Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ASTON MARTIN VANTAGE V8 "LEMON"

cheekymonkeycheekymonkey Posts: 19
edited December 2013 in Aston Martin
BOUGHT A 2007 VANTAGE V8 NEW, IN NOV. 2006 FOR ABOUT $125,000, FROM THE COLLECTION, CORAL GABLES, FL. LONG LIST OF DIFFERENT PROBLEMS WITH ONE MAJOR PROBLEM FROM NEW. THE CAR DOESN'T START AND WHEN IT DOES IT STALLS OR RUN ROUGH DURING WARM UP, RPM'S AT AROUN 400, SOUNDS LIKE A MILITARY TANK FIRING ON TWO CYLINDERS. DEFINATELY A 'LEMON'. BEEN IN WORKSHOP 3 TIMES, 21 DAYS OUT OF USE, HAD FINAL REPAIR ATTEMPT BY ASTON MARTIN. CLAIM FILED WITH FLORIDA LEMON LAW DEPT. FULL REFUND REQUIRED. LIST OF PROBLEMS INCLUDED: CAR ALARM GOING OFF; SEAT RATTLES; STEERING WHEEL RATTLES; NAV SCREEN RATTLES, BRAKES SQUEEL; HANDBRAKE STICKING; OIL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE DEFECTIVE (VERY NOISY) ASTON MARTIN KNOWS OF THIS DEFECT WITH THIS PART ON VANTAGE'S BUT HAS NO FIX YET.

CAN I RECOMMEND THIS CAR? NO, I AM SORRY TO SAY. TOO MANY PROBLEMS AND ONE MAJOR PROBLEM THAT ASTON MARTIN HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIX. SPENDING $125,000 ON A CAR THAT DOESN'T START IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE. HAVING ASTON MARTIN TRY AND FIX THE PROBLEM 4 TIMES WITHOUT SUCESS, IS EVEN MORE OF A JOKE. MY ADVICE, FROM MY EXPERIENCES, I CANNOT RECOMMEND ANYONE BUYING THIS VEHICLE. CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ASTON MARTIN HEADQUARTERS IN NEW JERSEY, THEIR RESPONSE WAS ........ SILENCE. THEY HAVE NOT BOTHERED TO RESPOND OR MAKE ANY COMMENT...... GO FIGURE.

A VERY SAD FIRST TIME AM OWNER.

PEOPLE OFTEN THINK SPENDING BIG MONEY ON A FANCY SPORTS CAR OR LUXURY SUV MEANS THAT THEY WILL GET A FIRST CLASS VEHICLE. FROM EXPERIENCE I HAVE FOUND THE MORE YOU SPEND THE MORE PROBLEMS YOU GET AND THE WORSE THE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Did you get your "full refund"?

Sorry to hear about your problems. Makes me want to go out and hug my 911S that has 12,400 virtual trouble free miles on it. I'd have blown a gasket if I went through what you have.
  • Waiting for A/M to find me an exact new replacement (more difficult than it may sound due to lack of availability). If they can't supply one within a reasonable timeframe then a full refund will be in order.
  • Issue now resolved. Aston Martin senior management have been in touch and professionally and promptly arranged for a new relacement vehicle which has now been delivered. New car appears to be perfect. Hopefully I will have no serious problems with this new one :)
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    Good luck with your new car. Let us know how youare making out.
  • andrewjnandrewjn Posts: 13
    Always sorry to hear of anyone having that kind of experience with anything ludicrously expensive. But risk of failure increases with complexity, systems redundancy notwithstanding. I've had it with increasingly expensive wristwatches too (incl. one that retails for more than the Aston Vantage, loaded) and the more you spend, the more quirky they are and the pricier to repair, with more expert head-scratching thrown in just to make you feel good.

I got my red paddle-shift Vantage coupe last Sunday and am bracing myself. So far, with 350 miles, it's a dream. Highway, surface streets, parking on dirt roads to hike... no problem. Something I didn't expect: I need to carry a rag in the driver's door pocket to wipe the nose smudges of the curious off the windows.

