Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Towing tips for SUVs

1141516171820»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    How steep are those 5 miles of roads? How steep is the ramp? What does Honda's owner's manual say you need in terms of equipment to safetly tow 4500lbs (weight distributing hitch?) and lastly what does your insurance policy for the boat say about tow vehicle ratings? You wouldn't want to get in an accident and have them deny the claim due to over-weight limit towing.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • The ramps are average with few hills after that. I've heard that the towing capacity is determined by the legal department more than the engineering team...thoughts?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    There's a reason for towing limits, and I don't think it necessarily begins in legal instead of engineering.

Utility Trailers are Dangerous

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Depending on the vehicle that is doing the towing, a lot of limits are set in the legal department. For instance I tow with my Armada a 10,000-11,000lb performance boat trailer. It's rated for 9,100lbs w/weight distributing hitch. It tows it fine and w/o issue, however, legally it's well over the limit.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • moms4x4moms4x4 Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4X4, with a 4.0 V6 and automatic transmission. I have a 23 1/2 foot Coachman camper trailer. The empty hitch wt. is 550, empty axle wt. is 3150, and the total gross axle wt is 5320. I am trying to find out if my Jeep can handle the load or not. Thanks
  • clumzyclumzy Posts: 1
    I have a toyota 4runner 2002 sport edition. Currently i am towing a 1400lb boat. the problem is how should i be towing it. i have a pwr button and overdrive button. i will be taking a 4 hour trip with the boat and am not trusty with the towning. what should i do before i take the trip and how should i be towing the 4 runner correctly? thanks
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    This is probably to late to help you for your trip. But, a 1,400 lb boat is basically a non issue for a 4Runner. Tow in O/D and drive at sane speeds and you'll be fine. If you tow up steep grades you may want to lock out o/d to keep the trans from shifting in and out of o/d.
This discussion has been closed.