Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 328i/328xi

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,583
    The lease plan is from BMW leasing and there isn't a whole lot the dealer can do to change the terms. He doesn't dictate money rate.

About all you can do to get your monthly down is throw more money at the lease up front, but that's a pretty bad idea.

Here's the current lease specials on the 328 sedan: Please note that with the up front monies your monthly really isn't $353 a month...it's more like $443...and if you go over 10,000 miles a year, then you add that to the lease monthly as well.

You can also possibly negotiate 12,000 mile and 15000 mile leases through BMW leasing.

$353 Monthly Payment
    36 Month Term
    $2500 Down Payment
    $400 Security Deposit
    10000 Annual Mileage
    Restrictions Lease is based on a 2007 BMW 328i Sedan with optional Metallic Paint and Sport Package.

Comments $3253 due at signing. Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our Visitor Agreement.

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host

• jtlajtla Posts: 375
    is there any possible way, to get into a base 328i, for a 36 month lease, with 10k miles/Year, with putting down $2000, including tax, bank fee, first month (don't need security, since I am returning a BMW) and paying under/up to $400.00 a month.

It is certainly possible. Check out this BMW 328i lease offer. Also, hop over to the BMW 3-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience forum to do some home work, and then make an offer to the dealer. You should not walk into the dealership until you work out the price.
    One more thing -- Be an informed shopper by using this lease calculator to figure out lease payment yourself.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,023
    Can you do it? How base of a car would you be satisfied with?

Base '07 328i

$33175 MSRP
    $32000 Selling price
    .0014 MF
    64% Residual (3yr/30K)

Monthly payment = $374/mo.+tax

Due at signing = 1st pymt, title/license fees, $625 acq.fee ($1300 total?), still have $700 of your $2K in the bank.

If your tax rate is 7% or less, your payment is under $400.

--------------------------------------------
    You want options? Add auto, premium pkg and metallic paint..

$38175 MSRP
    $36500 Selling price
    $700 CAP cost reduction (using up your $2K)
    $35800 CAP cost
    .0014 MF
    64% Residual

Monthly payment = $400/mo.+tax (about $428/mo. w/7% tax)

Due at signing = 1st pymt, acq.fee, title/license, cap cost reduction ($2000 total?).

So.. it can be done..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• hugo5hugo5 Posts: 68
    I did all that, more than once. Maybe I am doing something wrong. It was giving me a monthly payment of $428.99/month. In this case, I would still have to pay 1st month down, bank fee, tax and dmv upfront, which would total somewhere around $2350, depending on the bank fee and dmv(just carrying plates over)
    I actually got a better deal from the dealer, which was $399/month w/ $2346.83 total out of pocket (incl tax and fees). $399 was my absolute max of what I can swing. I am paying $371.83 at the moment for the 325i, and it's calculated into the monthly overhead, going up means stretching it. My wife wants to keep it the same or lower...
    Basically, I need to bring this deal down by $600 or so, to be where I wanna be. Can you roll over the bank fee into the payment? Need the out of pocket to come down by at least $350
    I posted this in another thread, but didn't get an answer:
    I am also looking at other cars, and for those I wasn't able to get the residual value and money factor over the internet. The dealer told me over the phone, that there is no way he would give this information to me. He would rather give me the invoice price. After all, then I could just work out my own deal...duh.
    Am I entitled to know these figures? Do I have to go in to get them, if at all, or can I request them over the phone, so I am prepared before I go in?
    Hugo
    Not sure what other cars you are looking, but unless their MSRP are substantially less, I doubt you will be able to find a better lease deal than 328i because of the money factor and residual rate.

Here are the rates for the month of May:

2007 BMW 328i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate

2007 BMW 328Ci Coupe
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate

The residuals above are for 15K miles/year. Add 2% to Residual for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms
    You are looking at 328i sedan, not coupe, right? If you are paying $429/month for a base 328i sedan, there should be little or no cap cost reduction required. Just look at kyfdx's example above. Now, if you were talking about the coupe, that would be another story due to higher MSRP, less discount, and lower residual. Otherwise, like you said, something isn't right. Why don't you post your specs. Some of us here may do a calculation for you.
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! I am looking at the base model, as I don't think I can afford more. The only thing I would add, is the automated front seat control, and I can could certainly do without.
    One more question: I live in New York, our tax is 8.25, and normally required upfront. You could opt to roll it into the payments, but I was told, that then you actually pay taxes on your taxes?
    Anyways; am I paying taxes on the whole price of the car, or on the 36 month value of the car?
    If you have time, could you give me the info on the X3 as well. My dealer said that because the residual is so high, he might be able to get me into that for almost the same?
    Sounds strange to me, but if it works, I'd take..more space for the kids
    Thanks again,
    Hugo
    You're only paying tax on the part of the car you are "renting" for the 36 months. If the residual is set very high, that will lower your payments, yes...but the leasing company locks in the residual---that's not negotiable.

