Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vacation Travel Plans, Suggestions, Advice

Where are you planning to go or want to go?

I'm trying to figure out how to swing a family trip to Australia and New Zealand. My in-laws 60th wedding anniversary is in a couple of years and that's one part of the world they've never been to and want to see.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    I want to go to Rome and see all the little bitty minivans navigate the little bitty side streets.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Way back in 1979 I went to Australia for a bit over three weeks. Saw my first minivan before the minivan was supposedly invented. Rode in one actually - a Toyota Hiace.
  • Greece also has lil bitty vehicles, smart cars. They are so small they park a dozen to a block and even up on the sidewalk.
    Is it new? :P
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    When did you go to Greece? I went a few months ago and was there for 18 days. I was amazed at the traffic, I had NO idea! Forget about pedestrian right away!
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    I went in Sept. of 2005. I spent a few days in Athens, then out to the Cyclades for a mega-swim trip before 2 end-cap days in Athens. I had a great time out on the islands, the swimming was great but the wine was pretty bad. By the time I arrived home I had enough feta cheese, eggplant and lamb to last me a lifetime.
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,872
    Any suggestions for spending a couple of days there? Going the 1st week of April.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    .. is one of my familys favorite vacation spots. Planning on going back this summer, about the 4th time. Aside from too many high rise condos and hotels, it is really nice family spot.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Going there for the first fortnight of July. Any suggestion to pay a tourist visit there? Melbourne and whereabouts.

On the other hand, if someone is coming to Madrid, the El Prado Museum has been enlarged. It deserves to be re-visited, not only because of the forever paintings hanged in it but also for the architecture restoration of the buildings added to the old Museum. Mr. Rafael Moneo, a former Pritzker Architecture Prize winner, did the design and lead the works.

Regards,
    Jose
    For a place that's not on the way to anywhere, we keep getting house guests. This past week we had one friend return from a reunion in Ohio who stopped over on his way back to Oregon. A few days before that a couple from Taos rested before driving up to Alaska. The natives are friendly. ;)

If you haven't been to Idaho, you can go from Yellowstone along the Oregon Trail to the capital where I am, or head up into the Sawtooths and try ice skating at Sun Valley, or go further north to the lake country (big Navy submarine base up there - go figure).

Oh yeah, we did get to see a little bitty minivan:

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 892
    How did you like Sedona? We'll be leaving Monday the 11th. We get back late Satuday the 16th then I leave on my GoldWing for a trip to Gatinburg and the Smokey mountains from the 19th through the 24th.
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,872
    Sedona was very nice... Slide Rock State Park is very scenic. Wear your swimsuit.

It is imperative that you get out of the town and into the red rock area. We took a guided Jeep tour, which was pretty cool, but pricy. The Uptown area of Sedona will remind you a little of Gatlinburg, though slightly less tacky.

A good Mexican restaurant in Tlaquepaque (sp?) shopping center, just south of Uptown.. was a good place for dinner.

If you come in from the south, be sure to drive north of town, towards Flagstaff for 10-15 miles, then turn back and come into town from the north. The scenery on that drive is fantastic, driving down into the Oak Creek Canyon.

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Anyone got beach trips planned for this summer? Anyone just completed a beach trip and have any good stories?
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I'm going to Panama City in a couple weeks. I'll bring ya back some shells. :shades:
    My nephew just got back from Destin - really fun area even though it's been years since I've been down that way. Eat something fried from the Gulf for me. :shades:
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    We're doing what may be our last "whole family" vacation as our first daughter has graduated from high school and starts at Penn State in the fall. So after this year she may not think it's cool to vacation with us ;)

We're planning on heading down to DC for a weekend to do the museum and monument thing (we've done it a couple of times already, but we love it)

Then we're swinging across to Lewes, DE to catch the Cape May ferry on our way to Ocean City, NJ. Not being a beach guy, it's fortunate that the friendly confines of the poker room at the Trump Taj Mahal is just 10 miles up the coast :P

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

and another thirty miles up the coast is my house, though this is generally not considered a major vacation destination....
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    OK... another point of interest...

On your left you'll notice the residence of fezo, CarSpace forums denizen and all around good guy. No flash photography please!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

You've got the idea. Drive up to Exit 63 and point west and take a picture.....