Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smart Fortwo

• prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    edited October 2010
    In essence, the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) crash test results confirm the fundamental laws of Physics – when two vehicles are accelerating at the same rate, the one with a bigger mass exerts more force (F = m * a). In short, if a Cadillac Escalade collides head-on with a Smart Fortwo, most likely the Smart driver would suffer more injury than the Escalade driver. For vehicles (and among other things), size matters.

Still, in an accident, "the laws of physics can't be repealed," said Russ Rader of the Arlington, Va.-based Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "Even with modern safety features like multiple air bags, people in small, light cars are always at a disadvantage in crashes."
  • oldguy89oldguy89 Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    Yes, yes, most if not all people who drive cars are aware of said laws.
    But you know I hear this all the time, and once had a guy with a Honda Gold Wing tell me he wouldn't drive a smart as they aren't safe. Now that was a riot. Be honest there are a lot of small cars on the road, not to mention a lot of high powered fiber glass cars on the road, so the issue isn't just a smart issue. I just wish that people would recognize that this is an issue for all small cars and not just harp on the smart car.
    Just my 1 million turkish lira. :P
  • stout7735stout7735 Posts: 20
    Show me the bodies...Over 40,000 Smarts sold in America in the last 3 years and only 4 fatalities in Smarts... That is better survival rate than an average motor vehicle...Mercedes design and engineering trumps American common sense...
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    My friend, nothing trumps American common sense, least of all Mercedes engineering (or lack thereof).
  • stout7735stout7735 Posts: 20
    Don't talk smack, when American engineering built such gems as exploding Ford Pintos and "lethal at any speed crash" Ford F-150s...
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,415
    Let's not let this turn into a personal beef please.

Need some roadside assistance? - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    YA, don't talk about Toyota, Nissan, or mitsubishi to start.
This discussion has been closed.
Smart Fortwo - Page 20 - Car Forums at