Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM Speedometer lawsuit filed

Comments

• I filed a complaint online with nhtsa tonight. I called Chevy today about the problem with my 2004 Chevy Silverado and was told my vehicle is 4 months to old to qualify for the repair, even though it has only 46000 miles. GM does not stand behind there products. This was my first purchase of a Chevy Pickup, I also own a 2007 Cobalt I purchased new. Chevy is off my list when I buy my next vehicle. I guess i got dumb in my older years and thought it was ok to purchase a Chevy boy was I ever wrong. I would love to get in the lawsuit against GM if it is still in progress.
  • disneymamadisneymama Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    I have read so many of these stories. I am having the same issues as so many others. What I am trying to find out is how you start the process with Chevy? Wer have an 03 Tahoe with 90K miles Of course we emailed them, and that was 3 weeks ago with no response. I could pay someone on ebay and take a chance but something just seems wrong, so many are having this issue and nothing is done. Can someone tell me the route they took to get this resolved? We can be a squeaky wheel and in the meantime use our phone for a speedomter and hope we don't get going too fast on I-5! I would so appreciate any help at all!!
  • For the speedometer only problem, you are talking about a defective 6 dollar part, the needle stepper motor. You just need a friend who has electronics as a hobby and knows how to solder in a small new component on a circuit board. Getting at the circuit board is not that hard, I have seen much harder repairs. The one I did for a friend a few months ago is working fine. But the repair process is extensive enough that the deals on line in the range of $80 if you send them your circuit board are quite reasonable.

I posted helpful YouTube, stepper motor purchase info, and forum locations a while back on this thread. I'd love to help you if you only lived near Knoxville, Tn. Good luck.
  • lgmrlgmr Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tahoe and am having problems with the dash and the electrical system. Battery died this morning, after having issues for the past several weeks – whenever I started it in the morning, everything would reset (clock, radio, etc.) similar to the battery being replaced. This morning, it wouldn’t start at all. Before this started, the dash stopped working (Yes, I have been driving for several years without a working speedometer), except for the gas gauge – thankful for that! She just doesn’t have the same ‘umpf’ in the morning anymore – I had attributed that to her age in miles. Oh, the mileage is > 135,000. I read on another thread that some grounding wires might be loose and that others have fixed their problems by tightening the bolts. I have absolutely no clue as to what they are talking about. Any suggestions? I love this vehicle and do not want to trade her in.
  • I fixed my problem via ebay... cost 36 bucks.... repladed all 6 guage motors.... works great, just need a little soldering experiance.... but today I just met my most difficul experiance with GM dealership.
    $102.50 for each software upgrade needed for my suburban.
    All I ask for was to have the XM function turned on for my Bose system...
    I gave them my VIN nu,mber and they said I need over 2K in software upgrade to the computer system before the port can be activated.. but I would have to buy th the package also.l
  • as far as the problems we were having . . . fixed all the gauges getting new motors via ebay and taking the cluster out and soldering in new motors. The other issues (electrical) finally came to a head when the car died and AAA could not get it to start via jumping it. Turned out to be the battery and starter. New battery and new starter and no more sounding weak, no more clock reset, no more starter sticking (metal grinding) and it runs like it used to. I know a new starter and battery might not be a cheap fix but after so many other suggested it I am happy to report it has done the job for us so far.
  • I am having the same problem with the TEMP needle. IS there anyway i could get that guys name and number so i could give him a call and mail mine out to him?

Thanks
    Travis
  • Well I wish I was aware of so many issues for the 05' suburban before I purchased it (new). I had a 2002 Tahoe with NO problems and traded for the 05 suburban as we needed the extra space (5 kids, one travel softball player). My Dad, who passed away three weeks ago :-(, was corp secretary for GMAC for 25 yrs when GM was in Manhattan. I wanted to remain faithful to the GM brand but it is really hard to when there were so many problems with this 05. The speedometer quit working just after the warranty was over (3yrs/36k). I went to the dealer as they had worked on it due to a "clicking" noise I was hearing when first purchased. They refused to acknowledge the problem everyone was having and informed me it would be $600 - mind you, it was JUST after warranty and they had worked on it before. I wish I had filed a lemon suit against them... but 'faithful' was there. I have had so many problems with this vehicle - it is currently in the shop for U joint problems - sounded like a machine gun. Granted, I now have 77k on it but they are also going to quote me on the window and door lock which also quit after the warranty - window part broke causing it to fall down and door lock won't lock, just opens and sounds off alarm. The ABS brake light is always on along with the brake ... anyway to stop my car from the 'informational alarm' when I first start it (when it starts.... it like to kick over after 2-3 tries).

