Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• My wife has driven all three. She likes the Suburban as do I, we just want to make sure we are not going to be surprised and or miss something. I like the extra room behind the rear seat, I read an article that basically said that no rear seat is safe, but I think Suburban is probably the safest. I appreciate everyones help.

For the guy looking for info on Advertising fees look at it this way if you are paying MSRP and it is on the Window Sticker its probably legit. If you are paying X over invoice and its on the invoice its probably legit. And you are agreeing to pay X over Invoice. If it is not listed I wouldn't pay it.
  • If you compare all three rear seats, the sub has far more room. I feel complete comfortable having my kids in the 3rd row.
    Besides, you wouldn't want to try the safety features of you new rig, away.
    On a recent trip of 2300 miles at 70 to 75 I got 17.5 mpg.
    2001 Sub 4x4 5.3L 4:10
  • My front heater for my 2002 Yukon XL heats air only at the highest setting, 82 degrees, or if all windows were open at freeway speeds when not in auto mode. Otherwise, cool air would be present regardless of the temperature selected. The only way to regulate the air temperature in the front cabin is to set the heater at 82 degrees until the inside temperature is comfortable, then turn the heater off until it becomes too cold, then turn the heater on again, etc. This causes constant drivers distraction in order to regulate cabin temperature. Rear heater works as normal. Manufacturer states the climate control system is operating as designed and refuses to correct the problem. Manufacturer is stating that even when the climate control system is taken out of auto mode, the system will still regulate temperature, therefore cool air may be present. I have never owned a vehicle in which the climate control system cannot be turned off and used as a manual heater/AC system if desired. My dealer states other owner's of 2002 Yukon's have complained about the same issue. Dealer also states the 2001 used a different climate control system and 2003 are fully digital, so the complaints are only for 2002 models. Has anyone else noticed the same problem?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    The temperature of the air that comes out depends on the inside cabin temperature except when it is in the warmest or coolest setting. So, if the cabin is warm and you set the temperature on 80, cool air will come out. If the cabin is cool, warm air will come out.

I do have an 01, but I have never seen an automatic climate control function differently. If yours doesn't work that way, you have a problem.
  • Djolley: Even though the Suburban might have slightly more leg-room in the 3rd seat area, the Excursion has substantially more cargo space than the Suburban. The Expedition has perhaps enough cargo space for a 6-pack and a ham sandwich with the 3rd seat in. Also, if you are towing, the Excursion has a diesel engine available. The point being, don't overlook the Excursion, I think it has 10-inches more wheelbase than the Suburban. I bought the Suburban because it was smaller than the Excursion and I do a lot of city type driving and also I was concerned it would not fit in the parking garage where I work.
  • Gottagetaburb: The ad fees do show up on some versions of the invoice. I know because I have one that shows two items: (1) Dealer Co-Op Advertising $460 and (2) Local Advertising and Marketing $130. That works out to less than 1.5% of the total vehicle invoice before adding shipping. As I understand it, the only people who don't pay advertising are current and retired GM employees. Keep in mind that this advertising stuff is in addition to the holdback and something called the "wholesale finance credit."
    I looked at an Excursion when we got our YXL. No comparison. The GM products were much more polished. The rode better and drove better.
  • We just traded a 1999 Durango that we bought new for a used 2001 Suburban and would never go back. The Dodge was a total POS and the dealers were often times worse. While we owned the Dodge (50K miles total) we had to replace the battery five times, the water pump twice, the power seat track, window motors twice, the washer pump, a blown freeze plug (how does this happen??) and was told that the balljoints were shot and that the transfer case was leaking. This car stranded either me or my wife and the kids on four different occasions and had to be towed each time. I had a dealer once tell me that even though it was under warranty they wouldn't fix a problem, but after I made a few idle threats they did and of course it resolved the issue we were having. Once it was out of warranty Dodge could not have cared less and hung us out to dry. It's funny but I could have lived with the truck even after all this if Dodge had put a little bit of effort into standing behind their product and helping us out with the repair bills. It was my first Dodge and it will be my last. I pity the fool who buys that Durango we traded in and I pity anyone who buys a new one. Pay attention to what the reliability reports and consumer ratings tell you. They don't suck for no reason.
  • Do not pay those fees, if they want to sell the car they will come off of these fees. They will give you grief about the fees saying that they have to pay the bills each month for lighting and blah blah blah. I have never and will never pay that type of fee. As far as I am concerned take it out of the holdback.
    Anyone saying that you should pay them is a car salesman or dealer.
  • Just read that you shaved time off your record. Congratulations.

