Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The Escape is built on a modified Mazda Famila/626 platform so its pretty dated about 12 years old at this point. The obsolesence really shows in the crash test results where its clear that the Escape is just not up to par with some modern designs.

The new rules for safety buttons on power windows goes into effect for the 08 model year so something will definately have to change by then.

The Edge is going to be priced at the high end of the current Escape line so its not a direct replacement.

Ford is stating that there are basically 2 different kinds of CUVs those that emulate traditional SUVs, such as the Escape or those that look like something completely different such as the Murano, and now the Edge. As such, Ford may want 2 CUVs in the same price braket or close to each other.

Mark
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    To start with, I have a Freestyle for almost a year, so I'm prejudiced, but here are my comments:

1. Pontiac SV6 FWD 3.9ltr (w/ towing package)
    - This is basically their old minivan platform with a new cover...I'd stay far away.
    2. Ford Freestyle SEL FWD
    - I have an SE that cost $25K with safety package, convenience, Tri-zone heating & A/C, 20-25mpg, currently 23K miles, great ride height, car handling, and zero problems
    3. Nissan Quest SL Special Edition
    - If you really need the really large space of a minivan, I'd get an Odyssey for the handling and interior space/layouts.
    4. Honda Pilot EX
    - This is a good one, but for me the interior space of the Freestyle won out...compare the interior specs
    5. Hummer H3 (wishfull thinking)

How about the Toyota Highlander?
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Well, we looked at the Ody, but after all the packages, it went just out of our price range. That's also why the Pilot is low man on the list. It's going to be a knock down street fight between the SV6 and Freestyle. We had both for a 24 hour test drive and it's just going to come down to features, pricing, and deals when we do go ahead and buy. The more I think about it, we will more than likely be paying the vehicle off from the get-go anyway. I just don't want to let 'Big Blue' (as my daughter calls it) go, because of all the added features I put into her.

Odie
    When you did your test drives, did you notice any big differences in the driving?
    When my wife and I had the vehicles we did notice many differnces. My wife kept complaining about lack of power on the SV6, but we only had the 200hp 3.5ltr. Then she said the Freestyle didn't have the get-up she is accustomed to, so I explained the CVT to her. I liked the dash layout of the SV6 better due to the fact it has the column shifter. Having the column shifter adds a little more width for leg room for my height. On the 2 dirt/gravel roads we had tested both vehicles on the SV6 handled the twists alittle better, but the Freestyle handled the hills better. I feel that both vehicle has it's advantage and disadvantage over each other. I liked both, but it will come down to her decision. :surprise:

Odie
    BTW...how many adults/kids do you expect to be carrying, because the SV6 has the space of a full size minivan, where the Freestyle is more of a big station wagon with a 3rd row. Good enough space for us, but if we had a couple more kids we'd look at a minivan too.
    As for amount of people. There would be myself and Wife, plus 1 3 yr with 2nd child due in July. But I also pull a small trailer every once in a while and also move larger items quite often. Most of the stuff fits in the Escape, and the towing package on the Escape was more than ample.
    For Towing with the others;
    1. '06 SV6 - 3500lbs with 3.9lt and towing package.
    2. '06 Freestyle - 2500lbs (all the engine can handle)with aftermarket kit (no package avail.)
    3. '06 Quest - No towing package avail.
    4. '06 Pilot - 4500lbs with towing package.

As for Horses;
    1. SV6 - 201 (3.5ltr), 240 (3.9ltr)
    2. Freestyle - 201 (3.0ltr), 245 (3.5ltr - Not yet released)
    3. Quest - 240 (3.5ltr)
    4. Pilot - 240 (3.5ltr)

I have to list the Quest and Pilot, because they are still being considered. They are at least 3 laps behind the leaders, but they are still in the race. :shades:

Odie
    For that sized load, I'd go for a minivan, so if the SV6 is the minivan you selected, then I'd stick with that. If you do go for the Freestyle, make sure you get the 2nd row without the center console, because it would be pain to keep flipping up the seats if you go with the 2nd row bench.

Personally with your load I'd look at a 2 year old (to be on par with the price of a new SV6) low mileage Odyssey or Sienna for the additional quality, reliability, interior space and flexibility.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    This keeps coming up so I'll keet posting it.

With the CVT, if you want the tranny to drop instantly to a low ratio, you have to literally, totally, completely FLOOR the gas pedal.

There is a little button under the gas pedal that only gets activated if you FLOOR IT!

The Freestyle and Five Hundred have plenty of get up and go, when you know this little trick that every Salesman should know but doesn't. They just don't sound so good on the ears while doing it.

Mark.
    I have a Freestyle and you're right, if you floor it the revs jump and the car shoots forward; however, you don't need to do that all the time for good power. Just pressing the pedal down halfway gets the RPMs up to 3000 and I've found that to give plenty of power for passing, merging, and zipping around without the engine roar of flooring it.
    I think this has been the most the Escape forum has been up near the top in a long time.

Well, I'm off to the Philly Auto Show in the morn., watch for a link with pictures.

Odie
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Ford drop the name "Escape" so fast. After just about 8 years of production. It just doesn't look good when you go to trade in a vehicle that is dead in the water. Escape/Trib/Mariner are great little SUV's.
    Myself, I think I'm going to go back to a sedan this summer. Gas prices aren't going to go down. I figure they will start heading up again in the next 2 months. So far my choices for the replacement of my trusty Escape are:
    Ford Fusion
    Pontiac G6
    Volkswagon Jetta
    Not in any order of preference by the way....
    Well, I created a post over in News & Views for Auto Show Pictures, and I've already started putting some up. The new Ford Edge is about the same size as the Escape, just a tad bigger.

Odie
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Facelifted Ford Escape caught (Straightline Blog)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    looks like either 2 different vehicles, or the pictures were shot at different times. in one, the left front fender has a cover on it, the other does not. maybe the photog, took it off! on purpose?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Heh, just a quick peek and a snap, right? Or maybe Ford is driving that rig around to throw GM off the scent. :shades:

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I recently took my 2002 escape in for a recall. Never had any problems with this vehicle. Six days later we noticed oil drips. My husband checked it out and found the oil pan bolts were loose! Dealership devil? I don't know but I know these are torqued down and should not come loose. Any one know the torque specs. or where to find them? Any help would be great. :mad:
    I would call a different dealership's service department and ask them what it is. Then I would call your service dept that you deal with and ask them the same question.

Odie
  • Thanks Odie, I didn't know if a dealership would give me this info. or if it would be correct. I will try your suggestion. Meanwhile isn't there a book you can check out at the library on your specific vehicle? I can't remember the name. Chalmers?
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I am surprised Ford spent the $$ for a face lift on the Escape. All indications point to the Escape being phased out and replaced by the Edge.. When is this face lift supposed to hit showrooms? late 06? :confuse: