Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 328i/328xi

124»

Comments

• I almost ordered a 2007 328xi coupe in early August and was told when and if it came in in Sept or October that it might arrive as a 2008 model (meaning there wasn't any 07's left). I passed on the deal. Now, September 20th, I still haven't seen any pics or heard anything about the 2008 model. Does anyone know why this is? Why would the dealer would tell me I actually may (likely) be getting an 08 if I ordered an 07 in August? I may go back and buy one in a month but can't seem to get a straight answer to these simple questions:

1. If I order a 2007 328xi coupe now will it be a 2007, and, how long before I get it?

2. If it will be an 08, even though I ordered an 07, when will I get it and will it look or be different in any way?

Several dealers in NY told me this and do not have the answers to these questions. Any definitive anwers would be helpful. Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm, not sure I understand your question, that said, virtually every manufacturer in the world does their model change overs in August and September. In BMW's case, any car built after (and most likely during) August will be for the next model year. Said another way, you could not have "ordered" a 2007 car in August of 2007. The only way you could have gotten a 2007 would have been if there was the exact car you "ordered" already built and on the boat or in the lot.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • If it will be an 08, even though I ordered an 07, when will I get it and will it look or be different in any way?

You see, the dealer told me it might be an 07 if they can get one, but if not, then it will be an 08. But when i asked him if I could see a picture of the 08, or a color chart, he had no info at all. So I thought it was odd to order a car sight unseen.

In addition, he couldn't tell me when it might arrive. Again, I thought it was odd to order a car sight unseen and with no clear date of arrival.

Hence my question: what do the 08's look like and how are they different, and when will they arrive? There was no clear answer to this in August so I was wondering if now, in late September, there is an answer.
    I still don't understand why you're asking. If you truly "ordered" a car in August, it will be a 2008, period, full stop, the end. If you simply told your dealer what colors and options you wanted, then they'll simply look through the stock inbound to their dealership (and probably every other dealership within a certain radius) and find a car that is a close approximation. Assuming the later, you might get a 2007, otherwise it'll be a 2008.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ronsteveronsteve Posts: 435
    Dusting this forum off after a long time, but this seemed an appropriate place for this debate...

I've recently started lusting after 328 sport wagons, but not sure when/if I'd ever make a move away from my Volvo V70. The primary motivation is getting a manual, for the more sporty driving experience (and BMW vs Volvo provides some of that, shifting or not!) and that a manual out-of-warranty is not as scary as an automatic out-of-warranty.

So my biggest question is this... how much of a consideration should 328xi vs. 328i become? I know if I stay away from the xi's that will really limit my choices, but how noticeable is the 250-lb weight penalty of the xi? And are there significant differences in reliability/repair costs down the road with an xi (I know there's not much to speak to that from this generation, but maybe the older 325's will shed some light?)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,855
    The extra weight will show up in slightly less gas mileage--not a big deal--and the xi will not be as sporty to drive if you drive it hard. It will just by nature be less responsive on "turn in" and coming out of corners--it will "push" more (tend to stay in a straight line). If you are a very moderate driver you might not notice this. As for repairs, well AWD is a lot more complex, so unless you really need AWD for some reason, there's no need to want it.

Thanks Mr_Shiftright... here in coastal NC there's no real need for AWD so I'd lean to the standard i models anyway. Was just curious as to how hard I should hold out to try and find that, or "settle" for an xi if that's all I'm finding.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,855
    You'll pay more for an xi as well.

Just one more datapoint...

I live in snowy (some years very snowy) New Hampshire and I wouldn't own one of the "xi" models. I've found it much more enjoyable (from a drivability perspective) to simply buy a second set of wheels with winter tires than to be saddled with the AWD running gear year round.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I can only imagine how hard it would be to sell an xi with MT after you're done with it.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    That's what I do in Maine. No way will I drive with studded rears or swap out winter and summer tires.The gas milage on my RWD drive is bad enough,but an XI AWD you might as well buy a gas station.
    Also, NC guy I flew out of Cherry Point ,NC and you rebels get 1" of snow and it's a natural disaster, with cars sliding all over the place. :shades:
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    Not if you bought mine. I keep my cars mint.I got that habit from Basic School in Quantico. : :shades:
    I keep my cars mint.I got that habit from Basic School in Quantico

Are you freakin' serious? Geez, sounds like we chewed some of the same red mud in Quantico; I spent my time there back in 1977. :shades:
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Those G-Rides at Quantico aren't exactly well maintained or pampered...
    Also, NC guy I flew out of Cherry Point ,NC and you rebels get 1" of snow and it's a natural disaster, with cars sliding all over the place.

This far down the coast, that only happens a day or two each winter (if that), and AWD won't keep these clowns from sliding into me. Can't really say there's a NEED for AWD in this climate.

I think my answer is that after my Volvo goes out of warranty, if I'm really itching to get out of it and can only find xi's, I might do that... but otherwise RWD is my way to go with a BMW.
124»