Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 vs MB M Class vs Acura MDX vs Lexus RX 350 vs BMW X5 vs Cadillac SRX

Comments

• wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Besides looking at the FX, perhaps the RX400h merits a look? I haven't driven one, but supposedly it launches very strongly from a standing stop. This due to the hybrid powertrain's electric motors which provide immediate, full torque
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "...it surprises me that you feel that the MDX could pull in to traffic as quickly as the X5 auto".

You may be right after all. I was driving our MDX yesterday and paid particular attention as to how it performed from a dead stop and the acceleration does lag a bit below 2,000 rpm. After about 15-20 mph, it takes off nicely. But I'll take your word that for your driving requirements, the BMW may feel more confident from a dead stop.

I have a suggestion for you too: go for the 911 unless your wife will be driving it a lot,

Didn't quite understand how my wife's driving figures into it?
  • It is just my opinion but the 911 has a much more manly look about it. Then again if you like the look of the Boxster who cares, after all I drive a minivan too!

Also, compare the Boxster S and the 911 Turbo S Cab, no comparison!

Either one you get congratulations, very nice cars.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    safeperfsnowsu, don't get into any discussion involving habitat's wife's driving skills/style. Don't even hint that her skills may be less than his. Don't even joke about it. That, apparently, is a taboo subject!
    Pay no attention to bodble2, joke away all you want!!

Not to stray too far off topic, but the 2005 Boxster S and 911 (997 model) share the same chassis and a lot of other components, so I don't see that big of a "manly" appearance difference between the two. And I'll blame my daughters for buying it in Speed Yellow, if anyone challenges my male ego. Regarding the 911 Turbo S Cab, it's still the old 996 body and interior. I'll take the new 997 Cabriolet S and nearly match the performance, with a much nicer interior, while saving about $45k.

Back on topic and the SUV front, perhaps you should try the Cayenne TT? One dealer I visited has a 2005 demo w/ 3000 miles for $79k. I am not sure it would be any more reliable than the Mercedes M class, but you certainly won't be lacking for "dead stop oomph".
  • I have a 5 year old daughter who wants us to paint the minvan pink (NEVER going to happen) so I empathize completely!

Cayenne seats are not that comfortable and the ride is too stiff for a daily commute, also cargo space is sorely lacking + the terrible MPG.

The more I think about it I may not be able to achieve what I want with one auto:combination of minvan type cargo space, good performance commuter, and winter reliability. The merc was great but frankly even its cargo space leaves a bit to be desired and I would have to go with the external bike rack that mounts to the trailer hitch for the bikes rather than just being able to throw them in the back like I do with the minivan. Also the Merc with all the options I would like doesn't offer much value and that's without even considering the potential reliability problems and the high cost a Merc would extract for regular upkeep.

So now I am thinking that perhaps I will be better off getting a late model used MDX to replace the minvan (for hiking/biking etc) and also to do commuter duty in the winter months when there is snow on the ground (when initial pick up is not really the issue that it is when roads are snow free most of the year) and just get a safe high performance sedan or wagon with decent gas mileage as the daily commuter, no need for AWD as I will have the MDX for those few weeks or month a year when it is needed. Question is, are there any sedans or wagons out there that are as safe as the MDX, X5, or M series Merc particularly when sustaining a side impact by an SUV?
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    i doubt it, though id suggest either an audi or a volvo. never drove a volvo, but audi is a nice and decently safe car. i used to drive an a4, it took a direct hit from a tacoma like a tank, though i doubt you can call a tacoma a truck...

btw seems like we both think that cay's ride is harsher than the x5, some people dont agree though...

im now considering an x5 or a range rover, still trying to make up my mind :)
    It sounds like you have had a premonition of getting T-boned by an SUV?? Hopefully this isn't post tramatic stress from a prior incident.

I think a BMW 5-series is going to be about as safe as any sedan out there. And it should be of some comfort that a 2005 model would be significantly safer than anything 5-10 years old, both in its ability to sustain and impact and its ability to avoid one (thanks to stability control, anti lock brakes, etc.).

P.S. If I continue to read about your concerns regarding the safety of a full size sedan vs. an SUV, I'm never going to pull the trigger on a Boxster or 911!!
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    safety is more about the driver than the cars imo. but i can understand his concerns. 2 of the cars ive owned before got hit by a truck. first one was my audi a4, got hit by a tacoma, luckily the kids parents offered to pay for all repairs. i wasnt very lucky with my 330i though, it was totaled by a chevy s10, and the driver was both dui and uninsured...
  • No premonition or past experience thank goodness but it is the rotaries here in Boston, I ma used to them from driving in Europe but not used to seeing some behemoth coming at me like my driver door has a bullseye on it several times a week. If you don't have rotaries where you are you don't have that much to worry about.

The 5 series and MDX would make a nice combo but I don't like the visibility of the 5 series (I am 6'4") and also not sure if the ride is any smoother than the X5. Merc is out because it couldn't manage a 5 start crash test rating across the board, doesn't offer much value, and ofcourse reliability and maintenance. I am going to look at the GS430 as it seems to offer pretty good value and safety, also apparently has decent power.

