Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• bjs77bjs77 Posts: 2
    I just changed tire sizes and need to recalibrate the speedo/odo. Any suggestions for which one I should get? I saw a web site for one where there were like 5 preset programs, (performance, towing, fuel economy,...). I was also wondering why Hypertec has a specific model (30019) for the '03 5.3 when other companies don't. Thanks for your help.
  • stakeoutstakeout Posts: 173
    tried to do a search for this on Edmunds.... zippo..

would like to know if anyone has #'s.. in %... on the amount of Employee discount given on Yukon XL and Chevy Suburban..

are the dealers playing games with the discount like they try to do with the incentives knocking the rebate/incentive off the MSRP rather than off the negotiated price .. then taking the rebates/incentives and minusing the employee discount like it should be done....

I just went to the GM site... their #'s are w/o negotiating price from dealer..

any help appreciated.. :)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,963
    Ask/look over in GMC Yukon XL: Prices Paid & Buying Experience too.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• gh1961gh1961 Posts: 30
    Did you ever find out what the problema was? My ’01 XL does the same exact thing. Thought maybe it was a vacuum leak, bad firmware, or maybe the latest recall from GM re fuel pump. Wanted to email you but link is not available. Mine is though. Please respond.
    It's a feature of our software; if you refresh your browser after posting, you'll get a duplicate post. The only way to avoid it is to use the recent messages link or go elsewhere in the forums and then return to see if you have any replies.

But often you won't know you've reposted if you time out while trying to post. No biggie, people can skip over dupes easily enough and the hosts delete the extras when we see them.

Steve, Host

thanx Steve. The only hit I had on "idle" search was the older one I replied to. Any ideas for a better search?
    Try the Idle or Stalling Problems - All Vehicles discussion.

Steve, Host

• Just picked up a new one with all the bells and whistles and the 20"s! Returning from an 01 Yukon, WOW what a difference. Just as a warning if anyone goes with the Smartbuy, they wait until the end to tell you that it does not include GAP insurance like a lease. Its not a big deal in cost, but it will increase your payment if you choose to get it.

Anyone dealing with the reverse object warning...this vehicle is huge and hard to see backing up. The employee discount is for real and they are taking all GM coupons, cash back rebates, and GM card points with bonuses! It's a great opportunity before the new models come out!

Good Luck!

:)
  • tsandovaltsandoval Posts: 7
    Just purchased our 05 Yukon XL.

We really love it but decided we don't like the second row captain's chairs and want to install a second row bench seat.

Our dealer's parts department will not sell us a bench seat. I am told that it is a snap to mechanically to install the bench seats.

Does anyone know how I can get a new or like new second row bench seat pewter (medium grey) in color for an 05 Yukon XL?

Obviously we would have two captain's chairs in prime condition available after a swap.

Anyone out their that has the second row bench but wishes they had purchased the captain's seats?

Thanks

Thanks
  • jmoralesjmorales Posts: 1
    I have an '03 as well with the exact same problems you have...what have you done since '04? Please let me know ASAP. I am fustrated.

:mad:
  • joe_greenjoe_green Posts: 2
    I have this noise also.. Did you ever find the answer??

j:)
  • joe_greenjoe_green Posts: 2
    Sorry, I didn't realize how far down I was in the thread from the original Whirring Noise Post..

Is there an answer to twatts question below?

"I'm hearing a "whirring" noise above my head, seemingly coming from the little 1-inch plastic circle, directly above the driver's seat in my '01 Suburban LT with auto climate control.

I thought I read here that the little plastic disk was some sort of temperature sensor, but when I mentioned the whirring noise to my technician, he said the little plastic disk was the ON-star speaker and he didn't see how it could make a whirring noise.

I know I've also read about the "whirring" noise coming from above the driver's seat on this forum before ... but can't find it now.

