Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smart Fortwo

1141516171820»

Comments

• prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    edited October 2010
    In essence, the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) crash test results confirm the fundamental laws of Physics – when two vehicles are accelerating at the same rate, the one with a bigger mass exerts more force (F = m * a). In short, if a Cadillac Escalade collides head-on with a Smart Fortwo, most likely the Smart driver would suffer more injury than the Escalade driver. For vehicles (and among other things), size matters.

http://www.automaxblog.com/2010/04/top-5-most-dangerous-cars/

Still, in an accident, "the laws of physics can't be repealed," said Russ Rader of the Arlington, Va.-based Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "Even with modern safety features like multiple air bags, people in small, light cars are always at a disadvantage in crashes."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19699245/
  • oldguy89oldguy89 Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    Yes, yes, most if not all people who drive cars are aware of said laws.
    But you know I hear this all the time, and once had a guy with a Honda Gold Wing tell me he wouldn't drive a smart as they aren't safe. Now that was a riot. Be honest there are a lot of small cars on the road, not to mention a lot of high powered fiber glass cars on the road, so the issue isn't just a smart issue. I just wish that people would recognize that this is an issue for all small cars and not just harp on the smart car.
    Just my 1 million turkish lira. :P
  • stout7735stout7735 Posts: 20
    Show me the bodies...Over 40,000 Smarts sold in America in the last 3 years and only 4 fatalities in Smarts... That is better survival rate than an average motor vehicle...Mercedes design and engineering trumps American common sense...
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    My friend, nothing trumps American common sense, least of all Mercedes engineering (or lack thereof).
  • stout7735stout7735 Posts: 20
    Don't talk smack, when American engineering built such gems as exploding Ford Pintos and "lethal at any speed crash" Ford F-150s...
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,891
    Let's not let this turn into a personal beef please.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    YA, don't talk about Toyota, Nissan, or mitsubishi to start.