As far as my speedometer, some of the other gauges work but the oil gauges does not. I believe the rest work, although they could be fooling me by showing a good reading. The speedometer may work at times (rarely and then quits) or it will read 0 or 120. I enjoyed taking a pic at 120 and put a pic of my vette next to it. Fooled some. lol

It is a shame that GM does not fix the problem with the speedometer - guess the Gov.t was in charge when the suit was originally filed... or at least contact all with the issue and help. I am curious as to someone $7.00 fix. Wonder if I can fix it myself...

Husband disabled (thanks UPS) had we adopted two children from foster care (before disability) and had three of our own... When we purchased this expensive vehicle, we sure weren't thinking "what problems will we have." Guess this is the reason people by Toyota/Honda.

Meg
  • Just wondering where you purchased your part to fix the speedometer? Looks like I could get the panel out but how did you replace the part? Did an auto parts store have it? Does it just snap on or is it soldered?

Thanks, Meg
  • I need to get mine fixed as well. Gas gauge...everything went...any info as to what to do would be great....

Thanks,
    Rory
  • Fixing gauges in your chev is SUPER EASY AND SUPER CHEAP!
    I can't tell you specifically who to buy them from, but go to ebay and type in stepper motors. They ar e about 6.00 each, he will give you detailed instructions, or you can even send it to him.
    It is possible to drive your car without the gauge box in the car, looks really funny, I did it for a day while my hubby took mine to work and fixed it.
    Super easy
  • virgo66virgo66 Posts: 3
    My Auto Dealer Larry h Miller in Utah sold me a 2005 Silverado with the same exact problem and within day's i notticed the prob with the cluster panel, and they passed inspection on it and want to cherge me 185.00$ to fix it can you help me?
    So how do we turn this into a class action suit that is nation wide?
  • Why sue? Parts break. Nothing lasts forever. It's a super easy fix. Ebay, type in stepper motors, there's a guy that sells them cheap, and gives you easy directions to fix. he even lists his number in case you have questions. He will even fix it for you.

Buy American made cars...one day there might not be any. Just last month, Carrier said they are closing another plant in Tx. My neighbor had to put his house on the market. Now what are they going to do? I hardly think the citizens of Mexico (where the plant is headed, btw), are going to start buying air conditioning units.
  • 2003_z062003_z06 Posts: 7
    Do you have the guys Ebay name? I would like to make sure i get the right item. I found how I can take out the panel, just need to know if I can put the clusters in myself. Not sure exactly what part I'm looking for, heard they are really inexpensive - dealer wanted $500 to fix! lol Thanks, Meg
  • onecoguyonecoguy Posts: 1
    I purchased 2 identical 2005 Silverado 2500HD Diesel trucks new in 2005. Both trucks had the exact same problems within 30 days of each other namely:
    - Headliner came loose over drivers door and rear window
    -all 4 factory batteries failed (30 days out of warranty)
    -drivers seat cushion ripped
    - speedo and odometer failed

When 2 identical trucks have the exact same failures within 30 days of each other, it's obviously a manufacturinig defect/planned obsolescence issue. Neither of my trucks were in the serial number range and although they had the eaxct same faileure within the allotted mileage chevy denied responsibility. Best of all they never notified anyone about the speedo failure because Chevy deemed it wasn't a "safety issue". Are you kidding me, coming off the interstate with a loaded trailer to a 180 degree turn and a speed limit warning isn't a safety issue.

It's no wonder chevy needed the govt to bail them out!

Our local dealer (Cox Chevrolet) wouldn't do a thing about any of the problems other than quote inflated repair prices, so I researched it on my own and found a number of guys on eBay that will repair the speedometer cluster with non-OEM parts for less than $100. Repairs by Chevy are done with the exact OEM parts that fialed to start with.