Help! "
  • olysanolysan Posts: 16
    Well i jumped on the employee pricing bandwagon last week, and I love my new Denali. What a sweet vehicle. I'd like to upgrade the dash, possibly a wood kit. Has anyone done this? they didn't have the color I wanted with the nav system, so I might also go with an aftermarket radio/slide out dvd-lcd display any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • edeckmanedeckman Posts: 1
    What options, what MSRP, and final negotiated price before trade. I'm drooling over these XL Denalis but want to be sure I get over on them, not them on me!
    I've been driving a beautiful 99 Express Low-top Conversion for six years and it's always driven/ridden like the TRUCK that it is. Rented an 03 or 04 Suburban in Vegas two years ago for the Grand Canyon/Zion drive and could not believe how sweet that monster truck rode! Now maybe I can have one. Thanks for your input.
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    There are a few vendors that offer dash upgrade kits--it's just a matter of which one offers the best quality and/or price. Also, many dask kits are your typical stick-on overlays; one vendor (phoenix-image.com) uses what's called "hydrographics" to create a design overlay pattern for your dash or other hard surface.

As far as getting a nav unit--depends on whether you prefer aftermarket or OEM; if you want the complete factory OEM look, you can build it piece-meal by buying the necessary parts off Ebay. OTOH--going with aftermarket typically is a less-expensive option, so you could go that route if that is more preferable.
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    I could be wrong but I believe there is a small fan behind that little circle in the headliner, and yes IIRC it is used in conjunction with the automatic climate control. If true, then that fan could very well be the source of the "whirring" noise you hear right above your head; maybe the fan bearings are going bad, thus causing a louder-than-tolerable noise?
  • boricua66boricua66 Posts: 8
    My wife is on a cross country trip. She just went and put gas on my 2005 denali... It started acting up, she had it towed to the dealer and they said the gas tank was full of water. It cost me almost $350 to get it drained and flushed. Of course now the gas station is saying its not their fault. Besides their costumer representative.. who else can I contact to help me with this matter?
    Thanks in advance for any assitance...
  • tireguytireguy Posts: 196
    Has anyone replaced those hideous plastic sidesteps with Westin tubular nerf bars? I'm not really a fan of anything hanging out the side of a truck, whether they be running boards, curb feelers, or drunk passengers. But if I remove them completely I think accessing the roof rack will be a challenge. I like the sport tubes because they're neatly tucked in, but I don't think they allow enough overhang to even step on. I'll probably end up going with the Platinum or Signature series. I'm not even sure if I want the polished stainless or just plain black. I don't want it looking too flashy. I just want a step that won't flex when I stand up there on the forward tip to wash the top of the windshield.

Chris
  • woody555woody555 Posts: 9
    Any one out there from the Rapid City S.D. area? I was just thru there in my 2004 8.1 Yukon Xl and experienced 3 vapor locks,which I was told is common.Has any one else had this problem?
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    Our family was in the area in June when the temperature was in the 90's. We had two adults, our 6 year old son, and our 4 year old daughter with our luggage; not overly loaded down. We stayed at Trout Haven on Hwy 385, and went up to Hill City one day, then Keystone, Mount Rushmore, through Custer State Park, and on to Rapid City the next day. I was even running low on fuel and bought gas where Hwy 16 splits off of 385. No problems, no hesitations.

Now it's true we have the (relatively wimpy) 5.3 liter, so maybe that is the difference...? :confuse:
  • wcoastwcoast Posts: 1
    On June 30, 2005 I purchased a new 2005 Yukon XL Denali with factory installed 20" wheels with P275/55R20 tires. The window sticker says "20" Chrome Aluminum Wheel (Deletes Roof Rail Cross Rails". Web page http://media.gm.com/division/gmc/ says "...To offset the additional vehicle height associated with the 20-inch aluminum cast, chromed seven-spoke wheels, Yukon Denali and Yukon XL Denali models are lowered 20 mm (0.8 inch). ..." Why is it necessary to lower the height 0.8" when, by my calculations: [(20 + 2(.55x275)/25.4) - (17 + 2(.70x265)/25.4)]/2 = 0.15", the 20-inch wheels increased the height only 0.15 inches? Were the cross rails deleted for safety reasons? For cost reasons ($119)? Other? I would appreciate help in answering these questions.

