Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• bigc113bigc113 Posts: 5
    infomercial on tv about hurricane systemintroduced into air intake hose or on top of carb. anyone out there used this product or know anyone who has?
  • Maybe the 2002 Z71 pricing on Edmunds and Webcarbook is incorrect. I priced a 2002 Z71 at Chevy Car Prices and it is within a few hundred dollars of the 2001 prices (the same as the other 2002 models).

Brian

• btenbten Posts: 28
    I think the early numbers were wrong. I just checked webcarbook again. the Z71 is about $700 more.
  • cat1iacat1ia Posts: 16
    Thanks for the website. Yes this it. I am looking now since GM has offered incentives of low APR in my area (Columbus, Ohio).
  • jleinenjleinen Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Chevy is going to offer the Z71 trim on the K2500?
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    there has never been a Z71 pkg on a 2500 (truck or burb) and their probably never will

Buy the skid plate pkg and get some good shocks and then add some stickers and you will be set
  • sims57sims57 Posts: 1
    I discovered that my 2001 'burb 5.3 is using about 3.5 qts of oil in 6000 mi. Dealer says that it may be within normal limits, but he started an oil consumption test, just to get it on record. GM says acceptable consumption is 1 qt. every 2000 mi. Owner's manual says you can go up to 7000 mi or more between changes. I can see why. At this rate of usage, theoretically you would never need an oil change! Anyone else having the same experience?
    "GM says acceptable consumption is 1 qt. every 2000 mi"

"3.5 qts of oil in 6000 mi. Dealer says that it may be within normal limits"

within normal limits? What kinda math is your dealership doing

6K miles = 3 qts

you said its using 3.5 so that means it 0.5 qts over

Better tell them to go back to freshman math
  • I just returned from a 2200 mile trip from Florida up through Augusta GA, North West through S.C./N.C./VA/WVA into Eastern Kentucky and SE Ohio. We pulled a Sunnybrook Camper that weighed in at around 7000 LBS. Although I had a 4.10 rear end, an upgrade from 245 to 265 Michelin 16
    " tires cut the ratio to about 3.93, and I feel did effect the performance. After the first tank of Gas in Georgia, I stopped using the cruise control. I tried to keep my speed in the 55 to 65 MPH, speeding up, down hill to make the next hill, some times hitting 75 down hill and throttle floored, first gear and 48 MPH on long 4 to 5% grades. Having not towed through the mountains before, I did not know what to expect. Taking speedometer 4% error in effect, at times I was disappointed and at other times I felt we were doing real well. On lesser hills and with a good down hill start, I might make the next hill in OD. On the other hand the truck seemed to perform better if I kept the RPM above 2000 RPM and best at 2500 to 3500 RPM. Only a couple of times did my transmission get over the mid mark and most of the time was just below that mark. Engine temperature stayed very close to normal most of the time. Gas mileage went 7.9 worst to 8.8 MPG best, with an adverage of 8.5 MPG I was in First gear three or four times, 2nd quite a bit and overdrive downhill and later on lesser hills. The trip back was through Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Tenn., Knoxville and Chattanooga mountains. With about 4800 miles, oil is still on the full mark. Surprising, since I used a quart in the first 2500 miles. Must have broke it in right? Most hills, I would gain speed in 2nd, hold or gain some in 3rd. Over flatter terrain, I could hold overdrive on over passes and smaller hills. How would you rate this performance through the mountains, compared to say the 8.1 engine, or the Ford diesel, I'm thinking of getting to pull a 5th wheel. Chevy is still too proud of their Diesel to get competitive. Thanks for any input, (if you got this far). Skipjack2
  • Can someone advise on what the difference the gas mileage might be with a 2001 Suburban 5.3L with a 3.73 rear axle vs. a 4.10 rear axle? (That is while not towing)
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Posts: 462
    skipjack2: Sounds like pretty good performance overall on your trip. Although I'm abit surprised by the gas mileage, seems low based on my experience with a 6000lb boat/trailer on a trip I made this summer. Steep grades in Western Pa in a Denali XL over a 5 hour trip and I averaged about 10mpg on the trip computer. Is your vehicle a 3/4 ton Sub (Yuk XL) with the 6.0L or a Denali XL, which also has the 6.0L, but on the 1/2 ton chassis?
  • Just traded my 2000 1/2 ton 4x4 burb for the 2001 3/4 ton 4x4 yukon xl. I am looking to replace the dainty tires on the new beast. The stock 245/75/16 look like tiny little donuts. Does anyone know how big you can go WITHOUT a lift? Getting all sorts of stories from the local tire guys.
    265's safely

285's iffy

I have 285's on my 1500 silverado with no clearance problems

Ryan
    Just purchased a 2001 Yukon XL with Firestone Tires. Does anyone know if these tires where part of the recall with the Suburbans on the 2000 models? Or has anyone pressed the issue with requsting the dealer to exchange the tires for G/Y or Mich. tires? ANy help would be great.
  • mike346mike346 Posts: 5
    We just returned from a trip pulling a 28' Prowler weighing about 7000lbs with our '01 YXL 3/4, 4x4, 6.0L & 4.10 rearend. We traveled from Maryland up through PA, across the turnpike through OH and up in to MI. I was pretty impressed with the way we were able to handle the grades going through PA, I was able to keep it above 55mph the whole way. The mileage was from 8.01 to 9.6 for the entire trip.
  • ecc1ecc1 Posts: 11
    Anybody know what changes were made on the 2002's?
    Has anyone used the GMS discount for purchasing a GM vehicle? I think I am eligible for this discount since my employer supports GM. I have submitted for the form 1753. After talking to GM help desk, they said the dealer holds the magical number for the predetermined price of the vehicle. Which is 4% over what a GM employee would purchase for the vehicle out of dealer stock. If anyone is interested here is the website https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/index.html
    "vehicle out of dealer stock"