Habitat you are right of course and frankly the commute is too long so we will be moving closer in the next year so that I won't have to apply F1 skills to get in to traffic every day :-)
  • caps04caps04 Posts: 6
    I recently purchased an RX 400h so if anyone is interested in this model, feel free to ask. I have driven an X5 and MDX and still went for the Lexus. Aside from the vehicle, you have to deal with their dealerships (of course there will be some bad ones) to understand why most people lock themselves into Toyota/Lexus once they buy their car.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    Aside from the vehicle, you have to deal with their dealerships (of course there will be some bad ones) to understand why most people lock themselves into Toyota/Lexus once they buy their car.

Good luck with your new vehicle and I agree 100% that you have to deal with the dealership as part of the buying/ownership process. Aside from the incredible markeup on Lexus (e.g. ~$8000 on a GS300 vs. ~$4000 on an M35) the local dealership near me is too arrogant and pretentious for me. Hence I have bought 2 MDXs and 1 FX35. My local Acura dealership (3 cars bought) and my local Infiniti dealership (1 car bought) have been great :shades:
  • My lease is up on my Accord, which I love but am moving into an SUV. Right now, the leading candidate is the 06 MDX Touring w/ Nav. My only concern is looks. I am not wild about the look plus I hear the 07 will be re-styled. The problem is my work will lease the car for me, which means I am in it for 3 years. My commute is about to be about an hour each way (thankfully they pay for the gas) and I want something comfortable, works for family (right now wife, 5 year old, dog, hopefully another child soon), and safe in New England winters. Question: do I go with the MDX even if the look will be really old in a year or the RX330 (classy look inside/out and nice ride but a bit boring) or XC90 (questionable track record, not sure about the ride)? Welcome any thoughts.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    Our 03' MDX plows though the N.E. winters great. Tight as a drum and damn reliable (almost 60k runs like brand new). It's my wifes car and she actually compared it to the other 2 you mentioned.

RX was nice, but didn;t feel as "planted" as the X. Had a lot of front end push in corners (I know it's an SUV but still) and I thought it was too narrow in the back seat.

The Volvo is a winner IMO. If I was driving the vehicle more often, I might have gone with the XC90. Alot of thought went into it from the seats, to the ergonomics, to the safety. And the appearance inside in out is handsome too. I think the only downfall was the $$$ for maintainence past 50k and I thought the steering felt VERY disconnected, very numb... The front suspension felt fragile, and the tranny (2.5t) was gear hunting way too much for my tastes.

Our MDX has been excellent though and on the safety front, we survived a rear end collision from some moron on rt128 who plowed into us (full speed, probably 70mph) pushing us up onto the median and into the guardrail... We walked away without a scratch... :D That was 30k miles ago and still to this day she runs like a champ. Very satisfied owners. :D
    We have a 2005 MDX and, like anthngbutgm, are quite happy.

However, if I was you and had somebody else paying 3-year lease payments and gas, I might have pushed my wife harder for the XC90 V8 or even considered the Land Rover LR3. We bought outright and intend to keep the vehicle 7-10 years, so the reliability factors, fuel efficiency, standard features, etc all favored the MDX.

As for the RX330 being a "classy look", I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, the RX's looks have never grown on me. The skinny tires, funky back end, funky dash/console layout, etc. all look like they belong on a GM minivan rather than a Lexus SUV. I am much more favorably disposed to the GX470, which we might have gone for except for the dysfunctional third row seating arrangement.
  • I do like the XC90 but I don't think it will fit in my budget (need to stay under $600 per month) if I want an AWD. Plus, I have heard mixed reviews with reliability. Probably going to do a black 2005 Touring w/ Nav for 36 months, 45,000 miles for $600. Anyone know if that sounds like a good deal?
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    I liken the RX330 to a "Lunar Rover" :) ... A well-built Lunar Rover at that!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    While we are at it why don't we call this a "luxury suv" discussion. While everyone seems to like the cayenne and th rx330/400h, lets bring their competetor, vw touareg. its v8 is really luxurious. and is more than capable of driving off road for those who like driving off the pavement once in a while. ;)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    I would think that the up coming Audi Q7 would make for better competition in this group... Heck while we are at it, might as well add the Volvo XC90. Drop the Caddy, the interior isn't even fit for a Kia Spectra, let alone the price tag it commands...
  • tulegittulegit Posts: 11
    I had a 2004 V6 Toyota Highlander which is the same as the Lexus RX's. It was a piece of crap. Just do a search for Toyota and Hesistation. Both the toyota and lexus shifted like a 100 hp V4. Toyota/Lexus had to issue a new a TSB to reprogram the computers which did not help. And the 5 different dealers i went to, were all rude and ignorant.

After I traded it in for a 2005 SRX V6, I'm in heaven. It drives and shifts like butter. Not to mention is was the Robb Reports "The Best of the Best". If you are not aware of the Robb Report, it's a magazine dedicated to the ultra luxury, they know luxury. It was also Car and Driver's SUV of the year 2 years in a row. And the styling is one of kind, distintive cadillac style.

And 3rd row seating is always a big plus for me and anyone with lots family and friends