Thank you.

wcoast.
  • Owners of some 2000-05 C/K Utililties may comment that they have a buzz or vibration noise emanating from the headliner in an area that looks like a microphone or speaker.

The round plastic escutcheon grill, about the size of a half dollar and located just above and to the left of the driver, is the interior ambient temperature sensor. The sensor is used in conjunction with the automatic HVAC (CJ2). A small fan pulls air over the sensor. This sensor may make a buzz or rattle sound, and this noise may be intermittent.

Although it may not be possible to eliminate all of the noise from the sensor, if the sensor is installed incorrectly, it may bind and cause the fan to make a buzz noise. While removing the sensor, check for binding. Reinstall the sensor and re-test. If the noise is still present, the sensor itself may be noisy and require replacement.

From GM TECHLINK JULY
  • HOT OFF THE PRESS!

Document ID# 1538353

04 Full Size Trucks and Utilities with VIN G , N , T, V and U Engines May Have a High Altitude, High Ambient Temperature Stall - kw L18 LM7 LQ4 LQ9 LR4 crank DTC fuel hard Hesitate idle #PIP3022A - (Jul 19, 2004)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some 2004 Full Size Trucks and Utilities with VIN G, N, T, V and U engines that were built prior to May 1st, 2004, may stall while driving. Typically, this will occur when the altitude exceeds approximently 5,000 feet above sea level with an ambient temperature of 80 degrees F or greater. The vehicle may set DTCs P0171 and P0174 and exhibit a crank no start, hard start, lack of power or rough running concern until the vehicle cools down.

Recommendation/Instructions:

This PI does not apply to vehicles with the L59 (Vin Z) 5.3L engine. Monitor the fuel pressure during the concern. If this PI applies, the fuel pressure will be lower than specification during the concern. If the fuel pressure is low, perform the SI fuel system diagnosis during the concern. If the SI diagnostics isolate a fuel pump module concern, there is an updated fuel pump module available to address this concern. Specific part numbers may be assigned to these updated fuel pump modules in the future. For right now, if the current part number from the parts catalog has a date code of 0834 or newer, it is the updated fuel pump module and should be installed. It may be necessary to open a SPAC case to obtain one of these fuel pump modules.

Note: The Fuel Pump Module Date Code will be on top of the fuel pump module, just below the bar code and production part number. The date code will be a 4 digit number with the first 3 digits being the day of the year and the 4th digit being the year. So a date code of 0834 would translate to the 83rd day of 2004.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(04 Chevrolet Silverado C1, C2, C3, K1, K2 and K3 ) and (04 Chevrolet Suburban C1, C2, C3, K1, K2 and K3) and (04 Chevrolet Tahoe C1 and K1) and (04 Chevrolet Avalanche C1, C2, K1 and K2) and (04 GMC Yukon C1, C2, C3, K1, K2 and K3 ) and (04 GMC Sierra C1, C2, C3, K1, K2 and K3) and ( 04 Cadillac EXT C6 and K6) and ( 04 Cadillac Escalade C6 and K6) and ( 04 Hummer H2)
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 512
    That's not true that they no longer offer memory seats, we just went shopping this weekend and there were several with and a few without the memory function.

I was recently assigned a company car (free gas, insurance, maintenance, and personal miles), so we were able to trade in both our old vehicles (Mitsubishi Outlander and Nissan Quest) and get the gigantic SUV my wife has always wanted. And a lower payment to boot. Gas will be more, but insurance will be less. Overall we'll be saving quite a bit.

Started out looking at Suburbans. For some reason, Yukon XL is a little less expensive when comparably equipped. However, Tahoe is quite a bit less than regular Yukon comparably equipped. Go figure. Must be some marketing thing. At any rate, I'll take the lower price, and in fact I think the Yukons are better looking with the single piece grill, and more chrome trim, less rubber trim, as well as being a little less common.