Check it out on ebay and save yourself a ton. I've repaired one of my trucks and it worked fine.
  • cman20cman20 Posts: 1
    yea I had the speedometer go out on my 2003 chevy silverado 2500 before
    the 36,000 mi and the dealer repaired it free of charge. now my new speedometer is reading past 120 mph @64,805 mi. and it's not likely to be free of charge this time round. I have had this problem twice
    I was told that if you solder the back of the speedometer that it should take care or the prob, i just haven't had time to fix mine
  • 2003_z062003_z06 Posts: 7
    If you go on youtube, they show you have to take out the cluster panel - - you can then take it somewhere locally who will put in the new clusters and it is supposed to fix the problem. I have a place locally who do it for $200. I just have not had the time to remove the panel. I use my phone as my speedometer - - yep, there is an APP for that! I am disgusted with this 2005 Z71 Suburban which we purchased new - ashamed of GM for not correcting the problem but then again, I guess that could be O's fault! My Dad was a former corp officer of GMAC and he would be sickened to know what has transpired with a company we grew up with knowing.
  • I own two Chev, two Subaru and an Infinity. Love the chev's. However the problems stay the same and I spend all of my time fixing them. Like the blown brake line today, the blown Trans line two weeks ago. Buy foreign, let your neighbor lose his job and drive with confidence ! Nuff sed !
  • replaced speedometer / odometer for 300.00 in the chev. one month ago, never in the Sub's or Infin. !
  • In reading all of the posts here I am at least glad to know that these issues are common among 2004 Tahoe owners. Now I'd just like to find out what Chevy has been willing to do if anything.
    My instrument cluster has followed a similar deterioration as mentioned here.
    First my fuel gauge stopped working, then the tachometer, then the MPH. I should rephrase for accuracy. The needles still operate but they are far from accurate as Im sure Im not pulling 6000 RPM at 10 MPH. I know this because I had to purchase a $150 scan gauge that plugs into the diagnostic harness under the dash. This is my only means of detecting fuel levels, speed, temperature, RPM, etc.
    This is inconvenient as you may imagine but not my biggest problem with the Tahoe. Conveniently a few weeks before my warranty was up I started losing fan motor speed settings on my A/C. The A/C fan has levels 1 - 5. One by one starting at that point I have lost fan control. Of course first I had the same experience at the repair counter with the part not being available when I was still under warranty and now in the period of time sine this first started happening I now have only lebvel 5. This has created a running joke in my family where daddy and daddy's car are the brunt of the joke. So when a passenger gets in the car now on a hot day we have the choice of deafening level 5 fan setting or sweating to death. This by the way is fleeting at best as now I am experiencing intermitant loss of my last fan setting. It's a great way to treat clients and children of friends and family. They appreciate it so much they have to tell others about it. Thanks Chevy!
  • Don't worry, the needle will eventually stop working completely. Sometimes I was going 20mph, sometimes 120mph... Funny, was never pulled over for it. My joke is taking a pic of my 120mph and having it next to my vette. Now people think not only am I speeding but I'm taking pics of it too. (Some dont know to look close enough to see it is not my Z06 speedometer, lol. Yep, thanks Chevy for the malfunctions of my '05 suburban.
  • Replaced the silverado speed cluster, now my Tahoe gas gauge intermitantly works
  • Does anyone know if there was a lawsuit filed in Massachusetts? I have a 2005 Suburban 1500 with only 62,000 miles and less than 7 years since the "in service" date when the tach started to act up, then the speedometer and then the oil pressure gauge. The dealer will only pay half of the $500+ replacement cluster and GM will do nothing to help; they leave all the "goodwill" warranty decisions up to the dealers. Since my VIN is outside the range specified on the Special Coverage Policy, GM will not pay for the entire cost of the repair.
  • mare6mare6 Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Chevy Silverado in late 2010. To date, my truck has 49,809 miles on it - it's a third vehicle that's hardly ever used. A few days ago, my speedometer went crazy sticking on 0, 100, or 120 ... regardless of my speed. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it and was told that it was the cluster and all that other mess that was argued in the lawsuit. He then informed me that they wouldn't fix it because the warranty/recall expired last year (2012).

I purchased this vehicle after all the issues with them surfaced and a lawsuit had actually taken place and they sold me this truck, knowing there was a problem and didn't inform me of the problem. Now they are telling me that it will cost $550.00 to fix it.

Anyone know of any suits taking place in Pennsylvania?
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    All of you involved with any lawsuits will either see a coupon for a free oil change or another coupon for $500.00 off a new vehicle as a result of a "successful conclusion". The Lawyers will see millions.

Class action lawsuits (with very,very,few exceptions) are a joke and only enhance the pocket books of the Lawyers.
  • mltsurgermltsurger Posts: 102
    I would hope we get a free oil change, why would I want a coupon off a brand that is junk !
  • I have had 10 suburbans 1973 thru 2004 and this is my last one. It has 83,000 miles on it --i did buy this one used ---recently I have had the valves ground because of the plastic intake manifolds expand and contract --about 1 1/2 years ago I had a fuel pump installed---the radio amp went out last week --- and the speedometer went out about 2 months ago--- I went out today to order a new cluster and I have to go thru a dealer for the sum of $475 or there abouts --- This auto ran about $55,000 new and it is a LEMON---I will never buy another chevy product and I have had chevy's since 1960. For them to capitlize on their mistake is very unethical and they can take it and improve their engineering and practice on Communist China!