Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smart Fortwo

Comments

• kelly1stkelly1st Posts: 4
    I just re-read your post and I should mention the handling in the snow. I reside in Mass. I couldn't wait for the first snow fall to test the Smart and see how it did in the snow. First snow fall I took it out to an open parking lot and put it into every possible slide I could and did all I could to fish tale it. The more I tried at high speeds it just did verry slight slides and then corrected itself as if it didn't want to slide. I finely realized why and it is due to the light weight of the Smart compared to a bigger car such as my Chevy Impala. I drove the Impala like I did the Smart I could have gotten it into a 360 turn around but the Smart slid very littel. It sildes but with no pressure to the gas of the brake it just corrects itself as the ABF does it's job for you! It drove good over the snow minus snow tire's. With snow tires no issue at all in heavy snow or even ice for that matter. Same with any car when it comes to both snow and Ice, drive with caution but more importantly watch out for the other drivers who think they can ignore safety when it comes to snow and ice or worse yet those who think because htey have a four wheel drive they can do 50 and 60 in snow. All that means is you got more ways to wreck then with just a two wheel drive. In answer to your question, the Smart does fine in snow. Better actually since with the Smart you can heat up your seats in the winter and that makes for a toasty warm drive!!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Doesn't the Smart have stability control? If so, that may be one reason why it didn't slide much.
  • cburn85cburn85 Posts: 2
    Fantastic information and all good news to me. As soon as I pull enough together for a downpayment I'm going to make my way to a dealership, or rather the only dealership with them here in Oklahoma. My last hurdle is just going to be getting used to all the attention I'm going to get. These things probably gets stares and comments in the big cities, but here in Oklahoma I have yet to see a single smart on the road so I know I'll turn heads.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    aww, you probably already turn heads.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,690
    I cant get past the requirement for premium gas. Effectively cuts the mileage by 10-20%. No diesel?
  • stout7735stout7735 Posts: 20
    Handle it, cheapskate... :cry:
    My new Yaris will handle it very well indeed! The same mileage, the same price, room for four, and does it all on regular!
    However, your Yaris does not have a high performance engine,asymetrical tires,transparent roof,automatic air,paddle shifters,leather steering wheel,red interior,sport suspension, and non- corrosive body panels that my Corvette like Smart Passion has... ;)
    Nor does it need them!
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    watching the minions of this board argue over whose tiny, little dangerous car is better! Both the Yaris and Smart are deathtraps. The "Smart" scores 130 and the Yaris 118, both very near the bottom of the list in safety.

http://www.informedforlife.org/demos/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/1MasterSCOREr.pdf
    I think we need to be driving smaller cars. Im all in favor of cars the size of the Smart Car. I ride a motorcycle so driving a small car, even a Smart, doesnt scare me. Theres a risk (pretty small for me because I dont drive much) but I think its worse to feed economys like the Venezulans, Russians, and Saudis etc who hate us.
    It's also amusing watching you, priggly, come back like the Energizer bunny, popping up on a forum of a car you hate, and blathering on about how unsafe it is to people who have chosen to purchase the car and love it. I do hope you are spending at least as much time on the Ranger forums telling those poor saps how much more unsafe their trucks are than even a lowly smart deathtrap. And all those Harley riders you gotta reach! Saving lives, one inane post at a time.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,722
    In what universe does the Yaris get the same gas mileage as the Smart? Last time I checked the Smart got better gas mileage. Even considering the extra costs of premium gas the Smart will get you further on a dollars worth of gas.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

Smart 33 mpg in town. My Yaris is getting between 35 and 36 mpg in town albeit i have driven only about 800 miles so far. The official numbers for the Yaris is 29 mpg. Maybe i would also do better than 33 if I drove the Smart. Whats premium now 40 cents more/gallon? Regular is $2.50 in NJ.
    Close your trap. Who made you the board censor, anyway?
  • Looks like some folks can not take it when expressions of others differ from theirs. This whole forum is quite informative if one just takes it for its purpose and not be so serious in making or intrepreting statements.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    Let's back off the personal stuff please

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I di a little figuring on the added cost of running premium in a car as opposed to regular. Its not as bad as I thought. In two cars getting the same mileage but one running on premium and one running on regular, the car requiring premium will cost about 7.5 per cent more for fuel. In the case of a car getting 33 mpg thats the equivalent of 2.3 miles per gallon. Or looking at in another way the car running on regular will cost $75 per thousand miles of driving, whereas the premium based car will cost $81. Thats $600 over 100k miles. (at $2.5 0per gallon for regular, $2.70 for premium)
    "Americans are buying more small cars to cut fuel costs, and that might kill them.

As a group, occupants of small cars are more likely to die in crashes than those in bigger, heavier vehicles are, according to data from the government, the insurance industry and the National Academy of Sciences (NAS)."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-08-19-small-cars_N.htm
    But drivers of oversized cars are subsidising countries who sponsor terrorism and wasting our irreplacable natural resources. What price do you put on that? Besides wed be a lot safer if everyone drove a small car.
    Don't worry...The Smart will be a full sized car in 2016.... ;)
    Thanks again for your continued input. I am certainly enlightened by it all. But as you can see, there are other points of view and many ways to measure things. Yours is but one.

