Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ASTON MARTIN VANTAGE V8 "LEMON"

1235»

Comments

• steel23steel23 Posts: 11
    I have about 800 miles on my 2008 Vantage and can't wipe the smile from my face! One issue has popped up a couple of times now and I wonder if anyone else has seen this: when on Sirius.....radio display reads "acquiring signal" yet continues to play uninterrupted. When this happens, I am unable to change stations whatsoever but can adjust volume and turn on and off. Anyone else experience this?
  • My '08 Vantage with 3,000 miles on it failed yeserday on an LA freeway. Was passing a car - transmission revved and "no go". Fortunately was able to pull over to the right shoulder in VERY dangerous high-traffic area. Car was towed 56 miles to Aston Rancho Mirage. They "think" the clutch failed (auto transmission). Have lost faith in this car - do not trust it. Any suggestions? I want a new vehicle from Aston - as this cannot happen again. Lucky I am alive. :lemon:
  • cardude67cardude67 Posts: 2
    Funny mine did the same thing today. 65mph and bang the clutch and power were gone with trucks whizzing by.. This is the second car to do the same thing first one was an 07 and was assured it wouldn't happen again on the newer updated tranmission on the 2008.. I'm done.. My Mercedes and BMW's may not have the same feel or status but they never left me stranded for 2 hours on the side of the road.
  • dfregolledfregolle Posts: 2
    Aston HQ told me that they have not experienced this in the US....only in Europe. Funny thing as I was at Aveda the following week and another customer's husband had the same failure. Car is running great now....shifts better, runs better. Still one of the best looking cars on the road!
  • cardude67cardude67 Posts: 2
    The service rep told me that they have seen it before and that some cars have the old clutch and that they have an updated clutch and that they don't know which cars have the old clutch so they have to fail in order to replace them. This was my life on the line as my car lost complete control of power... If this was the first time this happened I may over look it. I love the car but quality on the 2007 was bad and I have lost faith with 4500 miles on this car it doesn't feel right. I agree the car is great looking, but if someone told me you would have to replace the clutch every 2-3000 miles I would have passed.
  • vodavoda Posts: 2
    I'm currently looking to pick up a used Vantage (06 or 07), but sounds like a lot of issues to deal with. Are all these clutch problems with the automatic only? How is the build quality after a little use (lots of rattles, squeeks, etc.)? I'd really like to see a list of the most common problems and the difference between the '06 and '07. If the car is more trouble then its worth, I'll just get another Porsche. I have a Porsche dealer 1/2 hour away, but the AM dealer is 1.5 hours so I don't want to be making a lot of repair trips or paying for long distance towing. Appreciate the info and thoughts on this situation.
  • bogsterbogster Posts: 2
    I CAN TELL YOU THAT AS A FORMER ASTON SALESMAN THAT THE FACTORY HAS HAD TO BUY-BACK MANY VANTAGES UNDER THE LEMON LAW. AND THAT ALMOST EVERY 2008 DB9 HAD BAD FUEL PUMPS THAT WOULD FAIL WITHIN SEVERAL MILES. THE FACTORY IS AWARE OF THIS, BUT INSTEAD OF DOING A RECALL TO REPLACE THE FAULTY PUMPS, THEY CHOSE TO WAIT UNTIL THE UNITS FAIL, LEAVING OWNERS STRANDED... :lemon:
  • bogsterbogster Posts: 2
    STAY AWAY FROM THE SPORT SHIFT TRANSMISSION. TERRIBLE COMPROMISE...ALSO PAY ATTENTION TO THE LEATHER DASH TOP, THESE SHRINK AND PULL AWAY. IF ASTON WOULD ONLY LEAVE SOME EXTRA LENGTH ON THE BACK SIDE IT WOULD ALLOW FOR SOME NATURAL SHRINKAGE WITHOUT PULLING OUT... FUEL MILAGE SUCKS!
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Hi, bogster,

Typing in all caps makes it look like you're shouting. And maybe you really ARE shouting :) but things just look better with the caps lock off.

Claire

HOST

• THE WORST DEALER EVER I bought almost $ 500,000 worth of NEW Aston Martin cars one DBS and one V8 Vantage. The cars were in such bad condition asked the factory rep. to come to my home and look for themselves.
    When the rep came over he found the engine cooling fans defective, wheels out of balance, rattles thru-out the car, the driver’s side window leaked air, the air conditioner compressor was bad and more. NOW that was on a BRAND NEW $300,00 Aston Martin DBS
    Then my NEW 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage had door opening problems, Mirror Problems, rattles everywhere, alarm problems and many other problems. Remember this is a BRAND NEW 2009 V8 Vantage loaded with issues when I got the car NEW!!
    So I can’t the Sales Manager for After Market sales in the USA for Aston Martin Mr. Gary Hyman. HE came to my home which was very nice but since I had just spent $ 500,000 on two cars that had many issues I think it was the least they could do. During our visit ME Hyman agreed that almost every issues I had was real and needed to be fixed.
    Mr. Hyman said they would sent a truck to pick up my DBS first then when they returned the DBS fixed they would pick up the Vantage fix it and return the car to me ( Mr Hyman’s email to me)
    Email from Gary Hyman after they picked the car up and sent it to Las Vegas 8 hours away from me, if I had to go pick it up they should have sent the car to Calif. Just a 3 hour drive from me. Mr. Hyman now states sorry we changed our mind you come get the car breaking the legal contract we had , DO NOT TRUST ASTOM MARTIN AND HERE IS PROOF.
    Gary