Still have my 2000 Jag XJ8, which needed a new engine at 44,000 miles, a new transmission and gearbox at 50,101 miles (101 mi past the warranty; the dealer split the cost) and which suffered intermitted total electrical blackouts from Day One until 50,000 miles (hey, maybe it was the gearbox). That car, I hope, prepared me for the Aston, which was 3 times the price. I bought the extra 2 years' warranty for $4,500. I never do this with electronics; it's dealer padding and nearly 25% of their profits. With a car, it's 2 extra years of sound sleep.

I'm in my late 40s and have wanted this car since I was 8, growing up in England. It's been a long wait. At this point... I'd still rather have it than have the money in the bank. Owning a car that has pedestrians running into the street to take pix of it with their cell phones? In L.A.? Come on!

Ask me in three years though.
  • Cheekymonkey here.....just giving an update on things, with 800 miles, so far so good. Definitely the metallic black is better than the standard jet black as it is easier to clean and doesn't show the polish swirls. A rare car in SW Florida and therefore attracts the photographers and onlookers. However in London AM's are two a penny. Hoping to put the original Vantage problem behind me now and just try and enjoy this new replacement.
  • Well, hopefully the sale of Aston Martin by Ford to David Richards means that, if you have problems, you will be taken more seriously in the future. I have several colleages that, like you, had very poor experience with Jaguar. But, unlike you, their patience was tested beyond repair and the fact that Aston was also owned by Ford was a deal killer.

I had a chance to drive a Vantage several weeks ago. Although it would never replace my 911 Turbo as a sports car, I can honestly say as a long time BMW owner (currently with 2003 M5) that I would personally consider and recommend it as a sleek and comfortable GT over the ugly, ponderous M6.

Enjoy your new car and post an occassional update on your experience.
  • andrewjnandrewjn Posts: 13
    I'm at 700 miles - in only 3 weeks. I researched the car pretty closely before buying, and I thought I'd post the things, big or small, good or bad, that have surprised me.

I thought my visibility would be impeded in traffic by those big rear posts or the raked windshield. Hasn't been the case at all. It's great in traffic.

The engine "farting" on shifts was a surprise - I'm told by the dealer this will happen during break-in; 2000 mi.

I'm surprised, with a 6-speed (paddle shift) to get into 6th so quickly (final gear is 0.78:1). I'd have been happy to be doing 65 mph in 5th at 2000 rpm, with a little head-room for sustained mad-speed in 6th. 6th at freeway speed is barely distinguishable from 5th, rev-wise; it's very close-ratio. Maybe the 4.3l li. 380 bhp engine wouldn't have been torque-y enough at high speeds with a taller gearing. Anyway, this (plus the 240 millisecond paddle-shift) makes it extremely comfortable for city driving.

It's the comfiest car I ever sat in. Don't know why I didn't expect this. My Jag XJ8 feels like an old bench-seat GM 4-door compared.

Typos in the (gorgeous leather-bound) Owner's Manual! Every "its" has been given an apostrophe, including all the possessives. From a car maker based in England! Some of the plurals (spec's, wheel's) have apostrophes too. Alarming lack of attention to detail.

The air conditioning kicks into Recycle at relatively high temp requests. The all-black interior may have something to do with that, but I'm still messing with it, trying to find a balance between acceptable int. temp. and sucking in my own carbon dioxide all day.

Love all the tiny touches, like the windows lowering 3mm when you open the door, and raising again when you close it, to provide an air-tight seal (but see above). The doors that stay open at any angle. The doors raising 12 degrees on opening (how do they do that?) to avoid touching any curbs. The airline-seat-style leather storage pouches that I only after 2 weeks discovered under both seats. The Aston logo on the LCD screen on startup. The huge, heavy, milled-aluminum filler cap. The "vibration ignore" button for when you lock a kid or dog in the car. The little doo-dads that pop out of a hidden tube, spray the headlight cowls and pop back in again. The fact that the car (with a 49/51 balance, due to the far-back engine placement) WEIGHS the trunk contents and dips the headlights accordingly.

