Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape

Comments

• fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    Besides mediocre brakes has anybody had any problems or dislikes with their
    2010 Escape.
  • bj02176bj02176 Posts: 115
    The hoot when accelerating from a stop.

The rear brake noise, sometimes a clicking sound.. There are always some strange noises

The rubber on the bottom near the drivers door which has become unattached because I hit it whith my foot when getting out.

The transmision recall, mileage is now lower with the fix.

This is not the equal of my 2005 Escape which had rear disk brakes that worked well.

Heck, even my 2001 Tribute had better brakesd with rear drums.
  • c813c813 Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Escape four cylinder with 7700 miles and the tranny has to be replaced, Ford had a recall to supposedly fix the hard shifting problem but a week later the tranny seized up in the middle of RT 1 in Princeton almost causing a rear end collision. Now it has been in the shop for two weeks waiting to be fixed, Ford had to authorize a new tranny and replacement. In the meantime no car and no loaner from them. I had a Honda CRV, wish I did not trade it for the Escape.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    We have a 2009 V6 which has the same drivetrain as a 2009 V6. WE have had no troubles to date. The brakes which I had some apprehension about compared to our 2007 with rear discs, have been fine. Firm peddle, straight even stops. The only downside compared to the 2007 is the gauges. Very hard to read in some daylight conditions. The 2007 had very legible black on white numbers.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Should be same drivetrain as a 2010 V6.
    Funny, I have no problem with the gauges.

Now the steering makes wierd noises while turning left and right.

On a brighter note the ac is excellent compared to my 2008 Honda CRV.

Also I don't think the transmission will ever fail.

Did you know the 2005 Escape came with a full size spare with an alloy wheel.

They do not make them like they use to however.
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    I'm reading an Escape Owners Manual and it states that the fuel capacity is 17.5 gallons but in everything I can find online it states that the capacity is 16.5 gallons? Does anyone know what the discrepancy is? Can anyone tell me what the most amount of gallons they've been able to put in at fill up? Thanks.
  • mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    Interesting comment on the spare. I have an 05 with the full size spare and just bought a 2010, had to pay $406 for a full size spare on a steel wheel. I let Ford know that I was not real happy about this when I filled out the after purchase survey.
    Old Mike
  • mkliethemkliethe Posts: 3
    edited September 2010
    Hi,
    I am trying to find the best 'Escape' deal that i can. I currently have two options with the exact same Internet asking price.

1. 2006 60k loaded with pretty much everything but the dealer is very irritating. No cost to irritation but I sure am tired of it. Car rides smooth.

2. 2005 59.5 K loaded but additional features are remote start and 4 WD. The dealer was great but the SUV runs rough. They told me that it was probably because of the Cooper tires but I need some verification that might be the case.

I also saw several 'issues' with the 2005 4WD but I am not sure how to reconcile all of the information.

Can anyone help? Should I even be looking at Escape's or is there a better option? My budget is $12K including taxes.

Thank you
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    With your budget of $12k, you have lots of choices in a small SUV not just a Ford Escape. However, if you like the Escape I would go with the 2006 model year. 2005 was the first year that the Escape came out with the "intelligent 4WD system" that is a little different then the old 2004 and earlier model system. First year anything usually tend to have a little more bugs that need to get worked out. Just my $0.02
    My 2005 awd Escape was great, better than my 2010 Escape. It had rear disk brakes, a full size spare mounted on an alloy wheel.

The awd system was the equal of the old system on my 2001 Tribute.

Threw on some Goodyear triple treds and it was better than both the tribute and the 2010 in the snow and rainy conditions. Besides there were a few times that I forgot to shut off the switchable awd button, not good!
  • Thank you for your input. I was told early on that you should never purchase a brand new brand of vehicle because the bugs need to be worked out. My gut for 4WD was the same. I found a 2007 with a bit more miles and the same price as the other two. At least it gives me options.

What about the 'rough ride'. Is that something totally attributable to the brand of tires or is there a base 'roughness' because this is closer to a truck than a car?

Thanks again.
    OK, let me clarify a little bit. 2001-2004 Escape and 2005-2007 Escape have essentially the same 4WD system. Except that on 2001-2004 model years you had the freedom of turning on 4x4 through a electronic switch on the dash. 2005 and newer Escapes (even current Escapes) do not have the switch and 4WD only turns on when the computer decides it is nessesary. If 4WD is not a big deal to you then either 2005 or 2006 or even 2007 model year will be fine. My wife and I personally wanted a little more control over our 4WD system and we bought a 2004 MY Escape even though the 2005 MY Escapes were available when we bought ours.

On the rough ride...even though is not a body on frame SUV its also not a car based SUV, so it will ride a bit hard and rough ( alittle trucklike if you will). Also a point to note...Escapes (2001-2007) are not very quiet plush rides. They are very wind noisy and road noisy, specially when tires are at least 50% worn and it only gets worse as tires wear. I do hear that 2008 and newer Escapes are a little bit better as far as road noise, but I don't know if your budget can afford a current generation Escape.

Hope this helps!
  • This helps more that you will ever know.

Great information and I thank you very much.

Very well said by the way....

Mark
  • Hello all, I have a 2010 Escape that was recalled for the powertrain control module recalibration. The dealer had the car for the day and told me they recalibrated whatever needed to be done. Problem is, the tranny still slips. I am going to take it back to them, but wanted to know if anyone had similar issues. thanks
    I also had it done, transmision is fine, it was fine before, except for a few rough shifts when going into gear, they seem to have disappeared. Gas mileage seems to be a bit lower though.

Do you have the rear "hoot" noise when accerating from a stop, I do.
  • I don't have any strange noises, it just slips occasionally, sometimes hesitates, I miss the days when cars were actually mechanical.....
  • I have a 2009 XLT 4WD, it was a gift given to me for my college graduation. I have always wanted to own a bmw 3 series, when I could afford it on my own. My escape is a year old and only has 7500 miles on it. I wanted to know when would be the best time to sell my escape, now or later?

Any thoughts?
    It depends on if you owe money (making payments) on it or not. If you don't owe money then now is better then later because time only depreciates the value of your Escape. However, if you owe money on it, then depending on how much you owe, it may be better to wait to at least get what you owe on it and don't go upside down on it.
  • Fortunately we bought the car outright and nothing is owed on the vehicle. I am thinking about selling it come winter time since it is a 4wd model and will have more demand then. The bmw wont have much demand then and I can get a better deal out of it.