One wouldn't necessarily think of the smart as safer by most any measure than the Ford Ranger, but apparently it is. Thus general groups of vehicles show trends, but there is greater variety in safety when comparing individual models. Now, has anyone heard about a spate of deaths or dismemberments due to driving a smart? Some real world information would be helpful.

Small cars will eventually be here in quantity. Oil will go back into triple digits sooner than we think (any up hiccup in the market appears to drive up price--as it is now a better investment than the dollar and stocks--and any economic upturn that is real will drive the price up further) and car makers have plans for many more small models. It is true by almost any measure that new small cars are safer than older large cars. But it takes a long time for the fleet to change over. Meanwhile, safety tech will continue to develop. I don't think anyone would have thought 20 years ago that it was possible to make a car as tiny as the smart as safe as it is.

Most small cars do not have stability control, brake assist, six airbags, etc. whereas these things have become common on larger vehicles. All of those things will soon be standard equipment on all cars.

It is strange how safety concerned some of us have become (myself included). I remember as a kid riding in the back of a 60s station wagon...no car seat, no seat!, no seat belt on, no shoulder harness, no airbags. Today my parents would be investigated by child protection services. And those things, big as they were, crumbled up and burst apart easily on impact. Somehow most of us survived. Part of that is due to the fact that on a driven miles basis, a truly horrific crash is extremely rare.

A little off topic here, sorry. I was one of the first to order a smart. I cancelled the order and bought something else. Now, looking at what is coming for fuel prices, I have some regret. I drive 140 miles in the beginning of the week, stay a few days for work, and then return 140 miles a few days later (with city driving each day while I am there). I have been doing this for years, and I have hardly ever encountered any traffic problems, let alone seen any awful accidents (have seen a number of minor misshaps). Not that it couldn't happen. But I end up driving my oldest vehicle, a diesel, because I can always get smart level (42+ mpg) out of it. My newer car (average 28 mpg) sits much of the time. The smart would have gotten much more use.
    That's a load of crap. There is no shortage of natural resources except in the minds of AlGoreites. Are you one of these?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    Let's not veer off into other stuff. Thanks

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Maybe not but gas sure gets EXPENSIVE!
    Priggly, I have no idea, other than what I read, what quantity of oil is left. But that is beside the point, as perception is much more influencial than reality. The fact that oil has bounced up over $70, when there is no shortage of supply at the moment and demand is down for the foreseeable future, is proof enough of that.

And what is a load of crap? That I rode in a station wagon without a car seat as a kid? As for natural resources, there is a finite supply regardless of how much remains. You and I may think we do not have to worry about it--unless we care about the generations coming after us who may not have the same opportunities to lift energy easily from the earth--but everything does eventually run out, including the sun. Planning ahead for tighter supplies is not insane. But more to the point, when people fear something is growing more scarce, no amount of reassurance is going to convince them otherwise.

Finally, be nice. This isn't war here.
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Posts: 94
    "However, your Yaris does not have a high performance engine..."

I like the high-tech fabrication of the SmartCar (vs. Yaris) but was disappointed to learn that the US market has a very standard, if not old tech Mitsubishi engine in place of the Mercedes-sourced engine that was apparently in Gen I and/or current Euro-spec version/model? Is the diesel engine in the Canadian-market Smart a Mercedes?

Now if they put in a truly high perf., latest tech direct injection engine (and not necessarily from Japan) that would be worth talking about..

Who supplies what has been considered a rough/crude transmission, too?

I still think its a cool car - its just the IIHS or however did the testing whereby the Smart/Fit/Yaris got bounced like a ping-pong ball makes you take pause. Even though all of the above I still like the Smart Car better than the Fit and Yaris.

Any discounting off MSRP lately ( we are approaching 10% unemployment, if not already there now....)?

Thanks
    70 HP from 61 non-turbo cubic inches qualifies as a high performance engine...
    Transmission by Getrag, like in the Ferrari...
    Even Kelly Blue book lists it in their top 10 coolest cars under $18,000 (the Yaris didn't make the list)...
    Like the Rolls Royce,there is no discount off MSRP of the Smart yet...

;)
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Posts: 94
    Thanks stout7735 Follow-up question - someone posted that the (Getrag) tranny was designed to be abrupt between shifts -similar to a race car - precise like. I've read 10,000 complaints on the 'jerky' transmission but that was the 1st comment that might actually have explained it as an intentional design performance characteristic - can you shed any light on this transmission (non) issue?

So the Mitsu engine is fine - good to go?

Thanks again
  • I am of the opinion that a Smart is the perfect car if you live in a big city. If I would have one I would use it for daily business. With this car it is definitely a lot easier to find a parking spot and additionally you have enough space in order to stow the purchase.