Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM Speedometer lawsuit filed

Comments

• UP Date: GM sent me a RECALL notice.!
    went to Dealer that i bought truck from and they still had to verifie that it was BROKE and VIN.
    then said they would have to order part in and would call me . Its been 5 days and NO Call !!! :confuse: :(
  • rockman59rockman59 Posts: 250
    ster49 said: Its been 5 days and NO Call !!!
  • I was just hit with the speedometer curse as well (right now it's sitting on 60 mph when I'm parked). I have an '04 Silverado and of course my warranty just expired two months ago. Does anyone have any new advice to share??? Thanks!
  • lkbumlkbum Posts: 6
    Received Recall notice yesterday, for failure within first 7 years or 70,000 miles.
  • I live in Georgia and a 2003 Tahoe and noticed my speedometer had stopped working on Saturday. In park it sits on 40mph, I currently have 91,000. I need some advice on what to do. :mad:
  • Looks like everyone with a broken speedometer is gonna get taken care of. IKbum posted this notice:

"Received Recall notice yesterday, for failure within first 7 years or 70,000 miles"
  • I just spoke w/the svs mgr and my local Chev dealership & he said GM just came out w/a provision for the odometer problems where they w/fix or reimburse for repairs on your
    veh up to 7 yrs or 70,000 miles. He is going to fax me a claim form to get reimbursed. I'll believe it when I see the check.......w/keep this BB updated.
  • My car is just over the 70,000 miles. Anyone get this fixed by a dealer with higher than 70,000 miles? I have appointment on Friday. Will most likely cancel unless they have parts.... :cry:
    I took my 2004 Yukon XL in today with my letter from GM. They knew about the problem and asked to see the letter. They corrected me on a MAJOR point, this is NOT a RECALL, but a "Special Provision by GM" for replacement or reimbursement for failure. In other words, they only replace it if it fails within 70,000 miles or 7 years of service. This seemed kind of sketchy to me. Especially because it is limited to 70,000 miles (7 years should be more like 100,000 miles on average) . Mine failed at about 65,000 miles. A few more months and I might have been SOL.
    Sounds like GM took the cheap way out on a known problem, maybe they had analysis to show if the failure did not occur within 70,000 miles it never would, or maybe they just thought they would quiet the current batch of squeaky wheels with this half a$$ approach instead of a full recall.
  • Thats great for everyone who is under 70k my 2004 broke at 72k and it says that on the recipt sucks for me.....
  • Does the GM notice apply to 2003 models or just 2004? I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban w/ the same problem. Is the instrument cluster the same in both years?
    The notice said within 70,000 miles or within 7 years of the date placed in service (I assume this is the purchase date). The letter was addressed to "me" on my "2004" vehicle. It made no reference to other model years or models for that matter, only "my" vehicle. Sorry I couldn't help more. The notice listed these numbers for assistance:
    Customer Service 866-996-9463
    Reimburesement 800-204-0261
  • tireguytireguy Posts: 193
    To read this forum you'd think the 04 Yukon is the biggest POS ever built.
    I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4x4, built in Janesville, WI. I have driven it 55,000 trouble free miles. Still looks like new, great service at my local dealership. Can't complain.
  • dgm1dgm1 Posts: 2
    Boy are you ever right. Issuing a recall would be a huge expense and would cost them a fortune so they are taking the easy way out. I have a 2004 Tahoe and the speedo stopped working around 65,000 miles. We attempted to have it fixed once to no avail. I now have 77,000 miles and just received the notice. I called the local dealer and they told me they would be happy to take care of it if GM approved. GM approved, but not the dealer (who way quite rude when they called me) says sorry you are over milage, did not purchase the vehicle here and have not had it serviced here. The veichle was purchased used from another GM dealer) I called GM again to complain and am waiting on a call back. Chevrolet customer did tell me that now dealerships are independently owned and they they no longer have all the say so. How sad is that,
  • dgm1dgm1 Posts: 2
    I too live in GA and have a 2004 Tahoe. The speedo stopped working around 65,000 and we attempted to fix once with no sucess. I now have 77,000 and am waiting on call back from GM as I was treated horibbly by Thornton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs. The 800 # to call to complain and ask for help is 800-630-2438.
    Good luck...
    Tireguy,

I'm glad you are pleased with your vehicle. I am for the most part, but it will be the last GM vehicle I purchase. I have had multiple problems, all pretty minor but it has been an absolute nightmare getting things fixed.

When my rear window hinge broke (if this has not happened to you, it will), the dealer I normally used said they had never heard of this problem. I asked the rep. to look it up on the internet and he said "he didn't have internet access". I called GM and they connected me to another dealer who said they were fixing two to three of these a week. They wanted $800 for the new window and told me since I didn't use them for regular service they would not help me in anyway and suggested that I call my "normal" dealer back and telll them they were full of sh1t. I did this and once again they said they had never heard of the problem and therefore could not help me. I called my insurance company, used their glass repair service and had it done for $450. I called GM 4 times and after they realized this was my 3rd Suburban/Yukon in 10 years and I also own a GM truck they gave me a $400 service credit for oil changes and tire rotations.

I have also had issues with paint peeling on the dash(fixed underwarranty but now peeling again). Water leaks (we're in a drought so I really don't know if this has been fixed), my rear A.C. blower motor was replaced (and has started making the same whinin nosie again), "flickering" lights (the dealer can't seem to replicate this one becuase they don't work on cars at night) and a whiny power steering pump which after replaced has worked ok. All have been repaired, for the most part, and under warranty. But each time the dealer has had the vehicle for more than a day and most times it took two trys to fix them and usaully they give me a song and dance about having to get approval from GM to fix the problem.

This is unacceptable. I have a Toyota (1990 truck) and my wife drives a Lexus. The biggest difference in the products???? Toyota/Lexus stand behind their product when I've had problem, they admit it, fix it and offer a loaner if I'm incovienanced. I started buying GM again back in 1994 because the suburban was the only vehilce of it's type available and because my state (georgia) passed a lemon law. My 1994 was pretty good, I sold it with 120,000 miles on it. My 1999 was not quite as good, traded it with 90,000 miles because I could not sell it. I'd like to keep the 2004 for a few more years but my patience is really running thin.
  • Guess I'm lucky, 04 Tahoe with speedometer failure at 29,000 miles but the 3/36 warranty expired a few months ago. GM dealer fixed it today for free. Paperwork states the IPC was replaced. The "letter" GM supposedly mailed out months ago - I received it today while the Tahoe was in the shop. GM's are just junk, I've owned my last one. I got the Tahoe thinking they've made it forever, they've got to have it figured out. That'll teach me to think.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Hey Tireguy, always good to see you! Hope you had a great Vets Day.
  • bigz04bigz04 Posts: 12
    Real quick thanks for posting the C.S. number (866-996-9463) My speedometer has been going crazy on and off the last month, in my case it will bounce under what speed I'm doing and shot back down to zero then start working fine again on my 2004 Chevy Silverado with 25,000 miles. The C.S. agent I talked to gave me all the info I need to have my local dealership fix it for free with no B.S.
  • I just received my "letter" from Chevy yesterday, Nov. 13th. I'm in Texas. I noticed from this message board that some folks received their letters 2-3 weeks ago! What is first date someone received their letter? I'm at 72000 miles today and a couple of weeks ago I was under 70000 miles. I've been having the speedometer problem for over a year now but read about the lawsuits and was hoping for a full recall - not just an extension of the warranty! How lame is this???