Thanks so much. I just looked at the tax on the 36 month value and came up at $860. The dealer quoted me $1255.36. Is this a way they can trick you?
    Have another question; she quoted me a $625 bank fee. I am sure this really varies, but is there a ball park figure, so I get an idea if this is for real?
    sorry, one more uneducated question; I keep reading that the residual is based on the msrp. Does that mean, if the MSRP of the car I am going to lease is 35.920, but I negotiate it down to let's say 34.000, the residual will still be based on the orig. 35.920, not on the price I negotiated?
    No, MSRP is MSRP and that's it. What you pay for the car is called "capitalized cost" and the residual isn't based on that as far as I know.

This website might help you a lot:

http://www.leaseguide.com/lease07.htm

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,023
    Hey, hugo5..

Come on over to BMW 3-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

Bring the MSRP and the lease term you are interested in, and we'll work up a deal for you...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

brought it over, thanks that would be great!
    ok, I get it, but am still unsure. I see the taxes of other buyers set much higher, and was quoted so much more from the dealer. If I am counting correctly, I am only supposed to be charged $876 on a 36 month lease:
    $32,470 sales price - $34,150 msrp
    -21856 resid.
    =10614 - 8.25 sales tax in New York =
    875.65 tax
    am I right? If so, how does my dealer quote me $1255.36 sales tax??
    One more question: what should my bank fee be? She quoted $625
    Hugo
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Posts: 20
    I'm confused about the tires that come with the sport package. At the BMW website, the tires that come on the 328xi are clearly marked as all-weather regardless of whether you get the sport package. The sport tires are bigger, but not summer tires. Many postings on the Edmunds forums seems to talk about how the sport package comes with summer tires. Am I missing something? Doesn't seem to only be an AWD issue, I looked at the 328i and see the same thing listed on the BMW website. Wondering if I am reading incorrectly, or if the dealers tend to outfit the cars differently than BMW lists on the website.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    You can buy the 328 in effectively five guises:

1) 328i -- Comes with standard All-Season tires.
    2) 328i SP -- Comes with staggered Summer Performance tires.
    3) 328xi -- Comes with standard All-Season tires.
    3) 328xi SP -- Comes with standard All-Season tires.
    2) 328xi SP & 17" Double Spoke Alloy Wheels -- Comes with staggered Summer Performance tires.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Posts: 20
    For reasons that are too complex to walk through, I need to buy a 328i remotely without further test drive. Wondering how much better folks think the premium sound is?
  • I am a new owner of an 07 328xi, and I love my leather interior. I also love my dog and would like to occasionally transport him in the back seat. There are a number of rear seat covers listed on the internet, but it is hard to tell which are well made or not.

I am wondering if anyone here who owns a 3-series and a rear seat cover would be willing to share their experiences. What brand did you get? How durable is the cover? How well does it stay in place?

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!
  • I'm in the market to purchase a 3-series 07 bmw. I don't want to spend too much money w/options but would like the basic comforts. So, I was considering to purchase either a 328i or 328xi. What is a fair price to pay in the San Diego area?
    What things do you consider to be "comforts"? Leather interior and automatic everything or a manual transmission and a stiff(er) suspension with sticky summer tires?
  • Alright, let me clarify "comforts"...leather interior, hd radio, ac, and automatic transmission. Does the premium pkg include these features?
  • dan12dan12 Posts: 114
    A/C is standard. The premium package includes leather. HD radio and auto are separate. The sports package adds much more supportive seats if you don't mind the stiffer ride. Check out edmunds if you haven't already.
  • thanks for your feedback...
  • Just purchased a brand new 07 328i,and was wondering what kind of fuel i should be putting in the car,and how long is usually the break in of the engine?I want to feel the engine but dont want to do it too soon.Any recommendations?
    Fuel recommendations are in your owner's manual and probably on or near the gas cap or gas door.

As for break-in, you'll get varying answers and fairly conservative advice from your owner's manual, but with a BMW I'd say just drive it normally for 1000 miles and stay out of the red line on the tachometer.

But I'm a big fan of some full-throttle acceleration during break in , but only in the "mid-range" of the tachometer, say 4,000---4,500 max. I also like to rev the engine up to the 4,000 range and then let it "suck down" to 2,000 or so, if traffic permits. That way you place stress on both sides of the pistons.

But really, just let the engine warm up a bit on start-up and don't drive like a maniac and you should be fine. After 1000 miles, let 'er rip.

BMW engines are designed to rev and they can take it.

Didn't your car come with an Owner's Manual? All of your questions will be answered by simply cracking the cover. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    Obviously, this topic is one that is really personal and subjective; however, after 11 years in a comfortable 528 I have been very disappointed with the overall seat comfort of my new 328 (not sport seats). They just seem overly hard and uncomfortable after about 30 minutes of driving. No amount of adjustment seems to make much difference and I cannot imagine a long trip on them. I didn't buy this car for some kind of pillow soft ride, but was surprised at the very noticeable difference in seat comfort from my 528. Anyone else have this complaint?
  • YES - I GOT LAMBS WOOL SEAT COVERS AND IT MAKES IT A LITLE BETTER