Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM Speedometer lawsuit filed

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited July 2010
    Read back thru these Edmund forums, a number of individuals have posted their success with different mail away repair locations.

I know a while ago there was a posting, where there was a video on the vendors website which actually showed the process to remove the cluster, and install the repaired cluster. Appears to be fairly simple and straighforward process.
  • I have 2004 silverado 2500hd bought it 3 years ago right after I got it I got A letter about some of them having problems with the speedometer if you had over 70,000 miles it wouldnt be covered well I had over that as I bought it used and speedometer was okay till the following year now it works when ever it wants I called the dealership and they informed me it would cost me over 800 to fix it I dont make that kind of money so im still driving it that way after 2 years I think they should issue a recall and fix them
  • All,
    I know it feels good to vent about GM (Government Motors). As you can see from my previous posts, I did my share. But forget about GM from taking responsibility. They would not even pay off their direct debtors. They are so many billions in debt, they will be avoiding responsibility for many years to come I assure you. :lemon:

If you refer to my post #280, you will find a reference to a repair shop that took care of my speedometer for less than $100. :D He replaced all of the gauges and gauge lights - not just the speedometer gauge. You can find his business on ebay if you want to send in the unit, or you can take it by is shop if you live in the Muldrow, OK area. Honest guy making an honest living. Unlike most of the GM dealerships who charge $500-$900 to make this 20 minute repair.

It is shameful what GM is doing to loyal customers such as those on these post. This is why I am switching all of my business over to Ford. At least Ford pays their bills, accept their responsibility and make money the old fashioned way - they earn it. :)
  • tach and speedometer stuck, is this a recall? and is it hard to repair if i do it myself
  • See reply #280 and some of my previous other posts. It is a "silent" recall if you have certain VIN# and meet mileage requirements. GM is making millions off of the problem they created charging customers $500-800 for a job with parts/labor <$100.

It is very easy to remove (see post #280 for a how to video). to fix the gauge, find a local speed shop or use the guy I recommend on Ebay.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    dominic9,
    Please e-mail me with your VIN and I will look into recalls for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • cepakcepak Posts: 3
    It would have been really nice to have GM include the Trailblazer in this recall. I've been a loyal GM customer since I purchased my first new pickup in 1981 (at 17.5% financing). And every car my wife and I have ever purchased have been GM. Here is a list, just to show how much my wife and I have supported GM over the years.

1981 Chevrolet Scottsdale pickup
    1984 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
    1991 Chevrolet Geo Storm GSI
    1993 Buick Regal Gran Sport Sedan, fully loaded
    1996 Pontiac Sunfire, fully loaded
    1998 Chevrolet S-10 pickup
    2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Ext, V8, fully loaded (70,000 miles)
    2009 Cadillac CTS, fully loaded
    I even own a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Convertible.

Now show me a little loyalty and fix my instrument cluster.
  • I recentley had this problem, I located ' Digital guy "on Ebay under automotive suburban cluster repair., he's based in Minn, and has 11,000 customer's took about 2 weeks he did a great job replaces everything in your cluster.
  • I have a 2003 with a 5.3 flex fuel it has 130 k. When is a good time to have the timing chain done?> No symptoms yet run's great just wondering. Ive done a timing belt how much harder is doing a chain?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Please don't post phone numbers on the forum. They change and we get complaints. Company names and URLs are fine. Thanks.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

cepak,
    If you would like to e-mail me with your request/situation, involved dealer, VIN, current mileage, and contact information I will look into recall information and your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Does anyone know of a place that can fix a 2004 suburban speedometer in the Oklahoma City area? I really want to keep this vehicle, but don't want to pay a ton of money at the dealership either.
    Thank you :confuse:
  • I have purchased four Chevy vehicles in the last seven years alone. Most of the time, whenever we have issues the problems are resolved quickly. For instance, the power steering on our cobalt was faulty, but it was replaced immediately at no cost to us.

Now, our speedometer has started to act up. We are at 92,000 miles, and I am extremely unhappy that we might have to pay hundreds of dollars to have it fixed. It sounds like hundreds, if not thousands of people are having a similar issue. Our speedometer says are doing 20 mph on the highway, when I know we are going 60 plus. I will get stuck sometimes at 90 plus. We we turn it off, it stays at 90. It will sometimes drop 5 mph each time I start it.

I hear there are multiple lawsuits going on. Can anyone please point me in the right direction if I can not get Chevy to fix this for free, which they obviously should since it is a known issue?

Not that it needs to be said, but I have no intention of ever buying a Chevy if they can't fix this issue.

Thank you anyone who can help steer me in the right direction.

matthewgarcia.rr@gmail.com
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, Matthew! Welcome aboard.

We ask that you not include your email address in postings to the Forums. Thanks.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • The 2003-2006 clusters out of the Silverado's,Sierra,Tahoe,Escalade etc...are very easy to remove, 10 minute job. The plastic trim(or bezel) around the cluster comes off very easy and is only held in place with clips. It is all one piece from the cluster to the radio.Put your steering wheel down and your vehicle in low gear,pry off the trim with your fingers, Then remove the 4 screws at the cluster with a 7mm socket.The wiring harness has two clips which you squeeze together and unplug.
  • Logged into this forum to let you guys know that GM, specifically my Chevy dealership here in Cleveland Ohio is honoring the special extension of the warranty for the instrument cluster stepper motor issue...
    Just started happening to my truck last week and now the speedo is pegged out and doesn't move.
    On one of the forums, there is talk about the extra warranty and it is true. I will have to take the truck in for them to verify the trouble and get the correct part number, then return for them to put the new instrument cluster in. All for free, parts and labor are completely covered.
    On a web site I found it talked about a mileage limitation, all work free till 70,000 miles and truck must have a vin inside a particular range. Apparently mine fits. Also, the site mentioned a limitation of 7 years from date of service. I have a 2004 Silverado 2500 HD and they are doing it for free next week when the cluster comes in.
    All of the info here and other forums has been such a big help I though I would share...
  • hdgal3hdgal3 Posts: 7
    How many miles does your truck have on it ?
  • My speedometer went this week on my suv. 2005 surburban bought in 2006 with 55,564 miles. Chevy says to bring in for a diagnostic (my cost) and they will decide what to do. My car is NOT among the vehicles in the class action suit Vin #....I said it is very clear whats up with my erratic speedometer and they should include more Vin # for the replacement, labor, of this cluster defect.....Anyone know of additional help from chevy that I can get?
    kerry1111,
    I apologize for your inconvenience. Have your spoke with Customer Assistance already? If so can you please e-mail me your case number? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service