The power-fold mirrors! I fold them in on tight streets, approaching oncoming cars, getting quite a few odd looks.

The trunk popped open when I took a speed bump too fast yesterday. It didn't raise noticeably, it just warned me politely.

I'm surprised the gas-tank monitoring cuts off below 20 remaining miles. And that there's no Fuel Used indication. My Jag goes all the way down to "1 mile remaining," but I can call its bluff by reading the digital Fuel Used and subtracting from the 23 gallons it holds. The Aston has a smaller tank, no usage tracking, and after you've dipped below 20 miles remaining, it just gives you a "--". Makes for a little insecurity when the needle's on the pin and your math isn't good enough to divide the mpg indication by the miles-since-fill-up.

The radio's no good. I don't listen to a lot of radio (the CD and audio system are stellar, with an unexpected subwoofer hidden somewhere), but the Aston, as the dealer admitted later, gets no AM. And that's in L.A, with a thousand stations. And its FM goes out under bridges, which I'd never experienced in a car before. The roof antenna makes no difference.

Lastly - I didn't expect I'd be waking up before the alarm clock every morning, excited about driving to work.

Hope the info is helpful for readers who are contemplating a purchase...

Andrew
  • misniki20misniki20 Posts: 7
    I've had my Vantage since Dec of last year and it has been back to the the dealer 4 times already. This last time, it was there for 4 1/2 and the problem still there. The issue I have is the driver's door speaker constantly cuts in and out. The passenger door will do it too but it's mostly the driver's door. First they said it was a bad speaker and after the was replaced with a new one they said it was the wiring. After that was fine they tried to say it might be the wiring from the amp. Last I was told that the bluetooth was making the speakers cut out even though I don't use it. After it was in the shop for 4 weeks, they said they disconnected the bluetooth. The speakers are still cutting out. The whole time it was in the shop, they claimed they never heard the same problem I heard. I was wondering if anybody else has heard of this problem or experienced it? What should I do now. This is a lot of money to spend on a car and something simple like the speakers don't work.
  • One of the problems I had on my original Vantage was the rear speaker would distort at half volume. In the end they re-programmed the stereo system with different parameters. The sound changed but I can't say it actually fixed the problem as I believed it was the actual speaker that was the problem and not software. 4 weeks of down time for your stereo is substantial. They will always look at the easiest and cheapest methods first, when trouble shooting even though their suspicions maybe something much more time consuming or a expensive part. May be the amplifier which is affecting that channel to that speaker.

I guess they would have already tried this but...surely if they swap out the wiring at the amp, with your other door speaker, you will see if the problem transfers over to the other door. If it does, then you know it is not the speaker or the wiring but in fact the amplifier. Easy for their tech to do and within a week you would know and then they can get you a new amp.

By the way, which dealership are you taking it to?

