair company and American Honda will do nothing about this as well. I have filed claim with my insurance carrier however by doing so will only increase your rates. And the last repair cost $361.00 for an after market windshield. This can't go on too much longer. Is it the windshield or just bad luck. I have a friend who bought a honda CR-V the same time I bought my car and drives the same roads and he is still on the original windshield.

Tom
    Plant City, FL
2»
This discussion has been closed.