Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vacation Travel Plans, Suggestions, Advice

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,087
    Sounds great! We didn't do Out of Africa..

Gee.. now I wish we'd done the trail in our rented Ford Fusion, instead of spending the $200.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 905
    Out of Africa was OK, probably best if you have small children. Ours loved the feeding giraffes, holding the snakes, etc. It was HOT, though. We were supposed to have a Fusion, but they were out. The Mazda5 was pretty decent: lots of room, handled great, sunroof. A little low on power climbing the mountains. I gave the manumatic a good workout.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Just got back from Panama City Beach. Had a great time with the wife and kids. Wife insisted on going July 4th week, as the fireworks on the beach are awesome. But, then you get some knucklheads lighting off large bottle rockets the next 2 or 3 nights up until midnight. As you all know, Jip needs his beauty sleep.

The food was great. I had the grilled grouper at: The Treasure Ship Restaurant, Montego Bay and at Skampies(blackened). Portion at Treasure Ship was small... and thus disappointing. The other 2 restaurants were generous.

My 6 year old son had 7 holes in one playing miniature golf at Coconut Creek. The Gulf World Aquarium was weak and a disappointment ($$$). The Pirate Ship Cruise was great. My son and I teamed up to beat the competition in a go cart race at Emerald Falls.

Next year? Going to try Disney World. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,087
    Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Cleveland..

Anything we shouldn't miss?

On tap:

Buffalo Bisons game (AAA baseball)
    Niagara Falls (duh)
    Indians/Red Sox game
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Family vacation.. me, wife and 13 yr old son.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,903
    I've been to the Shaw Festival in Niagara on the Lake a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The little town itself is trendy with lots of good restaurants, and there's miles of bike trails there too. It's a nice diversion if the touristy stuff at the Falls starts to get to you.

The Martin/Frank Lloyd Wright house in Buffalo is interesting too.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

And you'll feel right at home since there's more people from Illinois than Wisconsinite's.:) Nice area, though, we try to visit once a year.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,344
    87 Octane, Chevron Gas in Blaine, WA = 3.20 (Pacific crossing)
    94 Octane, Husky Gas in Whistler, BC = 4.65

The Blaine gas was substandard quality causing me to top off in Whistler. Averaging in the 94 octane with the so called 87 bought at the border increased the octane in the tank to almost 89 and that stopped the pinging.

At the start of the trip............
    We filled up on the WA side of the Columbia and 87 = 2.79
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    There is no such thing as a vacation in my future. I am looking forward on my next day off to go over the the AACA Museum here in Hershey. AACA Museum Funny, I've lived here in Hershey since '98 and have not yet been in there. :confuse:

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    We drove down to Disneyland. These 2 are pretty much the extend oof my automotive pics. :surprise:

Had to pay my respects to a legend.........Oh and to James Dean too. :shades:
    We'll be going to Vegas in a couple of weeks to see the Wisconsin Badger/UNLV football game. I'm going to rent a car for a day. Any suggestions for things to see? I know there' Hoover Dam, is there any other natural beauty to see that way?

I get a discount through Hertz, almost reserved the Shelby. 100 miles a day won't cut it though. Gonna probably end up with a Focus. :(
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,296
    I just got back from there. We went out to Red Rock Canyon, which is a short drive from town.

I get a discount from Hertz as well, I had an Audi A6 for 2 days, very nice car.
    How much was the A6? I'm looking for something more than just a Focus or whatever, but I don't want a convertible.

A Focus is $50 per day, the Shelby was $150.
    I got the A6 for $95, it was my splurge for the trip as I am not a big gambler Here it is at Red Rock. I believe Hertz rents Volvo S80s out of Las Vegas for something around $85-90 as well, probably a nice ride too.
    Looks nice. I'm not much of a gambler either, I'm going for the Wisconsin Badger-UNLV football game. We have a free day so I think we'll see Hoover Dam and maybe Red Rock.

Just reserved an Infiniti M35. Just over $100.
    Excellent, good luck. I had a fine experience, more or less no wait at the gold club line too.