Safe Driving,
    Cathy
  • Finally had a chance to sit down with a local dealer yesterday. I proposed paying invoice (which includes a 2% advertising fee) minus half the holdback. The rep was very nice & I could see he was eager to do the deal. But of course "I have to go talk to my manager". Right. Over comes the manager. I restate my offer. You'd think I told the manager I was gonna take his wife, child, dog and favorite easy chair! He started whining about how last year he could get $1500-$2500 over invoice on Suburbans, how his comptroller would never accept a deal like that, that there's no way he's dipping into the holdback on a Suburban, blah, blah, blah. And he got up and walked away. I could almost hear him cursing the internet as he went back to his desk.

Surprising, to say the least. Seems like he's not aware of a)the state of the economy, b) GM's long string of poor results & gloomy outlook (http://biz.yahoo.com/n/g/gm.html), or c) that he had to do essentially nothing but take my order & take the plastic off the seats when the truck arrived to make a decent profit. Instead he chose to piss me off.

With dealers treating internet-savvy buyers like this, it's no wonder GM's market share & profits are falling.

Oh well, there's 5,273 other Chevy dealers to talk to...
  • Why don't you try the northeast area. I see ads for subs at 36,699.00. That for a 2003 4x4 1500 LT. The dealer is www.quirkcars.com.
    I don't know what price you were quoted, But it might be worth the trip.
    Good luck
  • I saw ads in the Washington Post this weekend for $8000 off sticker on suburbans (or was it Yukon XL's). Anyway, those prices are plus freight and processing fees. Also, on Friday, GM extended it's 0% financing to 60 months because of overstocks on SUV's. I would call the dealer with the cranky sales manager back and reiterate the offer. After all, after you buy the vehicle, you don't have to communicate with the sales department any more. I take delight in pissing them off.
  • '01 - YXL Does anyone have any suggestions for floor mats/protection? The front seats aren't really a problem - but I have the second row captain's seats and have been looking(without any luck) for a mat that covers the center isle as well as in front of the third row bench seat. Currently, I am using a homegrown version and the mats seem to scatter when the rugrats rush the isle to see who can get to the back seat first............thanks:)
  • sotexsotex Posts: 4
    Anyone know what kind of gas mileage I can expect. Also, if anyone knows what a competitive price might be for a 2002 Suburban 2500 4wd LT with 7,000 miles I would appreciate it. Thanks
  • The Cabelas catalog (www.cabelas.com) has a wide selection of floormats. However, I have not seen anything that covers the space between the two center row captains chairs.
    There does exist a mat that covers that area, but I don't remember where I saw it (not much help). I did not pay much attention because I have the bench.
  • I ordered a one piece mat back in early '01 for our YXL that covers the second row bucket seats, the center aisle and the third row area. It has worked great with 3 kids. I'll check my file tonight at home and see where I got it from. I'll also search my previous posts as I remember discussing the purchase with someone else on edmunds at the time.

FOUND IT: http://www.premiermotoring.net/cgi-bin/webc.exe/suburban_new.html?sid=2cGKfU0X92dz11X-34102528058.66

I got the PM3200 from Premier Motoring Accessories. They will send you cloth samples to pick the color you want/need.
  • joeh7joeh7 Posts: 4
    I have owned a brand new 03 Yukon XL for about three weeks and have driven it 2,223 miles. The ride is terrible compared to my 99. I sold my gorgeous 99 to a friend and would re-verse the transaction in a second if I could. I know the experts will tell you that they added this suspension bar and that spring etc etc. but I am here to tell you I feel like I am driving an explorer and not the awesome 99 suburban that I use to drive. The entire vehicle feels light, cheap and I feel most bumps way more than I should. I owned my 99 for four years and it was the best vehicle with the best ride that I have ever had. I am afraid the next time around I will shop the competition. THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU SELL OLD SUBURBAN.
  • Thank You, Thank You & Thank You!