You can also use the supplier deal for vehicles you order
    Does anyone have any experiences with DVD entertainmant centers for Yukon XL? Looking for what is available. I have no sunroof with rear Climate controls.
    cat1ia: I used the GMS program as my company supplies to GM. Easy process and it resulted in a a price for a 2001 Denali XL of about $200 under factory invoice. The employee price is about 4% under factory invoice, therefore the Supplier price, which is the employee price plus 4% should net you out around the factory invoice. Good luck!
    Thanks for your input.. Does the dealer and only the dealer know the GMS price? SOunds like I have to take his word on it?
    The dealer is the only one with access that I know of, however if you have a good relationship with your salesman, he/she should have no problem with you looking over their shoulder while they look up the pricing on the computer. Typically it varies across different GM models and for example is not available on the Vette.
  • j2smellj2smell Posts: 13
    Just got a 200l Yukon XL.I can't believe GM redesigned this vehicle with such a cheap sounding stereo. I would rather have had the spare inside and the larger fuel tank instead of the subwoofer. Otherwise it is an excellent vehicle. Has anyone done any sound upgrade or modifications using stock system?
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Just arrived in PA from Maine - 400 miles - in our 95 Chevy Suburban. With the wife and 3 kids spread out throughout the cabin, luggage easily stowed in the back, dual A/C cranked, you just can't beat this vehicle for family travel! Granted it's not a new one, and does have 76K on the ticker now - but what a great vehicle! The wife will drive around to see our various friends in the area while I work in my office here for a few days as usual each month - then head back to Maine/NH again - and get reimbursed $0.33 per mile. I usually bring the family once or twice a year (drive my '00 Bonneville the other times) - and the Burb does the job every time.

Gotta love it!

Ken
  • gmusic7gmusic7 Posts: 42
    just finished a 4 day weekend to LA with 7 people. i originally rented a dodge grand caravan to fit everyone and everything for 4 days. the rental agency told me that the grand caravan broke down on someone else on the way back and there were no other vans available. at first they offered me a ford expedition...room for 7 but no room for baggage. then i saw the suburban. room for everyone and everything!!! i knew we were going to suffer on poor gas mileage but oh well. some of the passengers being 5'0" to 5'2" had fun climbing on board. the lack of running boards didn't help so they just made fun of the situation

at first i complained of it's huge size and weight. but after spending a couple of days driving the "beast" i actually miss it now.

a couple of complaints:

- the stereo speakers were poor. i don't know if all the speakers were even working though.

- the rear window wasn't working. this is probably a very abused rental

- with 7 people and 4 days of baggage, the 5.3 liter seemed to lack a little bit of power on long climbs.

- poor gas mileage of course but it's expected.

positives:

- it's hulking size!!! 8-) i wasn't abused much on the LA freeways as long as it wasn't fully loaded.

- great interior space.

- great vision looking over most other cars

we had a great weekend over all!!! everyone was happy with the roominess of the vehicle.
  • elgato88elgato88 Posts: 10
    According to GM Web site:

New For 2002

Additions to standard LS trim
    Heated, outside rearview mirrors with self- dimming driver side
    Six-way power driver and passenger seats
    Side-step assist steps
    Electric rear-window defogger
    Fog lamps
    HomeLink Universal transmitter
    Vortec 5300 V8 capability for regular and ethanol-content fuel
    Electronic climate control available with sunroof
    Redfire Metallic exterior color available on LT model with body-color components
    Discontinuation of base trim
  • mpitzer1mpitzer1 Posts: 11
    The GM employee pricing, as heatwave mentioned, varies by model. On the Sub/XL the empolyee price is, IIRC, 84.5% Base MSRP + 83% option MSRP + 100% destination charges if you take from stock(on ordered unit it is 83% (Base + Options) + 100% destination . To that you would have to add the 4% (I would guess of the MSRP w/o dest.) to get to the GMS pricing.

They used to publish the employee pricing in a book that was available to employees. To my knoweledge they do not do this anymore. I figured the above numbers by working backwards for several units I had them quote both off the lot and as an order. These numbers were true as of Jan. for 2001 models and may have changed for 2002 models, but highly unlikely because these numbers are very close to what they were in 1997.
  • It looks like you are right. No more two Suburbans for $45k. I was looking forward to another couple in 2006.
    Glad I got them while I could.
  • cat1ia-

We had an Alpine in-dash DVD player installed in our '01 Suburban (no sunroof, rear air climate control) immediately after we picked it up in Aug. 2001. We have a 7" overhead LCD screen that was installed where the rear climate control was. The new console incorporates the climate control. Everything looks and works great. Within a month of install, we travelled from Indiana to Orlando with three kids under 5 and didn't hear "are we there yet" once. Well, worth the price ($3,000, which at the time nearly gave me indigestion). I requested that the player be installed where the CD holder was below the tape deck. Very nice since the lid covers the DVD player and keeps it out of sight. Otherwise, it would have replaced the tape deck which removes the rear audio functionality. Very happy with the setup. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck!
  • gpvsgpvs Posts: 214
    Can you post the pictures for your setup?

TIA.