I saw those M35s, but I have a thing for German cars, so the Audi was the best (affordable - not like the $325 S550 from Dollar) option for me. It should also have Sirius radio and the somewhat weird Hertz navigation included. For someone who likes cars, it is worth it vs the price of a standard car.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,690
    Any plans yet? We went to Australia years ago, big place! It might be better to go to either Australia or NZ, both would be a major trip, lots to see in either one.
  • melaniedmelanied Posts: 1
    Hello all, I have my plans coming up to visit Montreal in the next month. It is a corporate trip and I am in-charge of the arrangements there. We are having a tour of the city and since it is a corporate one, I need to arrange for the accommodations and the cars that would be used for the trip. I need some suggestions on the accommodations and the cars that I need to arrange for the trip. So, please do help me on this.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Heading to Sunset Beach, NC for a family reunion this summer followed by some time at Myrtle Beach.

Saw an advertisement that you can get a free meal plan if you travel to Disney World from mid-August to mid-October. You have to book by early June.
  • john296john296 Posts: 4
    I suppose that it would not be a difficult task for getting the sources that you need for the accommodations and car rentals. My friend was recently there in Montreal and he too had hired some car rental service to tour the place. He was there with his family and so had some long rental ones hired for his tour. You can check out [url=http://www.globarent.com] Globaret.com [/url] for the care rentals that you need for your corporate trip.
    We have top ten lists all over the place here and the Chronic Car posters are debating the merits of Chicago vs Boston and LA. So why not a list of the best big NA cities to visit? No extra points for driving through them.

My list of fun places to spend a few days would run something like:

1. NYC (the performing arts, Central Park, delis)
    2. Mexico City (arts, food, pyramids)
    3. Montreal (cafes, more cosmopolitan than NYC)
    4. San Francisco (scenery, food)
    5. San Diego (weather, zoo)
    6. Anchorage (salmon bakes, mountains, outdoor stuff)
    7. Vancouver (food, the Fringe, scenic, not too far from Victoria and Buchart Gardens)
    8. Seattle (fish, gardens, ferrys)
    9. Chicago (pizza, architecture, American Gothic)
    10. DC (museums, monuments, plus crab cakes up the road in Baltimore)

Also rans - LA for the beaches, Guadalajara for food and music, San Antonio for general ambiance, New Orleans for food, booze and music, Buffalo for Frank L. Wright and proximity to the Shaw Theatre and Niagara Falls.

There's a city list at Mongabay to help jog your memory.

• fezofezo Posts: 9,442
    Wow. Boston doesn't even get an honorable mention. If nothing else it whould win points as the most challenging city to drive in.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,948
    Second that. Skip San Diego and go to Boston. Lots of history, fun place to walk in good weather.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Harvard Square is ok. Maybe it's because of the parking ticket I got there in the 80's that cuts it off my list. That and the traffic (challenging is a good word for it).

We hit a dock on the Charles River for some sunbathing one trip and that was fun hanging out on. Then my wife decided to cool off and jumped in the river and I thought the 20 other people on the dock were going to freak out. If cell phones had been common back then, I'm sure a few would have called 911. We didn't know that the Charles was about as safe to wade in as Love Canal at the time. :P

We spent a few days there on another trip and stayed with an old college roommate of my wife. Her boyfriend almost got into a fight at a fern bar (the roomies old flame showed up and that didn't set well with the current flame).

But those are the kinds of trips you remember.

I need a San Diego fix - haven't eaten at the Hob Nob Hill for years.

Well no argument for eating well, but I find San Diego a 2-day city at best.

• berriberri Posts: 4,268
    I find San Diego a 2-day city at best

I don't know, a couple of Corona's and lot of nice stuff to see lounging on the beach while soaking in the rays! I think I could last more than 2 days there!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,344
    SD must be great since over 55 retired Admirals live on Coronado Island.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,332
    Mexico City (I was there for a couple of days once) and Guadalajara sound interesting, but I imagine they're quite dangerous today, especially if you're a tourist.
    That's because it's a navy town and they feel comfortable with the culture. It's like Old Boys network and all that. Like I said, two days. :P Okay, beach time, three days then. :shades: