Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 vs MB M Class vs Acura MDX vs Lexus RX 350 vs BMW X5 vs Cadillac SRX

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Doesn't the X5 come standard with a more sophisticated stability and traction control system, cornering brake control, dynamic brake control, Hill-Descent plus steptronic on the auto tranny? Those must account at least for part of the price difference.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    That the X5 is the best of the lot, the VERY best!

RWD biased, stability control, HID, etc.

Just a real shame it's made by BMW and not Toyota and costs too much.
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Did Acura really add head-protection air bags to the 2003's (in the form of an enlarged side airbag, ala the Rendezvous, Forester, etc.)? Is there a link to this information? The only picture I could find on the Acura website makes it look like the side airbags are still the old-fashioned ones that only cushion your abdomen, and not your head.

The MDX probably won't get side-curtain airbags until the 2004 or 2005 model year. Honda finally has the technology now, starting with the 2003 Accord and 2004 TSX.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    wwest - Hi Willard, long time no see! Actually the MDX now has stability control which was added in an attempt to correct for severe oversteer at the limit and also to catch up to marketing trends established by BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. No doubt, however, that on any road, the X5 is dynamically superior to the MDX.

wmquan - You're right, the MDX's side airbags still offer no head protection. Of course, now that the market leaders have them, Honda/Acura will no doubt follow suit, as usual.

hopeitsfriday - I priced out a BMW X5 3.0 with automatic and moonroof and got a TMV of $41,800. The TMV I got for an Acura MDX Touring is $39,800...that's only a $2000 difference.
  • I didnt go by TMV, instead I use the MSRP. I think we all know that the TMV is not always right. I know for a fact that there is very little negotiation room on both SUV and I dont think anyone is still paying a premium over MSRP for the MDX.
    I price out an X5 with the premium package, dakota Leather Upholstery, auto transmission, cold weather and climate package. The MSRP for X5 with the equipment mentioned above is: $48,170, and $38,800 for the MDX touring.
    As you can see, still about a $10,000 difference.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    hopeitsfriday,

Re: Post #455.

"the MDX had more space, better gas mailage, better reliability and I think the MDX is safer because its a bigger SUV."

Flawed thinking my friend. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean safer. Also, I'm sure the BMW is heavier, which matters more. You know about a little thing called Momentum? Also if I was buying a SUV with safety being the one and only criteria, I would jump on a X5 since despite what you say, the X5 does have head airbags and the MDX surely does not.

So, what happens if somebody doesn't need all the space the MDX offers? Is the MDX still a better SUV? Or what if one values handling in a SUV over space? Is the MDX still the better SUV? How about someone who want's more safety equipment? is the MDX still the better SUV?
  • Yes, I do know about Momentum, but in this case, weight is not really an issue. The MDX's curb weight is 4473, while the X5 comes in at 4533. A difference of 60 pounds, all things considered, it weights the same. If one SUV is safer than another, it not by much, they are both safe SUVs.
    If I was buying a SUV with safety being the one and only criteria, the XC90 is prabably safer than both of these SUV.
    If you doesn't need all the space and values handling over space? Then you should consider a 318XI, its got the same 4WD system as the X5 and its a bit sportier and also a bit cheaper.
  • adp3adp3 Posts: 446
    how will the SRX compare to the X5? It won't be as light or nimble as a 318xi, but it should be lighter than an X5

probably lighter than an XC90

Will it handle better?

How has Cadillac reliability been? As good as BMW? As good as the MDX?

I could buy a Rendezvous with the new engine, and just a buy a new one when I got tired of it or the handles started falling off, and STILL not spend what an X5 costs.
    The Premium package costs $4000! Does anyone really need power rear seatbacks, poplar wood trim, and power passenger seat?

Instead, get an X5 with leatherette (the MDX seats are mostly vinyl, after all) and get the specific options you want a la carte.
  • overtime1overtime1 Posts: 134
    Or what if one values handling in a SUV over space?

Then you buy a wagon that handles well - WRX comes to mind. Half the price of the 3.0 X5, same (or more) cargo space, and demolishes the X5 in speed and handling (and mileage). Downsides - not as lux and ride height isn't there. If you want lux go Audi S4 for a lot more money and then you are only trading off ride height and a nice looking emblem (not that Audi's isn't nice).

Interesting tradeoffs if handling is your thing.

OT
    hopeitsfriday,

First you say the MDX is safer due to size, then you say they are basically both the same in terms of size? Make up your mind.
  • maxhonda99: I said I thought the MDX is safer in my opinion because its bigger, and its just my opinion. I never said the X5 was the same size as the MDX, its obviously not, what I did say was that they weight about the same, and if one vehicle is safer than another, its not by much.

fedlawman: Come on lawman, vinyl seats on a BMW, not a chance in hell would I settle for that.
    Anyway, we were comparing similarly equipment X5 and MDX, and the MDX comes with most of the options on the X5's Premium package, also alot of the options on the Premium package cannot be brought via a la carte.
    "vinyl seats on a BMW, not a chance in hell would I settle for that."

But you settled for vinyl in your Acura? Don't worry, I won't tell your friends...

"we were comparing similarly equipment X5 and MDX"

There is no such thing because both vehicles have mutually exclusive options. Adding the $4000 premium package simply adds more stuff that the MDX doesn't have. Better to say that the MDX and X5 (without Premium package) are comparably equipped, and leave it at that.

Of course, saavy enthusiasts like us choose a car for the way it performs, not because it has headlight washers, right?.
  • Only you would spend $45000 on a car and go cheap on the seats.
    I am doing my best to compare similarly equipment X5 and MDX. why compare both based models when it is obvious that they are not equivalent. why not compare top of the line then? My point is, there is no way we can match up every option exactly, but the comparison I used was pretty close. BTW weren't you the one that was comparing a based MDX with the loaded Buick RDV on the other forum?
    "Only you would spend $45000 on a car and go cheap on the seats."

I guess I simply don't sweat trivial details...
    hopeitsfriday,

How did fedlawman go cheap when he spent $45K?

It would seem to me more like you went cheap. Especially considering your MDX is cheaper and you are the one who's constantly complaining about how much more expensive the X5 is over the MDX.
    You still haven't told me why the vinyl that covers about 75% of the MDX's seats is acceptable to you...
  • As they say fedlawman, its where the rubber meets the road that counts. As long as the seating surface is made from the leather, then its all the same to me. Besides almost all manufacturers use other material for trims, mostly due to cost reasons. Only cars in the real high price would consider using seats make from all high grade leather.
    hopeitsfriday,

Now it's not the features that matter but "its where the rubber meets the road that counts."

fedlawman has a great point. Honda/Acura tells you it's leather seating surface, but even alot of that leather seating surface is not really leather. for example, I know on my Accord, the side bolsters, the headrests are not covered in leather. Even though Honda says Leather trimmed interior on seating surfaces. And the TSX I drove a couple of days ago seems to be the same way-very little of the seats is actually leather.
    Let's not forget the fake plasti-wood that really does look fake that covers the dash on a MDX.
  • email77email77 Posts: 27
    Boys after I read the entire message about MDX/X5. It don't matter at all, as long as you like the car and the price you paid for. Just enjoy it after all. Don’t compare it. that is no ending no winner. As a consumer we are all looser. you may not agreed, that is O.K. as long as you like your dream car that is matter. hope reading more about some interesting thing in the future