Here is a email with the agreement we had not only by phone but in writing with this email, a agreement is a contract and if you would like to change it I will fly down get the car and dive it back, then I will use the means I have to recover my daily cost, air fare, hotel etc.
    Mr Lentini
    First I apologise for not answering your emails , I was not purposely ignoring you I have been conducting a service clinic at a dealer the last 2 days and then drove 3 ½ hours home last night .
    You are absolutely right about the paintwork and there is no excuse, as agreed I will have the car collected on the return of the V8 and attended to by the body shop.
    Your emails have been forwarded to the general manager of Gaudin Aston martin and I will call you on Monday morning to discuss .
    Best regards,
    Gary Hyman
    Next when the dealer Gaudin in Las Vegas NV had my DBS they installed a new drivers window moulding and made the window leak more air and the wind noise was unbelievable. And they rubbed out the left rear fender with the wrong equipment leaving the fender with REALLY BAD CIRCLES in the paint.
    ( all the photos, emails, and letters about this will be posted on www.astonmartininfo.com in a few days so you can see just how badly they screwed up the cars, and lied to us.
    So Gaudin in Vegas was to pick up the car and fix the wind noise they put in the car, and it was agreed Aston Martin would send the car to a Exotic Car Paint shop to see how to fix the finish on the car the dealer really screwed up.
  • Same thing happened to me but, after I glided to the side of the road, the car restarted and I did not encounter the problem again. I have since sold the V8V but must admit that I sometimes miss it. But, not on long trips. I now have a Mercedes S63.
  • lizbobjlizbobj Posts: 2
    I have spoken to a few U.S. Aston Martin factory trained mechanics and came away with the impression that they did not believe that there were any design issues with a V8 Vantage clutch. However, many of these technicians have not seen many high mileage cars. Most V8 Vantages in the U.S. have less than 20,000 miles on them.

Next, I spoke to a technician in the UK who had seen a number of cars with mileage well in excess of 20,000 miles. He agreed that there is no design flaw with a V8 Vantage clutch. He has seen some cars do 60,000 miles with no problems. In his opinion, it all boils down to whether the clutch has been abused by owners who either ride the clutch pedal or who try to do F1 style starts from a stand still. Because the V8 Vantage is a high performance car, owners tend to punish their clutches more than those in more mundane transportation.

The UK technician felt that clutches with 20 - 30,000 miles on them may be prone to failure in the not too distant future if they have had a rough life. He also said the same is true for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and other exotics. The difference is that the clutch on Italian exotics will cost a lot more to replace than the clutch on an Aston Martin.

The UK technician identified the following warning signs of imminent clutch problems:
    1. A heavy clutch pedal.
    2. High bite point.
    3. Bad smell.
    4. Clutch won’t stall engine when brakes are applied firmly.

The UK technician also said that a V8 Vantage clutch can be fine one day and then fail the next. He also said that it should take about 10 hours of labor for an experienced technician to replace the clutch.
  • stang011stang011 Posts: 1
    do you have any contact name and numbers for aston? thanks
  • lizbobjlizbobj Posts: 2
    Sorry, I don't have any names and numbers. I simply called some of the biggest dealerships in the U.S. and UK and asked to speak to a service technician. I didn't take any names because I had no intention of quoting the person "on the record".

I didn't want to get a service technician in trouble for providing an opinion to me.
  • Hey CarDude67 -- just saw your post from '09 after searching for Vantage 2007 Clutch. Mine burned out on the fwy yesterday and left me clutchless, more or less as you describe. Car's still waranteed but Service is trying to tell me it may be "normal wear and tear" and charge me $5,200. I have 28k miles. How did you deal with your dealer? Thanks -- Andrew
  • Just purchased a 2007 V8V Auto with 25k miles. Car went into neutral at a red light and could not be place into gear. After several attempts, the vehicle went into fault mode and would not re-start. Has anyone had or heard of this experience?
  • Did the message screen in the odometer read: "fault gearbox reduced function" ?
  • yes, it turned out to be an ASM pump. $1,700.00 after two weeks of ownership. The AM dealer knocked $700.00 off because they felt sorry for me.
    Running fine now.
  • omegadentalomegadental Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Did you fix the problem right away or you waited until it got worse?
1235»