Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Basically, you noticed the difference between a car with a stiff structure, the body on frame Sorento, vs. the not so stiff unibody Highlander.

The stiffer the platform the car is built from, the better the suspension tuning can be.

Bendyflexy cars tend to have softer suspensions to get the same feel as a stiff car with a hard suspension.

Mark
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    But unexpectedly I think its making me carsick!
    --------------------------------

I have poor balance from an inner ear condition and I've noticed our new Mariner has a "jouncy" ride on pavement that isn't perfectly smooth. Our previous Saturn Vue didn't have it and neither does my much smaller Suzuki Aerio.

I'm sensitive to "bounce" and if our Mariner is typical, you're right; there is a constant movement. It's my wife's car and she drives it 90% of the time, so I can live with the bounce. :)
  • mbrickmbrick Posts: 1
    I know you originally posted this a couple of years ago but could this IAC be the problem with our '01 XLT that hesitates and bucks when shifting? It seems like when it shifts out of overdrive is when the problem is occurring but it seems to be getting worse.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    The Mercury line purposely softens up the ride of their cars, as they appeal to the low end Country Club crowd, and to women generally, who prefer a little more luxury and a little less harshness in the ride. If the Mariner is too bouncy, try the Tribute or the Escape. Might be better.
  • arunmarunm Posts: 2
    Have a vibration problem!!
    Taken to Ford dealers and am told it is a 'characteristic' of the vehicle.
    Initially had a vibration at idle which was taken care of with 2 replaced engine mounts after great difficulty with the dealer.
    Now whenever the car is trying to go to the lower gear and is between 1200-1400 RPM the car has a grinding thru the steering annoying vibration. It goes away once the overdrive function kicks in. Comes back everytime in that REV range.
    Has anyone else expreience such an issue?
    Please someone HELP!
    No more F O R D for me (even if this is a Mazda Tribute/Escape). Its the after sales which suck!
  • I have a 2001 Ford Escape that is used by other family members. This morning I
    noticed after I started it that the Rear Defroster was still on. It also does not auto shut off after a short time of being off. The button must be manually pushed to shut it off so it does not come on after starting again. Is this normal? I have seen other posts with this problem. This morning I looked at the manual and it did say that it should not come on after restarting, however it does.

Also the light is out on the gear indicator, Anyone change the bulb or whatever it
    needs to fix it. It looks like an LCD display as it also houses the odometer.
  • when i start my car it will give more sound & vibrate. some one pls help me how can i solve this , do you think from eng mount ?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,049
    Could be - if you have a bad motor mount and rev the engine, it can cause the car to shake and vibrate. Sometimes you can see excessive movement of the engine when someone gives the car a little gas. And you may notice more vibration in the steering wheel as well.

It wouldn't hurt to check the transmission mounts too as well as the exhaust system hangers (they can vibrate and rattle too).
  • I PURCHASED 2005 LIMITED FORD ESCAPE . AND I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IT SINCE AT FIRST I FELT LIKE THERE WAS NO POWER AND IT WAS GOING TO STALL OUT & THERE IS SOME LOUD SOUND LIKE IT COLD BUTS ITS NOT

PLEASE I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HAVE EXPERIENCED .
  • Battery and lights OK. Truck will not turn over in park or neutral. Not even a clicking sound from the starter. Lights do not dim when key is engaged.
  • Try another key--might have dropped it's code.
  • 1 General rule for all cars... Inspect all fuses and relays associated with the problem. key thing is a good idea... or bad solenoid/starter. :confuse:
  • I just bought a 2004 Ford Escape and the steerling wheel vibrates when I am stopped at a red light. The dealer tells me it is an idle and a tune up will take care of it, but it only has 55,000 miles on it and really should not need a tune up til 100,000 miles. Some tell me it is also charastic of the vehicle. Not sure what it is or who to believe but it is annoying...
  • I actually went in to a dealership by myself and laid it all down on the line. I told the salesman I was a single recent divorced mom. What I was looking for, how much I wanted to my car payments to be. I knew what the car should go for...I did my research before I went. I believe in the end I got a good deal and was not taken advantage of. I even got more for my car that it was worth even in retail. That was my first experience in buying a car by myself and I believe it actually went well.
  • rapidrickrapidrick Posts: 70
    " just bought a 2004 Ford Escape and the steerling wheel vibrates when I am stopped at a red light. The dealer tells me it is an idle and a tune up will take care of it, but it only has 55,000 miles on it and really should not need a tune up til 100,000 miles. Some tell me it is also charastic of the vehicle. Not sure what it is or who to believe but it is annoying..."

Put it in neutral at the light. Keeps the tranny cooler over the long haul and will get rid of your vibrating wheel.
  • lostlost Posts: 64
    Do you know the history of this vehicle? It is very likely that something was ignored if it was a lease vehicle and the previous driver knew that they were going to turn it in after the lease expired. Human nature being what it is dictates this.
    Did you test drive the vehicle or have it inspected before your purchase?
  • glen_05glen_05 Posts: 1
    My 2005 Escape XLT, with 45,600 miles, has been experiencing engine cut off''s
    when at a corner or a stop, with no other notable signs of trouble. Yesterday
    the dealer was able to determine that the torque converter was "toast". Car was
    new when purchased as it was the last on the lot for that model year, with little
    dealer miles.
  • Where in the car is this OBD2 connector located? I have looked all over the drivers side compartment and under the dash and so far I do not see it.
  • ccfupdateccfupdate Posts: 1
    I too have a 2005 Ford Escape Limited which experiences the same problem of no power. It will slowly ramp up to full speed. Did you ever get an answer to what causes it?
  • I also had this problem. I took it to a friend who owns a mechanic shop and he replaced my idle control valve. Now my 01 Escape runs like new! :)