Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Remodeling and Repair

2»

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    Turns out my salvage place has some kind of affiliation or rent share deal with Habitat.

Got the Dutch door replaced last week. No rattles and more light. No so easy trying to hang a door in an existing jamb though (luckily I'm pretty good with Fix-all :P ).
  • webbewebbe Posts: 15
    Jipster,

I was reading your furnace story and was wondering if you
    would mind telling me how you went about getting them to replace the furnace for free. I have a very similar problem
    and have been told my heat exchanger is cracked. Pilot light
    problems getting worse over the last few years (went out a lot last winter) and was told the other day by a contractor that part is partially under warranty (prorated). Have had many problems in the past with this furnace and is 14 years old. Just wondering did Goodman offer that information
    since they did not mention that when I called about the prorated amount.

Webbe
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I was reading your furnace story and was wondering if you would mind telling me how you went about getting them to replace the furnace for free

Well, I called my Heating and Cooling Co, and asked to speak with the manager. The owner came on and I told him the heat exchangers have been failing (cracking) prematurely. He came out and looked at it. Stated my air filter (thicker/non fiberglass) was impeding airflow to the extent the air in heat exchanger was getting too hot. Contributing to these cracks was the poor quality of heat exchanger by Goodman. The owner contacted Goodman and they agree to replace for free under their program. He did state that this program may be offered for a limited time by Goodman, but that he would check for me.

The owner did say something about it being replaced on a prorated basis, but due to something I can't recall, the entire amount was covered. I just had to pay for labor.

Goodman is the manufacturer, which sells to heating and cooling companies or contractors. It was nice of my heating and cooling company to mention this to me, as they very well could have been less than honest and sold me a $3,000 furnace... and I never would have known the difference. So, I would ask the company you deal with to check to see if Goodman is still offering this program. I'd probably call a couple other companies as well and ask them this question.

If you get just the heat exchanger replaced, I would go with the thinnest fiberglass filter you can find for the winter months. The thick paper filters or the heavy filters are good for removing pollen and dust, but they impede airflow. By the air not moving as quickly thru the heat exchanger, it could heat to the extent it can cause premature cracking in a poor quality exchanger.

Your pilot light going out may be related to the cracks in the exchanger. That's what my furnace did. Went out once one year, a couple times the next. I believe it's part of the safty system for them to do this. Buy yourself a good carbon monoxide detector as well. hope this helped. :)
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    it is the first time using allure floor coverings and it was as easy as they said it would be. i got it at home depot. may not be for everybody but it is a very low maintance floor system. :)
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    We have electric baseboard heat and I recently installed programmable thermostats. Pretty cool. Seems like they're going to pay for themselves pretty quickly. Not only is the heat not on when we're not there (or turned way down when we're asleep) but they'll "touch up" the heat by sending partial power to the heaters. On the display it will show 1 to 4 wavy bars. I'm sure it's not reducing the voltage to the heater, but probably doing it the way a microwave oven does defrost, sending the power only a percentage of the time.

With tax, about $50 each. next power bill is due soon so I'll be able to compare with last year's usage for the same month.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Hmmm... a leather floor. Trying to imagine the upkeep. Lexol/Leather Master/Griot's Leather Care in the economy drum???
  • Gee I hope you don't have to take your bedroom to the dealer every time the "check carpet" light goes on! :P
    edited May 2010
    We have a tri-level with 2 man doors on the main LR/kitchen/dining floor and 2 French/patio doors, one set up, one set down.

I'm refinishing some canoe gunwales in the garage, and the other half of it is full of junk from some massive Spring cleaning we've been doing. So we've been parking the cars on the "wrong" side of our house the last few weeks.

My wife and I went to the grocery store this morning and came back, and walked around back with our hands full of bags to the kitchen door only to find that it was locked.

We had forgotten that, for the first time in the 8 years since we've lived here, we have locks on all the doors now. :blush: I finished putting in a pair of deadbolts yesterday and naturally locked them and admired my work. Didn't occur to me that I might need to start carrying house keys.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    This is a good thing. Teaches you how easy/difficult it is to break into hour house. I found I could jimmy one window and jiggle it and it worked the lock loose---so fixed them all with better latches from inside. These are older wooden up and down windows.
    edited May 2010
    We've never much locked the doors before, so we probably won't start now. But it is nice to have that option.

The old cedar siding on our house got stained this month and we're having the hardwood floor on the main level refinished. And some bathroom work (new vinyl mostly). And new paint on the main floor by a pro and I repainted a bedroom. And I stained the decks. It never ends. :-)

The bids for the stuff we've hired out are mostly "competitive" but everyone seems to have plenty of work.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    You'll get bids on standard stuff but remodeling will probably be time and materials. And you gotta watch the low bidder like a hawk.
2»