If you have had your vehicle out of use for over 14 days and in for the same problem at least 3 times then you may want to put the manufacturer 'on notice' by filing your lemon law form to their HQ and to your state lemon law office. One on notice they get one final attempt to do a repair.
    I take it to Aston Martin of Beverly Hills which is about 45 mins from my house. It's such an inconvenience to have somebody drop me off and turn around and take me back in two days because they have "fixed" the problem. When it was in the shop for 4 weeks they had it towed it but I had to call my salesperson and complain and she took care of it for me. I've done the lemon law before on a 2004 6 series by calling an lemon law attorney. Should I call the attorney or just contact the manufacturer first. How do I contact them? What department should I ask for? Thanks for all your info and advice.
  • kevwadkevwad Posts: 1
    Contact AM direct, go via the website at www.astonmartin.com and follow the contact us link, they reply quite quickly.
    I had major issue's with my first car and got it changed by refusing to take it back from the dealer after it had been there for 33 days out of the 45 I had owned it. 2nd car great, take it to diiferent race tracks each month and it's brillant.
  • I agree, you should contact AM in California which is where their HQ is based. Speak to someone in senior management (I have some names and numbers) and no doubt they will be keen to address your issues. Once I was in contact with them, things got moving quickly and they did their best to help. Often, just whining at the dealership gets nowhere at all. Good luck with that, and hopefully soon you will have your stereo all fixed up.
    Thanks for the info. I'll post what happens when the situation gets resolved.
  • OK, so here is the update on the new Vantage (the one that replaced the 'lemon' :lemon: from a few months back). After just 1000 miles I can report that exactly the same problems are happening with this new one. That is to say it struggles to start up properly in the morning. It has done this several times in the past 10 weeks and is progressively getting worse. It will start but barely idle at 400rpm and no response to the gas pedal until at least 8-10 seconds. Absolutely no different a problem that the previous Vantage which AM was unable to fix and unable to diagnose as to what the problem was. Has been into dealer once, no fix, just a quick ECM re-flash. This week will go back to dealer again. Is this 'dejavue' or what?

Apart from this problem, no other problems to report. But so far, only 1000 miles covered.

Lets see how round 2 plays out. Surely not another lemon :confuse:
  • You have to have the worst luck in the world!!! I hope that works out. You can't go for the same car three times. I spoke with a lemon law attorney and he said my case would be a very difficult one to fight since it is just the speaker. I took the car to service dept when the speaker was cutting in and out so they could here it and they said they wanted to try to replace the amp but I haven't heard anything from the yet. I believe it has been about two weeks since I took it up there. I should call them but I don't even want to bother with it now.
  • I am thinking about purchasing a 2006 vantage, so that depreciation won't hit me as hard, but I have noticed that there have been numerous and viable complaints pertaining to this car. As good as it looks, is it worth it to purchase this car in your opinion. I am looking at a Jag XJ8, and although there are styling similarities the A/M just looks so much better. I have a Jag right now and have had no problems.
  • I noticed that you seemed to like your Vantage, but something that concerned me was the fact that things can be problematic for a car like this. One of the complaints I noticed from another user was that some of the materials in his/her car rattled incessantly, while the car was less than a year old. Clearly you have not had these problems, which may be more a product of hand made craftsmanship rather than anything else. Could you tell me if this is a car that is going to be taken into the shop a lot and warning signs I should look for in potential Vantage's before purchasing.
  • I noticed that you were not particularly happy with the service you recieved at the Aston Martin Dealership in Beverly Hills. Considering that I am about a 45 minute drive from there, and if I purchase an Aston Martin I would probably take the car to that dealership for scheduled maintance. Considering the fact that you have not good experience with the dealership, is it even worth it to consider this car if I have to drive all the way to orange county or further to get it serviced, and the other question I had for you was how much is the bill for an oil change. If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear from you since you seem relatively experienced in this area.
  • I have an 07 Vantage with the useless sportshift. I don't know who reads this, but it's had nothing but problems. Rear-end issues, misc squeaking, leaking, etc.

One thing everyone fails to understand here is that this car has absolutely NO POWER. If you are just buying it for the looks, it’s a great car; and the handling is amazing as well.

When it comes to power, this car lacks the BALLS that it should have. May look cool riding down the street, but when you need the power, it’s simply not available. 380HP is on family station wagons these days. 1st gear and 2nd gear should not feel like 2 gears apart. Shifting hard should not be as jerky as it is.

Some of the complaints I have submitted have come back with “no trouble found” intake backfire popping is claimed to be normal, the paddle shifter car in auto mode is “not supposed to shift when you need it to shift”. Give me an f’n break.

For $145K I expect more in a car. Whoever is thinking of buying one, think twice. If you go on a test drive, push the car to its limits. When you talk to the main management group and you hear “get an attorney”, that's bad news.