We ended up with a 2005 SLT, black with tan leather. I was okay with the standard features and cloth seats - in fact I thought the front bench would be cool, but SLT with leather and front buckets is required to get the second row captain chairs. We had the 2nd row buckets on our minivan and wouldn't go back to a bench seat, having to flip and fold seats to get a kid into the back row. I was hesitant about the black exterior, but I could not find any others in the Dallas area with the features I wanted, i.e. the power pedals. I am 6'3", my wife is 5'2", adjustability is a good thing. Memory would have been nice, as well as the power lumbar and XM radio, but I did not want to upgrade to the next trim level up from here (1SD package, I think). Plus if I get my own XM radio with an FM modulator, I can use it in the XL or the company car (on which I am expected to put 10,000 business miles per year). Power pedals are only $120, but there were no others out there with that stand-alone option. Actually there was a red one out there, but it had the gray interior which I don't care for. Another thing about the black paint that I have come to appreciate is that it disguises those cheap looking black plastic D-pillar applique's. So I think it will be worth the extra effort to keep it clean. And it looks like a Secret Service vehicle... Anyway, ours also came with the 17" wheels, white-letter tires, CD changer, tinted front windows, and trailer package - all things that I didn't "need", but they are nice, and current rebates made it affordable.

No DVD or video games, I expect my boys to play road trip games and take naps and read books like I did when I was a kid. If I'm wrong, we could easily add aftermarket...

150 miles on the meter and we are having a ball. Taking it easy during the break in period, but loving the great visibility and surprisingly decent handling. Already got a chrome exhaust tip, just for looks. I'm not going to "pimp my ride", but a couple of things here and there will be fun. I'll be looking for a receiver hitch bike rack, and a K&N filter soon.

Of course as one member posted a while back, having a big honkin' SUV like this makes you want more toys. I am certainly no Eagle Scout, but I have this urge for camping and fishing gear, kayaks, boats, etc.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    Congratulations! I think you'll really like the YXL. Wait until vacation and you can buy pretty much anything you want and carry it home with you inside the vehicle. Of course, depending on your spouse's spending habits/desires that might not be a good thing!?! ;)

I share your attitude about kids participating in the trip rather than essentially remaining in a traveling version of the family room. That does require the adults to actually interact with their kids, which I realize (in this age of deflected-responsibility) is a major strain for some. :cry: :P

But, should you have the overwhelming need to anesthetize your children with video, they have an under-$300, two-screen, hangs-on-the-back-of-the-front-seats DVD player at Sam's Club that should do the trick (and allow storing the demon device away when familial interaction is desired).

Enjoy! :)
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 512
    My new XL didn't come with the tow hooks that protrude through the front bumper. Would it be pretty simple to add them myself, or should I have the dealer do it for me? They were only a $39 option, or so, but didn't come on the one I just bought. I have a 2WD, and am worried about getting stuck in the sand at the beach (this happened in my old minivan - very embarrassing). Also someone mentioned slick boat ramps about 1,000 posts ago, which I had not considered. I don't even have a boat yet, but I imagine I may need to be rescued some day.
  • nifflerniffler Posts: 2
    Did you ever get the electric brake installed on your 2003 Yukon XL. I just bought one and need to install an electric brake. Is it a do it yourself job or should I pay someone to do it? Did the harness come with the vehicle? Where did you find the box with the 6 pin recepticle? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Niffler
  • tireguytireguy Posts: 196
    Come on guys, somebody out there must have replaced the plastic side steps with something a little more sporty. Speak up, non-posting lurkers. Not a lot of bolt-on aftermarket upgrades being discussed in this forum. Am I the only one here under 30? I won't even ask about forced induction for the 5.3L. It's amazing how stagnant this thread is for such a popular vehicle.