Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 328i/328xi

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,667
    245s are too wide for a 7" wheel.. I'd concentrate on the best rubber I could get, that stays within stock parameters..

As shipo states... 225/50-16 is your best bet.. If you put some ultra-sticky tires in that size on your vehicle, then you'll see massive improvements in grip and turn-in.

Now, all that said... Maybe we should continue any further tire discussions here: BMW 3-Series Tires and Wheels

Because... the actual title of this discussion is 2007 BMW 328i Performance

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    (not the host here)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,354
    Tires ARE performance! But you set the direction.

Regards,
    OW
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    You are soooo right. And then some are talking about tracking the car. This original thread was a person who was leasing a car, in a city environment.

Some people just have to have the bigger tires for the look. But it is quite the opposite for driving sport.

abfisch
  • absoluticabsolutic Posts: 29
    I'm the original person who started the thread. And after driving the car for about 230 miles in the last 6 days, I decided to keep the original 205s. The car drives very good as it is. I also discovered the DS position. At the beginning, I thought it was either D for fully automatic or I had to shift M1 through M6. Yesterday after reading this site I discovered that the intermediate position of DS means more fun. I tried it and I am loving it. I am never going back to MB.
  • Recently got the 07 328XI coupe, I notice the oil temp running past the middle. Is this normal? Mines runs around 2-3 clicks past the middle.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Did you install your oil temperature gauge from an after market supplier of did you somehow manage to get BMW to supply you one from their parts bin?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • The coupe comes with it instead of the MPG gauge.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,667
    Hey! We learn something new every day.. :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    The oil temp and water temp guages in my 911 run at the middle of the guage under normal conditions. The oil pressure guage runs near 5 on a scale of 1 to 5 when the car is driving along at normal speeds (drops lower at idle).

If your oil temp guage is running to the high side by a noticable margin, I'd check with your service manager, but also test drive/check some other vehicles on the lot. That does not sound right to me, but I'm not sure how BMW aligns their guages.
    Does the 911 have numbers on the gauges for temp/volts? The '06 330 has no gauges! Ridiculous!

I prefer knowing what's going on in the engine room. You'd think that with on-board computers, it would be a cinch to see operating metrics at a glance!?

Regards,
    OW
  • I plan to replace the style 156 wheels that come from the factory on a new 328i. I have found a beautiful set of 16 inch chromed M3 style wheels at a decent price. Can anyone tell me where to find the offset spec of the original wheels so I can be sure I am putting something compatible on the car? I dont have the car yet so I cant physically measure them..
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    finally replaced my beloved 97 528, which was hitting some serious maintenance plateaus and I did not want to put a ton of money into it at this stage (163K miles). Quite a change for me since I am getting an automatic - first time in 27 years. I drove the 335 - absolutely awesome power - but much more than I can imagine ever needing. The 328 goes very well and handles incredibly well too. I'll see if I can get more than 160K out of this one! :)
    Best of luck and enjoy! I love the handling as well on my 330.

Regards,
    OW
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    I hope to be right (more-or-less -- my present car needs to exhibit more symptoms first) behind you. I generally keep cars well beyond 100K miles & enjoy handling more than power.

Good to hear stories like yours. Keep us posted on your new ride.
  • error438error438 Posts: 17
    I have a simple question- is there a a differance between summer tires and all season tires in the snow with RWD? Some people say there isn't.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Yes, and it's HUGE.

My first BMW had All-Season rubber, and it served me fairly well for the four winters that I had it. Not GREAT mind you, but I was able to get from point A to point B, with only a certain amount of white knuckling the steering wheel. My second BMW came with Summer rubber, and with only a quarter of an inch of snow on my drive way I was unable to make it up to the street. That thing was downright scary to drive with even so much as a dusting on the streets. That said, I ordered a set of winter tires for it and was astounded at the difference those tires made in the car. It went from the worst winter driver I've ever had (and I've driven through thirty some winters) to the very best. If I had to rate the tires on a scale of one to ten for winter capabilities (ten being the best), I'd put the Summer rubber at a 1 (maybe not even that high), the All-Season rubber at a 4 and the Winter rubber at a 10.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I disagree slightly with Shipo. It's not HUGE. It's ENORMOUSLY HUGE. ;)

I have a FWD TL 6-speed with summer tires and it performs far worse in 2-3 inches of snow than a RWD 5-series would with all seasons. The summer tires get hard as nails in sub 30 degree temperatures and the traction sucks.

We were up in my hometown in Erie over Easter and got snow every day. Fortunately we drove our MDX. But I took out my 1995 Nissan Maxima from our second home and was shocked at how much better it handled in the snow than my TL would have. Absolutely no unintended excitement. All because it has 15" 215/60 all seasons (with 40,000 miles on them, no less) instead of 17" 245/45 summer tires. My knuckles would still be white if we had driven the TL.
  • hugo5hugo5 Posts: 68
    Hi there,
    my lease on a 325i is coming to an end on may 26. Needless to say, the dealer I leased from has been calling me for the last 2 month, but although he says he will get me into another BMW, he doesn't seem to come up with numbers I can afford. I have done the math, looked at residuals posted here, took 5 % off MSRP, tried as low as .0014 money factor, and I don't see how I can get to a comfortable number either. So, question: is there any possible way, to get into a base 328i, for a 36 month lease, with 10k miles/Year, with putting down $2000, including tax, bank fee, first month (don't need security, since I am returning a BMW) and paying under/up to $400.00 a month. I am sure, something out of the normal upfront fees has to be rolled over into the monthly.
    The only dealer that is willing to apparently work with me, is about 90 min away from where I live, and I have been begging him, not to make me come out there, if he can't get to what I can afford, but he won't obviously commit to any numbers until I am there. Again, he asked me to come in next Saturday, saying he will give me a deal that I "will be completly satisfied with", I just don't see how he could. What do you think? Is he just trying to get me out there and sell me a car I can't afford, or is there a way to getting to what I am able to pay?
    Sorry for the long assey. This buying another car thing is about to drive me crazy...
    Thanks,
    Hugo